PDA

View Full Version : Silicone in the Head???

Pleepers
05-19-2010, 08:58 AM
Just a question for all those pro stringers or racquet customizers (or any one who actually knows): do any of pros put silicone in the head of the racquet as a means to weigh it down instead of lead? Just curious. Thanks!

bsandy
05-19-2010, 09:50 AM
I've never heard of this. There's A LOT that could go wrong.

Blocking holes. Making grommets permanent. Exact amount.

. . . Bud

Pleepers
05-19-2010, 12:50 PM
I've never heard of this. There's A LOT that could go wrong.

Blocking holes. Making grommets permanent. Exact amount.

. . . Bud

I think using the exact amount is not too hard (just weigh the silicone on a scale and inject it with a syringe). Blocking holes could be bypassed by putting the racquet on its side when injecting. I wonder about if the silicone would stay in position at 3' and 9' after it dries or if it would brake over time?

I guess I'm asking because from my understanding not only is: weight, balance, and swingweight important--but also weight location. And because so many pro's racquets do not have any visible lead tape on their racquets, are we to assume that the majority of lead is hidden under the bumper guard and handle and that's it? Placing weight at 3' and 9' are pretty important locations for stability. So basically, I'm wondering if pros are stabilizing their racquets at these locations by other means i.e. silicone? This way their racquets look stock?

bsandy
05-19-2010, 01:14 PM
These are Roger's racquets. Weight position is important, but not as exact as a lot would like to think.

. . . Bud

http://www.p1tennis.com/files/images/DSC01443.JPG

Doubles
05-19-2010, 01:28 PM
These are Roger's racquets. Weight position is important, but not as exact as a lot would like to think.

. . . Bud

Keep in mind that Wilson's Quality Control is crap. It could be to correct the mismatched balances...

bsandy
05-19-2010, 01:49 PM
I have two YouTEK Prestige Pros that were .4oz (11gms) different.

Nobody's perfect. Chinese Quality Control.

Don't Let It Bounce
05-19-2010, 02:42 PM
The TT poster Travlerajm has apparently put silicone in the hoops of a Tour Diablo and a Prince Graphite Longbody, and has talked about it in several threads.

AJK1
05-19-2010, 04:20 PM
The stringer at my club cut open the heads of a couple of racquets that were smashed in a tournament recently, one was a K90 and the other was a nPro Open. The K90 head was solid throughout, the other was hollow.
It seems the constant beam players racquets are solid, and the widebodies are hollow, different designs but equally effective.

Pleepers
05-19-2010, 04:40 PM
The TT poster Travlerajm has apparently put silicone in the hoops of a Tour Diablo and a Prince Graphite Longbody, and has talked about it in several threads.

I'll look into this. Thanks! :)

Pleepers
05-19-2010, 04:55 PM
Here we go:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=314559

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=313801

vsbabolat
05-19-2010, 07:05 PM
The stringer at my club cut open the heads of a couple of racquets that were smashed in a tournament recently, one was a K90 and the other was a nPro Open. The K90 head was solid throughout, the other was hollow.
It seems the constant beam players racquets are solid, and the widebodies are hollow, different designs but equally effective.

That is not true. For example he HEAD Prestige, Radical, and others are all hollow. There are many more constant beam racquets that are hollow and not foam injected like the K90. The K90 was foam that was injected by Wilson's OEM during manufacture.

ivo
05-20-2010, 12:08 AM
I have heard that Fischer used silicone in racquet's head for their pro players...

You probably will not find any picture of Fischer racquet (customized by Fischer pro room) with lead under bumper ( which has holes and any lead would be easily visible)

But you can clearly see lead under this bumper on Pacific, Tecnifibre ( still the same Fischer mold) frames even if they are used by same players as previous Fischer, because they customize pro racquets other way than Fischer.

RJYU
05-20-2010, 01:09 AM
Sure, you can put silicone in the head of a frame. The reason why its not done very often is that its a bit more time consuming to do it properly, so in almost all cases, its easier to just use lead tape. One of the main reasons that I used to do it was when a racquet had individual grommets. There was no bumperguard to put the lead under, so I'd just use silicone. Now almost all racquets have bumperguards, so its not an issue any longer.

JT_2eighty
05-20-2010, 02:07 PM
Keep in mind that Wilson's Quality Control is crap. It could be to correct the mismatched balances...

I think that is much more the reason why you see differing amounts of lead, because I doubt Federer was like, "yea this is my ballpark specs I'd like, here's your $10k customization fee, thx"

Doubles
05-21-2010, 05:25 AM
I think that is much more the reason why you see differing amounts of lead, because I doubt Federer was like, "yea this is my ballpark specs I'd like, here's your $10k customization fee, thx"

Yeah. I get the feeling that those guys would be a little more precise with their customizing than using ballpark specs...

mishin900
05-21-2010, 07:13 AM

. . . Bud

roger's rackets have lead tapes??

JoelDali
05-21-2010, 07:33 AM
roger's rackets have lead tapes??

OMG is this a new development?

:)

This pic has been dissected and discussed like 3500 times.

mishin900
05-21-2010, 07:37 AM
OMG is this a new development?

:)

This pic has been dissected and discussed like 3500 times.

haha i haven't been checking talk tennis for a while
is there a thread dedicated to this picture? link would be appreciated :)

JoelDali
05-21-2010, 07:39 AM
Its not lead, its platinum gold plated GOAT sleeves.