PDA

View Full Version : University Tennis in Canada

CptnRiceKrispy
05-15-2010, 04:47 PM
Hey Everyone,

Ok, I'm 14 years old and I've enjoyed playing tennis for the past couple of years. Lately I've been improving my game and I'm playing some pretty good tennis. I play on my highschool team and my captain (who is about to graduate) told me he is going to take a year off and then try and get a tennis scholarship to the US. He competes in Men's 4.5 and 5.0 tournaments and he beats 6-3,6-2 on a normal day. :)

But I'm a little different then most people I know. I would like to stay in Canada for university and I was wondering what tennis opportunities are available. I would appreciate any information or personal experience. I'm just wondering about my future as university isnt to far ahead. :?

andfor
05-15-2010, 06:08 PM
You should check with Tennis Canada. They have an entire section and director dedicated to helping Canadian junior tennis play college tennis.

http://www.tenniscanada.ca/tennis_canada/Pub/DisplayPage.aspx?enc=WqmHTIXb3hZBDLgekBXg/kLqvDIvJO6xF5SMQLwzNvmKx30c1OVy4f+JMx3Tw9UEeY7vcIo YddUW/b+26H13FA==

CptnRiceKrispy
05-16-2010, 08:42 PM
You should check with Tennis Canada. They have an entire section and director dedicated to helping Canadian junior tennis play college tennis.

http://www.tenniscanada.ca/tennis_canada/Pub/DisplayPage.aspx?enc=WqmHTIXb3hZBDLgekBXg/kLqvDIvJO6xF5SMQLwzNvmKx30c1OVy4f+JMx3Tw9UEeY7vcIo YddUW/b+26H13FA==

Thanks, but most of the information I found was about Canadian players wanting to go play in the States. I'm mostly wondering about University tennis within Canada

andfor
05-17-2010, 07:24 AM
Thanks, but most of the information I found was about Canadian players wanting to go play in the States. I'm mostly wondering about University tennis within Canada

I believe there may be a Canadian college or two that play U.S. NAIA or NCAA sports but I don't know what the college names are or sports they participate in. Ask Tennis Canada's college division and let us know. That's what I'd do if I was interested as you are.

Good luck

andfor
05-17-2010, 07:57 AM
http://www.bears.ualberta.ca/Tennis/index.cfm

Looks like U of Alberta plays NAIA tennis.

CptnRiceKrispy
05-20-2010, 08:52 PM
Thanks Man

Puredrivetennis
05-21-2010, 12:47 AM
Tennis canada wont have too much. But there is competition between major schools in the OUA (York, UofT, McMaster, Montreal, Waterloo, Western) with a high level of competition.. I have two friends who play for UofT and York , respectively.. Both would play in a d1 lineup, and compete as well in Canada. Any questions, let me know-- ill see if i can help!

CptnRiceKrispy
10-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Tennis canada wont have too much. But there is competition between major schools in the OUA (York, UofT, McMaster, Montreal, Waterloo, Western) with a high level of competition.. I have two friends who play for UofT and York , respectively.. Both would play in a d1 lineup, and compete as well in Canada. Any questions, let me know-- ill see if i can help!

Hey, I'm going to try and be realistic but I was wondering if you could answer some of my questions?

prime_time_jr21
11-03-2010, 11:53 AM
University Tennis in Canada is not as big as in the US. Most school should have tennis clubs that you can join where u play for fun. Some schools also have Tennis teams where there not in an actual league but will play other schools tennis teams. They will also travel to the US to play in some tournaments against other schools. The thing about University tennis in Canada is that they offer no scholarships. Instead you will often have to pay for traveling and even practice time to rent the courts. Tennis teams in Canada are more for fun while in the US it requires you to dedicate a lot more of your time.

prime_time_jr21
11-03-2010, 12:01 PM
University Tennis in Canada is not as big as in the US. Most school should have tennis clubs that you can join where u play for fun. Some schools also have Tennis teams where there not in an actual league but will play other schools tennis teams. They will also travel to the US to play in some tournaments against other schools. The thing about University tennis in Canada is that they offer no scholarships. Instead you will often have to pay for traveling and even practice time to rent the courts. Tennis teams in Canada are more for fun while in the US it requires you to dedicate a lot more of your time.

Actually I take that back. At some schools practice time is free