PDA

View Full Version : Grommets for PT280

Brad Smith
05-13-2005, 05:41 AM
Which current Head rackets, if any, have grommets which fit the PT280?

Deuce
05-13-2005, 09:17 PM
LiquidMetal Radical/Radical Tour - I've put 3 LM Radical bumpers on Pro Tours. Can't speak for the rest of the grommets, but if the bumper fits, it's probably safe to say that the rest will fit, as well. Each grommet on the bumper is long enough on the Pro Tour, and all Head 98 sq. in., 18x20 racquets have the holes drilled in the same place, as far as I know - I've interchanged several bumper/grommet sets with various Head 98 sq. in., 18x20 frames over the years.

By the way, the LM Radical bumper is far superior to the original Pro Tour bumper. The LM bumper is one piece, and the strings sit significantly deeper, thus protecting them more. Not particularly easy to get it on the racquet - but worth the effort. And I promise it fits perfectly on the Pro Tour, once strung.

kinsella
05-14-2005, 07:10 AM
news we can use!

uk_skippy
05-14-2005, 08:11 AM
Brad,

you can fit either the i.prestige MP or the LM Prestige MP onto the PT280. The difference between the 2 is that the LM Pres CAPS are nearer the original PT280/PT630 strip. The i.pres strip is cut away at the bottom grommets of the strip (ie 5 & 7 o'clock position.)

Paul

Brad Smith
05-14-2005, 02:41 PM
Thanks guys. I'm going to try the LM Radical because I don't want the extra weight of the CAP grommets.

BTW, I'm switching back to the PT280 after close to two years with the PC600. I love the PC600 but I have been dealing with some on and off wrist and elbow pain for about the last 6 months. I believe the frame is a little too demanding for me and the extra work I have to do to play well with it has slowly taken it's toll on my arm. What's funny is that after 2 years with the PC600 I can now control the PT280 in a way I definitely couldn't before. I suppose my strokes have been "tuned" by the more demanding racket. Hopefully things will stay that way and I won't get lazy with a more powerful stick.

kinsella
05-14-2005, 05:19 PM
Brad:

Welcome back to 280 land. I had a similar experience with the ROK. I had tried the 280 earlier and liked it, but opted for a stick with more pop - HPS 6.1. After 20 months or so of ROKin' I found the 280 a walk in the park.

Your nicest 280 is in Singapore. Sorry.

I am up to 7 Chinese 280s, with two brand new ones that have not hit a ball yet -- taking a page from your book.

tandayu
05-14-2005, 05:26 PM
Brad & Kinsella, have you ever try to measure the weight on your PT 280 frame? My frames has weight ranging from the lightest at 340 gram strung to 350 gram.

kinsella
05-15-2005, 06:47 AM
Of the 5 in hand (two are in the mail), my strung weights (in grams), without overgrip or dampener (don't use one on this racquet - a first) are:

333, 334*, 337, 338, 339. *estimated, because it is not strung yet - I only plan to have 4 strung at a time and will leave the 2 new ones unstrung for "later."

The four strung (before lead tape to standardize balance) were (pts HL)

6, 7, 8.5, 6. A little lead here and there standardized the balance at 7 pts HL, with weights of 344, 344, 344 and 336.

Brad Smith
05-17-2005, 11:09 AM
Mine range from 348 g to 365 grams. This is strung with half-leather grip, overgrip, and dampener. I had even heavier ones that I sold.

John -- I still have 8 frames so I should be good for a while. I'm also using natural gut now so I'm not having to restring as often.

tandayu
05-17-2005, 04:51 PM
Brad and Kinsella, Thank you.

I supposed at 365 gram the frame is modified?

Waht is the heaviest you have on the Chinese version Pt 280?

Any of you try the cap from PT630 on PT280?

2 of my AUstrian frames are at 340 gram (including the addition of tourna)
and the other at 350 gram (stock). This is a big variance on the weight. The heavier one is more balance, while the lighter one is very head light.

kinsella
05-17-2005, 07:07 PM
Brad:

How much does the 1. Leather, 2. overgrip and 3. dampener add to the weight? I would estimate about 22 grams, which would put your sticks right in line with mine, which are naked!! My 22 grams is based on about 12 grams added by leather instead of synthetic, about 7 grams for the overgrip and 3 grams for the dampener. And what is up with "half leather"? What does that mean?

Tandayu:

Mr. Brad does not have Chinese 280s -- he sold me his last one. It is the WAY head light one (8,5 pts HL) that I took the lead off of and now I use it as a change of pace when I am sluggish.

I have never tried CAPs, although I am pretty sure my LM PRestige MP CAP set would fit. If it didn't, it would be very hard to get the old 280 grommet set back in. I have to imagine the 630 is a TANK.

There are a couple 630s for sale on **** -- 4 3/8 grip.

tandayu
05-17-2005, 09:50 PM
Kinsella,

I have 6 PT 630 frames which some came with cap, and the oldest version came with bumper guard like PT 280. None of these PT 630 (340 gram - 344 gram)is as heavy as my heaviest Austrian PT 630 (350 gram strung). This one frame is out of characters than my other Austrian PT280, PT 630, and chinese PT280.

