PDA

View Full Version : Fedal fans: Would you trade Fed winning RG 10 for Nadal winning USO 10?

kraggy
05-19-2010, 04:47 PM
Lets say you had the power to trade Fed beating Nadal at RG 10 for Nadal beating Fed at USO 10. Would you take this this trade as a Nadal or Fed fan?

My 2 cents

From Fed's perspective:

Winning another FO will make his slam tally even more balanced and will establish him as one of the greatest clay courters around. I guess sometimes Fed does not get his due as a claycourter but I suspect that would change with this victory. Losing the USO I feel would not really affect Fed that much. He is already the greatest hardcourter around and given that his USO streak was broken last yr anyway, its not really bad to lose another USO.

From Nadal's perspective:

Winning a USO would be huge for Nadal in showing him to be an all-round champion. People have criticized his ability on fast hard courts and this victory would certainly help silence some of the criticism. On the other hand, Nadal may never have a chance to break the slam record, but he has an opportunity to go down as the greatest claycourter that ever lived. For that to happen he needs to win every FO that he can while he's playing great tennis. Right now he needs 3 more to beat Borgs record and I think Nadal may not be the clay force that he is 3 yrs from now.

vortex1
05-19-2010, 04:48 PM
Yes, definitely. Nadal would become a true legend if he won USO.

Pwned
05-19-2010, 04:51 PM
Of course. That would add a ton of excitement to the game, especially if they were both epic finals.

Nadalfan89
05-19-2010, 04:55 PM
Nadal doesn't need another FO, and he really needs USO. I'd make the trade in a second.

illuminati
05-19-2010, 05:15 PM
this is such an irrelevant topic.
i dont care about trades.

as a rafa fan my perfect ending to rafas career is if he won 3 aussie opens, 3 wimbledons and 3 US opens and 7 french opens to beat borgs clay record and finish ranked year end number 1 three times and total slam tally of 16.

if he did that which will then enter him into the top tier of all time great players which include federer, sampras, laver, emerson and borg.

if he enters that top tier, then i will consider it an incredible achievement for rafa.

illuminati
05-19-2010, 05:21 PM
Nadal doesn't need another FO, and he really needs USO. I'd make the trade in a second.

WTF dont need another FO???
he needs the french open to beat borgs record and become clay GOAT.

vortex1
05-19-2010, 05:22 PM
WTF dont need another FO???
he needs the french open to beat borgs record and become clay GOAT.

slams on all surfaces > Borg's record

Borg could never win USO, I'd like Nadal to win one.

Chadwixx
05-19-2010, 05:38 PM
Borg didnt win the AO either did he?

dmt
05-19-2010, 05:47 PM
Borg only played at the ao once. AO was played on grass and since Borg won 5 wimbledon's, there's little doubt that he would have dominated aussie open.

egn
05-19-2010, 06:42 PM
wrong thread.

inthemisosoup
05-19-2010, 06:45 PM
i would rather see something in the next year or so like fed d rafa at FO & rafa d fed at USO, both in 5 set classics. that'd be fun. it won't happen, but it'd be fun.

Ambivalent
05-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Federer would probably agree, but Nadal is so competitive that he would play to the death (of his knees) for both. Also he knows that he will have a chance at the USO when Fed is about 30 years old.

OKUSA
05-19-2010, 06:59 PM
slams on all surfaces > Borg's record

Borg could never win USO, I'd like Nadal to win one.

i'd rather have 5 consecutive RG and wimbledon wins over 1 aussie 4 rg and 1 wimbledon to be honest.

Radobg
05-19-2010, 07:34 PM
I agree!!I will be very happy for both of them if they can win those titles!!A little bit more happy for Rafa actually...

Chezbeeno
05-19-2010, 07:48 PM
yes, if Federer beats Nadal at RG and loses to someone other than Rafa at the US, then the head-to-head crap will stop and Fed's victory last year will be proved as not a fluke

sh@de
05-19-2010, 07:55 PM
I would I think... it'd be really really exciting I think.

Except I clicked the wrong poll option -_-" Sorry!

billnepill
05-19-2010, 08:03 PM
Federer would love such a deal. Especially since RG is first and Rafa never made US Open final.

kournacopia
05-19-2010, 08:04 PM
Fed doesn't need anything, he has it all. Useless trade for him.

