PDA

View Full Version : Nadal Physically Stronger than Fed?

user92626
05-16-2010, 08:25 PM
..and of course this being a contest of athleticism Fed is likely gonna always lose to Nadal.

I observed a lot of points between them. Absolutely nothing is easy for either one of them. Every point won is hard earned. Nadal works as hard or even harder than Fed -- being Fed has a better touch, ie drop shot, way more aces -- but It seems like the only thing Nadal has that is way better than Fed is that Nadal can hit on the run much HARDER and more consistently than Fed!!!! Nadal can run like a bull and fire a great bh shot back..and you know how awkward and difficult it is to run with 2hbh.

If Fed has to run and hit at the same time -- even on his FH -- he will likely screw up and it seems like it's due to weakness.

Agree?

dmt
05-16-2010, 08:29 PM
I have seen Federer hit some really good running forehands over the years. But alot of the times he just puts the ball back in play.

I still can't understand how Nadal can hit the two handed backhand on the run, it isnt an easy shot to execute.

Lynx41
05-16-2010, 08:38 PM
i think maybe it's because he's naturally right handed, so it's just like hitting a righty 2hfh. still, the angles he generates are insane

lidoazndiabloboi
05-16-2010, 09:50 PM
I completely agree that Nadal is physically stronger. Just look at his upper body compared to Federer's. Both players have great balance, so when it comes to having to hit running shots, both get to the ball relatively well and are able to produce good shots back. But here is where the advantage of a stronger upper body comes in. On many outwide shots, if you slide into them, your feet are planted on the floor, resulting in most of the power having to come from the upper body. That's advantage to Nadal. If Federer is able to setup a shot and use his legs to power himself into the shot, it compensates for having less muscle in his arms.

Both are very physically strong, but Nadal just had more brute strength than Federer.
What do you guys think?

fgzhu88
05-16-2010, 09:56 PM
is this really even a topic for debate? One look at each of them and you can easily tell who's stronger.

Halba
05-16-2010, 10:03 PM
is this really even a topic for debate? One look at each of them and you can easily tell who's stronger.

nadal 2hbh is an awesome weapon against federer. he can pull it CC for winners, or defend down the line backhands. nadal is now 14/21 victories v fed, thats 67% success rate

orangettecoleman
05-16-2010, 11:15 PM
It doesn't take THAT much strength to hit a tennis ball hard. Rafa has beefier arms than Fed, that's for sure. I know guys who look relatively scrawny and are stronger than guys who look like bodybuilders, though, so that doesn't mean a lot. Rafa doesn't beat fed because he's stronger, he's just a better clay court player and is a bad matchup for Fed, it's not really all that complicated to explain.

Speranza
05-17-2010, 12:24 AM

Holmes: Never judge a book by the cover.

It is Nadal's speed and leg strength that is, in my opinion, the core of what he is able to do. The larger he is on top, the more he has to carry around.

He IS able to carry it around, because of his lower body strength, fast twitch muscles....

(And being right handed naturally, he has the advantage of extra strength for that 2HBH, but also it adds to the precision he can achieve along with his now natural left arm).

That said:

Rafa doesn't beat fed because he's stronger, he's just a better clay court player and is a bad matchup for Fed...

jwbarrientos
05-17-2010, 05:22 AM
easy answer .... YES.

BullDogTennis
05-17-2010, 05:25 AM
I have seen Federer hit some really good running forehands over the years. But alot of the times he just puts the ball back in play.

I still can't understand how Nadal can hit the two handed backhand on the run, it isnt an easy shot to execute.

i have too. i think feds getting older, and its harder to put as much energy into chasing balls down as he used to, so he doesn't get there with as much time.

Hitman
05-17-2010, 05:33 AM
Yes, he is.

LameTennisPlayer
05-17-2010, 05:46 AM
whats up with all the obvious posts??? have u guys just started watching tennis lol

coloskier
05-17-2010, 06:41 AM
Obviously Nadal is physically stronger, but he has to use up his body so much that he is so much more prone to injuries. I would compare Nadal and Fed to the hare and the tortoise. Nadal is the speedy guy who has fairly long flashes of brilliance but tends to get hurt a lot, to Fed who rarely gets hurt and stays on the court through more tournaments.

CMM
05-17-2010, 06:50 AM
He only does this kind of stuff during the Grand Slams http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re3ihZ9GKjc

bolo
05-17-2010, 06:51 AM
..and of course this being a contest of athleticism Fed is likely gonna always lose to Nadal.

I observed a lot of points between them. Absolutely nothing is easy for either one of them. Every point won is hard earned. Nadal works as hard or even harder than Fed -- being Fed has a better touch, ie drop shot, way more aces -- but It seems like the only thing Nadal has that is way better than Fed is that Nadal can hit on the run much HARDER and more consistently than Fed!!!! Nadal can run like a bull and fire a great bh shot back..and you know how awkward and difficult it is to run with 2hbh.

