PDA

View Full Version : Who is best of rest of this generation after Serena on hard courts?

davey25
05-18-2010, 10:19 AM
While Serena has been hands down the best hard court player of this generation of women with a remarkable 8 hard court slams, there are a number of women who could be argued that a number of women are the 2nd best of this most recent generation of players on this surface. Those would be:

Justine Henin- 2 U.S Open titles. 1 Australian Open title. Another runner up at both the U.S and Australian Opens. 2 WTA Championships titles. Became first women to ever beat both Williams on route to a slam title at the 2007 U.S Open.

Kim Clijsters- 2 U.S Open titles. A runner up at both the Australian and U.S Opens. 3 other semifinal losses at the Australian Open. Miami winner twice. 2 WTA Championship titles. Became second women to ever beat both Williams en route to a slam title at the 2009 U.S Open.

Venus Williams- 2 U.S Open titles. 2 other U.S Open finals. 1 Australian Open final. Lost to the eventual champion at 4 of the last 5 U.S Opens, albeit none in the finals. 3 Miami titles. 1 WTA Championship title.

Maria Sharapova- 1 U.S Open title. 1 Australian Open title. 1 WTA Chamionship title. 1 other Australian Open final. 1 other U.S Open semifinal.

Lindsay Davenport- if you can count her as part of this generation as a crossover player perhaps. 1 U.S Open title. 1 Australian Open title. 1 other U.S Open final. 1 other Australian Open final. 4 other hard court Slam semis. 1 WTA Championship title. Many other tournament wins on hard courts.

I dont count Hingis or Capriati as being recent enough to count on this poll. Granted they are closer to contemporaries of Davenport than Davenport probably is to these players, but Davenport barely made it as a crossover player for me.

egn
05-18-2010, 10:41 AM
Its really close between Henin, Clijsters and Venus but Henin has to get it. You can't argue with the results her hard court resume is just a slight bit better. However if Sharapova can ever get back on track she might be able to pass them..but sadly this doesn't look like it is happening anytime soon.

Lionheart392
05-18-2010, 10:58 AM
While Serena has been hands down the best hard court player of this generation of women with a remarkable 8 hard court slams, there are a number of women who could be argued that a number of women are the 2nd best of this most recent generation of players on this surface. Those would be:

Justine Henin- 2 U.S Open titles. 1 Australian Open title. Another runner up at both the U.S and Australian Opens. 2 WTA Championships titles. Became first women to ever beat both Williams on route to a slam title at the 2007 U.S Open.

Kim Clijsters- 2 U.S Open titles. A runner up at both the Australian and U.S Opens. 3 other semifinal losses at the Australian Open. Miami winner twice. 2 WTA Championship titles. Became second women to ever beat both Williams en route to a slam title at the 2009 U.S Open.

Venus Williams- 2 U.S Open titles. 2 other U.S Open finals. 1 Australian Open final. Lost to the eventual champion at 4 of the last 5 U.S Opens, albeit none in the finals. 3 Miami titles. 1 WTA Championship title.

Maria Sharapova- 1 U.S Open title. 1 Australian Open title. 1 WTA Chamionship title. 1 other Australian Open final. 1 other U.S Open semifinal.

Lindsay Davenport- if you can count her as part of this generation as a crossover player perhaps. 1 U.S Open title. 1 Australian Open title. 1 other U.S Open final. 1 other Australian Open final. 4 other hard court Slam semis. 1 WTA Championship title. Many other tournament wins on hard courts.

I dont count Hingis or Capriati as being recent enough to count on this poll. Granted they are closer to contemporaries of Davenport than Davenport probably is to these players, but Davenport barely made it as a crossover player for me.

Just a small correction, Henin and Clijsters are the 2nd and 3rd women respectively to beat both Venus and Serena in the same slam, the 1st was Hingis at the 2001 Australian Open.
I would say Henin, out of the women listed she probably has the most complete hard court resume.

Dreamer
05-18-2010, 01:09 PM
Maybe we'll find out after this US Open. Unless Serena wins it again

Cyan
05-18-2010, 01:12 PM
Henin.

10 char

fedhingis515
05-18-2010, 01:12 PM
Just a small correction, Henin and Clijsters are the 2nd and 3rd women respectively to beat both Venus and Serena in the same slam, the 1st was Hingis at the 2001 Australian Open.
I would say Henin, out of the women listed she probably has the most complete hard court resume.

He said "on route to the title". Hingis didn't win the 2001 AO, but Henin and Clijsters did end up winning the slams where they beat both sisters.

Lionheart392
05-18-2010, 03:17 PM
He said "on route to the title". Hingis didn't win the 2001 AO, but Henin and Clijsters did end up winning the slams where they beat both sisters.

Ah touche, my mistake :twisted: