PDA

View Full Version : Who has Better Chances to Beat Nadal @ FO

DoubleDeuce
05-20-2010, 12:51 PM
Forgot Djoker so I am reposting the poll

If you had to pick one, who would it be?

rovex
05-20-2010, 12:53 PM
Fernando Verdasco

djokovicgonzalez2010
05-20-2010, 12:53 PM
Djokovic
watch out for giraldo
ferrero's game was too defensive to survive him, so nadal's sure is

DoubleDeuce
05-20-2010, 12:55 PM
Fernando Verdasco

Forgot about him..oh well

P_Agony
05-20-2010, 12:57 PM
The Djoker of course. He's the one guy who I'm sure Rafa doesn't like to see in his half of the draw on clay.

fundrazer
05-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Lol thanks for the chuckle rovex, the Spaniards are too afraid of Rafa. Anyways I'd have to say Gulbis or Djoker but I'm not saying they have even a decent chance of beating Rafa.

rovex
05-20-2010, 01:08 PM
[QUOTE=fundrazer;4671442]Lol thanks for the chuckle rovexQUOTE]

You're right. I think i'll change it to Andy Roddick.

DoubleDeuce
05-20-2010, 01:09 PM
is it possible for number 2 and 3 to be in the same half? I think they did it in one of the previous slams

Radobg
05-20-2010, 01:10 PM
I think Nole! But I doubt that this will happen exactly at this RG!!Maybe in one of the following years!!!Who knows....

rovex
05-20-2010, 01:12 PM
Djokovic will be hoping he hasn't got Verdasco to deal with again before the latter stages of the tournament.

TennisFan3
05-20-2010, 01:16 PM
Nadal's losses on clay have ALL been conditional. He's dominated the surface as well as any man has dominated any particular aspect of any sport.

If Nadal is 100%, no one can beat him. If he goes lame again, then Gulbis, Soderling and Delpo have a chance (delpo is not playing unfortunately).

As far as Djokovic or federer are concerned, Both have no chance of beating Nadal in Paris, no matter what Nadal's condition is. Djokovic is 0-10 against Nadal on clay. Federer is 2-10 against Nadal on clay. He's also lost 4 times in Paris to Rafa.

Fed beating Nadal on clay in 5 sets in Paris? That ship sailed away in 2005, 2006. That's when the Swiss was at his peak and Nadal was a cub. Things are different now..

dropshot winner
05-20-2010, 01:22 PM
Fernando Verdasco

LOL.

I think he should start by trying to win more than 1 games in a match, and if he does that, he should try to win more than 3 games a set (which he has never done).

AsaHartz
05-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Gotta say Soderling because he is the only one who has ever done it.

Wouldn't it be something if Nadal ran off another 4 or 5 in a row and retired and you were the only guy to ever beat him at RG.

Max G.
05-20-2010, 01:33 PM
is it possible for number 2 and 3 to be in the same half? I think they did it in one of the previous slams

Yes, it's possible. 1 and 2 are placed on opposite sides of the draw; 3 and 4 are placed randomly between the two halves. 1-3 4-2 and 1-4 3-2 are both possible.

rovex
05-20-2010, 01:35 PM
LOL.

I think he should start by trying to win more than 1 games in a match, and if he does that, he should try to win more than 3 games a set (which he has never done).

Not saying your wrong, but how many games did Soderling win against Nadal in their encounter in a few weeks before the French Open? LOL

dropshot winner
05-20-2010, 01:39 PM
Not saying your wrong, but how many games did Soderling win against Nadal in their encounter in a few weeks before the French Open? LOL

True. But Söderling gave him a very though match before that, on Nadal's 2nd best surface.

The sad thing is that it isn't just about the game, Verdasco has enough of it to eventually beat Nadal (at least on hardcourt), but the doesn't seem to really believe in his chances.

davey25
05-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Out of these guys? I would say in order:

1. Gulbis
2. Djokovic
3. Soderling
4. Ferrer

Gulbis is one of the hottest players on tour now and if he can play like he did at Rome or a bit better he has a shot of winning if Nadal doesnt bring his A-game. Djokovic wont ever get far enough to play Nadal at this years French given his recent form and confidence, but if he somehow does he has a better shot than most since he is one of the few who has given Nadal alot of tough matches on clay. Soderling's run last year I think was a fluke and I dont think he is a top clay courter at all. However he would have a shot just because of his self belief and lack of fear of Nadal. Ferrer has given Nadal some decent matches on the dirt, although winning a set seems like it would enough of a challenge for him let alone the match.