Sentinel
05-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Yes, that would give Rafa a career slam.

timnz
05-19-2010, 09:23 PM
Borg only played at the ao once. AO was played on grass and since Borg won 5 wimbledon's, there's little doubt that he would have dominated aussie open.

And the one time Borg did play - he was 16 years old (remember in 1973 Australian Open was in January - Borg didn't turn 17 until June that year). Hardly at his peak.

cknobman
05-20-2010, 06:00 AM
Of course. That would add a ton of excitement to the game, especially if they were both epic finals.

I agree with you 100%

kishnabe
05-20-2010, 06:55 AM
Federer win over Nadal in RG 2010 will make people who thought it was a fluke in 09 to be wronged. Consider How Rafa manhandled the whole clay season pre-rg. Defintly a good trade if Nadal won the US open 2010 in 5 sets. Sad thing Federer had not losed to Delpo, Nadal would be the only man to give Federer his First Runner up trophies at each slam....That would awesome recored to have.

TheNatural
05-20-2010, 07:03 AM
Fed would trade 3 or 4 of his US Opens for the London 2012 singles Olympic Gold. Fed will become a true legend if he can win that elusive singles Gold.

Sentinel
05-20-2010, 07:22 AM
Fed would trade 3 or 4 of his US Opens for the London 2012 singles Olympic Gold. Fed will become a true legend if he can win that elusive singles Gold.
Sorry !!!! Tennis at the Olympics is no big deal. This is not athletics for example where people dream of an Olympic gold from childhood.

And in any case, when was tennis introduced into the O's ? 1988 - I see.

TheNatural
05-20-2010, 09:52 AM
Sorry !!!! Tennis at the Olympics is no big deal. This is not athletics for example where people dream of an Olympic gold from childhood.

Don't kid yourself, its a huge deal, and Fed himself helped to make it a huge deal by trying his heart out at 3 Olympics so far. Fed would kill to win the singles Olympic Gold at London on the Wimbledon grass courts!Maybe it will be 4th time lucky!

RCizzle65
05-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Don't kid yourself, its a huge deal, and Fed himself helped to make it a huge deal by trying his heart out at 3 Olympics so far. Fed would kill to win the singles Olympic Gold at London on the Wimbledon grass courts!Maybe it will be 4th time lucky!

He may want it, yes, but it's not big enough to trade a slam for, let alone 3 or 4

Gorecki
05-20-2010, 10:53 AM

as a rafa fan my perfect ending to rafas career is if he won 3 aussie opens, 3 wimbledons and 3 US opens and 7 french opens to beat borgs clay record and finish ranked year end number 1 three times and total slam tally of 16.

if he did that which will then enter him into the top tier of all time great players which include federer, sampras, laver, emerson and borg.

if he enters that top tier, then i will consider it an incredible achievement for rafa.

i would only be satisfied if he would also win the eurosong festivel twice and find the cure for Malaria, while achieving world peace thru atomic weaponry dismantling...

Gorecki
05-20-2010, 10:57 AM

no. i would expect a lot better from you... at least a decent google work!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Olympic_medalists_in_tennis

P_Agony
05-20-2010, 11:59 AM
Nah, I would rather have Fed winning the USO. It's my favorite slam to watch along with AO.

P_Agony
05-20-2010, 12:00 PM

Not a chance, I don't think he'd trade even one slam for that. Slams are greater than the Olympic gold.

NikeAir565
05-20-2010, 12:34 PM
Fed winning two back to back French Opens would be good, especially if it was against Nadal.

veroniquem
05-20-2010, 01:45 PM
I would definitely not trade anything. I want him to win both and I'm sure he can.

davey25
05-20-2010, 01:46 PM
I am a fan of neither player (Nadal I am neutral on and Federer I plain dont like) and neither one will happen.

TheLoneWolf
05-20-2010, 01:51 PM
I know this answer might seem weird, but stick with me for a while.

