PDA

View Full Version : Will Djokovic win another slam?

rovex
05-18-2010, 10:28 AM
Yes or no?

hoodjem
05-18-2010, 10:29 AM
Maybe, if he can sneak in there after Fed and Nadal retire, and before the next good player comes along.

rovex
05-18-2010, 10:31 AM
Maybe, if he can sneak in there after Fed and Nadal retire, and before the next good player comes along.

i'd be surprised if Djoker retires later on than Nadal. I don't think he enjoys playing much.

NoleDjoko
05-18-2010, 10:33 AM
YES hell yes

Semi-Pro
05-18-2010, 10:37 AM
Ya. I can see another AO or a US Open title and perhaps FO title after Nadal is washed up.

Gaab
05-18-2010, 10:37 AM
If he doesnt have problems breathing or with his stomach, he might.

egn
05-18-2010, 10:45 AM
Yes. Here are a few reasons why I feel this way. His ego might help him here. He wants to be on top, he has never "lost drive" and he is trying to get better. He hired Martin to fix his serve, it didn't work he got rid of him. He is trying to fix his game and push to the next level. I think we will see an improved hard court Djokovic once he gets back into the swing of things with his old service motion. Lets not forget Djoker has one of the most solid baseline games on tour and the way he can change the direction of the ball is crazy. I think Djoker can grab another slam or two in the distant future and possibly could do a lot better, I'm not sure if I see him getting to number 1 anymore but he can get another slam. The best thing he has going for him is when he is playing his A game he is good on almost every surface.

nikdom
05-18-2010, 10:59 AM
Yes. He's still too young to write him off. Plus he's no Roddick, (with all due respect to Roddick and his fans) who relies a lot on a single shot, his serve, to remain a one slam wonder. Even Roddick has come close a few times but remained unlucky. So I don't see why Novak won't get his chances again with his kind of talent.

RCizzle65
05-18-2010, 12:04 PM
I think he can at least grab a US Open, he's made it to the final and semi's the past 3 years and lost to one person, Federer, so he may have his chance there. I think he can also sneak a French Open, maybe not this year but at least starting next year where Federer will be getting even older, and maybe he will figure out Nadal on clay or he may lose early.

P_Agony
05-18-2010, 12:06 PM
If he impoves his mental game and stamina, he can win more than one. He owns Nadal on hard courts and he can beat Federer as well, so I don't see why not.

He needs to keep his focus during an entire match, cut down the DFs at the big points, use his aggressive weapons more often, and work on his fitness and serve.

P_Agony
05-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Yes. He's still too young to write him off. Plus he's no Roddick, (with all due respect to Roddick and his fans) who relies a lot on a single shot, his serve, to remain a one slam wonder. Even Roddick has come close a few times but remained unlucky. So I don't see why Novak won't get his chances again with his kind of talent.

I think Roddick's baseline game is really underated. Roddick would have had about 5 slams now if it wasn't for one guy who keeps destroying him.

Cyan
05-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Probably USO. It is his best slam, he has only lost to Fed there in the past 3 yrs.

rovex
05-18-2010, 12:08 PM
If he impoves his mental game and stamina, he can win more than one. He owns Nadal on hard courts and he can beat Federer as well, so I don't see why not.

He needs to keep his focus during an entire match, cut down the DFs at the big points, use his aggressive weapons more often, and work on his fitness and serve.

What would happen if he runs into Murray in a hard court slam? I don't think he has much chance if Murray is playing well IMO.

mtr1
05-18-2010, 12:13 PM
He'll win the French in the future, whether Nadal has retired, is injured or suffers from loss of form remains to be seen. I also think he'll add a one or two more hardcourt slams, so he could end up with 3-4 when he's done.

cknobman
05-18-2010, 12:15 PM
Yes .

Radobg
05-18-2010, 12:55 PM
During the last 8 slams he did nothing memorable!I think his maximum is 1-2 more!But I would not be suprise if he stay only with one!
However he is capable to prove a lot of people wrong and start wining slams like crazy from next year!!:)

P_Agony
05-18-2010, 01:02 PM
What would happen if he runs into Murray in a hard court slam? I don't think he has much chance if Murray is playing well IMO.

I think he and Murray are pretty even. I would give Murray the slight mental edge but anything can happen.

Augustus
05-18-2010, 01:13 PM
I don't think we should write Novak off just yet. He's having some serious issues at the moment, however. He needs to work on his game as well, get his serve back and regain confidence on the forehand.

However, Djokovic is one of the most talented players on tour and has the ability to play well on all surfaces. When he plays his absolute best on he can beat anyone, including Federer and Nadal. He's still young and I do believe (and hope) that he will find his form again. If so, he'll be a threat at every slam, especially since Federer is getting older and Nadal's health is suspect.

Hopefully both Djokovic and Murray will return to top form soon, because in my opinion they're still the future of men's tennis.

jamesblakefan#1
05-18-2010, 01:39 PM
I think he and Murray are pretty even. I would give Murray the slight mental edge but anything can happen.