The others on the list are not even worth considering.

bluetrain4
05-20-2010, 02:24 PM
I expect Nadal to win, so I'm not saying that these players will beat him, but seriously, the players with the best chance in my opinion are

1. Federer - he's actually beat him on clay and played him close before.

2. Almagro - he seems to go through patches where Nadal's hitting patterns just don't bother him, and he has the big shots. That said, I can't see him sustaining it over 5 sets.

I always expect Monfils-Nadal to be at least be interesting since Monfils can run so many shots down, can play great defense, and has good offense. But, he's clearly a tier below the top guys and can't execute consistently enough. So, I'm not choosing him, just making this observation.

veroniquem
05-20-2010, 02:26 PM
Gotta say Soderling because he is the only one who has ever done it.

That's not a bad logic: that or an unexpectedly on fire player. Bottom line is though: if Rafa feels fine, noone can beat him on clay, period.

Tennis_Bum
05-20-2010, 02:26 PM
Forgot about him..oh well

I don't think it would matter if you put Verdasco in the poll.

Tony48
05-20-2010, 02:38 PM
Gulbis: has a decent shot. He has already proved that he can take it to Nadal on clay.

Ferrer: he's Spanish, so no.

Ferrero: ditto

Soderling: he's done it before, although he isn't exactly the #1 favorite to do so. I'd say that he has a small shot.

Tsonga: No.

Monfils: not this year, at least. That beat down a few weeks ago indicates to me that he's still a little leery from injury. Plus, he's not consistent enough anyway.

Djoker: Who knows. I'm going to say that Nadal has to be a little off of his game and Djoker has to be absolutely HOT (and we haven't seen this in a long time). Might be close but I'm going to say no. But like I said: who knows.

kishnabe
05-20-2010, 02:41 PM
This year I would say Gulbis on form and Verdasco( Potenteially could beat Rafa) but Rafa is so physically tough to beat with his spin.

veroniquem
05-20-2010, 02:43 PM
I agree (with tony48). Gulbis and Sod have the kind of game that bothers Rafa and I'm not saying they would be likely to do it but there would be more of a chance than with other players.

Dutch-Guy
05-20-2010, 03:28 PM
The Djoker of course. He's the one guy who I'm sure Rafa doesn't like to see in his half of the draw on clay.

He's 9-0 against Nadal on clay(3-0 in Paris).
Back on the topic: a red hot Gulbis may cause Nadal a serious problem but at the end the King of clay 'd still prevail(just like in Rome).

NamRanger
05-20-2010, 03:33 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Youhzny just for giggles.

Anaconda
05-20-2010, 03:46 PM
The clay field is a joke. I mean how weak is the clay field if Gulbis is seen as the biggest threat to Nadal?

Davydenko is out, so i'll say Djokovic.

veroniquem
05-20-2010, 04:16 PM
It's all a matter of matchup. Guys like Ferrer, Verdasco, Almagro may be big threats for other players but not for Rafa. And the players who annoy Fed are also different.

Anaconda
05-20-2010, 04:19 PM
It's all a matter of matchup. Guys like Ferrer, Verdasco, Almagro may be big threats for other players but not for Rafa. And the players who annoy Fed are also different.

JMDP would have been a threat to Nadal. Too bad, i would have wanted to see that match go down.

Drago
05-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Marin Cilic

pjonesy
05-20-2010, 05:39 PM
Out of these guys? I would say in order:

1. Gulbis
2. Djokovic
3. Soderling
4. Ferrer

Gulbis is one of the hottest players on tour now and if he can play like he did at Rome or a bit better he has a shot of winning if Nadal doesnt bring his A-game. Djokovic wont ever get far enough to play Nadal at this years French given his recent form and confidence, but if he somehow does he has a better shot than most since he is one of the few who has given Nadal alot of tough matches on clay. Soderling's run last year I think was a fluke and I dont think he is a top clay courter at all. However he would have a shot just because of his self belief and lack of fear of Nadal. Ferrer has given Nadal some decent matches on the dirt, although winning a set seems like it would enough of a challenge for him let alone the match.

