PDA

View Full Version : college tennis tournaments

papaten
05-13-2010, 02:56 AM
Is college tennis the only sport where athletes have to stop playing once a certain number of team wins/points are recorded? (It seems so unfair.) Does anyone know the history behind this regulation? Thanks.

tennisjon
05-13-2010, 03:51 AM
Unless there are ranking implications, one of the reason why matches are stopped once the team wins is to prevent injury. Should one of your players get injured after a match has been decided, that player may not be able to compete in the next rounds. Also, there is a certain fatigue factor of having to play day after day. If your match is still going on after the rest of the matches are done, there is a possibility that your match is more physical. As for the history behind it, I am not really sure.

tennis08tarheels
05-14-2010, 10:13 AM
How is it unfair? Once team a gets 5 (or 4 at DI) wins and clinches the match, nothing's going to change that. Also, it's mostly only during postseason play or when the teams are crunched for time.

bluetrain4
05-14-2010, 10:30 AM
Is stopping play even required all the time? Many matches during the year are played out to the full 7 or 9 points even if a team as already won the match.

I suppose at conference tourneys and NCAAs, they stop the matches both for rest/injury prevention, and more importantly, to free up court space for the next scheduled match.

I wonder, if your team was the last scheduled match for the day, if the teams could play out the match if they wanted to (not that I'd expect that to happen).

Oh, and the OP asked if college tennis was the only sport where matches were called early.

I can think of another -- golf match play.

And, in college softball (not sure about baseball) games are played with 10-run rules, where the game is called off if one team is leading by 10 runs. Now that's unfair, as theoretically the other team could come back in later innings.