PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Ultra 95

A_Instead
05-13-2005, 09:23 AM
Does anyone have the specs on this golden classic?

rooski
05-13-2005, 09:56 AM
Hmmm....I thought it had a black paintjob.

A_Instead
05-13-2005, 01:14 PM
no its blue, with a taper beam green and reddish paint splats on it.

Richard Pur
05-16-2005, 03:57 AM
I still play with the Ultra FPK 95, if that's the one you're talking about (the blue one with a taper beam). I've been looking on and off for the past year for a replacement and it's very difficult (haven't pulled the trigger on anything else yet). The reason being the thick mid-section makes it stiff for power, but the thinner cross section at the head give it a little flex and great touch.

The original Wilson stiffness index was 5.0 (at the mid-section where the racquet is thicker). I use a Prince duratac replacement grip and I measured the weight at 12.3 oz, with it being about 8 points headlight. Great Stick!

I still have a new one in the closet. The ones I'm using right now are older and beaten up, so I figure they play a lot more flexible than the new one and it would be an adjustment to hit with the new one, so I might as well switch to a newer tech. racquet. The new FPK would be worth more to me selling it. Interested?

Rich

prostaff_6.1_classsic
05-16-2005, 05:13 AM
have you got any pictures? i think its one that i have been after for a while.

Richard Pur
05-16-2005, 08:30 AM
Unfortunately, I'm probably one of the few people out there that doesn't have a digital camera (technologically challenged), so that's not an option for me. If someone else who has an Ultra FPK posted a picture, I could verify it for you. I believe I also have a bumper guard also.

Anyone out there with a picture of an Ultra FPK.

By the way, my FPK is the 95 sq. in. version.

Rich

Richard Pur
06-19-2007, 09:05 AM
By 4.5, do you mean the Swing Index? In that case no it isn't, it's a 5.0. Until I find my ultimate replacement, I won't sell the new one I have.

A great racquet I've tried recently (it was only one night - the honeymoon) was the Yonex RDS 002 Tour. Excellent all around. Probably my best demo ever so far. The Slaz pro X1 is also pretty good, but a little more demanding.

A_Instead
06-19-2007, 01:05 PM
Richard, So are you saying is the RDS002 plays similar to the FPK95. If so, I will order one today.

Richard Pur
06-20-2007, 04:06 AM
The swingweight is very different, with the RDS feeling less mobile (definitely by the third set), but for my game, it was one of the few racquets I had to make little adjustment for. At 45, I play mostly doubles, and get to net as soon as I can. My returns, I typically try to block/chip and charge. I don't spend a lot of time with groundstrokes these days, but I don't think that was a strong point of the FPK either. I would give the RDS the edge on groundstrokes though. The serving for me maybe gave the edge on first serves to the FPK and second (because of spin) to the RDS. I think the FPK gives you a little more feedback, but the sweetspot on the RDS 002 Tour seemed huge to me. It was strung with Yonex ATS 850 (?) and seemed to be loosely strung (a demo). It would have felt more crisp strung a little tighter.

Keep in mind, I only played with the RDS once, so I was on my honeymoon with it. I'd hate for you to go out and buy one because I was on cloud 9 for a couple of sets, thinking I had found my holy grail. Anyway, I would definitely demo it if I were you.

The other racquet I recently demoed that is very interesting is the Gamma G325. Awesome specs with no gimmicks. I put lead at 9 and 3 to get the swingweight up from the 307 (I think my ideal swingweight is around 315-320). If you have good groundstokes and a solid game, this is a great racquet. A little more flexible than the FPK, but some of the same feel (especially for volleying). For me, I needed a little more power from it, but the feel is incredible. I may try the G310 for a little more power and lead it up.

One of my favorite shots is the underspin backhand, and I was able to hit a good driving backhand with both of these racquets.