I think it's interesting seeing as how Murray's won the past 3 HC meetings since he came into his own at Wimby 08, each one in straights, and Murray to me's been the better player for the past 2 years, and the record bears that out.

I think Murray will end up winning more slams than Djokovic.

dincuss
05-18-2010, 02:05 PM
^^
I agree,

but the problem with djokovic is that he won a slam so early in his career that he looked extremely talented and hasn't been able to pull off something that big again, so people almost write him off when it comes to slams

I think it really depends on Fed or Nadal if Djokovic (or murray for that matter) will win a slam
sounds cruel, but its the truth

zak425
05-18-2010, 02:09 PM
I think he has a pretty good chance. But he doesnt only have to sneak around or beat Nadal and Fed but also Del Po. Once Del Po returns its only going to make it harder for Djoker.

davey25
05-18-2010, 02:12 PM
Definitely. Not sure if he will ever fulfill his immense potential, particularly since he has already not fulfilled all of his opportunities in a few of what were his potential best years perhaps. However he is too talented and good to not win another, plus the field is such he will have to. Federer and Nadal cant win every slam forever. I dont think Nadal will ever win the U.S Open, and if he were to it would be 1 at most, while Federer isnt going to win there everyone of the next 5 years. Nadal will have to lose again at the French at some point, and Federer is nearing the end of his window as a possible winner there IMO. Australia he always has a great shot. It has to happen at some point, probably multiple times. It is not like he will be like Roddick and Hewitt, stuck during the time period Federer wins 3 slams every year and Nadal wins the French every year.

davey25
05-18-2010, 02:13 PM
I think he has a pretty good chance. But he doesnt only have to sneak around or beat Nadal and Fed but also Del Po. Once Del Po returns its only going to make it harder for Djoker.

Who knows on Djokovic vs Del Potro. Djokovic owns him in head to head at this point though.

Djokovic can definitely beat Nadal on hard courts even if Nadal is at his best. Federer is still a big threat but already less dominant than before and only likely to decline further from here.

jamesblakefan#1
05-18-2010, 02:24 PM
Definitely. Not sure if he will ever fulfill his immense potential, particularly since he has already not fulfilled all of his opportunities in a few of what were his potential best years perhaps. However he is too talented and good to not win another, plus the field is such he will have to. Federer and Nadal cant win every slam forever. I dont think Nadal will ever win the U.S Open, and if he were to it would be 1 at most, while Federer isnt going to win there everyone of the next 5 years. Nadal will have to lose again at the French at some point, and Federer is nearing the end of his window as a possible winner there IMO. Australia he always has a great shot. It has to happen at some point, probably multiple times. It is not like he will be like Roddick and Hewitt, stuck during the time period Federer wins 3 slams every year and Nadal wins the French every year.

Why do you make no mention of Murray, who's owned Djoker on HC in recent history (albeit they haven't met since Miami last year) and has the better record the past 2 years than Djoker?

Yeah he's been struggling recently, but let's not forget he just made AO final and has made 2 finals since Djoker made his last one.

P_Agony
05-18-2010, 02:49 PM
I think it's interesting seeing as how Murray's won the past 3 HC meetings since he came into his own at Wimby 08, each one in straights, and Murray to me's been the better player for the past 2 years, and the record bears that out.

I think Murray will end up winning more slams than Djokovic.

I think it's too soon to tell, as Murray hasn't won a slam yet, and Djokovic has. However, there may be truth in what you say given Murray has reached two slam finals since 2008 and was beaten by the same player in both, while Djokovic hasn't reached a final since AO 08.

Both, IMO, should perform much better at slams than they do, given their games and talents.

Ballbashing Grinder
05-18-2010, 06:35 PM
I think it's too soon to tell, as Murray hasn't won a slam yet, and Djokovic has. However, there may be truth in what you say given Murray has reached two slam finals since 2008 and was beaten by the same player in both, while Djokovic hasn't reached a final since AO 08.

Both, IMO, should perform much better at slams than they do, given their games and talents.

Well,come on now,okay AO 2010 is a fair point but I certainly wouldn't count US 08 as Murray getting to a slam final where Djokovic failed to do so.They were both beaten by the same player- Fed,and if you want to get technical,Djokovic did manage to win a set.That was a pure case of the luck of the draw that Djokovic rather than Murray was drawn to play Fed in semis and I have a feeling that Djokovic too would have beaten "a worn down Nadal" after his summer heroics, to make the final just as Murray did

Semi-Pro
05-18-2010, 06:55 PM

How can you give Murray the slight mental edge? At least Djokovic won a slam, not to mention beating Federer getting there which I think is a huge part, mentally. He knows what it takes at least, Murray hasn't even gotten a sniff in the two slam finals he played in.

DownTheLine
05-18-2010, 06:57 PM
He's to good not too.

jamesblakefan#1
05-18-2010, 07:56 PM
How can you give Murray the slight mental edge? At least Djokovic won a slam, not to mention beating Federer getting there which I think is a huge part, mentally. He knows what it takes at least, Murray hasn't even gotten a sniff in the two slam finals he played in.

