PDA

View Full Version : Follow up to 'What Tennis Camp to attend?'

twocents
05-13-2005, 09:09 AM
Here is my review of Wintergeen Tennis Resort in Virginia that 6 of us went to from Cleveland for 3 days. Both Pros were very knowledgeable about everything they talked about. Our camp was geared more towards doubles.
We decided on Wintergreen since it was 7 hours closer than S.Carolina and was indoors so weather wan't a factor. We had a 3 to1 ratio for three days for 15 hours. Two hours in the morning and 3 hours in the afternoon.
The first day they video taped us and compared us side by side to a pro and showed us proper techniques. I never knew my left arm wasn't clearing properly on my forehand.
They stressed the 4 stages (R's)between points is very important since more time is spent between points than hitting the ball. 1) Release emotions form the last shot. 2)Rewind ask yourself how you won or last thepont.3)RE-Stragize- Plan what you will do on your next shot 4) Go through a set ritual for both Serves and Return of serves.
We hit plenty of balls. By noon we would hit the hot tub, eat, and look forward to returning in the afternoon for 3 more hours !!! We did this for 3 days. We were sore but it wasn't run like a bootcamp. All six of us had fun and the return back to Cleveland was only 7 hours.
They taught us what to do if we were caught in a one front/one back situation, how to protect our goal, switch and ditch,when to change the direction of the ball,how to isolate one persaon,when to bounce and pounce,and a lot of other good stuff. They even brought a speed gun and had a contest to see who had the fastest serve.
We stayed in a huge 6 bedroom house about 1/4 mile from the camp that had a huge hottub. As you can probably tell we were all geeked up afterwards and ready to sign up for next year.
The phone number is: 1-800-266-2444 and website:tennis@wintergreen.com.
Other reviews of Wintergeen can be found at Tennisresorts.com

Geezer Guy
05-13-2005, 09:47 AM
Thanks for posting the follow-up.

Were you guys the only ones there?
Did you tell them ahead of time you wanted to work on Doubles stuff, or is that their normal routine?

Glad you had a good time.

twocents
05-13-2005, 10:02 AM
We were on two of the 3 indoor courts.
They also had Hard True Courts outside.
Once in a while someone not in our group would use the ball machine on the 3rd court.
According to the write up they specialize in doubles. They are very knowledgeable about singles as well but we were more into doubles getting ready for USTA. A couple of our guys were more into singles and played singles as well.
I had gone to Bolleterri about 10 years ago for three days. This was a lot more fun and worth the time and money.

Val
02-02-2006, 12:53 PM
Still a great camp, great instructors. I'm a tennis newby, but a long-time teacher and coach, and it took me only about 15 minutes to realize these guys were better than most.

They're still focusing on doubles, I guess since most games at most clubs are doubles. I didn't get the video portion of the camp, but I really needed more time hitting and the feedback for the strokes. They really helped me with my serve grip and overall court presence. I'm going back in three weeks...

devilish_duke
02-03-2006, 07:23 AM
Are they limited to 3 day stays? I'm interested in staying at least 5, and getting all vid reviews and such. Hopefully both are available.

Val
02-03-2006, 11:19 AM
Are they limited to 3 day stays? I'm interested in staying at least 5, and getting all vid reviews and such. Hopefully both are available.
Yes they do have longer stays for the summer, just give them a call. As for the video, it was advertised for the 3 days programs, but I didn't get any, and in retrospect it wasn't needed for me as much, because I'm still trying to learn my stroke. Ask them about it.