PDA

View Full Version : The next NUMBER ONE not named Nadal or Federer

aceX
05-19-2010, 04:18 AM
Okay here we go. I reckon Djokovic because he seems like he's here to stay. Murray has the skills but it almost feels like if he doesn't win a GS soon he'll quit tennis lol. I'd like to see Del Potro but who knows what's gonna happen with his wrist.

Speranza
05-19-2010, 04:25 AM
Holmes: Both the good doctor and I were discussing this point only last night, and we came to the following conclusion:

'IF' he can return to good health, and his height doesn't play a part in the detriment of his health in the game (as is possible with tall players), then Del Potro would be our guess.

Aside from Wimbledon, he has shown great standard in all the other GSs in his last year and importantly on clay as a surface. Why, only the last few days on this forum has shown how much of the year is spent playing on clay, and the weighting towards it in terms of points/ranking. Am sure he can succeed at Wimbledon too for obvious reasons.

He's shown he can win a GS on hard court (the only one to have remained a fast court) and shown he can play on the slowest. Serve and groundstrokes are excellent, and consistent.

Again, assuming he can play whilst he returns and stays in good health, he'd be our vote.

MrFlip
05-19-2010, 04:28 AM
Murray. Surely has to do better at the US Open this year and Aus Open next year. Wimbledon for him will be a struggle against Nadal and Federer, but RG isnt even an option since he sucks on clay. Will never win that ever.

PSNELKE
05-19-2010, 04:32 AM
IMO Cilic or JMDP
Cilic if he gets consistent and improves his clay court game..

JMDP is too injury prone, but if he returns to health again and stays healthy then Cilic and him are the biggest contenders.
But I doubt JMDP will ever win Wimby... -needs to improve grass court game.

Murray is has too many problems with his family etc. and heīs a real pusher who cannot make a lot of damage on clay

Djokovic is injury prone too and needs more stamina..

Tsonga is already 25 years old and I doubt he can beat guys like Murray, Cilic, Djokovic JMDP etc. in a few years.

Gael Monfils is injury prone and the King of headcase

Gulbis could reach it too but he doesnīt focuse enough on tennis and has not a winner mindset..

I donīt know about others but guys like Nishikori, Dimitrov, Berta, etc, are under discussion too.
Even if I havenīt seen a lot of them.

Speranza
05-19-2010, 04:33 AM
Murray. Surely has to do better at the US Open this year and Aus Open next year. Wimbledon for him will be a struggle against Nadal and Federer, but RG isnt even an option since he sucks on clay. Will never win that ever.

Holmes: I wouldn't say he sucks on clay, but his level isn't currently good in comparison to others, hence my vote (as stated above) for Del Potro.

aceX
05-19-2010, 04:33 AM
Murray. Surely has to do better at the US Open this year and Aus Open next year.

There's not much better he can do at the Australian Open, apart from winning :lol:

aceX
05-19-2010, 04:36 AM
Holmes: I wouldn't say he sucks on clay, but his level isn't currently good in comparison to others, hence my vote (as stated above) for Del Potro.

Man, Del Potro almost denied fed his 2009 RG title. That semi-final was much better than the final.

vortex1
05-19-2010, 04:40 AM

Mugray is never getting #1 spot. It would be bad for the sport.

Speranza
05-19-2010, 04:43 AM
Man, Del Potro almost denied fed his 2009 RG title. That semi-final was much better than the final.

Holmes: Indeed it was! Tremendous match. It was for that reason that I opted for DP to win the US Open even prior to the tournament starting. For once, I was right ;)

Watson: Er, Holmes, we weren't here then.

Holmes: Oh, errr.....Ummm.... No, what I meant was that I had said this to Speranza, who in turn stole my reasoning and paraded it as his.
Watson: Yeah. Right.

aceX
05-19-2010, 04:47 AM
Mugray is never getting #1 spot. It would be bad for the sport.

Please elaborate

vortex1
05-19-2010, 04:48 AM
Please elaborate

No slams. It would make real tennis look like WTA.

PSNELKE
05-19-2010, 04:52 AM
I donīt know why people think that gulbi will be the new No1 because he played 3 good tourneys.
I bet he will not make it to the round of 16 at the FO.

aceX
05-19-2010, 04:54 AM
No slams. It would make real tennis look like WTA.

Oh. Well I think a reasonable assumption is that the next number one will have to win some slams in order to take the spot. Of course this isn't necessarily the case but it seems unlikely that someone could be #1 without a slam. Poor Safina.

vortex1
05-19-2010, 04:55 AM
I donīt know why people think that gulbi will be the new No1 because he played 3 good tourneys.

Gulbis is very overrated right now. But he hasn't earned a mug status so far, I am willing to give him a couple of years to prove himself.

vortex1
05-19-2010, 04:56 AM
Oh. Well I think a reasonable assumption is that the next number one will have to win some slams in order to take the spot. Of course this isn't necessarily the case but it seems unlikely that someone could be #1 without a slam. Poor Safina.

And Jankovic. Wozniacki at #2 was another travesty.

aceX
05-19-2010, 04:57 AM

Well no-one is saying he's going to be number 1 this year.

I think the key things are that they're young (e.g. JMDP) and have proven that they have what it takes (e.g. JMDP).

I think that Fed and Nad will camp that number 1 spot for a few more years to come, though.

aceX
05-19-2010, 05:02 AM
And Jankovic. Wozniacki at #2 was another travesty.

Well they have to make the other tournaments count for points otherwise no-one would play. Anyway I don't follow the WTA, I'd rather watch a Futures match

Topaz
05-19-2010, 05:06 AM
And the 'travesty' has occurred on the men's side as well...and guess what, both men *and* women play 'real' tennis. :roll:

PSNELKE
05-19-2010, 05:07 AM
Gulbis is very overrated right now. But he hasn't earned a mug status so far, I am willing to give him a couple of years to prove himself.

Well no-one is saying he's going to be number 1 this year.

I think the key things are that they're young (e.g. JMDP) and have proven that they have what it takes (e.g. JMDP).

I think that Fed and Nad will camp that number 1 spot for a few more years to come, though.

Yeah heīs VERY OVERRATED! But give him centuries to improve he will not take the chance.
This arrogant kid is not focused enough on tennis to be the new GOAT or to reach ever the No1 spot.
IMO he has no chance against his age group with Cilic and JMDP.
Only real Gulbistards believe that heīs going to be No1 in a few years.

aceX
05-19-2010, 05:12 AM
None of the Gulbis voters are posting any reasons :lol:.
The only reason I included him is because he's hot right now and I knew it would stir some people up

aphex
05-19-2010, 05:25 AM
The only reason I included him is because he's hot right now and I knew it would stir some people up

gulbis was top 100 in the world without even training.

watch his very rapid ascension in the rankings now that he's taken tennis seriously...he will finish top 15 for 2010.

PSNELKE
05-19-2010, 05:31 AM

watch his very rapid ascension in the rankings now that he's taken tennis seriously...he will finish top 15 for 2010.

gulbis was top 100 because he had nothing to defend..
ok now he played 3 nice tournaments does this really mean that heīs going to be top 15 this year?
wait for the hardcourt season he will loose against top 15 guys like berdych, Cilic, Gonzalez, Tsonga, Verdasco, Roddick.
And this guy will never take tennis serious..

aphex
05-19-2010, 05:46 AM
gulbis was top 100 because he had nothing to defend..
ok now he played 3 nice tournaments does this really mean that heīs going to be top 15 this year?
wait for the hardcourt season he will loose against top 15 guys like berdych, Cilic, Gonzalez, Tsonga, Verdasco, Roddick.
And this guy will never take tennis serious..

nice logic there guy. i have nothing to defend either...can i be 100?:oops:

he has just started taking tennis seriously and he has been spanking almost everyone on his worst surface.
clearly you don't know that HC is his best surface...

Totai
05-19-2010, 05:54 AM
Who are we kidding, the day that Fedal stop playing tennis is the end of the world

PSNELKE
05-19-2010, 05:58 AM
nice logic there guy. i have nothing to defend either...can i be 100?:oops:

he has just started taking tennis seriously and he has been spanking almost everyone on his worst surface.
clearly you don't know that HC is his best surface...

nice logic. He spanks everyone on hist worst surface--> clay
but you donīt know if HC is his best surface.:oops:

Ok he said heīs starting to take tennis seriously and that means that heīs going to be the new No1.and he will beat everyone on every surface.
Only thing I can say is all hat and no cattle.
Letīs await his FO result.

aphex
05-19-2010, 06:00 AM

Ok he said heīs starting to take tennis seriously and that means that heīs going to be the new No1.and he will beat everyone on every surface.

have you been living under a rock?

since he said that a few months ago, he's risen 50 places...:oops:

aphex
05-19-2010, 06:02 AM

Began playing at age five when his grandmother first brought him to a tennis court...Father, Ainars, is an investment businessman and former basketball player; mother, Milena, is a drama theatre actress...Has three sisters, Elina, who is older and finished her law degree in England; Laura and Monika who are younger and both play tennis; and one younger brother, Kristops, who is attending the Saddlebrook Academy in Florida to pursue golf....Grandfather was a starter on former Soviet Union national basketball team which won European Championships.