I like this one particular PT280 on the weight, almost even balance feel and stability at impact (unlike my lightest chinese version which feels like vibrating at impact).

I will try put cap on this particular heaviest PT280 frame (strung), plus leather grip.......

Brad Smith
05-18-2005, 09:54 AM
tandayu:

The 365 gram frame was with CAP grommets. I never actually hit with it because it felt much too head heavy for me. It's my understanding that the PT 630 frame itself is lighter than PT 280 frame because the PT 630 is combined with the heavy CAP grommet. So if you put a CAP grommet on a 280 you will get a very heavy racket.

Maybe you should consider using lead tape to bring the weight of your lighter frames up to match the heavy PT 280. With a flexible frame like this extra weight can really help increase stability and power.

kinsella:

A half-leather grip is a leather grip with the top half removed. I have a one handed backhand so I don't need a full grip. I prefer to trim the weight and add some of it back with lead tape underneath the buttcap. This helps to offset the lead tape I put on the frame at 3/9.

22 grams sounds about right. The leather grip is probably a little more than 12 grams, and the overgrip is 5 grams. I can't remember the exact specs of the 3 rackets I have matched. It seems like they're a little more than 350 grams and 7 points HL. I used to play with them a little heavier and more headlight but I think this setup works better for me. It's closer to the "designed" balance of the frame.

Pro_Tour_630
05-19-2005, 11:25 AM
sorry guys I am retired from all of this, way too bussy to even play tennis never mind string or weigh anything. New kid, new dog, new house, MORE WORK AND MORE STRESS puts a damper on anything tennis, the good old days are over.

We all know by now that the best stick in the world,EVER... is the PT280/630, we should start a thread on only PT users to discuss the various string set ups. Note: no Luxilon users allowed to post ;-)

kinsella
05-19-2005, 07:19 PM
Chaho --

Good to hear from you. Glad your life is so full, but sorry so little of that is tennis. Children put everything in perspective.

My latest 280 (#6) weighs 346 g and is 6 pts HL with the Head Synth 16 ga string that came in it when it was originally sold. I figure that will drop a couple grams with 17g and nudge toward 7 pts HL. It is almost pristine and couldn't have more than 4 hours play on it. The stencil is still clean! Immaculate paint.

It has cosmetics different from any of my others -- the writing and format for string tension are the same as the Austrian model. It has a different "Designed in Austria" on the outside of the throat compared to my other one that says that on the throat. Most of mine say "designed in austria" inside the throat. Even the "Pro Tour 280" on the other side of the throat is different. Of course, this is totally irrelevant to anything but dating production. It has a butt cap with a silver label on it used to have a head logo the which wore off (just like the Austrian ones). I figure this last one is among the first produced in China.

The 280 is a classic and when #7 arrives (plastic still on the handle), I am finished collecting. That should keep me until I am too old and have to learn to play golf.

tandayu
05-19-2005, 07:33 PM
Kinsella,

Your #6 PT 280: The "Pro Tour 280" label is different in a way that the red dot inside the letters are all the way to the botom of the letter, while the usual chinese version has red dot only on top part of the letters?

Chaho,

New home, new dog,....how about new rackets? PT280 OS for you????

beanieweenie
07-12-2005, 06:19 PM
any followup experiences with grommet replacement for the pt280?

is the lm radical the best alternative? because i believe the lm radical itself is 1mm thicker than the pt 280? will this fit without any protrusion?

is there a difference between the i.radical vs. lm radical grommet? do the ridges for the lm radical grommet cause it to weight less/more/same than the i.radical?

thanks

Richie Rich
09-04-2005, 11:21 AM
i.rad grommets are not as deep as lm rad grommets. strings at 10/2 o'clock on i.rad sit above the bumper so when you dig out low balls and scrape the racquet you end up scraping the strings. haven't had any strings snap on me yet but it could happen.

i would go with the lm rad grommets. don't worry about the 1mm diff - you won't even notice when you out it on.

djones
09-04-2005, 01:03 PM
tandayu:

It's my understanding that the PT 630 frame itself is lighter than PT 280 frame because the PT 630 is combined with the heavy CAP grommet. So if you put a CAP grommet on a 280 you will get a very heavy racket.

So what exactly makes the 280 heavier, if both weighted without any grommets?

tandayu
09-04-2005, 01:07 PM
So what exactly makes the 280 heavier, if both weighted without any grommets?

Several of my PT 280 at 350 gram strung is heavier than others including the PT630 with cap. They varies in weight by 10 gram range.

djones
09-04-2005, 01:13 PM
Several of my PT 280 at 350 gram strung is heavier than others including the PT630 with cap. They varies in weight by 10 gram range.

But how is the extra weight added on the 280?
And are there more differences besides weight between the 280 and 630?