PDA

View Full Version : Will Nadals knees hold up throughout the French Open AND Wimbledon?

gold soundz
05-20-2010, 08:29 PM
I'm guessing people thought Nadal was physically perfect at the Aus Open but look what happened. It certainly shocked me when he retired against Murray. Lets hope hes ok for these next 2 slams.

mandy01
05-20-2010, 09:43 PM
Not if he loses.Then we will hear how tired and injured El Martir's knees are.

TheLoneWolf
05-20-2010, 09:50 PM
He has mentioned recently that he is feeling in good form. I think it's unlikely Rafa will become injured within the next 2 months, but anything can happen. Tennis players are prone to injury. Except Fed, who sold his soul to the Devil a while back.

Halba
05-20-2010, 10:03 PM
He has mentioned recently that he is feeling in good form. I think it's unlikely Rafa will become injured within the next 2 months, but anything can happen. Tennis players are prone to injury. Except Fed, who sold his soul to the Devil a while back.

no hard court = no injury. all his recent injuries picked up on hard. rotterdam last year and then us open last year, aus open = all hard

gold soundz
05-20-2010, 10:10 PM
no hard court = no injury. all his recent injuries picked up on hard. rotterdam last year and then us open last year, aus open = all hard

what about at the french last year? wasnt that from all those tough matches earlier in the clay court season?

TheLoneWolf
05-20-2010, 10:11 PM
Yeah, I was thinking along those lines too. But you never know. All it takes is a bad move, an overextension, a fall, to hurt yourself.

Sentinel
05-21-2010, 12:38 AM
I hope Saint Rafa's holy knees hold up other wise the results of the slams he gets beaten in will all be invalidated *twisted*

gold soundz
05-21-2010, 12:50 AM
I hope Saint Rafa's holy knees hold up other wise the results of the slams he gets beaten in will all be invalidated *twisted*
yeah same. i think if they do hold up, he'll be unbeatable at the french and could quite possibly win wimbledon again.

Omega_7000
05-21-2010, 01:59 AM
They will hold up until he loses...

Gorecki
05-21-2010, 02:09 AM
that would depend. if he beats the player X at round 2 with a triple bagel and then loses in the next round to a hot form player, his knees will be busted since the Australian HC season...

Hitman
05-21-2010, 02:12 AM
The problem for Rafa is that he will always have issues with his knees. All it will take is an agressive movement that his knees don't like and he could be out again.

I didn't see exactly when it happend during the Murray AO match, but it did. So even imperceptible movements could take the knees out, and he has problems with BOTH Knees.

If he gets pushed hard, those knees will likely flare up again, but will they be enough to cause him to quit like AO, we'll just have to wait and see. I don't think he wants to take any chances with them though.

Cyan
05-21-2010, 07:35 AM
Good question.

sh@de
05-21-2010, 08:33 AM
Not if he loses.Then we will hear how tired and injured El Martir's knees are.

that would depend. if he beats the player X at round 2 with a triple bagel and then loses in the next round to a hot form player, his knees will be busted since the Australian HC season...

Correct answers! ^^

drakulie
05-21-2010, 08:59 AM
This question is a bit premature. Lets wait until he loses (whenever that is).

nikdom
05-21-2010, 08:59 AM
If he loses, I'm certain they'll be bothering him.

cork_screw
05-21-2010, 09:01 AM
He played 3 masters tournaments and it didn't seem to affect him. So my guess is throwing in 2 more weeks won't hurt him, especially seeing his draw. You might see a lot of goose eggs and straight sets.

kournacopia
05-21-2010, 09:22 AM
Of course his knees will hold up. Why wouldn't they? What, were his knees injured them or something? :confused:

yellowoctopus
05-21-2010, 10:18 AM
If he loses, I'm certain they'll be bothering him.

Bull's eye.
http://tattoos.lovetoknow.com/images/Tattoos/f/f1/Red_bullseye.jpg

Although, I think the modern HGH can perform miracles, so I think all will be well in Nadal's camp for the next year or so.

http://www.clevelandleader.com/files/DebbieClemensHGH.jpg

bolo
05-21-2010, 10:20 AM
Good question, but a better question is whether the fed. fanboys/girls nerves will hold up over the next month. ;)

Totai
05-21-2010, 10:24 AM
Good question, but a better question is whether the fed. fanboys/girls nerves will hold up over the next month. ;)

Fed fanboys are fine. They got their FO and their 16 GS.

