PDA

View Full Version : Myst games for PC

chrisab508
04-15-2004, 04:04 PM
Well, I got the first myst game a long time ago and i never beat it. I came back to it about a year ago, and beat it. Then i borrowed Riven from a friend (because my copy got thrown out a while ago, dno how) and beat that (it was a lot harder that Myst). I just bought Myst III Exile last week. I just beat it about an hour ago, SO MUCH HARDER THAN MYST!! Myst was actually really easy. Anyways, I was wondering if any of you guys had played or bought URU ages beyond Myst? I know that its another "Myst" type game, and was wondering what you guys though before i bought it. It is fairly new and still pretty expensive.

Thanks.

AAAA
04-16-2004, 04:02 AM
Chris, Have you tried the URU demo? It's installed on my PC and my initial impression was one of disappointment.

What made Myst, Riven and Exile great to me were the graphics and sound. The pre-rendered 3D graphics in Riven and Exile have an appeal very different and unmatched by the real 3D games we see today. The pre-rendered stuff looks surreal.

URU? It's now real 3D so IMHO has lost much of the visual appeal and uniqueness of Riven and Exile. It does look good but it's just not the same anymore that's why I didn't play the demo.

Also there are now NPCs to interact with and you can see your character. Another concession to the mainstream. Annoyingly the screen bobs about when you switch to a first-person perspective view. The full retail version may let you switch this off.

Graphically it doesn't have the 'magic' of Riven or Exile.

I'll play the demo properly this weekend and tell you if I find the puzzles in the demo as difficult as in Riven and Exile.

chrisab508
04-16-2004, 05:15 AM
yah, just after I posted that i found out there was a demo, and got it and played it. I agree 100% with you, i like the old games better, those graphics were awesome and it was easier to play. I found it very hard to play (URU) maybe thats cause im so used to playing the other myst games. Well, im still not sure whether or not ill buy it

Thanks though

Chris.

AAAA
04-16-2004, 06:00 AM
yup, Riven and Exile were different which is why I liked them. Now you have the demo I won't bother playing it. It's a real disappointment, with the huge hard disks, powerful CPUs and graphics cards of today I was expecting URU to be like Riven and Exile but with (near)photo-realistic graphics. Sadly it looks ordinary.