Speaks Latvian, Russian, English and a little German...Enjoys playing soccer, basketball and hockey...Considers hard courts his favorite surface and serve and backhand drop shot his best shot...Member of Latvian Davis Cup team and has a 15-8 career record (10-4 in singles) in 11 ties...Used to work with former ATP pro Niki Pilic and trained at Pilic's Tennis Academy in Munich (from age 12-18)...Coached by former ATP pro Hernan Gumy of Argentina (since mid-September 2009).

PSNELKE
05-19-2010, 06:04 AM
have you been living under a rock?

since he said that a few months ago, he's risen 50 places...:oops:

the first time he said that was after delrey beach and rome..
considering harcourt as favorite surface doesnīt mean that he plays his best tennis on hard court

Rina
05-19-2010, 06:32 AM
I voted Djokovic since he has been in the first 3 for quite a while now. If Fed retires, and Nadal get injured... I know my reasons are not based on his tennis, but unless he decides to become a player he can be(or maybe we hope he can be) this will be his chance. But, I am also hoping that he lost twice to Verdasco because he was sick, if he lost because Verdasco was truly better, he is in trouble.

Hitman
05-19-2010, 06:55 AM
Del Potro. The guy was starting to make his move last year, and had shown he was not afraid of going toe to toe with Roger and Rafa, beating them both. He is also a match up problem for both of them as well, as has been seen in his recent encounters.

cknobman
05-19-2010, 07:14 AM
I hate trying to predict the future.

I went with Gulbis just for *****s and giggles.

Cyan
05-19-2010, 08:07 AM
Nole.......

vortex1
05-19-2010, 08:09 AM
Del Potro. The guy was starting to make his move last year, and had shown he was not afraid of going toe to toe with Roger and Rafa, beating them both. He is also a match up problem for both of them as well, as has been seen in his recent encounters.

Beating injured Nadal and Federer serving at sub 50% doesn't make it a "problem match up". We'll see what Delpotro can do once he recovers. Until then, he's a one slam wonder.

Hitman
05-19-2010, 08:15 AM
Beating injured Nadal and Federer serving at sub 50% doesn't make it a "problem match up". We'll see what Delpotro can do once he recovers. Until then, he's a one slam wonder.

He was going to run through Rafa no matter what Rafa he played at the US Open last year. Rafa's forehand does not hurt Del Potro, as much as Del Potro's forehand hurts Rafa.

And when Roger got into baseline rallies with Del Potro, especially after Del Potro woke up, he was punching holes through Roger's defense. If Roger does not serve well, that could happen again.

Granted, we'll see what happen when he recovers. But this guy is not afraid to land his punches.

Radobg
05-19-2010, 08:55 AM
He was going to run through Rafa no matter what Rafa he played at the US Open last year. Rafa's forehand does not hurt Del Potro, as much as Del Potro's forehand hurts Rafa.

And when Roger got into baseline rallies with Del Potro, especially after Del Potro woke up, he was punching holes through Roger's defense. If Roger does not serve well, that could happen again.

Granted, we'll see what happen when he recovers. But this guy is not afraid to land his punches.

agree with you..
If he found his form quickly after this injury and be able to replace Roger like dominant fors on hard courts might become nomber one sooner then people expect!
But I still think Rafa can show much more against Juan in the future even on fast hard courts

SirGounder
05-19-2010, 09:25 AM
JMDP would be my guess or Donald Young

r2473
05-19-2010, 09:29 AM
Andy "Clay God" Roddick.

After racking up major points this clay season he is in an excellent position to take over #1 after breezing to the FO title.

nikdom
05-19-2010, 09:33 AM
Despite his injury, when he returns, JMDP. Guy has made it deep into the slams on all surfaces, has won one against Fed in a slam final (which no one with the exception of Nadal has been able to do in years) and has the game to match up against the other contenders.

Shaolin
05-19-2010, 09:41 AM

How is this for you...

Reason 1: He probably has more weapons than any player I have ever seen.

Reason 2: He is not an oversized, injury prone, oaf like a Delpo that will always have physical breakdowns.

Reason 3: He has a good game on any surface.

Reason 4: He has zero fear of any of the elite players, and almost always gets al least a set on them, even back when he wasnt playing that well.

Reason 5: He only recently started training hard and practicing a lot. If he starts putting in the kind of work Nadal does, god help the rest of the tour.

ktownva
05-19-2010, 09:47 AM
I think Monfils. I pick him to win the USO this year.

nikdom
05-19-2010, 09:48 AM
How is this for you...