Nadal's knees are also fine, he just needed time off last year to shoot the Shakira video, and the knees were a good excuse :)

nikdom
05-21-2010, 10:31 AM
http://i.usatoday.net/sports/graphics/2010/nadal.jpg

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tennis/2010-05-20-rafael-nadal-knee-injuries_N.htm

cknobman
05-21-2010, 10:37 AM
According to Nadal:

If he wins both then yes, otherwise no.

Semi-Pro
05-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Interesting article that correlates with nikdom's.

Rafael Nadal back on track, but punishing game takes a toll

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tennis/2010-05-20-rafael-nadal-french-open_N.htm?csp=obinsite

Mustard
05-21-2010, 11:03 AM
Not as likely on the clay and grass. Those surfaces are far easier on the knees than hardcourts.

Last year, Nadal injured his knee in the Rotterdam final and it got steadily worse match-on-match after his return.

nikdom
05-21-2010, 11:07 AM
Not as likely on the clay and grass. Those surfaces are far easier on the knees than hardcourts.

Last year, Nadal injured his knee in the Rotterdam final and it got steadily worse match-on-match after his return.

Interesting. Didn't know Nadal had pinpointed when he got 'injured' last year. Any links?

bizarre_opinion
05-21-2010, 11:08 AM
how about an option that his knee problem is just a bullsh*t excuse for when he loses.

dmt
05-21-2010, 11:16 AM
how about an option that his knee problem is just a bullsh*t excuse for when he loses.

oh absolutely. He just lies and purposely skips tournaments.

TheLoneWolf
05-21-2010, 11:17 AM
You are right. And last year he didn't even enter to defend his Wimbledon title to make that excuse more believable. :roll:

Semi-Pro
05-21-2010, 11:18 AM
You are right. And last year he didn't even enter to defend his Wimbledon title to make that excuse more believable. :roll:

Welcome back, Mr LoneWolf. :)

bizarre_opinion
05-21-2010, 11:20 AM
oh absolutely. He just lies and purposely skips tournaments.

yeah, thats why he played 2 exo's before he skipped wimbledon. If he was really injured why did he play those exo's. The guy's a bullsh*tt*er, sorry but i don't buy all this talk about nadal being a genuine guy and all humble and stuff, actions speak louder then words, and it's quite abvious nadal is a fake.

nikdom
05-21-2010, 11:21 AM

Who knows? He could've been felt humiliated getting beat by someone he hates and whom he bageled just a few weeks ago. Maybe he wanted to hide under his pillow and cry his heart out for weeks after R.G

He certainly didn't look injured in any of his matches up to and including the defeat to Soderling. In fact, the last match before Sod, if I remember correctly, he beat up on Hewitt pretty handily.

edmondsm
05-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Deleted..............

CMM
05-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Davydenko beat Gulbis at Indian Wells in 2 sets and after that he realized that his wrist was broken and that he has to skip a few tournaments, including Roland Garros.
Simon was on a tennis court last weekend to see if his knees are ok, but he realized that he can't compete at RG.

edmondsm
05-21-2010, 11:28 AM
I think he will hold up. He finally got his scheduling right after all these years.

Mustard
05-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Interesting. Didn't know Nadal had pinpointed when he got 'injured' last year. Any links?

Did you watch that Rotterdam final against Murray?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7891311.stm

Nadal's quote:

"I have been playing with pain on my knees for some months now and I simply can’t go on like this. The pain was limiting certain movements in my body, which affected me mentally as well"

http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2009-06-11/1566.php

nikdom
05-21-2010, 11:30 AM
Davydenko beat Gulbis at Indian Wells in 2 sets and after that he realized that his wrist was broken and that he has to skip a few tournaments, including Roland Garros.
Simon was on a tennis court last weekend to see if his knees are ok, but he realized that he can't compete at RG.

So why did Nadal compete at R.G if he was injured? If you're on the court, don't make excuses. Or lose and give credit to your opponent. Soderling played very well you know, and got to the finals. So stop plying this injured excuse b.s. He lost, fair and square.

edmondsm
05-21-2010, 11:33 AM

Nadal's quote:

"I have been playing with pain on my knees for some months now and I simply can’t go on like this,” wrote Nadal on his website. “The pain was limiting certain movements in my body, which affected me mentally as well"

You realize he won Indian Wells, MC, Barcelona, and Rome after that? He also smoked his two opponents in Davis Cup and made the final of Madrid. So let me get this straight; he got injured in Rotterdam and it didn't effect him until 2 months later when he gets beat by Soderling after dominating the tour for those 2 months.

Mustard
05-21-2010, 11:35 AM
So why did Nadal compete at R.G if he was injured?

Because it's the French Open, where Nadal was 28-0 at the time. His clay-court form had been great yet again, with tournament wins in Monte Carlo, Barcelona and Rome, with a runner-up finish in Madrid.

If you're on the court, don't make excuses. Or lose and give credit to your opponent. Soderling played very well you know, and got to the finals. So stop plying this injured excuse b.s. He lost, fair and square.

I don't see how beating a player with an injury isn't beating someone fair and square. Tennis is a survival of the fittest. If you play, then your job is to beat your opponent, whatever shape you're both in. If you lose, tough.

aprilfool
05-21-2010, 11:35 AM
Tennis players are prone to injury. Except Fed, who sold his soul to the Devil a while back.

Why would he sell his soul to someone that has ten less slams?

nikdom
05-21-2010, 11:36 AM

Nadal's quote:

"I have been playing with pain on my knees for some months now and I simply can’t go on like this. The pain was limiting certain movements in my body, which affected me mentally as well"

From the very same article -

Clearly the guy does have knee problems, I’m not saying he doesn’t. But for me some things just don’t add up. If he had been suffering for “some months now” as he says, why play Rome, why play Madrid or a full clay schedule that included Monte Carlo and Barcelona when the real “end goals” are the French Open and Wimbledon?

And where was this “limited” movement he speaks of? The Rafa I watched during the clay season and even in Paris two weeks ago appeared to be moving just fine. I recall some concern during his epic tussle with Novak Djokovic in Madrid where he had some treatment on his knee from a trainer, but did he ever call for on-court medical attention during Paris? I don’t think so.

If Nadal wants to internally rationalize the loss by saying he wasn’t psychically and mentally 100% right, he’s free to do so.

But from what I saw Soderling beat Nadal straight up. Forget the knee and forget the bad pink shirt which I’m guessing will never be seen on the Spaniard ever again. The Swede attacked early and attacked often, keeping Rafa on his heals throughout the match. Soderling even knocked Nadal down on his arse on one occasion in the third set, a scene reminiscent of Mike Tyson deliriously trying to shove his mouthpiece back into his mouth after James Buster Douglas dropped him in Tokyo some 20 years ago. (Note: Tyson never recovered from that loss!)

nikdom
05-21-2010, 11:38 AM

ROFL. You sir, are a genius!! :D :D

nikdom
05-21-2010, 11:39 AM
I don't see how beating a player with an injury isn't beating someone fair and square. Tennis is a survival of the fittest. If you play, then your job is to beat your opponent, whatever shape you're both in. If you lose, tough.

We're in agreement then.

Mustard
05-21-2010, 11:43 AM
You realize he won Indian Wells, MC, Barcelona, and Rome after that? He also smoked his two opponents in Davis Cup and made the final of Madrid. So let me get this straight; he got injured in Rotterdam and it didn't effect him until 2 months later when he gets beat by Soderling after dominating the tour for those 2 months.

He got injured in the Rotterdam final against Murray, virtually walking through the final set as he was bagelled. Nadal took a few weeks off before he returned to action in Davis Cup.

Nadal then played Indian Wells, Miami, Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Rome, Madrid and the French Open. Match-on-match, tournament-on-tournament, the knee pain returned and got worse and worse. That semi final in Madrid against Djokovic was the straw, camel, back moment. He's then as flat as a pancake against Federer in the Madrid final, loses an exhibition to Dabul at Roland Garros, and then plays mediocre at the start of his French Open defence, improving his form briefly before crashing out to Soderling.