I honestly don't care too much about any wins that Rafa is going to achieve in the future. Of course, I would be extremely happy if he achieved much more. By "not caring too much" I mean that even if he doesn't win a Slam again, it won't be a tragedy. Rafa has already proven tenfold that he is a champion with an unmatched fighting spirit (amongst his contemporaries anyway,) and a humble character. His spectacular game, his almost utter domination of 2008, his H2H against someone people often call "the GOAT," are also very admirable feats.

I guess my point is that even if Rafa's knees blow up tomorrow and he doesn't ever win any Slam again, his achievements are undeniable, and he will always be in my mind the true champion. Anything that he achieves from this point on is gravy on top. :)

By the way, I'd give my left hand to avoid Rafa's knees blowing up tomorrow. What I mean by "not caring," again, is that he doesn't have anything left to prove to me.

THUNDERVOLLEY
05-20-2010, 02:08 PM
I would nor trade; I want the results to fall where they will, and at present, Federer's chances of winning the FO are slim if he faces Nadal (his most likely opponent in the final), so why dream of another outcome?

Rippy
05-20-2010, 02:14 PM

Of course he wants to win it, but he wouldn't trade 3 US Opens for it - that's just ridiculous!

davey25
05-20-2010, 02:19 PM
Not a chance, I don't think he'd trade even one slam for that. Slams are greater than the Olympic gold.

Masters events are bigger than the Olympic Gold. The Olympic Golds value in tennis is right on par with the ATP ranking points awarded. Beneath a Masters and above a 500 event. Nicolas Massu is a 2 time Olympic Champion.

Augustus
05-20-2010, 02:24 PM
Masters events are bigger than the Olympic Gold. The Olympic Golds value in tennis is right on par with the ATP ranking points awarded. Beneath a Masters and above a 500 event. Nicolas Massu is a 2 time Olympic Champion.

I disagree. While a slam certainly means more than the Olympic Gold in tennis, I think to most players a medal from the most prestigious sports event is more special than a MS title. The fact that more top players are taking the Olympics seriously nowadays adds to that as well.

JoshDragon
05-20-2010, 02:27 PM
Federer win over Nadal in RG 2010 will make people who thought it was a fluke in 09 to be wronged. Consider How Rafa manhandled the whole clay season pre-rg. Defintly a good trade if Nadal won the US open 2010 in 5 sets. Sad thing Federer had not losed to Delpo, Nadal would be the only man to give Federer his First Runner up trophies at each slam....That would awesome recored to have.

No, there would be some excuse, like Rafa was too tired from Madrid to win Roland Garros and that Federer couldn't beat him at his best on clay.

veroniquem
05-20-2010, 03:21 PM
What excuse? In 2009, Madrid/Hamburg's final was the 4th final in 5 weeks for Rafa. That's not an excuse that's a fact (check the calendar if you have any doubts). Comparatively, Madrid final this year was only the 3rd for Fed in the whole of 2010.

sh@de
05-20-2010, 06:26 PM

LOL THREE OR FOUR US OPENS?

HAHAHAHAHAHHAAH

I have... literally, nothing at all, to say to that.

Sentinel
05-20-2010, 08:21 PM
no. i would expect a lot better from you... at least a decent google work!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Olympic_medalists_in_tennis
From your link:

It was reinstated as a medal sport in 1988 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_Summer_Olympics).

So where was i wrong ???

AJK1
05-20-2010, 08:36 PM
Lets say you had the power to trade Fed beating Nadal at RG 10 for Nadal beating Fed at USO 10. Would you take this this trade as a Nadal or Fed fan?

My 2 cents

From Fed's perspective:

Winning another FO will make his slam tally even more balanced and will establish him as one of the greatest clay courters around. I guess sometimes Fed does not get his due as a claycourter but I suspect that would change with this victory. Losing the USO I feel would not really affect Fed that much. He is already the greatest hardcourter around and given that his USO streak was broken last yr anyway, its not really bad to lose another USO.

From Nadal's perspective:

Winning a USO would be huge for Nadal in showing him to be an all-round champion. People have criticized his ability on fast hard courts and this victory would certainly help silence some of the criticism. On the other hand, Nadal may never have a chance to break the slam record, but he has an opportunity to go down as the greatest claycourter that ever lived. For that to happen he needs to win every FO that he can while he's playing great tennis. Right now he needs 3 more to beat Borgs record and I think Nadal may not be the clay force that he is 3 yrs from now.