If Fed has to run and hit at the same time -- even on his FH -- he will likely screw up and it seems like it's due to weakness.

Agree?

Yeah they both play a considerable number "nothing is easy for either one of them" points on clay. What I notice with nadal off his running two handed backhand, which I haven't really seen from any other player, is how he kind of throws himself into the shot right at the end. He doesn't always do it, sometimes he's pretty smooth and slides into some huge 2 handers. But other times, usually when he has a bit more time IIRC, he kind of looks like he is falling over right at the end and manages to generate a ton of pace with it. Looks a little bit awkward but can't argue with the results, a ton of pace and still pretty good location.

rocket
05-17-2010, 06:54 AM
Nadal's real strength is what's between his ears.

kishnabe
05-17-2010, 07:17 AM
Roger is stronger in the upper body and abs more than Nadal. Nadal however isn't that far away in that compartment and has a better lower body that Federer except for the calves.

Federer calves are amazing....really defined and all! Nadal is amazing...not his phsyical strength but his mental strength even though I think people exagerate it a bit....it a mental test for him to be strong in that compartment!

yellowoctopus
05-17-2010, 07:47 AM
Nadal's real strength is what's between his ears.

I think it's his heart that most people admire.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qHBPo8kY5VM/SYX8PmozBfI/AAAAAAAAAeo/RCgu_OKD3yg/s320/aus+open+rafa+nadal-azzurri_nr1.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/28/97710765_0d8ae61134.jpg

jackson vile
05-17-2010, 08:33 AM
Mentally stronger then Roger.

user92626
05-17-2010, 09:02 AM
IMO, this topic is very debate-able and could touch many nerves and controversies. It's not obvious at all if you allow yourself come considerations. Hear me out.

Fed is the bigger guy, has a bigger build clearly which you can see when they stand next to each other. Both of them hit considerably strong shot, but Nadal clearly out-matches Fed when they get into a rally in term of pace and consistent. Evidently Fed was always trailing behind Nadal the whole time.

Considering that it doesn't take much to hit the ball hard, but we saw that Nadal mainly won by outhitting Fed, pace and consistent, so is it conclusively all about techniques (if not about strength)? Fed can crank some amazing FH shots as well but that's when he's not running much. So, Nadal has better technique now?

In review, Nadal is smaller than Fed (but don't think Fed is hindrancely bulkier cuz I'm sure Fed trains to be perfectly fit for his sport), yet Nadal has noticeably stronger hitting strength? And/or is it just that Nadal has better technique which seems absurd cuz we all know how elegant and textbook Fed's is and how much Fed is praised for his movement.

bolo
05-17-2010, 09:05 AM
Yeah they both play a considerable number "nothing is easy for either one of them" points on clay. What I notice with nadal off his running two handed backhand, which I haven't really seen from any other player, is how he kind of throws himself into the shot right at the end. He doesn't always do it, sometimes he's pretty smooth and slides into some huge 2 handers. But other times, usually when he has a bit more time IIRC, he kind of looks like he is falling over right at the end and manages to generate a ton of pace with it. Looks a little bit awkward but can't argue with the results, a ton of pace and still pretty good location.

The bh I was talking about is at 1:47, 2:49 and again at 2:52. It looks like he is falling over but basically it's a leaping 2 hander.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9LT0N9Fonc

President of Serve/Volley
05-17-2010, 09:06 AM
If Federer had Bjorn Borg's mental strength, he would simply be unstoppable....

user92626
05-17-2010, 09:14 AM
If Federer had Bjorn Borg's mental strength, he would simply be unstoppable....

How can you not have a great mental strength & experience after that many GS and even been to more finals, semifinals (great stages) than anyone else? Boggle the mind.

user92626
05-17-2010, 09:26 AM
Now that I think about it...although it looks like to us mortals that they both tried hard, it was probably relatively easy for Nadal (in his mind) to beat Fed. Really. Nadal didn't have weapons like aces or dropshots nor be concerned with them coming into the match (if I could see that so would Nadal's camp). Nadal used one single strategy to beat Fed which was to out-hit him. That really made Nadal's work alot simpler. The score looks close but you could see Nadal dominating Fed the whole time. Fed trailed the whole match. It never felt as if Fed could turn the tide anytime.

yellowoctopus
05-17-2010, 09:28 AM

I think it would be more competitive than you think. Both are powerful athletes, each has a body that has been developed to suit they respective playing style. One relies more on precision and efficient strokes while the other utilizes mechanics that maximizes the margin of error. They both move very well on the court, regardless of surface material.

http://imstars.aufeminin.com/stars/fan/roger-federer/roger-federer-20061123-181785.jpg
http://www.rafa-nadal.com/Images/Fotos/1/3/Rafa-Nadal---Puro-musculo-930.jpg

I sense that there is an underlying statement that you are trying to make or perhaps a secondary question that you are not articulating. Perhaps you are simply trying to provoke reactions from people.

http://sportsscoop.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/francisco-carbajal.jpg
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/06/22/sports/22nadal.1.600.jpg

Cassius Clay
05-17-2010, 09:53 AM
Roger is stronger in the upper body and abs more than Nadal. Nadal however isn't that far away in that compartment and has a better lower body that Federer except for the calves.

