PDA

View Full Version : Who are the contenders (men) for 2010 ROLAND GARROS?

slicefox
05-17-2010, 09:22 PM
Let's make a list.

Gonzalez? Was good last year, but I haven't seen him much this year. What do you all think of him?

Soderling... I highly doubt.

Delpotro would have been dangerous, but he is out.

Cilic? Is he any good on the dirt?

Verdasco? Always had the game, but will he choke or go deep?

Djokovic? Major threat, but been ill recently.

Murray? Never proven on dirt, and been in bad form recently (mentally).

Ferrer? Proved he's good, but doesn't have many major weapons. A guy to keep an eye on, so what do you think?

Roddick? Was doing well last year, but at this time it seems he's not into it.

Monfils? Came off a break, this guy has the game for clay (lungs and legs), but was the injury break detrimental?

Tsonga? I don't think he's much of a clay courter.

Any other dark horses? Kohlsreiber? Haas?

Sangria
05-17-2010, 10:03 PM
Let's make a list.

Gonzalez? Was good last year, but I haven't seen him much this year. What do you all think of him?

Soderling... I highly doubt.

Delpotro would have been dangerous, but he is out.

Cilic? Is he any good on the dirt?

Verdasco? Always had the game, but will he choke or go deep?

Djokovic? Major threat, but been ill recently.

Murray? Never proven on dirt, and been in bad form recently (mentally).

Ferrer? Proved he's good, but doesn't have many major weapons. A guy to keep an eye on, so what do you think?

Roddick? Was doing well last year, but at this time it seems he's not into it.

Monfils? Came off a break, this guy has the game for clay (lungs and legs), but was the injury break detrimental?

Tsonga? I don't think he's much of a clay courter.

Any other dark horses? Kohlsreiber? Haas?

Cilic is terrible on clay. Monfils was on cloud 9 against Rafa. With all due respect to his return though, good to witness this.

I would probably pick, based on recent form and potential (ex. Rafa & Fed)

Ferrer
Verdasco
Gulbis
Murray
Djokovic
Almagro (dark horse)
Monaco
Lopez

Not sure how deep they would go of course, but I think they should do well nonetheless. Top 3 on my list for sure though, they are playing hot on clay atm.

Telepatic
05-17-2010, 10:04 PM
Nadal

(gap)

Federer

(big gap)

Others..

Dark horse is Gulbis I think.

abraxas21
05-17-2010, 10:56 PM
Nadal

(gap)

Federer

(big gap)

Others..

I don't think there is a big gap between Federer and the other players.

This year he was beaten by Gulbis in Rome and by Monta˝Ús in Estoril. In Madrid he barely defeated Gulbis and Ferrer.

Last year when he won RG he needed 5 sets against Del Potro and Haas, and 4 sets against Acasuso.

Federer is the second best clay courter but to say there is a big gap is an overreaction, imo.

There is a big gap between Nadal and the rest of the field, though.

orangettecoleman
05-17-2010, 11:03 PM
By the same token, Almagro did take a set off of Nadal in Madrid... I would count Ferrer, Almagro, and Verdasco as possibilities depending on if a third party takes Nadal out before the semis. Someone like Kohlschreiber could definitely come out of left field on a hot streak and do some damage. I'd love to see a total dark horse win this year, I'm so tired of the Fedal show. Most of all, I want Soderling to beat Nadal and then make the final, winning with the crowd against him, and then laugh maniacally and give everyone the finger as a chorus of boos descends on him. That would be tops.

Bryan Swartz
05-17-2010, 11:05 PM
There's a difference between guys who should make noise and guys who have a chance to win.

I think there's a legitimate(albeit small) chance for Gonzo, Soderling, Gulbis, Djokovic, and Verdasco. Murray, Ferrer, Almagro, etc. could make noise but it's just a question of when they lose IMO.

I have a hunch(although that's all it is, no real great reason behind it) that this will be the Slam where Federer goes out early(for him). Maybe a reversal of last year. He's certainly capable of winning it again though.