Huh???????

ruerooo
05-20-2010, 09:15 PM
First, thank you for making a thread for FEDAL fans! :-D

Second, after some thought, I think I would trade, if I could be sure Rafa would win the USO.
Roger could defend his title --which I think matters more to him than some people think -- and Rafa could have his Career Golden Slam.

mandy01
05-20-2010, 09:36 PM
No, there would be some excuse, like Rafa was too tired from Madrid to win Roland Garros and that Federer couldn't beat him at his best on clay.Roger isn't winning RG but yes,you're absolutely correct :lol:

Jchurch
05-20-2010, 09:47 PM

Pete would trade 3 or 4 of his Wimbledons for a FO final

zagor
05-21-2010, 12:00 AM
Not really,I'd rather see Fed win USO again,I like fast HC a lot more than clay and Fed did win FO last year which is enough for me.

Gorecki
05-21-2010, 12:19 AM
From your link:

It was reinstated as a medal sport in 1988 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_Summer_Olympics).

So where was i wrong ???

re-instated.... RE.... RE

Sentinel
05-21-2010, 12:27 AM
re-instated.... RE.... RE
okay okay Mr Gorecki :):):) Cool it ! Get under a cold shower, have a chilled beer and relax :p

Dutch-Guy
05-21-2010, 12:30 AM
I want Rafa to win both(and he's capable of doing it).So not trading bull***.

Gorecki
05-21-2010, 12:32 AM
okay okay Mr Gorecki :):) Cool it ! Get under a cold shower, have a chilled beer and relax :p

it's 8:30 in the morning here... i might just take your advice on the beer, since i dont shower... :)

mandy01
05-21-2010, 12:38 AM
it's 8:30 in the morning here... i might just take your advice on the beer, since i dont shower... :)Why not?:cry:

Big_Dangerous
05-21-2010, 12:49 AM

Pretty much right on. Hell I forget who even won the 08 Olympics Singles Gold.

Gorecki
05-21-2010, 01:01 AM
Why not?:cry:

lol....

10 lollypops...

ps: i joke of course...

Speranza
05-21-2010, 01:02 AM

I would definitely not trade anything. I want him to win both and I'm sure he can.

I want Rafa to win both(and he's capable of doing it).So not trading bull***.

Holmes: How interesting Watson....Yet again, I detect the underlying confrontational tone here in a perfectly interesting and calm/non provocative thread. A sort of "not trading a bl@@dy thing, we want our guy to have both, all, everything", attitude.

Watson: Yes, I noticed it too. Odd though isn't it, that all three are Sir Nadal fans....

Holmes: 'Odd' is one word for it ;) Fortunately, not all Rafa fans show a 'rabid dog with a bone' tendencies:

I know this answer might seem weird, but stick with me for a while.

I honestly don't care too much about any wins that Rafa is going to achieve in the future. Of course, I would be extremely happy if he achieved much more. By "not caring too much" I mean that even if he doesn't win a Slam again, it won't be a tragedy. Rafa has already proven tenfold that he is a champion with an unmatched fighting spirit (amongst his contemporaries anyway,) and a humble character. His spectacular game, his almost utter domination of 2008, his H2H against someone people often call "the GOAT," are also very admirable feats.

I guess my point is that even if Rafa's knees blow up tomorrow and he doesn't ever win any Slam again, his achievements are undeniable, and he will always be in my mind the true champion. Anything that he achieves from this point on is gravy on top. :)

By the way, I'd give my left hand to avoid Rafa's knees blowing up tomorrow. What I mean by "not caring," again, is that he doesn't have anything left to prove to me.

Watson: Indeed, the return of The Lone Wolf :) Welcome back. An avid Sir Nadal fan, without the frenzy but rather with his more often than not eloquent writing style.

Holmes: Yes indeed! Oh, and Speranza passes on his apologies TLW, he noticed that it was via a thread he started that resulted in you getting a temporary ban. That wasn't his intention!

Hitman
05-21-2010, 02:22 AM
I think it would be both for both players if that was case. But neither needs it.

seffina
05-21-2010, 03:40 AM
No, I would rather Roger win USO and Rafa win RG. That's how I feel most years.

MichaelNadal
05-21-2010, 04:29 AM
I'd do it. Rafa needs a USO, badly.

Sentinel
05-21-2010, 05:27 AM
Hey Speranza - your Watson Holmes series is funny -- keep it up.

Pretty much right on. Hell I forget who even won the 08 Olympics Singles Gold.
My googling seems to be poor. Was it Blake ? Gonzo ? Gasquet ? Does it even matter ?

darthpwner
05-21-2010, 05:37 AM
I want to see a Fed vs Nadal in the French, Wimbledon, and U.S. Open finals.

Speranza
05-21-2010, 05:46 AM
Hey Speranza - your Watson Holmes series is funny -- keep it up.

My googling seems to be poor. Was it Blake ? Gonzo ? Gasquet ? Does it even matter ?

Watson: Sentinel, I've passed on your message to Speranza, but he seems to find it frustrating that people think this is all fictional, i.e. Holmes and myself :shock: Still, if you are enjoying our participation, all is well that ends well. Speranza is just annoyed that we keep stealing his PC to share our thoughts ;) What's more, we seem to have made more people smile than he ever has on this forum!

Oh, and I do believe the Matador himself won the Olympics single mens Gold medal.

I bid you a courteous farewell.

Sentinel
05-21-2010, 06:22 AM
Watson: Sentinel, I've passed on your message to Speranza, but he seems to find it frustrating that people think this is all fictional, i.e. Holmes and myself :shock: Still, if you are enjoying our participation, all is well that ends well. Speranza is just annoyed that we keep stealing his PC to share our thoughts ;) What's more, we seem to have made more people smile than he ever has on this forum!

Oh, and I do believe the Matador himself won the Olympics single mens Gold medal.

I bid you a courteous farewell.

My apologies, Dr Watson.
I think Speranza should buy you an iPad or at least a laptop so you can post while snooping around. Are you and Mr Holmes fans of Murray, btw ?

hoodjem
05-21-2010, 06:26 AM
TMW will win the Grand Slam this year. So he will take both.

TheNatural
05-21-2010, 06:59 AM
Fed would trade a lot to break his Grand Slam final losing streak v RAFA.The streak could be extended to 4 soon!!

1/ FO 2008
2/ Wimbledon 2008
3/ AO 2009
4/ FO 2010????

JoshDragon
05-21-2010, 10:25 AM
What excuse? In 2009, Madrid/Hamburg's final was the 4th final in 5 weeks for Rafa. That's not an excuse that's a fact (check the calendar if you have any doubts). Comparatively, Madrid final this year was only the 3rd for Fed in the whole of 2010.

Yes but Nadal has won 3 tournaments, over the past month. That would be extremely taxing on anyone's body, especially someone who plays tennis all the time. If he loses at the French I'm sure there will be excuses for it. Just like if Federer loses to Nadal again.

No fan, is going to admit that their favorite player isn't the greatest (at least not willingly.) People are still arguing over who the greatest player of all time is. Whether it's, Federer, Borg, Sampras, or Laver.

TheLoneWolf
05-21-2010, 11:35 AM
I'd do it. Rafa needs a USO, badly.
Rafa doesn't need anything. I'll be happy if he gets as much as he can, but the time for proving things is over. Aged 23 he has beaten the Masters record, and has a 14-7 H2H against "the GOAT." All this spending virtually a year docked because of continuous physical problems. :)

Speranza
05-21-2010, 02:51 PM
=Sentinel;4673440]My apologies, Dr Watson.
I think Speranza should buy you an iPad or at least a laptop so you can post while snooping around. Are you and Mr Holmes fans of Murray, btw ?

Watson: Good advice there Sentinel! Speranza has left a moment ago to purchase a Netbook. He said he refuses to submit to the unnecessary i(don't see the point of a)pad.

As regards Murray, both Holmes and I have warmed to him, although have mostly been critical of him in the past. We appreciate his talent, and have even become accustomed to his rather acerbic manner when talking to the media. However, like the much talked about Matador, it's his on court antics that wrestle our nerves somewhat. However, that is a subjective point. The very mannerisms that Holmes or I wouldn't like may well be the ones that draw him fans in other ways.