PDA

View Full Version : need a new baseline racket for clay

spanish fly
05-14-2005, 04:30 AM
hey,
as mentioned in the title, i need a new baseline stick. basically my whole game consists of powerful strokes, it's an aggressive type of game i'd say....
i only move to the net if it's really necessary to make the point!
i have been playin tennis constantly for 13 years now and i am an instructor with a licence.

any suggestions on a racket????

thx in advance

rulik
05-14-2005, 09:07 PM
I haven't been playing tennis for so long but more than a half of yours. If you use 1HBH you can try ncode 90' then experiment which strings and tension will be better for you. The racquet is not perfect but it has everything what needed. I couln't find better racquet on the market.

My set up is ncode 90'/Gosen OG Sheep Micro 16'/58lb

SC in MA
05-15-2005, 05:54 AM
I found the nCode61 95 (16x18) to be an excellent clay court racket, as well as an excellent all-court singles racket. It has a good combination of power/mass/manuverability/control/spin. It hits great groundstrokes and serves (and volleys as well). On clay, I add a just a little bit of lead at the 3 & 9 PWS to make groundstrokes a little bit heavier.

In the past, I tried the 2001 version of the Bab. Pure Control (the heavier one) for about 6 months. Groundstrokes had a bit more on them than the n61, but it wasn't as good on stretch shots. Overall, I play better with the n61, so that's what I use as my main clay court racket.

deflori
05-15-2005, 06:03 AM
head flexpoint tour
prince o3 tour
head instinct/tour
babolat pure storm

All of them are great for the Baseline

safin_protege
05-15-2005, 07:56 AM
Any type of Head Prestige or Wilson Tour 90 racquets are great from the baseline, but the new Prince O3 tour is supposed to be exceptional for clay...great spin, control, and decent power.

Rafa Nadal
05-15-2005, 08:28 AM
Babolat Aeropro Drive, when you hit with Spin its great very great from the Baseline

SC in MA
05-15-2005, 11:02 AM
Babolat Aeropro Drive, when you hit with Spin its great very great from the BaselineI like the way the AeroPro Drive plays, however, for me the stock AeroPro Drive does not have enough mass (too light) for sustained baseline rallies. Too much cumulative ball impact on the arm. I'm experimenting with added weight, but I haven't found a setup I've liked yet. For now, when its match time, I go with the n61 95.

friedalo1
05-15-2005, 01:38 PM
Head liquid mental instinct.

diredesire
05-15-2005, 02:27 PM
POG OS, best baseliner stick ever, IMO.

TennisMD
05-15-2005, 04:33 PM
At present it is a toss up between the N code 6.1 95 open string pattern and a modified Aeroprodrive weighing 12.2 oz keeping the rkt head light.
SC, we seem to have a similar taste in rkts, let me know how your experiment with the Slaz X1 goes. Played the old black and white slz probraided few yrs ago and liked it for S and V a little stiff however.

SC in MA
05-18-2005, 07:43 AM
At present it is a toss up between the N code 6.1 95 open string pattern and a modified Aeroprodrive weighing 12.2 oz keeping the rkt head light.
SC, we seem to have a similar taste in rkts, let me know how your experiment with the Slaz X1 goes. Played the old black and white slz probraided few yrs ago and liked it for S and V a little stiff however.TennisMD: I had a chance to play a long set on clay using the Slaz X1 against a very good player. I liked the manuverability and ease of serving with the X1, however, as the set wore on, I found the X1 didn't have the mass for me to keep the ball consistently deep. After the first set, we only had a chance to play 4 games. I switched to the n61 and found that my serves had more pop and more importantly, I was able to hit the ball deeper with more power. I definitely played at a higher level with the n61.

My AeroPro Drive experiment is not going well at all. I tried adding 2 grams at the 3 and 9 (4 grams total) and 8 grams along the handle under the grip. It seemed like it swung heavy and lacked pop. I didn't like it at all. Maybe I should have added some weight at 12 to counter the added handle weight. Instead I took the weight off the handle. It was better than with the weight in the handle, but I still didn't like the way it played. I think I'm going to take some of the weight off the 3 & 9 and see if I can get it to the point that I like the way it plays again. I also just strung it with NRG2 17g at 56lbs. I'm hoping that this string at a lower tension will help absorb more of the ball impact, which is my major complaint with this racket in its stock form.

andrew_slattery
05-18-2005, 02:16 PM
POG LB - a 'baseliner's dream'.

sandro
05-19-2005, 12:08 AM
You need a suggestion with YOUR skills?
I would say get an heavy, flexy racquet with a medium or high swingweight... c'mon...