Stefan83
05-17-2010, 11:07 PM
Nadal
Federer / Del Potro / Ferrer / Verdasco

orangettecoleman
05-17-2010, 11:09 PM
I think Nadal's successful clay masters season has amounted to a lot of running for him this year as well, that can't be good on his knees. This may end up being a factor as we head into the second week... imagine if both Nadal and Fed go out early? Complete chaos.

orangettecoleman
05-17-2010, 11:10 PM
Nadal
Federer / Del Potro / Ferrer / Verdasco

Del Potro isn't playing this year, he's rehabbing after his wrist surgery.

akv89
05-17-2010, 11:13 PM
1. Nadal: easy pick
2. Federer: another easy one
3. Ferrer: also a straightforward pick considering his record this summer
4. Djokovic: I might be going against the grain a bit, but he should be well rested and when playing well, he's shown he can be a big threat on clay.
5. Gulbis: Gave Nadal his biggest scare during the clay season and beat Federer. If he can keep his head under control when playing guys he should beat on paper, he can give himself a shot at going after the bigger guys
6. Verdasco: Other than Madrid, he's been very consistent on clay. He'll probably only get as far as the quarters, unless he's in Murray's QF section
7. Ferrero: Should be well rested and I hope he can keep his form from the South American clay swing going
8. Almagro: One of only two guys to take a set off of Nadal on clay this year
9. Soderling
10. Wawrinka

I wasn't sure if Davydenko was playing. Is he scheduled to participate?

orangettecoleman
05-17-2010, 11:13 PM
Ferrer is in tremendous form this season as well. He's been the most consistently good clay courter this year other than Nadal. I'd put him third in line behind those other guys who shall remain nameless.
edit: like that guy said. ^^^ :)

biaggi35
05-18-2010, 02:03 AM
What about Ljubicic? Is he playing? His best Grand Slam results have come at this tournament and he won his first Masters Series title this year, so he'll have some confidence.

Li Ching Yuen
05-18-2010, 02:06 AM
What about Ljubicic? Is he playing? His best Grand Slam results have come at this tournament and he won his first Masters Series title this year, so he'll have some confidence.

He's coming from an injury.

Hitman
05-18-2010, 02:13 AM
Nadal - Outright favorite. Interesting to see how many sets he will lose this year.

Federer - Can claim the title if Rafa falters for whatever reason

At the moment, I can't see anyone else winning. I will have to wait and see what the level of the players is like at the start of RG.

ericsson
05-18-2010, 03:00 AM
1) Nadal: what else is there to say...
2) Federer: Not in great form but showed a high level in Madrid, Federer you ALWAYS have to count in GS's
3) Ferrer: I put Ferrer before Nando, i think he's a little faster on clay
4) Verdasco: showed excellent form and has that big serve when he's on.
5) Almagro: great player and clay courter, has all the shots.
6) Gulbis: maybe it's a long shot but he sure has the game and he already proved it.
7) Montanes: Excellent player on clay, can be dangerous.
8 ) Tsonga: Great athlete and he's French so will be cheered by the public.
9) Monfils: same as above
10) Gonzalez: can be a dangerous outsider although didnt see much of him lately.

Followed by: Monaco, Baghy and Soderling.

cucio
05-18-2010, 02:40 PM
LOL at Tsonga and Cilic. Well, you never know, they are very respectable pros, but to date they have done squat on clay.

And I wouldn't rule out Soderling going deep. In Madrid he met an on fire Almagro that could very well have surprised Rafa is he had better conditioning.

Anyway, if you want absolute outrage, Daniel K÷llerer for the win.

kournacopia
05-18-2010, 02:46 PM
I realize clay is a pusher's surface, but I think Delpo could power even Nadal off of clay, given his recent wins over Rafa. Too bad he's out. Lucky for Nadal.

hoosierbr
05-18-2010, 02:50 PM
Can't see anyone beating Nadal. This could be the first Slam in a while that Fed doesn't make the SF given his recent form but then again he always turns it on when it counts.

The only outsider I see with a legitimate shot is Ferrer. Possibly JC Ferrero if he's healthy enough.

djokovicgonzalez2010
05-18-2010, 03:06 PM
Watch Montanes. He either goes out 1r or gets very dangerous...

slicefox
05-18-2010, 03:48 PM
I realize clay is a pusher's surface, but I think Delpo could power even Nadal off of clay, given his recent wins over Rafa. Too bad he's out. Lucky for Nadal.

qft

last august i picked delpo to win RG and i was bummed out when i saw he was injured this year

RyanRF
05-18-2010, 04:34 PM
Nadal

(gap)

Federer

(big gap)

Others..

Yea, I think I could agree with this. The only way someone could challenge Nadal or Fed is if the guy goes for broke and gets lucky, i.e. Soderling last year and perhaps Gulbis this year.