Reason 1: He probably has more weapons than any player I have ever seen.

Reason 2: He is not an oversized, injury prone, oaf like a Delpo that will always have physical breakdowns.

Reason 3: He has a good game on any surface.

Reason 4: He has zero fear of any of the elite players, and almost always gets al least a set on them, even back when he wasnt playing that well.

Reason 5: He only recently started training hard and practicing a lot. If he starts putting in the kind of work Nadal does, god help the rest of the tour.

By his own reckoning, Gulbis said he was shitting his pants closing out the match against Roger in Rome.

I agree Ernie is a guy with good potential. But I have to see him play at least GS semis consistently to even put him on a list of potential no. 1's, far less the NEXT one.

I think its a little premature for that. Hopefully we'll see Ernie make a big splash at the FO and Wimby this year. If not, we've seen these stories before. Remember a guy named Gasquet?

ksbh
05-19-2010, 09:54 AM
Juan Martin Del Potro!

Talker
05-19-2010, 09:56 AM

Gulbis moved up in the rankings pretty well with only a few months of good results. If he just plays the way he is now the rest of the year he should beable to make the top 15. If he makes some improvements, which he can, top 10 isn't out of the question.
He has a way to go for #1 though, it's doubtful.

I picked Potro, he has what it takes physically and mentally. If he doesn't have any serious injuries that is.

nikdom
05-19-2010, 10:10 AM
The majority, myself included, seems to be with Delpo.

zak425
05-19-2010, 10:17 AM
Del Po all the way! Gulbis openly admits he doesnt practice and just wants the fame. Not that, that has stopped other past number 1's from getting the top spot. But, if all these guys are completely healthy you got to say its Del Po, biggest shots in the game and he moves so quick

Wilander Fan
05-19-2010, 10:26 AM
I think most of the players on this list are going to be yet another lost generation picking up scraps from Federer and Nadal. Also, it seems really difficult for someone to come back from a serious injury at the pro level. Of the top of my head, I cant think of any player out for 6 months and returning to pre-injury form. Particularly when you are talking about a joint injury..those things almost never recover fully.

I think Gulbis has a chance though. He is young and seems to be improving. He also has some very impressive weapons including a big high percentage first serve and big ground strokes. Have not seen much of him at net but he seems to have very good touch. He is going to be very dangerous on hard courts.

OKUSA
05-19-2010, 12:12 PM
i would've said Del Potro if I had any belief he will actually play at that level again, his injury seems quite severe

I went with Gulbis just because he's Gulbis

Antonio Puente
05-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Someone not on the list. Some young player who no one is considering will rise up.

davey25
05-19-2010, 12:29 PM
And the 'travesty' has occurred on the men's side as well...and guess what, both men *and* women play 'real' tennis. :roll:

Well both the womens and mens games have seen better days.

batz
05-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Despite his injury, when he returns, JMDP. Guy has made it deep into the slams on all surfaces, has won one against Fed in a slam final (which no one with the exception of Nadal has been able to do in years) and has the game to match up against the other contenders.

He hasn't made it deep on all slams on all surfaces - he's mince on grass and hasn't got beyond R2 @ Wimbledon. Also the statement that he 'has the game to match up to the other contenders' isn't borne out by his head to head with Murray (5-1, 4-0 on hardcourt) and Novak (3-0) that's 1-8 against the two probable strongest contenders in Fedfal free world.

Don't get me wrong - I like the big fella, but I think there's a bit of leap being made from 'beat Roger in a slam final' to 'favourite to be next world number 1'.

aceX
05-19-2010, 05:18 PM
I'm surprised there aren't more votes for Murray. I would consider him a safer bet considering Del Po's current status.

nikdom
05-19-2010, 06:52 PM
He hasn't made it deep on all slams on all surfaces - he's mince on grass and hasn't got beyond R2 @ Wimbledon. Also the statement that he 'has the game to match up to the other contenders' isn't borne out by his head to head with Murray (5-1, 4-0 on hardcourt) and Novak (3-0) that's 1-8 against the two probable strongest contenders in Fedfal free world.

Don't get me wrong - I like the big fella, but I think there's a bit of leap being made from 'beat Roger in a slam final' to 'favourite to be next world number 1'.

You're right. The head to head numbers are not in favor of JMDP's case. Not a rational conclusion mine. I guess I'm not as sanguine about Murray and Djokovic's chances given their failure to convert on GS chances in the last couple of years.

aphex
05-19-2010, 11:57 PM

..the double bagel in australia confirmed that Delpo is a nightmare matchup for Federer..poor Roger, he couldn't even triple bagel him...

Hitman
05-20-2010, 12:57 AM
..the double bagel in australia confirmed that Delpo is a nightmare matchup for Federer..poor Roger, he couldn't even triple bagel him...

I wouldn't say he is a nightmare match up, but he is a bad match up imo.

What I saw during 2009 was the emergence of Del Potro. From getting smoked in Australia, he went on to put on a decent showing in Madrid that year. And only a few days later, gave Roger a huge fright at RG. Considering what happened a few months earlier, this showed a massive improvement in Del Potro. He was blasting that ball past Roger, it was Roger's experience, guile, and conditioning that got him through.

At the US Open, I saw a nervous Del Potro given half a chance by a careless Roger in the second, allowing him to gain confidence. Then I saw him go toe to toe with the 5 time US Open champ, and literally blast the ball through him, like he did Rafa the round before.

Then he backed it up in London, even if Roger decided he wanted Murray out.

Being a bad matchup doesnt mean that you can only play a certain type of game to beat someone. Yes, Roger is vulnerable on the high backhand. But Del Potro with his huge wing span, and trajectory and immense velocity can hit insanely powerful angles with minimal effort, and that does hurt Roger, when he can't even get his racquet to the ball.

So imo he is.

aceX
05-20-2010, 04:45 AM
Djokovic has closed in and is tight in second spot. I think once he gets his head together he'll win a few more slams.

batz
05-20-2010, 10:35 AM
You're right. The head to head numbers are not in favor of JMDP's case. Not a rational conclusion mine. I guess I'm not as sanguine about Murray and Djokovic's chances given their failure to convert on GS chances in the last couple of years.

That's a fair analysis Nikdom - but I reckon both would have greatly improved chances if Rafa and Roger weren't around.

abmk
05-20-2010, 10:44 AM
djoker or murray. del potro is too injury prone and I think he'll focus on the big ones - the slams and not bother so much about the smaller ones ..

Talker
05-20-2010, 11:22 AM

What I saw during 2009 was the emergence of Del Potro. From getting smoked in Australia, he went on to put on a decent showing in Madrid that year. And only a few days later, gave Roger a huge fright at RG. Considering what happened a few months earlier, this showed a massive improvement in Del Potro. He was blasting that ball past Roger, it was Roger's experience, guile, and conditioning that got him through.

At the US Open, I saw a nervous Del Potro given half a chance by a careless Roger in the second, allowing him to gain confidence. Then I saw him go toe to toe with the 5 time US Open champ, and literally blast the ball through him, like he did Rafa the round before.

Being a bad matchup doesnt mean that you can only play a certain type of game to beat someone. Yes, Roger is vulnerable on the high backhand. But Del Potro with his huge wing span, and trajectory and immense velocity can hit insanely powerful angles with minimal effort, and that does hurt Roger, when he can't even get his racquet to the ball.

So imo he is.

Pretty much agree with everything.

He can probably do the same at RG and Rafa may even be a better matchup there than Federer.

I was looking forward to this year seeing how Del Potro was improving, hope he makes it back to the near top.

bolo
05-20-2010, 11:31 AM

So imo he is.

I am not sure what makes him a bad "matchup". For example nadal and murray were competitive with federer even when there were below top 10 in the rankings and federer was no. 1. Delpo on the other hand had to raise his overall game quite a bit before he was able to be competitive with federer. Historically federer chews up power players like delpo (berdych, soderling, gulbis types). Delpo's win was already big but it was HUGE in this other context. When Nadal retires I will probably switch to Delpo, lol. :)

fundrazer
05-20-2010, 01:00 PM
This poll is missing some of the most likely candidates. Donald Young or Grigor Dimitrov for next #1!!!

But seriously, if Djoker ever gets his game together he's my pick. He's got all the tools to become numero uno.

rovex
05-20-2010, 01:03 PM
Andy Murray i feel. Djokovic just hasn't been convincing at all. And of course, Del Potro is an injury wreck.

Serendipitous
05-20-2010, 01:13 PM
Verdass Co.

davey25
05-20-2010, 02:33 PM
I am tempted to pick none of the above. However I keep faith the ultra talented Novak Djokovic will get his head together at some point and take #1 as Federer and Nadal begin to fade. Murray does not have the power or weapons to be #1 IMO, nor the stomach for the big matches. Del Potro is too unathletic and injury prone to ever get to #1 IMO. I could see him achieving alot more and winning multiple more slams, just not sustaining a level for 12 months to take #1.

veroniquem
05-20-2010, 02:39 PM
Soderling? #1??? That is really hard to envision... Hopefully it won't happen before many years, so we don't know that player yet!
The most talented of the players mentioned is undoubtedly Djoko (if only he could sort out his health problems, racket problems, etc).

davey25
05-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Soderling? #1??? That is really hard to envision... Hopefully it won't happen before many years, so we don't know that player yet!
The most talented of the players mentioned is undoubtedly Djoko (if only he could sort out his health problems, racket problems, etc).

Even Soderling is more likely than Sam Querrey or Gael Monfils though. Really there arent even that many feasible options now so to fill out the poll you need to include some pointless ones I guess. As highly unlikely as it is I would even include Davydenko or Roddick before those guys though.

Li Ching Yuen
05-20-2010, 02:45 PM
Sam Querrey?

For gods sakes? SAM QUERREY?

Jesus...

NamRanger
05-20-2010, 03:26 PM
Even Soderling is more likely than Sam Querrey or Gael Monfils though. Really there arent even that many feasible options now so to fill out the poll you need to include some pointless ones I guess. As highly unlikely as it is I would even include Davydenko or Roddick before those guys though.

If Nadal burns out in a year or two (which is likely to happen; I don't see him being a constant force in tennis for much longer) and Federer continues to go down hill (which is already happening) then I'd expect to see a surprise and relatively weak #1 soon. Could be anyone really at that point; it's anyone's guess.

NamRanger
05-20-2010, 03:28 PM

H2H with such young players is so false that you really can't tell who is better than who. For example, Djokovic CLEARLY owned Andy Murray at the beginning of their careers, and now it is the total reverse.

Anaconda
05-20-2010, 03:56 PM
- If JMDP was actually healthy, then his chances would have been as good as anyone elses IMO. One of the few young guns with big weapons.

- If Murray decides to show up in slams and play aggressive then maybe he will have chances to sneak a slam, or two and claim #1

- Djokovic has the biggest potential. He needs some motivation, oh yeah and he needs to work on his conditioning a little more. Then he would probably be one of the few with a great game but unlike someone like JMDP, doesn't get injured or pull out.

Monfils - too one dimensional, has weapons but doesn't use them.
Querrey - too many technical flaws and suspect movement.
Cilic - no plan b.
Gulbis - too inconsistent - however he can learn.

Basically, it's between Murray and Djokovic. JMDP will be back though.

Justin Side
05-20-2010, 06:04 PM
Novak Djokovic

aceX
05-20-2010, 06:52 PM
Sam Querrey?

For gods sakes? SAM QUERREY?

Jesus...

I had to put in someone, and he's relatively young and relatively highly ranked.

darthpwner
05-20-2010, 07:48 PM
Grigor Dimitrov-future GOAT.

aceX
05-21-2010, 06:38 AM
Wow Djokovic is now in front!

gold soundz
05-21-2010, 06:41 AM
Wow Djokovic is now in front!
the only way djokovic would become number one is when federer retires and nadal is past his prime, so i guess its possible. but honestly i think federer will be around for a long time.

Legend of Borg
05-21-2010, 06:43 AM
Grigor Dimitrov-future GOAT.

Unfortunately, Dimitrov lost in Cremona to Matthias Bachinger. I don't mean to sound negative, but shouldn't he be winning these matches? Let's hope he's not another DY.

darthpwner
05-21-2010, 06:44 AM
Unfortunately, Dimitrov lost in Cremona to Matthias Bachinger. I don't mean to sound negative, but shouldn't he be winning these matches? Let's hope he's not another DY.

Give him time. Lundgren should be able to help him grow his game to the pros like Federer.

aceX
05-22-2010, 07:52 PM
JMDP will be back though.

We can rebuild him — we have the technology

Serendipitous
05-22-2010, 07:55 PM
We can rebuild him — we have the technology

http://threadbombing.com/data/media/20/obama_lol.jpg

martini1
05-22-2010, 08:28 PM
It'll be some kid who is 18-19 now that most people have never heard of. Just like Fed 10 years ago.

darthpwner
05-22-2010, 08:36 PM
It'll be some kid who is 18-19 now that most people have never heard of. Just like Fed 10 years ago.

Which would be Grigor Dimitrov. One handed backhand, European, all-court game, won U.S. and Wimbledon juniors, same look and build as Federer. Born in 1991, 10 years after Roger, like how Roger is 10 years younger than Sampras.

aceX
05-22-2010, 08:39 PM

So you think Fed and Nad will camp the top spot for 4 or 5 years to come?

darthpwner
05-22-2010, 08:41 PM
So you think Fed and Nad will camp the top spot for 4 or 5 years to come?