The others on the list are not even worth considering.

I think you are closest to having a reasonable list. Gulbis could have won their match in Rome. He hits with tremendous pace and has developed some touch, including drop shots and slices that can disrupt Nadal's rhythm. I agree with your comments about Djokovic and I really cannot see him being a factor this year. I completely agree with you about Soderling. He played extremely aggressive last year and Nadal did not possess the energy to match his intensity. I fully expect that Soderling will not have the success he had last year and Nadal will be the aggressor in all of his matches at Roland Garros. Do not expect him to play passively. I disagree with you about Ferrer being on the list. Ferrer can beat anyone else but he will not take 3 sets from Nadal. Ferrer does not have the weapons to beat him. I would say that Almagro has a slim chance against Nadal. He can hurt Nadal with his powerful strokes and is adept at finishing points when he has the chance. Almagro looked very strong against Nadal in the 1st set in Madrid. I think that he will have difficulty taking 3 sets from Nadal, but if he can add some variety and some surprise tactics to his game (like Gulbis), he may be able to frustrate Nadal. Once again, Nadal looks as invincible as ever going into the French Open.

nikdom
05-20-2010, 05:47 PM
john isner

vortex1
05-20-2010, 05:48 PM
Ok, who voted Tsonga. Come on, confess. :evil:

Lsmkenpo
05-20-2010, 06:02 PM
Have to remember just because it is a clay event, doesn't mean it will play like the slow clay in Barcelona and Rome where Nadal can grind players to death.

Any of the top offensive players have a chance to beat him, if they get on a hot streak.

Polaris
05-20-2010, 06:07 PM
Only the Soderman has done it so far, but I'd love to see Gulbis do it, or Djokovic.
Most of all, though, it would be awesome if Federer did the job once and for all.

OTMPut
05-20-2010, 06:28 PM
If Nadal is 100%, no one can beat him.

ah there it is!

look up "tautology".

OddJack
05-20-2010, 06:46 PM
If Nadal is 100%, no one can beat him

Yeah, that's the title for upcoming Wimbledon Poem.

penguinn11
05-20-2010, 06:47 PM
Why is it that everythime Nadal or Fed loses there will be excuses?

It is not rocket science that in a competition there will be a winner and a loser. So when Nadal or Fed take to the court to play, no excuses if they lose. Its just that the opponent play better on that day and all his shot either paint the line or so good that it force error on them.

Give credit to all tennis players who train and sacrifice alot to get to where they are today, tennis is not just about fed or nadal, its about the whole pool of players out there trying to get to their level.

coloskier
05-21-2010, 09:14 AM
That's not a bad logic: that or an unexpectedly on fire player. Bottom line is though: if Rafa feels fine, noone can beat him on clay, period.

Soderling is in Fed's half, so that won't be happening. Gulbis is also in Fed's half. I predict another Fed/Nadal final. Neither of them should be bothered by anyone in their half of the draw in a best 3 of 5. All the spaniards are in Nadal's half, and they all wilt immediately against him.

dmt
05-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Have to remember just because it is a clay event, doesn't mean it will play like the slow clay in Barcelona and Rome where Nadal can grind players to death.

Any of the top offensive players have a chance to beat him, if they get on a hot streak.

rome is not slow clay

yellowoctopus
05-21-2010, 12:15 PM
Nadal will not face Gulbis, Soderling, Mofil, or Tsonga in this year's RG, so I'm guessing the poll is referring to a general case scenario.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_-0HIOy6dMBo/Rxkkn85b2sI/AAAAAAAAANE/DM7sV9XhAuU/s320/Confused+Nadal+presser.JPG

Legend of Borg
05-21-2010, 12:29 PM
JMDP would have been a threat to Nadal. Too bad, i would have wanted to see that match go down.

I would pay to see Delpo with 2009 FO form against Nadal in this FO. Sadly, it isn't happening.

Leonidas
05-21-2010, 12:46 PM
I would pay to see Delpo with 2009 FO form against Nadal in this FO. Sadly, it isn't happening.