Federer calves are amazing....really defined and all! Nadal is amazing...not his phsyical strength but his mental strength even though I think people exagerate it a bit....it a mental test for him to be strong in that compartment!

And Federer 's forearm is bigger than Popeye's.

user92626
05-17-2010, 10:00 AM
I sense that there is an underlying statement that you are trying to make or perhaps a secondary question that you are not articulating. Perhaps you are simply trying to provoke reactions from people.

Sure, I'm trying to make sense why this is the case. That is how to beat Fed handily. If you were Hewitt, Roddick or Solderling, wouldn't you be extremely frustrated by this "phenomenon"? Believe me I'm a big fan of Fed, and that's why it kinda irritates me to see this inevitability.

I think it would be more competitive than you think.

Do you know the Almagro vs Nadal feel or Roddick vs Fed feel? That's the kind of feel I have watching Fed vs Nadal!!!! Sorry.

rocket
05-17-2010, 02:18 PM
Nadal used one single strategy to beat Fed which was to out-hit him.

it's Nadal's speed, spin & shot-placement that killed Fed. Nadal can hit with accuracy in almost any position on clay, even on a dead-run.

Fed is usually extremely good at reading where the ball is going, before it even leaves his opponent's racquet. not so vs Nadal.

decades
05-17-2010, 02:49 PM
Nadal has more muscles. Federer has more slams.

Cyan
05-17-2010, 02:51 PM
Just compare the biceps. pfft.

I think it's his heart that most people admire.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qHBPo8kY5VM/SYX8PmozBfI/AAAAAAAAAeo/RCgu_OKD3yg/s320/aus+open+rafa+nadal-azzurri_nr1.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/28/97710765_0d8ae61134.jpg

Indeed8)8)

forthegame
05-17-2010, 02:52 PM
Yes.

10xters.

Buckethead
05-17-2010, 03:57 PM
Physically Nadal looks stronger,but Roger plays with a heavier racket and hits the ball harder,so playing tennis Fed is stronger.

OTMPut
05-17-2010, 09:43 PM
Fed is much stronger on the tennis court. He is yet to skip a grandslam or withdraw from a match because physical issues.

namelessone
05-17-2010, 09:55 PM

Agree?

Nope,I don't agree. This is tennis,not athleticism,Nadal has underrated skills,even though on the surface he is all brute force and running. Did you see that semi no-look volley to make it 5-5 in the second? That was a shot that surprised even Fed.Or how Nadal won his first set,when Fed did a bit of shoulder fake to say that he wanted to go crosscourt but actually went down the line and Nadal caught on to that and passed him. With any other player Fed would have crushed that ball and never thought twice.

The only thing you have right is that Nadal works harder for points then Fed when on court. Fed has underrated on the run shots but what many miss here is that Nadal is the best passer in the game and probably has the best running BH on tour,since it is like his other,more awkward,forehand.

The only thing Nadal has stronger than Fed are his wrists and left bicep.

big bang
05-17-2010, 10:15 PM
It doesn't take THAT much strength to hit a tennis ball hard. Rafa has beefier arms than Fed, that's for sure. I know guys who look relatively scrawny and are stronger than guys who look like bodybuilders, though, so that doesn't mean a lot. Rafa doesn't beat fed because he's stronger, he's just a better clay court player and is a bad matchup for Fed, it's not really all that complicated to explain.
LOL at this, why do you think ppl go to the gym then? if you try to tell us scrawny guys are stronger:rolleyes: Im a personal trainer and work with a lot of athletes and face it ppl who work out on a daily basis and build muscles are stronger than thin/slim/scrawny guys although some can be stronger than you might think from first impression..

So now Feds got a stronger upper body too??? not even close..
that said I do agree that Nadals mental strenght is what makes him so good!

Jay_The_Nomad
05-17-2010, 11:20 PM
Nadal:

Better stamina

Better speed

And as an aside, I'm pretty darn sure Nadal would win Federer in an arm wrestling match. Fortunately or unfortunately (depending on who you support), raw strength only accounts for 15-20% of the power in any shot. The rest of it comes from the strings, racquet weight, technique & pace of the incoming ball.

Halba
05-18-2010, 12:33 AM
d probably has the best running BH on tour,since it is like his other,more awkward,forehand.

The only thing Nadal has stronger than Fed are his wrists and left bicep.

the jumping running backhand is a beaut. its a tailor made shot now.

zak425
05-18-2010, 09:50 AM
Sadly strength does not equal success in tennis. They're both great due to the precision and speed they can hit the ball with. Hiting a tennis ball hard has nothing to do with muscles.