PDA

View Full Version : Nadal interview from El Mundo Deportivo

CMM
05-19-2010, 10:53 AM
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/2902/earchivophoto1011201005.jpg

Google translation

How are you facing Roland Garros?
With a lot of serenity. I have been asked about the tournament since the clay season started, but I only think about Roland Garros when , when it's time to dispute it. First I focused on Monte Carlo, then Rome and then in Madrid, without any thought of Paris. I've never been obsessed with a tournament, not Roland Garros.

After four consecutive titles, the loss to Robin Soderling in the issue of tendinitis in the knees in between. Are you returning to Paris in a spirit of revenge?
No, I do not believe in revenge. You have to play with heart and head, and if you let excitement overcome you, and enthusiasm and heart are stronger than head, then something is wrong. Yes, I lost in 2009 but I had already won four times and never felt that Roland Garros was only mine, my possession. I face it like I have always done, trying to enjoy the challenge, acknowledging its difficulty. Losing at Roland Garros is not a failure, but the normal thing. Only one player can win it and all the best are there. I will do everything possible to win it again, but without being obsessed.

Nor have a case pending with the Parisian public from Center court?

No. First, the public has no influence on how and where you're going to hit the ball in the game. Let's not forget that I've already won there four times. Yes, they were a tad hard on me durin the match versus Soderling but that's no problem for me.

This year you have put aside the Conde de Godo tournament. Does this mean you have learned to say 'no'?
Saying 'no' is always difficult, but especially when it's the home tournament, people who have been watching you for weeks. Fortunately, you have people you trust by your side to help you value it all, and this time I decided it was best not to play in Barcelona. I very much appreciate the respect and support of people in the club and the tournament at a very hard time for everyone. Of course, for me it is more difficult having to stay at home than go play a tournament.

A few years ago you wanted to play all the tournaments. Have you changed your mind?

I still want to play it all, but life give you lessons and you can't be at all the tournaments. You have to make decisions that you don't like and dislike. Life is like that.

Did the hard time you experienced last summer influence on that decision?
It is the worst I've lived, and so now the goal is not to reach the two-months stop, and if that happens again, may it happen as another more 'accident', not because you go over the limit. It's true there were also personal problems, but losing in Paris and not to play in Wimbledon was very hard for me. They were hard moments to face, I was in the worst conditions physically and mentally.

What do you remember as the worst of those weeks?
Being at home, to be on the couch so long because I had no choice. There were many hours of recovery of the knees, without touching a racket.

In Monte Carlo there were also tears, but of joy.
That's because you remember all that has happened and you feel at your best, moreover in a tournament as special as Monte Carlo. They're instants of maximum excitement. And a moment very important for me. I knew I was playing well, but not in Indian Wells or Miami I ended up winning the tournament even though it had tennis for it. Everything turned out well in Monte Carlo, I had a good week and had to take advantage of
the opportunity.

You were very tense against Ljubicic and Roddick in the semifinals at Indian Wells and Miami. Did the anxiety get the better of you after so long without winning a competition?
I was very nervous, and when there's nerves, there's also a bit of bad luck. They were difficult times, perhaps a little less in Miami against Roddick, but you must overcome them to work everyday.
You must create opportunities to overcome those times in order to get to victory.
If I had not create those chances in Miami, they wouldn't have come Monte Carlo.
I was aware that I could have won those two tournaments, and that allowed me to withstand the pull. Those are positive messages that are seeping in, which is going to help. I knew I was ready to win from the start of the year, that if I continued like that, my chance would come, sooner or later.
So it happened in Monte Carlo. I spent worst moments late last year. Yes, I did semifinals in Shanghai or Paris-Bercy, but only received negative messages, I felt light years ahead of the level needed to fight against other top players.

After Monte Carlo title followed in Rome and Madrid, are already won 15 consecutive games.
When you win it's easier to keep winning, even knowing that anything can happen when you're competing with the best.

Much has been said about you, but Djokovic and Murray seem to be in crisis.
They are great players, and will continue up. But tennis is very complicated, very difficult to stay up there, having to come every week to the semifinals or final is a brutal physical and mental exhaustion, and we all end up paying in some way. I'm fine now, especially mentally, looking forward, and from the top players I'm the one playing well right now. We must maintain this pace.

Del Potro and Davydenko have been low for several months. Illustrious veterans like his friend Moya, Nalbandian and Hewitt have gone under the knife, and they're having a hard time with injuries. What's happening?

That's because the season is very long, from 1 January to 6 December. And for years I've been thinking that elite sport is not healthy.

What is your limit?