Delpo lost to federer last year. You cannot be blasting the ball for 4 hours on CLAY. He got tired , thatīs the reason he lost to federer. by the way, Federerīs stamina is underrated. Mind you, he runs away with the victory in GS a lot of times because he is fitter than his opponents in the last 3 sets. Back to the topic, i think a Nadal in form and playing on a normal FO court (no ultralight balls and no removing tha layers of clay) would beat delpo, probably in straights

tahiti
05-21-2010, 12:58 PM
Fernando Verdasco

Yeah I wonder why Nando isn't on the list?
Djokovic also of course has a chance.

tahiti
05-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Why is it that everythime Nadal or Fed loses there will be excuses?

It is not rocket science that in a competition there will be a winner and a loser. So when Nadal or Fed take to the court to play, no excuses if they lose. Its just that the opponent play better on that day and all his shot either paint the line or so good that it force error on them.

Give credit to all tennis players who train and sacrifice alot to get to where they are today, tennis is not just about fed or nadal, its about the whole pool of players out there trying to get to their level.

Well said, good post.

Lsmkenpo
05-21-2010, 04:06 PM
rome is not slow clay

It is medium paced, slow enough for grinders to still wait for the UE , nothing compared to the French. You could count on one hand the players with the strokes to hit through the court in Rome, only the biggest hitters on tour could do it. It will be much different at Roland Garros.

jamesblakefan#1
05-21-2010, 05:02 PM
LOL at Gulbis leading this poll. This guy's reaching Nalbandian status already.

Fed is the answer.

Omega_7000
05-21-2010, 05:15 PM
Fernando Verdasco

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Wait...

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Wait I'm still not finished...

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :lol:

Omega_7000
05-21-2010, 05:16 PM
So Nadal lucked out! The two players capable of beating him are in Federer's half...:-(

The-Champ
05-21-2010, 07:00 PM
Fed beating Nadal on clay in 5 sets in Paris? That ship sailed away in 2005, 2006. That's when the Swiss was at his peak and Nadal was a cub. Things are different now..

Cub Nadal was a much better defender than 2009-2010 Nadal.

Blinkism
05-21-2010, 07:05 PM
I'd vote Federer (if he was an option).

I mean, if Nadal's playing his best tennis I can't see anyone else beating him except maybe Roger playing his absolute best tennis.

And then I imagine the match would be similar to the final in Rome in 2006.

Ofcourse, the scary thing about Nadal (on clay), is that he doesn't need to play near his best to beat most guys, anyways.

OddJack
05-21-2010, 07:09 PM

I mean, if Nadal's playing his best tennis I can't see anyone else beating him except maybe Roger playing his absolute best tennis.

Ofcourse, the scary thing about Nadal (on clay), is that he doesn't need to play near his best to beat most guys, anyways.

Rodge is going to fight his heart out for this title. It's his chance for a GS.
Expect some ugly points and lots of grinding.
I doubt ever before he wanted a title more than this one.

gold soundz
05-21-2010, 07:10 PM
Rodge is going to fight his heart out for this title. It's his chance for a GS.
Expect some ugly points and lots of grinding.
I doubt ever before he wanted a title more than this one.

I agree with you. I don't think him winning the grand slam this year (since he's already won the Aus Open) has been mentioned much by the media or by Federer. I think secretly he's thinking to himself that this is the year to take it.

OddJack
05-21-2010, 07:21 PM
I agree with you. I don't think him winning the grand slam this year (since he's already won the Aus Open) has been mentioned much by the media or by Federer. I think secretly he's thinking to himself that this is the year to take it.

And you know what, days of talks about Nadal being in his head is gone. For a full year he watched guys who he beat regularly dimiss him week in and week out. His last match was no mental break down. It was no where near the way he lost the AO. Nadal is vulnerable under his bullying surface and Rodge is well aware of this. If he gets to final it will be no 08.

vortex1
05-21-2010, 07:25 PM
And you know what, days of talks about Nadal being in his head is gone. For a full year he watched guys who he beat regularly dimiss him week in and week out. His last match was no mental break down. It was no where near the way he lost the AO. Nadal is vulnerable under his bullying surface and Rodge is well aware of this. If he gets to final it will be no 08.

