PDA

View Full Version : Del Potro and protected ranking questions?

egn
05-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Maybe woodrow can answer this best, but a few other people probably have the answer, but how exactly and what ranking does Del Potro get if he uses the Protected Ranking? Also how many tournaments can he use it for like is there a cap?

Now for another thing if you were Del Po when do you come back? I understand he wants to get back as soon as possible but is there a point in playing the Paris Indoor is my question. Personally I think maybe he should just skip it and spend extra time home rehabbing. Why rush an injury for just one tournament? He won't qualify for the year end and its not a major. Yes master series are important, but I just feel maybe he should use it for extra rehab time, scratch the season and start with a clean slate next season. I like him a lot, that forehand of his is wicked and I would hate to see him rush back to play Paris like he is saying only to injure it for a tournament that really won't get him much in the first place.

Fee
05-19-2010, 07:59 PM
He has to be out for 6 months (which I believe he already has been, or very close to it).

I believe the PR is the average ranking of the 3 weeks after he sustained the injury and stopped playing. He will be allowed to use it for 8 tournaments within 9 months time. As soon as he uses the PR once, the clock starts ticking. The PR is only to get on the entry list, it is not for seeding in the tournament draw. Perhaps Woodrow can correct me on any of those, I'm doing it from memory and I usually get one of the numbers mixed up.

egn
05-20-2010, 09:21 AM
Okay thanks..man that would make things quite interesting next year. Him having to be put in an unseeded spot. Could make for some tough draws for some top players. Hopefully he can win back points quickly and see his way back into the top 20 then and be at least able to be seeded for tournaments.

woodrow1029
05-20-2010, 10:10 AM
To my knowledge, everything Fee said is correct. The only parts I am 100% sure on are that, "He will be allowed to use it for 8 tournaments within 9 months time. As soon as he uses the PR once, the clock starts ticking. The PR is only to get on the entry list, it is not for seeding in the tournament draw."

I am not sure how they calculate the PR though.

djokovicgonzalez2010
05-20-2010, 10:12 AM
I wonder if anyone has the nerve to try and use the PR into the Finals

woodrow1029
05-20-2010, 10:13 AM
I wonder if anyone has the nerve to try and use the PR into the Finals
Into what finals?

r2473
05-20-2010, 10:15 AM
He has to be out for 6 months (which I believe he already has been, or very close to it).

I believe the PR is the average ranking of the 3 weeks after he sustained the injury and stopped playing. He will be allowed to use it for 8 tournaments within 9 months time. As soon as he uses the PR once, the clock starts ticking. The PR is only to get on the entry list, it is not for seeding in the tournament draw. Perhaps Woodrow can correct me on any of those, I'm doing it from memory and I usually get one of the numbers mixed up.

To my knowledge, everything Fee said is correct. The only parts I am 100% sure on are that, "He will be allowed to use it for 8 tournaments within 9 months time. As soon as he uses the PR once, the clock starts ticking. The PR is only to get on the entry list, it is not for seeding in the tournament draw."

I am not sure how they calculate the PR though.

Thanks for this.

Anyone have further input on how PR is calculated?

egn
05-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Into what finals?

The World Tour Finals is what I assume he means.

woodrow1029
05-20-2010, 10:26 AM
The World Tour Finals is strictly off of the South Africal ATP Rankings List. PR could not be used for entry into WTF.

Fee
05-20-2010, 11:26 PM
Amazing the things you can find if you actually look even a tiny bit (I thought I'd have to search the whole rule book).

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/Rankings-FAQ.aspx#protected

Q. What is a protected ranking and who is eligible?
http://www.atpworldtour.com/5/graphics/999999.gif?w=455&h=1&as=1 A. A player may petition the CEO for an Entry Protection when he is physically injured and does not compete in any tennis event for a minimum period of six months. The written petition must be received within six months of his last tournament. The Entry Protection shall be a position in the South African Airways ATP Rankings, as determined by the player's average South African Airways ATP Rankings position during the first three months of his injury. The Entry Protection shall be for entry into the main draw or qualifying competition or for special exempt consideration. The Entry Protection shall not be used for seeding purposes, Lucky Loser consideration or for entry into the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals.
The Entry Protection shall be in effect for either the first eight tournaments that the player competes in using the Entry Protection (excluding wild cards and entries as a Direct Acceptance with his current position in the South African Airways ATP Rankings) or for the period up to nine months beginning with the first tennis event that the player competes in, whichever occurs first.

christos_liaskos
05-21-2010, 04:55 AM
I knew he was going to be out for a long time but didnt realise it was basically the whole year written off, which it will be if he didnt play paris masters. Surely that would mean he effectively has no rankings points (apart from the small amount he picked up at the aussie this year) and although his PR would ofcourse get him entry into the tournaments he needed on his comeback, he wouldn't actually be seeded since he would have virtually no rankings points. So that could mean a Fed v Potty first round at the aussie!?!? Since it would be pretty much his first tournament in a year you wouldn't expect him to be at a level where he could take Federer out, but i'm sure there will have been bigger upsets in history if that was to occur

stician
05-21-2010, 09:19 AM
I still don't understand how he hurt or broke his wrist. I've seen his forehand in slow motion and the plow-through 4 balls and finish technique is text book.

wilkinru
05-21-2010, 09:50 AM
He clearly should hit up challengers and just crush players at that level for a bit.

Okay more seriously 2011 will have some pretty strange draws early on. After the clay masters things should be pretty much fixed.

stician
05-21-2010, 10:02 AM
He clearly should hit up challengers and just crush players at that level for a bit.

Okay more seriously 2011 will have some pretty strange draws early on. After the clay masters things should be pretty much fixed.

Sure why not if he needs to build confidence. James Blake, Patrick McEnroe and Andre Agassi all did it.