PDA

View Full Version : Prince deserves a pat on the back

netman
05-13-2005, 06:56 PM
Over the years reading the posts on this forum, I've lost count of the number or folks crucifying Prince for their efforts to push the envelope on racquet techonology. We all know the MORE technology didn't meet expectations. Isn't it funny that the new O3 racquets, which are the next generation of the MORE tech, are being praised by many, even some who slammed Prince during the Generation 1 (MORE) phase. Looks like the O3 tech could be a real winner.

How about that? A company that is willing to put new tech out in the market, collect user feedback, and design an improved product that addresses the previous generation's shortcomings. The O3 racquets contain the best of many years of Prince work: From the MORE frames - fused sections, grommetless holes. From the Triple Threat frames - TT weighting, tapered frames, lighter the weight, the stiffer the frame. From the Thunder/Equipe years: the Sweetspot Suspension (i.e. larger holes equal bigger sweetspot). From the the CTS frames - Tapered frames allow fine tuning of flex characteristics.

The ultra competitive nature of the tennis racquet business means manfacturers are constantly "borrowing" other manufacturers ideas and improving them. I think Prince deserves some credit for really pushing the tech envelope and showing the flexibility to change and enhance their designs when they don't meet user expectations. To quote Teddy Rooseveldt, "It behooves every man to remember that the work of the critic is of altogether secondary importance, and that, in the end, progress is accomplished by the man who does things. "

Fuzzless
05-13-2005, 08:21 PM
i would probably try an 03 if i was looking for a new racquet. if only prince would make a midsized one.

and no, that is NOT a cue to start arguing about head size.

AndrewD
05-13-2005, 08:31 PM
netman,

I think a lot of displeasure directed towards Prince is due to the quality of their past efforts. Im sure quite a number of people on this board remember the halcyon days of the Prince Magnesium Pro, Graphite Pro, Spectrum, CTS Lightning etc, etc. I realise Prince changed hands a few times but the enormous drop-off in quality left them open for deserved ridicule.

While I do think the 03Tour is a fantastic racquet and the best thing Prince have produced since the CTS range (although the Diablo mid deserves a mention, even if it is coming too late for wider success) I still think the criticism is fair.

A better quote would be "the proof of the pudding is in the eating". It makes no difference how much effort has gone into development or how revolutionary the idea. If it doesn't work you dont get points for trying. The Roosevelt quote is ironic because it is only criticism itself.

Still, it will be interesting to see if Prince can put the 03 technology into an affordable racquet.

lacoster
05-13-2005, 11:15 PM
It's just disappointing to see all the MORE racquets in the bargain bin for under 40 bucks at the club when they were priced at over $160+ last year. You lose alot of brand-loyal players to other companies that way.
________
Iolite Vaporizer Review (http://vaporizers.net/iolite-vaporizer)

TennisD
05-14-2005, 02:45 AM
I would only try an 03 if it had a 93 square inch or lower head, and that's final.

AndrewD
05-14-2005, 03:21 AM
TennisD,
you mean to say you wouldn't even have a hit with it because it hasn't got a 93sq head? How else are you able to make an informed comment if you don't try them out? I'd never buy a Weed but Id hit with one just so I knew how they played and I disliked the LM Rad and Bab PD but I hit with them just so I could see what all the fuss was about.

barry
05-14-2005, 03:23 AM
lacoster

Agree. Racket life these days is about 1 year, then the manufacturer discounts them, and sell the new ones at retail.
I think Prince is going to do product consoladation. Wilson went through the same process. I like Prince but use a Wilson Surge (pro Staff), you can buy them for $50.

I tried the new Flexpoint series from Head, and I don't think they will be around long. Not a very good racket.

The Prince O3 is going to be a winner, already seeing a lot of them in use.

Best buys are the older frames, they play better and are a lot cheaper!

Hedges
05-14-2005, 05:30 AM
lacoster

Best buys are the older frames, they play better and are a lot cheaper!

One word: POG

btw, why don't the TW playtesters review the POG OS and mid??

barry
05-14-2005, 05:34 AM
Hedges

Wasn't the O3 suppose to take the place of the POG? The POG has been around a long time and is a proven racket.

Hedges
05-14-2005, 05:49 AM
I have no idea; would love to see a comparison review by the playtesters or some other experts. If it is indeed an "improved POG", then I'm skeptical but interested. Even so, is it twice as good as represented by the price difference? I just picked up a new POGOS for $90. So, you can see why Prince hopes to remarket a "new improved" product in order to adjust the price to today's standards.

bamboo
05-14-2005, 06:02 AM
I have no idea; would love to see a comparison review by the playtesters or some other experts. If it is indeed an "improved POG", then I'm skeptical but interested. Even so, is it twice as good as represented by the price difference?
I'm interested because I'm not willing to do the weight work that would let me continue to play the POG OS for three sets of fast-paced tennis. The POG OS is a sweet racquet that can be played by beginner to pro, unlike say iPrestige, but if 03 is a lot more manouverable while playing similarly, it would be worth twice as much to me

doriancito
05-14-2005, 06:11 AM
well.....let see what i undertand of the o3 tech...... the O3 holes on the frame are to give more string power (like the woofer) and the result is more power! but what about control??

TennisD
05-14-2005, 06:35 AM
TennisD,
you mean to say you wouldn't even have a hit with it because it hasn't got a 93sq head? How else are you able to make an informed comment if you don't try them out? I'd never buy a Weed but Id hit with one just so I knew how they played and I disliked the LM Rad and Bab PD but I hit with them just so I could see what all the fuss was about.
I suppose I used the wrong terminoligy. Yes, I would hit with it, just to see if it is any good, but I don't think I would consider buying a racquet with a head bigger than 600cm2. I've found, that after switching to custom PC600s, I have trouble playin with bigger headed, and lighter racquets. I have no control with them.

larrhall
05-14-2005, 07:40 AM
It's my impression that Prince's 'players' racquets' were for several years mediocre at best. Even more than Wilson, they cycled through new technologies, renditions, models, etc., at an alarming rate. Prince's best contribution to the bad habits of tennis junkies in the past several years has been...shoes. Heavy, industrial, and excellent support for the tendinitis-prone. But I would like to try the 03...but only if it makes me as fast as Coria...

Kirko
05-14-2005, 09:15 AM
glad to see you back Larry !

AndrewD
05-14-2005, 09:46 AM
I suppose I used the wrong terminoligy. Yes, I would hit with it, just to see if it is any good, but I don't think I would consider buying a racquet with a head bigger than 600cm2. I've found, that after switching to custom PC600s, I have trouble playin with bigger headed, and lighter racquets. I have no control with them.

Tennis D, my mistake, no prob. You pretty much echo my sentiments exactly. Since playing with an old Head Prestige Pro ($40 op-shop bargain lol) as much as Ive tried to convince myself that going up in headsize would be good, I just cant find anything that is comparable or -bottom line- that I play as well with. Even low powered, flexy frames still have too little control in comparison to the Prestige.

Now, I just have to find something that will match up to the Prestige Pro. Cant get the PC 600's here but can still find the odd i-Prestige or get the new LM Prestige so guess I'll have to go to them. Otherwise I'll just be trying out all the 93sq frames on the market. Thankfully that wont take long LOL

larrhall
05-14-2005, 11:44 AM
Thanks, Kirko. I always read your posts when I do peruse the Boards. You have a G-Star, correct?

larrhall
05-14-2005, 11:46 AM
Andrew, I bought several Prestige 600s from Australia several years ago...Sydney. Don't know if they're still around, but it's a great shop.

TennisD
05-14-2005, 02:50 PM
Tennis D, my mistake, no prob. You pretty much echo my sentiments exactly. Since playing with an old Head Prestige Pro ($40 op-shop bargain lol) as much as Ive tried to convince myself that going up in headsize would be good, I just cant find anything that is comparable or -bottom line- that I play as well with. Even low powered, flexy frames still have too little control in comparison to the Prestige.

Now, I just have to find something that will match up to the Prestige Pro. Cant get the PC 600's here but can still find the odd i-Prestige or get the new LM Prestige so guess I'll have to go to them. Otherwise I'll just be trying out all the 93sq frames on the market. Thankfully that wont take long LOL
Totally agree! i.Prestiges are the closest racquets to the 600 for me...

Kirko
05-14-2005, 04:39 PM
Larry I'm embarassed to say I've moved on to the POG longbody, but I do remember and want to thak you again for the "real deal" information on the G-Starr you gave me back in Aug. 04. Hopr you hang around for awhile you always had good concise advice on frames and tennis itself.