He couldn't convert million BPs and choked tie break away. I'd say it was a classic Fed/Nadal match. Except... they played on fast clay. So I believe in FO finals Nadal will either straight set him or 4 sets at MOST.

gold soundz
05-21-2010, 07:30 PM

I definitely think that Roger is not as scared as Rafa as he used to be; it looked this way in Madrid. But I still think that Rafa could still put on a 2008 French open repeat against Federer simply because of his tennis.

OddJack
05-21-2010, 07:30 PM
He couldn't convert million BPs and choked tie break away. I'd say it was a classic Fed/Nadal match. Except... they played on fast clay. So I believe in FO finals Nadal will either straight set him or 4 sets at MOST.

No, disagree completely. It was a close match however you look at it. He must have won that tiebreak but if he lost it doesnt mean he chocked. Choke is an overused word peaple like to use to degrade players. Nadal played those break points as he always does. It does not automatically mean Federer chocked.

OddJack
05-21-2010, 07:34 PM
I definitely think that Roger is not as scared as Rafa as he used to be; it looked this way in Madrid. But I still think that Rafa could still put on a 2008 French open repeat against Federer simply because of his tennis.

He is not the same guy tho. He is cripplde by injuries. If you look at his tournaments you will see that he played Madrid weaker than Rome and Rome weaker than Monte Carlo. When I say "weaker" is by his own standards and how he faired agains other players, not in his results.

gold soundz
05-21-2010, 07:41 PM
He is not the same guy tho. He is cripplde by injuries. If you look at his tournaments you will see that he played Madrid weaker than Rome and Rome weaker than Monte Carlo. When I say "weaker" is by his own standards and how he faired agains other players, not in his results.

Yeah I agree. But I think the Madrid surface also made his game appear weaker. Hopefully the FO will have the clay this year to suit him.

ChopShot
05-22-2010, 05:21 AM
He's 9-0 against Nadal on clay(3-0 in Paris).
Back on the topic: a red hot Gulbis may cause Nadal a serious problem but at the end the King of clay 'd still prevail(just like in Rome).

If Gulbis hadn't had a broken forehand in Rome, that match would have looked entirely different. Gulbis might actually have slaughtered him, seeing as Nadal had some strange aversion to hitting DTL in that match.

Marius_Hancu
05-22-2010, 05:24 AM
Look at the draw:
Djoko, but only on a great day

Verdasco: never up to it, gives up before it starts

Rippy
05-22-2010, 05:32 AM
Djokovic probably has the best chance, but it's still incredibly unlikely.

YodaKnowsBest
05-22-2010, 09:03 AM
They all have 0% chance of winning so they are all equal.

mandy01
05-22-2010, 09:15 AM
delete post.

127mph
05-22-2010, 09:47 AM
Belucci will do it!

Sentinel
05-22-2010, 10:02 AM

Looks like its time for Sentinel to pull out the Imperius (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spells_in_Harry_Potter#Imperio_.28Imperius_Curse.2 9) Curse :evil::evil:

Legend of Borg
05-22-2010, 10:05 AM
Delpo lost to federer last year. You cannot be blasting the ball for 4 hours on CLAY. He got tired , thatīs the reason he lost to federer. by the way, Federerīs stamina is underrated. Mind you, he runs away with the victory in GS a lot of times because he is fitter than his opponents in the last 3 sets. Back to the topic, i think a Nadal in form and playing on a normal FO court (no ultralight balls and no removing tha layers of clay) would beat delpo, probably in straights

Wasn't last year's court "normal"? Why would they remove layers of clay and play with ultralight balls? :confused:

dmt
05-22-2010, 10:11 AM
Wasn't last year's court "normal"? Why would they remove layers of clay and play with ultralight balls? :confused:

Well weren't the courts last year playing alot faster then usual? I think so, i just watched some highlights on youtube from 09 french open and then some highlights from 07 and 08 fo and i certainly see a difference. Maybe it was the weather, i dont know for sure, but there was a difference.

Legend of Borg
05-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Well weren't the courts last year playing alot faster then usual? I think so, i just watched some highlights on youtube from 09 french open and then some highlights from 07 and 08 fo and i certainly see a difference. Maybe it was the weather, i dont know for sure, but there was a difference.

Have you seen this year's court speed yet? Just curious.

dmt
05-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Have you seen this year's court speed yet? Just curious.

no i haven't. What is the court speed like this year?