I'll play until I feel like playing and while I keep the expectation and have the conditions to win tournaments. You want to suffer to enjoy, not suffer for suffering. I like to suffer to improve myself, to maintain the ambition to be better every day. My personal satisfaction is not to win in Monte Carlo, for example, but I've been able to improve myself, to leave behind a difficult stage. If one day there's not suffering or capacity to overcome suffering that make feel truly complete, that'll be the end. No problem, because life has other things, not just tennis.

Have we seen the best Nadal?
I always want to improve, and 23 years old (turns 24 on June 3) there is room for further progress. I do not know what Nadal has been the best in a tennis court. What I do know is that I have a whole season playing well, and I think the week in Monte Carlo was the most complete in my life.

You changed of racquet, especially the strings. Was it an important factor?
Yes, it has contributed, it was a change quite favorable. The racket releases more, it helps me in the variety of shots, effects. I feel very comfortable with it.

It would cost a lot to do this change because of the meticulous person you are ...
I am not too obsessive or too meticulous, but it's better not change the things that go well. So I tend to be reluctant to major changes. One thing for sure is that, when I change something, I change it for real, I am not among the doubters. I decided to change strings, so I didn't carry any old equipment to Australia, I decided to play with the new racquet no matter if I play good or bad, I adapted my game to it anyways.

Your uncle Toni said you don't serve better because you are right handed. Will you attempt to serve with your right hand?
No, no, never. It's quite logical, because I have more feeling in my right hand. If I throw a stone or a ball, I do it better with the right than the left. But I am left handed for tennis.

We did not know there was an artistic vein in Nadals: You sharing a video with Shakira and your uncle Miguel Angel dancing on television.
My uncle is an artist himself, and the truth is that in dancing he has improved a lot (laughs loudly). And about Shakira clip it was an experience that not everyone can live, and I am very grateful that she thought of me. To know different things, such a different world is important and rewarding.

Was there jokes in the locker room?
The usual. But it was worth, I spent a great time. It was a long shooting, but Shakira was very nice with me, helped me a lot, made me feel at ease.

Are you happy?
Yes, I am.

I ask because I read your statements in an Italian newspaper in which you said "I'm happier than people think."
I do not think I actually said it like that because I feel very fortunate a life. With 23 years I have what I want and more. Tennis speaking I have won more than I could have ever and at family level everything is perfect once the difficult time passed (the separation of his parents). Now we are all fine, and that makes me very happy. I'm happy with what I have, which is a lot at all levels.

Imagine that we are at December 31, 2010. What would make you feel satisfied?
I would feel satisfied with having health throughout the year.

Do you listen to your body?
I've always listened, however, it's very difficult to know if you can go further or not during the match, you're focused on tennis, on getting ahead in a match.

Are you still enduring pain?
All elite athletes endure pain, and I am no exception. Yes I learned that there are limits to which it is best not to reach or exceed.

http://www.elmundodeportivo.es/gen/20100519/53929738082/noticia/nadal-a-corazon-abierto.html

*Yes, babbette, I remember what I asked you, but this one doesn't seem to have anything that could fire things up.

Nadalfan89
05-19-2010, 11:02 AM
He truly is an amazing human being.

bolo
05-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Great interview. :) He must have unreal touch with his right hand.

The-Champ
05-19-2010, 11:03 AM
How arrogant of Nadal to be interviewed by journalists.

cknobman
05-19-2010, 11:16 AM
"You changed of racquet, especially the strings. Was it an important factor?
Yes, it has contributed, it was a change quite favorable. The racket releases more, it helps me in the variety of shots, effects. I feel very comfortable with it.

It would cost a lot to do this change because of the meticulous person you are ...
I am not too obsessive or too meticulous, but it's better not change the things that go well. So I tend to be reluctant to major changes. One thing for sure is that, when I change something, I change it for real, I am not among the doubters. I decided to change strings, so I didn't carry any old equipment to Australia, I decided to play with the new racquet no matter if I play good or bad, I adapted my game to it anyways."

Nadal changed racquets? I knew about the strings but never heard anything about a racquet change (at least in the last several years). Anyone have any info on that?

bolo
05-19-2010, 11:17 AM
"You changed of racquet, especially the strings. Was it an important factor?

I am not too obsessive or too meticulous, but it's better not change the things that go well. So I tend to be reluctant to major changes. One thing for sure is that, when I change something, I change it for real, I am not among the doubters. I decided to change strings, so I didn't carry any old equipment to Australia, I decided to play with the new racquet no matter if I play good or bad, I adapted my game to it anyways."

Nadal changed racquets? I knew about the strings but never heard anything about a racquet change (at least in the last several years). Anyone have any info on that?

I got the impression he was using strings and racquet loosely. I think just strings.

bizarre_opinion
05-19-2010, 11:24 AM
what a gay interview. The guy never defended his wimbledon title because of his physical and mental condition, but decided to play 2 exo's few day's before wimby. Come on give me a break. The guy's a first class bullsh*tt*r.

Nadalfan89
05-19-2010, 11:32 AM
what a gay interview. The guy never defended his wimbledon title because of his physical and mental condition, but decided to play 2 exo's few day's before wimby. Come on give me a break. The guy's a first class bullsh*tt*r.

You're just mad because Murray is a slamless pusher who will never amount to anything.

Cesc Fabregas
05-19-2010, 11:35 AM
Great interview. :) He must have unreal touch with his right hand.

Good point. Considering the racquet head control and touch he has with his left hand it just goes to show how talented he is.

bizarre_opinion
05-19-2010, 11:41 AM
You're just mad because Murray is a slamless pusher who will never amount to anything.

i understand that your nadal's left testicle, but you shouldn't assume i like murray just because i'm from the UK. Also, if i remember correctly, wasn't it murray who pushed the f*ck out of the buttbag so bad he quit in the 3rd set of the aussie open?

Hitman
05-19-2010, 11:45 AM
Great interview! I really enjoyed reading that.

I'm sure he'll be reclaiming the FO this year at least.

Mustard
05-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Great interview :)

angiebaby
05-19-2010, 12:06 PM
Yeah,'twas a good read. :) Thanks for posting CMM.

feetofclay
05-19-2010, 12:16 PM
Great interview.Thanks for posting.

Daized
05-19-2010, 12:36 PM
I don't dislike Nadal. In fact I think he adds a lot of entertainment to our sport.

But the guy flat out lies to himself and the reporters constantly in his interviews. I do not believe that he would just be satisfied without winning any of the grand slams this year.

But I guess that's what a lot of the tennis players do in the eyes of the public. I want to actually see players say they want to win the slam, want to aim for #1. Kind of like Djokovic used to be like, but a little toned down to not be rude.

Riosfan
05-19-2010, 12:38 PM
Superb read, thanks for posting it. There is no reason anyone should dislike this true champion in acts, words and performance.

DRII
05-19-2010, 12:46 PM
I don't dislike Nadal. In fact I think he adds a lot of entertainment to our sport.

But the guy flat out lies to himself and the reporters constantly in his interviews. I do not believe that he would just be satisfied without winning any of the grand slams this year.

But I guess that's what a lot of the tennis players do in the eyes of the public. I want to actually see players say they want to win the slam, want to aim for #1. Kind of like Djokovic used to be like, but a little toned down to not be rude.

I think nadal is genuinely humble and i believe what he says. He has great character.

kournacopia
05-19-2010, 01:17 PM
Nadal is a good actor.

cucio
05-19-2010, 01:25 PM
Nadal is a good actor.

Obviously you haven't seen the Shakira video. :oops:

hoodjem
05-19-2010, 01:27 PM
A few years ago you wanted to play all the tournaments. Have you changed your mind?

"I still want to play it all, but life give you lessons and you can't be at all the tournaments. You have to make decisions that you don't like and dislike. Life is like that."

Wow! Sounds like maturity and wisdom.

bolo
05-19-2010, 01:36 PM
"I do not know what Nadal has been the best in a tennis court".

oh we know it's the summer and fall 2008 nadal. Get back there! :)

jigar
05-19-2010, 02:05 PM
He should start serving right handed from duece side and left handed from ad court.
This will give guys a fits.

bolo
05-19-2010, 02:09 PM
He should start serving right handed from duece side and left handed from ad court.
This will give guys a fits.

lol. You know there is going to be a match before his career ends where he will be able to hit groundstrokes but not serve. He is going to win that match serving right handed and the legend will continue to grow. :)

The-Champ
05-19-2010, 03:16 PM
Nadal is a good actor.

hello bruce!!

illuminati
05-19-2010, 05:27 PM
i understand that your nadal's left testicle, but you shouldn't assume i like murray just because i'm from the UK. Also, if i remember correctly, wasn't it murray who pushed the f*ck out of the buttbag so bad he quit in the 3rd set of the aussie open?

how many slams has golliwog won?

Outbeyond
05-19-2010, 05:40 PM
Really appreciated you posting this interview!!! Nadal is simply mature and downright interesting.

cknobman
05-20-2010, 06:42 AM

wow a little harsh ya think???:confused: