PDA

View Full Version : Fans impact on match outcomes

Riosfan
05-20-2010, 07:29 PM
Have you ever seen or yourself been a factor in the outcome of a pro match? I saw Hrbaty had four very loud Americans in his box at grandstand in US Open vs. Kafelnikov. They were very rowdy and loud every point Hrbaty won and it definitely aggravated Kafel. I asked them, hwo they knew The Dominator and they said Dom met them at Hamlet Cup week before on Long Island and promised them box tickets for all his matches if they would cheer him loudly. They were doing it perfect :) Really hyped up and enthusiastic and you could literally see Kafel imploding each time he netted a ball. Dom just dominated him that day too, like 62 62 62 and Kafel was a top 5 seed.

Here is a good read about a writer who was a fan of Spadea and how he almost helped Spadea to upset Safin at the US Open two years ago.

http://tennis-prose.com/articles/danm/the-fan/

would love to read other examples of fans imposing their will on match :) This could potentially be a great threat...

FedExpress117
05-20-2010, 07:39 PM
Fed's even said that if it weren't for the French crowd, he wouldn't have been able to make those comebacks against Tommy Haas (down two sets) and Delpo (down two sets to 1). That may or may not be true, but when you're in a situation like that, you take any fan's comment as something positive. When you're processing negative marks, it doesn't change your game, but maybe your mentality/calmness on court. But that's just part of the game.. though I don't see how Andy Murray could have had any more support last year at Wimbledon when Andy Roddick beat him in 4 sets on Center Court.. that was just spectacular tennis by Roddick.

Riosfan
05-20-2010, 07:54 PM
Agree Fed, nobody and no amount of crowd love was going to help Murray beat Roddick last year at Wimbledon. Roddick played the best tennis of his career.

I think a reason players like Nalbandian, Ljubicic don't do well in slams is because they don't get the big crowd support which can push them over, inspire and motivate them. But in Davis Cup matches or Olympics, when they play for their flag, they are totally different players. I saw Nalbandian cry tears down his face listening to the anthem in a DC SF two years ago. He never got that fired up for a slam match. Unfortunately Nalb and Ljubicic don't know how to fire up fans / crowd frenzy, at slam events.

slicefox
05-20-2010, 08:51 PM
but mofils does... rofl