PDA

View Full Version : plan to get away from babolat

corncob3466
04-15-2004, 06:31 PM
well, my PD is too powerful and too stiff. i really dont like the way it feels. i think i bought it for the wrong reasons. i want to try some players racquets.

i was thinking of demoing some players frames. which ones would you recommend? i was thinking of the ps tour 95, the NXG, 300g, ya know, racquets like that. so, what would yall recommend?

YEMntFtb
04-15-2004, 06:35 PM
i would recommend against the 300g, its just an odd feeling racquet, and its really stiff - demo it for yourself from tennis warehouse though - many try some fischers, all the kids at my club use those

algaray
04-15-2004, 07:16 PM
Don't limit yourself. Go to local shops to feel the balance and see if it feels right. Going away from too powerful and too stiff, means that you should consider:
* Prince NXG MidPlus (MP)
* Prince Diablo MP or Mid
* Head LiquidMetal Radical MP
* Head iPrestige MP
* Head LiquidMetal Prestige MP
* Estusa PBP (TW is probably only place to get demo)
* ProKennex Laver Heritage Type C
* Wilson H Tour
* Volkl V-Engine 10 or 9 or ?

Many choices. Spend a few hours reading and searching the forum here, read product reviews and user feedbacks and you'll begin to see the ones that stick out repeatedly. I started by demoing the Prince Diablo and was ready to buy it until I tried the NXG and liked it a bit better. Keep in mind that strings make a big difference in the feel.

Before you unload the Babolat, contact Babolat USA and ask for advice on strings to help improve control and feel. They have excellent customer service. And I bet they can help you.

ucd_ace
04-15-2004, 07:21 PM
Alagray has som good choices. You should try the whole spectrum of racquets from PD to the more traditional players racquets. I would add:

*Babolat Pure Control (I love this racquet; I found it to be very similar to the Prince Diablo Mid but lighter so your arm won't get as tired as fast)

*Dunlop 200g (The weight of the 300g always put it in the same category as the PD to me)

*Wilson Hyper Prostaff 6.1

Just go through all these racquets and see what people say about them. These boards are a great resource; the more of an idea you start getting of what you like as far as string pattern, balance point, weight, etc. ask more questions on the board about what we would recommend from there.

david aames
04-15-2004, 07:37 PM
well, my PD is too powerful and too stiff. i really dont like the way it feels. i think i bought it for the wrong reasons. i want to try some players racquets.

Powerful is good for your game. Stiff is good for your arm. Do you really want to say goodbye to that serve of yours?

Now if the balls fly, try to string at a higher tension and add a lot of lead to make it head heavy.

corncob3466
04-15-2004, 07:52 PM
well, i guess ill try that first dave. id rather spend 4 bucks on some lead than 140 on a racquet

brijoel
04-15-2004, 08:42 PM
Stiff is good for your arm.

stifff is good for you arm?!?!?
i hope to god you are being sarcastic.......... :?

PHSTennis
04-15-2004, 10:15 PM
Wrong reasons... most people do, my friend he' ll be in my face but ill beat him 6-0 :) I just dont like Babolat its too stiff, people just buy it to look cool sometimes, I like to prove that Babolat isnt all that, their strings are great though :) Well alternatives are:

Wilson PS 5.1 Surge -- Close to PD play but better :P
Wilson H Tour -- My demo coming tomorrow :)

I say the Surge will be an easy switch over I've hit about 3 balls with Babolat and dropped it :)

Jim
04-16-2004, 12:07 AM
If it is a PD Standard, do you want to sell it? Contact me.
Jim 8)

Jaro
04-16-2004, 12:24 AM
One month ago I switched from PD to Diablo MP and now after c.a. 30 sets with Diablo I'm sure it was good decision. As you said, PD was too powerful and too stiff. I tried to string it tight, I've changed strings (Lux Alu Power -> TIMO), I tried to add lead tape, but still it was too powerful for me and also it was painful experience for my arm.

Demo Diablo MP !!!

joe sch
04-16-2004, 05:07 AM
[quote=corncob3466]
Powerful is good for your game. Stiff is good for your arm. Do you really want to say goodbye to that serve of yours? .

NOT unless you want to be the baseline basher and acer wantabe :wink:

corncob3466
04-16-2004, 06:29 AM
one of my friedns/doubles partner at school has a pro kennex 20g. i know they dont make these anymore, but i really like the way it plays. is the 5g close to this? one of my other friends has a PS lite. i like it too. any body got any experience with these sticks?

Thunnus
04-16-2004, 06:45 AM
PD = the last refuge for the insecure and talentless

corncob3466
04-16-2004, 06:51 AM
lol, good one thunnus. i least i can admit that i bought it for the wrong reasons.

python
04-16-2004, 06:59 AM
one of my friedns/doubles partner at school has a pro kennex 20g. i know they dont make these anymore, but i really like the way it plays. is the 5g close to this? one of my other friends has a PS lite. i like it too. any body got any experience with these sticks?

It's not even close. The 5G has much less inherent pop. The 20G is an oversize so it also is much more of an open string pattern. You're sort of comparing apples and oranges. The 20G is a game improvement model.

