PDA

View Full Version : question about putting weight in handle.

nViATi
05-13-2005, 05:45 PM
if the handle is hollow and has nothing blocking the weight from going into the head of the racquet do i just stuff a lot of cotton? won't it eventually get lose and slide down?

federer_nadal
05-13-2005, 05:50 PM
normaly the staples stop it from fallin into the head

Marius_Hancu
05-13-2005, 05:57 PM
check, if you haven't done so:

Customizing Racquet Weight & Balance
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Features/Customizing/customize.html

Your concern is a valid one.

I had a racket which was leaving my hand on serve because of moving lead weight in the butt cap (I had about 20g though).

nViATi
05-13-2005, 06:23 PM
ok i have a slightly head light Head i.S12 now... can't wait to test it just for fun hahahaha

mark rodgers
05-13-2005, 06:27 PM
First, I'd suggest you have a digital scale (5 lbs capacity) that has display grams and ounces. I bought mine at an office supply store for $25. As for the weight I use nails and use old overgrip and wrap it around the nail. I use enough overgrip until it fits snug inside the handle. Check the total weight using the scale adjust as needed. Make sure you put the butt cap back on security. If you don't the racket will vibrate more.

Xevoius
05-13-2005, 08:51 PM
Put lead tape on the handle under your grip or you it will eventually come loose on the inside of the handle.

nViATi
05-13-2005, 08:55 PM
ok i got it working. lots of cotton does make it stay still! weighted the handle with 2 AA batteries and 2 quarters. it's a slightly head light head i.s12. can't wait to try it out. haha it's like a cheap babolat.. except even more spin cuz of 115 sq inch headsize, ~300 swingweight, and 14x17 stringing pattern :shock:

pchoi04
05-13-2005, 10:55 PM
i just put lead tape inside the handle, like stick it inside the wall. And then ill maybe take a peice of tape and tape over it make sure it doesnt fall off.

erik-the-red
05-14-2005, 09:25 AM
You used batteries to tailweight? Interesting.

I used fishing sinker weights. They do the trick quite nicely.

nViATi
05-14-2005, 09:46 AM
You used batteries to tailweight? Interesting.

I used fishing sinker weights. They do the trick quite nicely.
yeah.. i was bored and had nothing better to do so i just did it for fun.

Rackethead
05-14-2005, 12:11 PM
The best stuff for weighting a handle is silicon sealant ($5 from home depot). It absorbs shock, and will not move.

You have to be careful adding it, because you won't be able to change it later (well you can with a screwdriver and a lot of work ..but better to get it right the first time).

Xevoius
05-15-2005, 07:25 AM
Sounds like battery acid might become a problem...

donnyz89
05-15-2005, 09:10 AM
lol... batteries prolly are not a good idea. they weight A LOT too like 3-4 ounces dont they?

tedmeister
05-15-2005, 10:55 AM
lol... batteries prolly are not a good idea. they weight A LOT too like 3-4 ounces dont they?
A battery that affects the playing characteristics? Definitely illegal. Of course, the old ruling is about the battery being a power source. If one goes on a winning streak with the i S12 and guys start protesting, critics would have to prove that the battery is giving out juice to the piezoelectric fibers. Watch out for nViati dominating the local courts for some time. That is, until the acid runoff gets him. :mrgreen:

friedalo1
05-15-2005, 01:43 PM
Use something solid, that dosnt move like a cork, than lead tape, stuff with electrical tape, no silicone or glue, the heat will melt the glue, the glue go the head of the racquet, close the but with a staple gun.

nViATi
05-15-2005, 03:33 PM
A battery that affects the playing characteristics? Definitely illegal. Of course, the old ruling is about the battery being a power source. If one goes on a winning streak with the i S12 and guys start protesting, critics would have to prove that the battery is giving out juice to the piezoelectric fibers. Watch out for nViati dominating the local courts for some time. That is, until the acid runoff gets him. :mrgreen:
yeah.. hehehe... piezoelectric deactivated to make racquet 50flex then it powers up after it makes contact with ball to 70 flex for maximum power!