PDA

View Full Version : Murray:judge me on my slams

richied
05-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Sure...you haven't won any...now go away and practice hitting winners

Andy Murray believes he should be judged by his grand slam performances rather than his failures in lesser tournaments as he prepares for this year's French Open.

Murray endured something of a slump after reaching the final of the Australian Open back in January but found a semblance of form at the recent Madrid Masters.

The world No.4 on Thursday shrugged off the below-par displays that saw him lose his opening match in more than one tournament between Melbourne and Madrid, insisting now was the time to come good.

davey25
05-20-2010, 03:01 PM
Coming from him that is a rich statement. What will be next, Safina saying the same thing.

NamRanger
05-20-2010, 03:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekQ_Ja02gTY

That is all I have to say.

Anaconda
05-20-2010, 03:07 PM
WAIT!!!!!!! WHAT???

I'm speechless.

veroniquem
05-20-2010, 03:12 PM
His best bet is to be judged by his play on hard courts, slams or not. That's where he shines (yes I know, he hasn't won a slam yet but 2 finals is definitely a great result and he has won quite a few titles on that surface). Clay will always be his weak surface. He has a shot at the W final too.

Tony48
05-20-2010, 03:18 PM
Is he foreshadowing a 2011 calendar slam or something?

penguinn11
05-20-2010, 06:25 PM
I think its a bad move by him, he should not follow Fed footstep so young into his career by focusing on just the slams. Fed have everything and won alot of non-slams title as well. He is in the record books and will be in the hall of fame regardless of the arguement of whether he is goat or no goat.

Fed in this case is being a bad example to the younger players, where he is influencing them also to focus on slams only, which is bad for tennis as a whole.

jamesblakefan#1
05-20-2010, 07:15 PM
I think the full quote should be posted for context.

"Last year, I got asked a lot of questions about why I wasn't doing as well in the slams," he said after winning a gruelling exhibition against Mardy Fish in Paris this afternoon, his final warm-up match before Roland Garros. "It's all well and good winning the Masters Series but the slams are what is important."

He added: "This year, the one slam I played, I played very, very well - the best tennis of my life.

"There was definitely a little dip after that in Miami and in Monte Carlo.

"But I feel good again, I'm winning matches and this is now a very important five, six weeks ahead.

"I've got the French Open and Wimbledon coming up and they're the tournaments where I want to try to perform my best."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5gZYo58kbgSjSVljiWpfEneKbwq5g

Nothing wrong w/ what he said IMO. Last year everyone was on his back about not having the slam results, this year he makes a slam final and slumps and people are back on his back again. :?

richied
05-20-2010, 09:10 PM
He doesn't have the courage yet to go for the winner one shot before Fed or Nadal does, even if the ball isn't in the perfect position, these day he has to take more risks. That's what Fed does, always going for it! Sure he misses some but more than not they find there mark, especially over a 5 set match

Spider
05-20-2010, 09:34 PM
When Murray made that quote earlier this year I realized he doesn't care about these smaller events anymore, and prefers to concentrate on winning slams. That is good to see, as you will always be judged by your performance at slams and not these smaller events.

I like the way Murray has spent so less time in smaller events this year compared to last year. He will be very fresh at RG and Wimbledon this year, I hope he wins one of them this year. :)

ubermeyer
05-20-2010, 10:00 PM
judge me on my slams, you say

ok, then you su-ck murray.

malakas
05-20-2010, 10:20 PM
such a statement,coming from the king of MickeyMouse tournies is at least ironical..:mrgreen: but he has so much pressure and receives so much critisism and hype that I kinda feel sorry for him.

Blinkism
05-20-2010, 10:56 PM
Coming from someone who owns as many slam titles as Murray, I'd like to say that I AM judging you on your slams, Mr. Muzzer...

COME ON!

Rhino
05-20-2010, 11:00 PM
I wonder if he'll still say that when he gets destroyed at the French Open in a few days.

angiebaby
05-20-2010, 11:16 PM
That's an interesting comment coming from him. At this point he should be grateful for the little, less important, Master series and hope to actually WIN a few more before asking people to judge him on his non-existent slams. :rolleyes:

Learn to walk before running Andy.