PHSTennis
04-16-2004, 08:42 AM
PD = the last refuge for the insecure and talentless

Good one, thats exactly right for some people, some wont change, good thing you caught it was a wrong decision and plan to get something right for you :lol:

bendover
04-16-2004, 12:21 PM
too stiff??? i have 4 of them and the arent stiff to me at all. If your looking for somthing more flexible, try out dunlop 300g i think you'll like it :)

PHSTennis
04-17-2004, 07:50 PM
You can try diffrent strings also... something more soft, hard strings even made my Traid T5 a little stiff... usually nothing makes that puppy stiff...

brijoel
04-18-2004, 02:41 AM
too stiff??? i have 4 of them and the arent stiff to me at all. If your looking for somthing more flexible, try out dunlop 300g i think you'll like it :)

how long have you played them....most racquets you wont find out are too stiff till you cant straighten out your arm.

i swear babolat has made a fortune on marketing a pretty racquet to people who simply dont know better. ive figured out why they are so expensive........after someone buys one, they realize the racquet stinks and dont buy another so babolat has to make up for that.

i wouldnt bother with the 300g if the PD is too powerful. it is probably also a bit too light. why not give something at least 11.7 ounces, no longer than 27 inches, a stiffness rating of 67 or under and 98 si or smaller a try. it would feel MUCH more solid and clean and your arm wont be in shambles in less than 2 years. ive been through the stiffer "player's" racquets, and had to take 2 months off from the damage done to my arm. that IS NOT worth it to me.

ibemadskillzz
04-18-2004, 07:29 AM
If you use Babolat Pure Drive, it will improve your game. For example a low rank junior in their section can be a top player nationally. It has power and control. I do not use the racket though. That's why roddick and Moya, Kim Clijs., Harker, and alex corre. Are playing at that level. If I used it I would be number one player in the world, But I don't like tweener rackets.

brijoel
04-18-2004, 02:31 PM
If you use Babolat Pure Drive, it will improve your game. For example a low rank junior in their section can be a top player nationally. It has power and control. I do not use the racket though. That's why roddick and Moya, Kim Clijs., Harker, and alex corre. Are playing at that level. If I used it I would be number one player in the world, But I don't like tweener rackets.

^^^this is too funny. :lol:
~sigh~

Ace
04-18-2004, 07:46 PM
madskillz, you are too funny. yeah, good for you, don't give up your "racquet integrity" to be #1 in the world....even though you could if you wanted to.

and i'm sure its just roddicks racquet choice making him as good as he is....uh huh...he's probably like a 2.5 player, but get that PD in his hands and its like magic!

schaaf
04-18-2004, 08:34 PM
Yeah, he's a charachter allright. In another board, he posted that he is a nationaly ranked junior, but his post topic was something like "how do you return a serve" or something.... go back and search for all posts by him and prepare to laugh...

just my opinion anyway, but I have a strange sense of humor.

Robert Jones
04-18-2004, 08:58 PM
Wow the PD has more power than the Diablo MP. I have been having
problem removing power from my Diablo. Going to try TiMo in my next strings. Prince screwed up the power ratings on the diablo. Its more like a 850 to 900.

One month ago I switched from PD to Diablo MP and now after c.a. 30 sets with Diablo I'm sure it was good decision. As you said, PD was too powerful and too stiff. I tried to string it tight, I've changed strings (Lux Alu Power -> TIMO), I tried to add lead tape, but still it was too powerful for me and also it was painful experience for my arm.

Demo Diablo MP !!!

sandro
04-19-2004, 11:47 PM
I went from PD to Volkl Tour 9; not a bad choice, but I had to add weight to raise the swingweight and have a more solid impact. I would demo the Bab PC MP, that is a lower powered, more stable version of the PD (IMO). Can't comment on diablo (yet)...
good luck!

tschevap
04-20-2004, 12:58 AM
The PD is a good frame - in its class! It is a tweener, not more, not less! It is not that expensive here in Europe - you get a PD for 89Euros - 109Euros! This is really cheap! And they are very popular here. There are many players, who used players sticks before, who play the PD now and are very satisfied! If you are a good player, you can control the power and get the best out of this frame: the spin! I do not play it myself! I playtested and decided it is not made for me and my game - i miss the touch and feel. But for intermediate to advanced baseliners there is not much better out there!
I prefer the PC 97 Standard. It is heavier and delivers less power but more control and touch! This is a good one, too - but different.

I prefered less stiff rackets before as i was playing the RD7 a long time! But there is a reason, that racket-manufacturers produce stiffer frames today. The game got faster and people do not have the strength to produce their own power on a constantly high level over a long match! And there are some quite stiff frames, which can be armfriendly, too! Think of the Prince Warrior or the PC 97! They are both rated very high on racquetresearch.com! I played both of them and had no armtrouble at all! I had very bad armproblems with the RD7 - and this one has only about 57ra!
THe Dunlop 200g are also not that stiff, but produce a lot of armtrouble!

I understand, that somebody does not like a specific racket-company - i do not like Wilson very much! But you should try to stay objective! The PD is a good frame for a specific group of players! Maybe you are not in that group. But the racket is still a good one!