If Murray got mono Fed and Tsonga as slam SF/F opponents, he might have one now as well.

davey25
05-18-2010, 08:03 PM
Who knows what Murray's future holds as well. He is of course a potential slam winning threat in the coming years but he has just as much question marks about his prospects for the future as Djokovic, maybe even more, at this exact moment. It isnt a good sign when you are 22 and already telling the press that you dont find tennis fun anymore and are losing your motivation. As well other than one tournament- the Australian Open, he hasnt posted a strong result in the last 9 months anywhere really. Of course it could just be a slump but it could also be more meaningful than that as well.

Murray the better results the last 2 years? I can see how some could interpret it that way but the fact is still Djokovic has ended every year ranked higher than Murray, and has ended every year with better overall slam results for the year than Murray thus far too (even if last year by only the most marginal difference).

And lets give Djokovic the credit he deserves for the 2008 Australian Open. The guy was playing some first rate tennis there, he simply wasnt going to be beaten by anyone. Even Tsonga playing out of his mind and destroying Nadal couldnt do it. If Djokovic had not been there Federer was still probably playing well enough to beat either Tsonga or Nadal and win the title that year. Djokovic flat out outplayed and overpowered Federer that particular day. I think people forget how highly regarded and even feared Djokovic was in the second of 2007 and much of 2008, especialy on a hard court.

jamesblakefan#1
05-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Since Wimbledon 2008:

Murray - 110-22 (.833) 9 titles, 4 MS titles Slam Results: 2 F, 1 SF, 2 QF

Djokovic - 119-33 (.782), 7 titles, 1 MS title, 1 YEC title Slam Results: 0 finals, 2 SF, 3 QF

angiebaby
05-18-2010, 10:25 PM
I think he can. And I think he will. Probably a French at some point, most likely a USO at an earlier date. I don't see a Wimbledon trophy in his cabinet though but stranger things have happened.

That said, I also don't think he'll be a prolific slam winner. I'll wager he'll win a couple more but that would be that. That would still be a pretty great career when it's all said and done.

Justdoit10
05-18-2010, 10:31 PM
I hope not. That guy is a jerk on court.

P_Agony
05-18-2010, 11:09 PM

But since then Djokovic is so on and off, you can't possibly trust him to win anything. Djokovic never reached that AO 08 level since then. Yes, you see flashes of it from time to time, but he can reach very high level in one match and play like crap the next match. Problem is, Djokovic's crap isn't like Federer's crap. Federer can still somehow find the victory even when playing badly, while Djokovic often just fades away with the DFs and body language.

I think in 2009 Murray has been the superior player, winning two MS titles to Djoker's one, and being mentally stronger throughout the year. Since the AO final, I'm not sure that's the case anymore. Wilmbledon will tell.

Bryan Swartz
05-18-2010, 11:28 PM
He's to good not too.

I remember saying the same thing about Safin. I don't there's any such thing as too good not to in tennis.

vortex1
05-18-2010, 11:52 PM
He will when Federer and Nadal both retire. Nadal will always deny Djoker french and possibly wimbledon. While Fed will always deny Djoker HC and wimbledon. It's as simple as that. Same goes for Murray, except he won't even make it to RG/Wimbledon finals.

Sentinel
05-19-2010, 12:30 AM
Come on , you have to finish 7 matches to win a slam. No way !

djokovicgonzalez2010
05-19-2010, 03:04 AM
he will get close to career slam, winning more aos, uso, and rg

Sentinel
05-19-2010, 05:44 AM
Look imma big fan of Đoković and he's a great guy on and off court and all that, but in my part of the world we call him a mamma's boy. So the answer is a resounding No.

Hitman
05-19-2010, 05:52 AM
He will if he can focus his mind on the task at hand. He hasn't been hungry for a long time, and he needs that hunger back.

But when he is on, he is one of the best players to watch.

davey25
05-19-2010, 08:58 AM
He will when Federer and Nadal both retire. Nadal will always deny Djoker french and possibly wimbledon. While Fed will always deny Djoker HC and wimbledon. It's as simple as that. Same goes for Murray, except he won't even make it to RG/Wimbledon finals.

Nadal and Federer will be both done winning slams before they retire. I am sure of that. However Djokovic himself might be done winning slams at that point too.

Sentinel
05-19-2010, 07:56 PM
Nadal and Federer will be both done winning slams before they retire
Nadal and Federer will be both done winning slams after they retire

TennisNinja
05-19-2010, 08:44 PM
I'm sure he's got it in it.

jamesblakefan#1
05-19-2010, 08:44 PM
Nadal and Federer will be both done winning slams before they retire. I am sure of that. However Djokovic himself might be done winning slams at that point too.

Djokovic may be done before the both of them, quite frankly. Who knows. Djokovic's got a lot of wear on the tires (most matches played last year), and fitness has never been the strong suit for him, who knows if 2-3 years down the line he hits a wall like Nadal did last yr. And I don't know if he's the fighter Nadal is to be able to comeback from a severe injury. That's why I'm so skeptical whenever I hear these long term projections for Djokovic to be at the top of the game. He may just break down physically IMO.

aceX
05-20-2010, 03:49 AM
Fo sho homie