Spider
05-20-2010, 11:21 PM
Haters out in full force. Murray will prove everyone wrong at Wimbledon this year.

jamesblakefan#1
05-20-2010, 11:35 PM
That's an interesting comment coming from him. At this point he should be grateful for the little, less important, Master series and hope to actually WIN a few more before asking people to judge him on his non-existent slams. :rolleyes:

Learn to walk before running Andy.

Did you even read his quote?

"It's all well and good winning the Masters Series but the slams are what is important."

Doesn't everyone agree that's the case? I don't see what's wrong with what he said. OP/writer of the article obviously misconstrued what he said, as if he was saying 'Judge me on my imaginary slams" Of course he didn't say that, how stupid do you guys think he is? He's saying judge him by his slam results, which people have been doing by and large for 2 years now. So again, what's so wrong with what Murray said? Or do some people on here just need any excuse possible to rip Murray a new one? :rolleyes:

Anaconda
05-21-2010, 12:19 AM
I'm not actually going to bash Murray. Infact, i'm going to say that he takes a slam next year. I think his defensive game will work in about one slam a year. If you think about it, because it's unlikely that you run into a power player in full throttle 0 times on the way to making it deep. He lost his one chance this year IMO. However a good showing at Roland Garros will give him confidence for Wimbledon.

Blinkism
05-21-2010, 12:19 AM
Reasonable and logical posters out in full force. Murray will prove everyone wrong at Wimbledon this year, again.

Fixed it for you.

mandy01
05-21-2010, 12:29 AM
How did I know Blinky was certain to post in this thread? :lol:

Genius me :wink:

vortex1
05-21-2010, 12:31 AM
Murray:judge me on my slams

What slams?

abmk
05-21-2010, 12:32 AM
typical "sensationalistic" heading. I don't see anything wrong in what murray said

jamesblakefan#1
05-21-2010, 12:40 AM
typical "sensationalistic" heading. I don't see anything wrong in what murray said

Exactly. How players perform in slams are what players are remembered for. Murray states that, and somehow is getting bashed. Some people just can't be right for trying I guess.

Sentinel
05-21-2010, 12:40 AM
C'mon guys, he said Slam performances NOT Slam titles.

He's reached the FINALs of 2 slams, and in both been beaten by Federer.
2 slam finals at this tender age is a decent performance. He is clearly destined for greatness, and some jaw-dropping performances.

Sentinel
05-21-2010, 12:43 AM
Is he foreshadowing a 2011 calendar slam or something?
Having missed 2010 by just one slam, one measly slam, surely Murray can hope for all four in 2011.

abmk
05-21-2010, 12:43 AM

2 slam finals at this tender age is a decent performance. He is clearly destined for greatness, and some jaw-dropping performances.

LOL @ jaw-dropping performances :) :)

Anaconda
05-21-2010, 01:52 AM
Who cares if he wins 0 slams? Guys like Nalbandian and Rios, on this discussion board are held in higher regard than players who have achieved more. Sad, but true.

sonicare
05-21-2010, 02:09 AM
I don't have a problem judging him on slams. HE clearly sucks.

jamesblakefan#1
05-21-2010, 02:13 AM
I don't have a problem judging him on slams. HE clearly sucks.

And you are ranked what exactly...:confused:

mawashi
05-21-2010, 03:55 AM
Sure...you haven't won any...now go away and practice hitting winners

Andy Murray believes he should be judged by his grand slam performances rather than his failures in lesser tournaments as he prepares for this year's French Open.

Murray endured something of a slump after reaching the final of the Australian Open back in January but found a semblance of form at the recent Madrid Masters.

The world No.4 on Thursday shrugged off the below-par displays that saw him lose his opening match in more than one tournament between Melbourne and Madrid, insisting now was the time to come good.

Murry... Slams http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/images/smilies/rofl3.gif (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/images/smilies/rofl3.gif)

zagor
05-21-2010, 03:57 AM

Hehe,I see what you did there :)