That's a lot of W's in your signature.

gold soundz
05-22-2010, 08:41 PM
Which would be Grigor Dimitrov. One handed backhand, European, all-court game, won U.S. and Wimbledon juniors, same look and build as Federer. Born in 1991, 10 years after Roger, like how Roger is 10 years younger than Sampras.

He isn't the next Sampras/Federer. He doesn't use any type of Wilson Pro Staff, I don't think he's 6ft 1, he's not sponsored by Nike and he probably doesn't use an eastern forehand grip. Lol, I'm kind of just kidding. But I'm still 99% sure he's not the next Federer.

darthpwner
05-22-2010, 08:44 PM
He isn't the next Sampras/Federer. He doesn't use any type of Wilson Pro Staff, I don't think he's 6ft 1, he's not sponsored by Nike and he probably doesn't use an eastern forehand grip. Lol, I'm kind of just kidding. But I'm still 99% sure he's not the next Federer.

True, but he most resembles Sampras/Federer in the new generation. I hope this guy has a great future. Coach Lundgren will hopefully lead him to a Wimbledon title.

gold soundz
05-22-2010, 08:46 PM
True, but he most resembles Sampras/Federer in the new generation.

That doesn't mean he's going to be a great player like them. And to me his game isn't effortless like theirs anyway; it's quite far from that. His forehand is more like Safin's than Federer's. The next number one will probably be Del Potro when Federer's past his prime.

nadalfan4life
05-22-2010, 08:48 PM
I think Murray is a very talented player and once he decides to start playing more agressively in big matches he will be number one. But I don't think he will hold it for very long. I also think Delpo is a great player, but I just think Murray will get there BEFORE him. Also if gael monfils is ever healthy he will get pretty close, but I don't see that happening for a while.

gold soundz
05-22-2010, 08:50 PM
I think Murray is a very talented player and once he decides to start playing more agressively in big matches he will be number one. But I don't think he will hold it for very long. I also think Delpo is a great player, but I just think Murray will get there BEFORE him. Also if gael monfils is ever healthy he will get pretty close, but I don't see that happening for a while.

Nah Murray's game is too weak and he's too inconsistent IMO.

World Beater
05-22-2010, 08:52 PM
dimitrov has nice strokes but i dont think he has roger's footwork which is the most important characteristic of federer. federer's movement is why he is arguably the GOAT. his movement makes all his shots possible.

darthpwner
05-22-2010, 08:52 PM
That doesn't mean he's going to be a great player like them. And to me his game isn't effortless like theirs anyway; it's quite far from that. His forehand is more like Safin's than Federer's. The next number one will probably be Del Potro when Federer's past his prime.

Are you sure about that? Safin lets go of the racket with his left hand almost immediately. Grigor and Roger keep their left hands on the racket much longer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU1gXakakm0-Grigor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ImeQaAyFPc-Roger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFW7lf6Yo_M-Marat

darthpwner
05-22-2010, 08:53 PM
dimitrov has nice strokes but i dont think he has roger's footwork which is the most important characteristic of federer. federer's movement is why he is arguably the GOAT. his movement makes all his shots possible.

Dimitrov's weakness is probably his movement. It looks rather clunky. Federer looks effortless, and that's the result of his incredible footwork.

aceX
05-22-2010, 08:57 PM
I think the next number one in order of likelihood:
1. Djokovic
2. Murray
3. Del Potro

gold soundz
05-22-2010, 08:58 PM
Ok I watched a couple more videos of Dimitrov (including this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMg_OARAd-Y&feature=related) and I think his forehand is a combo of Safin's and Fed's. I dont think his game is anywhere near as smooth or beatiful as Fed's or Sampras' though.

gold soundz
05-22-2010, 08:59 PM
I think the next number one in order of likelihood:
1. Djokovic
2. Murray
3. Del Potro

What makes you think Djokovic will get to number one whilst Federer and Nadal are around? He's very inconsistent.

aceX
05-22-2010, 09:08 PM
What makes you think Djokovic will get to number one whilst Federer and Nadal are around? He's very inconsistent.

I don't think anyone else will topple those two while they're still at their peak

gold soundz
05-22-2010, 09:11 PM
I don't think anyone else will topple those two while they're still at their peak

I think that if someone were to topple Nadal and Federer for #1, it would be Del Potro. But if he doesn't, and by the time they're gone I think Djokovic will be way past his prime.

aceX
05-22-2010, 10:14 PM
That's a lot of W's in your signature.

Not as many Ws as Federer :lol:

aceX
05-22-2010, 10:16 PM
Federer is better than Nadal

:wink: :wink:

Scientist
05-22-2010, 10:27 PM
Not as many Ws as Federer :lol:

Seriously though your comments are messing up my screen:shock:

aceX
05-22-2010, 11:22 PM
Seriously though your comments are messing up my screen:shock:

I dunno, blame whoever coded the forum

Rhino
05-23-2010, 12:04 AM
Djokovic is the best bet here.

aceX
06-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Djokovic is the best bet here.

I feel a bit bad for Djokovic being at the #3 spot for so long.

PSNELKE
06-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Canīt laugh enough about people voting for Enests Gulbis as the next NO.1

aceX
06-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Canīt laugh enough about people voting for Enests Gulbis as the next NO.1

eheheheheh

Skabeast121
06-11-2010, 06:46 PM
My vote goes to Murray. Great hardcourt, solid grass courter, weak but not terrible on clay (R16 and QF @ RG isnt terrible). Although I wish Kei Nishikori could do it, seems kinda doubtful.

Gulbis I believe has to potential to be the future #1 and a slam winner...but thats only potential the results will be vastly different

jukka1970
06-11-2010, 06:55 PM
I voted for Del Potro, I think he has the weapons and the drive to be able to eventually get to number 1. Of course a lot will hinge on injury prevention, but I think he's got the best shot.

Djokovic to me, almost had his time and has faded away. I don't see him staying solid enough, and as for Murray, he's all but faded away.

Jukka

PSNELKE
06-11-2010, 07:00 PM
My vote goes to Murray. Great hardcourt, solid grass courter, weak but not terrible on clay (R16 and QF @ RG isnt terrible). Although I wish Kei Nishikori could do it, seems kinda doubtful.

Gulbis I believe has to potential to be the future #1 and a slam winner...but thats only potential the results will be vastly different

I think Delpo and Murray are the best contenders.

I wish Nishikori was a few inches taller :)

Of course Gulbis has the potential but potential isnīt all..

Skabeast121
06-11-2010, 08:28 PM
I think Delpo and Murray are the best contenders.

I wish Nishikori was a few inches taller :)

Of course Gulbis has the potential but potential isnīt all..

Yeah Nishikori :( how much I would love to see him hold a slam trouphy.

As for Gulbis, I thought tennis would never see a bigger underachiever than Safin...but dear god this guy has all the gifts, if only he could put them all together.

Buckethead
06-11-2010, 08:36 PM
This is a no brainer!
Del Potro of course.Had He not had been injured He would be number 2 by now.

Skabeast121
06-11-2010, 08:49 PM
idk delpo can't seem to get past Murray, so that could cause some problems in the slams.

aceX
06-11-2010, 09:37 PM
idk delpo can't seem to get past Murray, so that could cause some problems in the slams.

Federer can't get past Nadal but he still managed to get slams ;)

Netspirit
06-11-2010, 10:02 PM
I voted for Djokovic since he has been quite close this year.

However, I do not think he'll dominate the field. The Fedal era will end one day, leaving the top 1-2 spots up for grabs.

The popularity of tennis will suffer a major blow initially - much like Formula 1 after Schumacher's retirement. But things will work themselves out, and Djokovic will be replaced by some future champion currently in the making.

seffina
06-12-2010, 08:31 AM
Even though he's my least favorite from the bunch, the answer has to be Del Potro. He has the right physical and mental tools to challenge an aging Roger and Rafa.

ScoopsHaaganDazs
06-12-2010, 09:44 AM
I vote Gulbis. If Gulbis does become number one, it'll be for less than a month. I think Gulbis is a lot like Safin. Lots of potential but not consistent enough.

PSNELKE
06-12-2010, 10:01 AM
I vote Gulbis. If Gulbis does become number one, it'll be for less than a month. I think Gulbis is a lot like Safin. Lots of potential but not consistent enough.

But hell reach the no1. spot?
Ridiculous.

Skabeast121
06-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Federer can't get past Nadal but he still managed to get slams ;)

True but I mean at least Federer has beaten Nadal. Delpo beat Murray once on clay after Murray blew a 5-1 lead in the 1st set. But Delpo is a solid contender its a coin toss between him and Murray...as much as I dont like Del Potro

aceX
06-15-2010, 06:00 PM
True but I mean at least Federer has beaten Nadal. Delpo beat Murray once on clay after Murray blew a 5-1 lead in the 1st set. But Delpo is a solid contender its a coin toss between him and Murray...as much as I dont like Del Potro

What's your issue with DelPo?