Nadal then pulls out of Queens, travels to Wimbledon and plays two exhibitions at Wimbledon against Hewitt and Wawrinka. Hewitt beats Nadal 6-4, 6-3 while Wawrinka beats Nadal 4-6, 7-6, 10-3 (C. Tiebreak). Nadal then concludes that he's in no shape to defend his Wimbledon title and withdraws.

bizarre_opinion
05-21-2010, 11:48 AM

Nadal's quote:

Sorry mate but thats bullsh*t. Nadal is a first class bullsh*tt*r. When he came to wimbledon last year and had a hit with murray, murray was asked about how rafa was, and murray said he was moving fine and looked all good, yet he skipped wimbledon and made out he was injured, bullsh*t.

Also, when he played roddick this year in miami, i think, he started punching his knee when roddick got a head, to make out to everyone that his knee was the problem, when he really got out played. I mean, come on, the guy is a fake. He comes out all humble in his press conferences, but comes out jumping on the court like a dog, fist pumps, leg ups, the lot. Sorry nadal fan's, your man's a fake.

TheLoneWolf
05-21-2010, 11:51 AM
LOL. That's a good comeback, I applaud you. :)

TheLoneWolf
05-21-2010, 11:52 AM
Welcome back, Mr LoneWolf. :)
Thank you SP! :)

It's a pleasure to be back, and I hope this time I'll behave.

TheLoneWolf
05-21-2010, 11:56 AM
Who knows? He could've been felt humiliated getting beat by someone he hates and whom he bageled just a few weeks ago. Maybe he wanted to hide under his pillow and cry his heart out for weeks after R.G

He certainly didn't look injured in any of his matches up to and including the defeat to Soderling. In fact, the last match before Sod, if I remember correctly, he beat up on Hewitt pretty handily.
I refuse to believe Rafa just didn't show for Wimbledon because he was a baby about his defeat against Soderling. I wouldn't believe even Fed capable of that sort of behavior, much less Rafa. As a matter of fact, I don't think anyone in the tour would refuse to defend a Wimbledon (or any other slam) championship because of being defeated in another slam.

Nadal has said it many times by now. He's always in pain to one degree or another. He's said in interviews that he believes most elite athletes are in pain most of the time. And injuries are unpredictable. But if you want to speculate I can't prevent you from doing so. I don't have any problem taking Nadal's word for it though, so don't feel offended if I believe his words instead of buying your speculation.

Mustard
05-21-2010, 11:59 AM

You don't understand tendinitis well, do you? Some days, it won't affect you at all.

Chris Rizutto
05-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Thank you SP! :)

It's a pleasure to be back, and I hope this time I'll behave.

No you wont. You will get banned again and then you will re register under a different name the way you probably have done a dozen times.

drakulie
05-21-2010, 12:03 PM
He got injured in the Rotterdam final against Murray, virtually walking through the final set as he was bagelled. Nadal took a few weeks off before he returned to action in Davis Cup.

Nadal then played Indian Wells, Miami, Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Rome, Madrid and the French Open. Match-on-match, tournament-on-tournament, the knee pain returned and got worse and worse. That semi final in Madrid against Djokovic was the straw, camel, back moment. He's then as flat as a pancake against Federer in the Madrid final, loses an exhibition to Dabul at Roland Garros, and then plays mediocre at the start of his French Open defence, improving his form briefly before crashing out to Soderling.

Nadal then pulls out of Queens, travels to Wimbledon and plays two exhibitions at Wimbledon against Hewitt and Wawrinka. Hewitt beats Nadal 6-4, 6-3 while Wawrinka beats Nadal 4-6, 7-6, 10-3 (C. Tiebreak). Nadal then concludes that he's in no shape to defend his Wimbledon title and withdraws.

.....and 4 days into wimbledon he was on a practice court preparing for a davis cup match. Yeah, he was injured. :roll:

TheLoneWolf
05-21-2010, 12:05 PM
That's a rather simplistic way of thinking. Have you ever been injured with tendinitis? Tendinitis is an inflamatory process, it's not like a bone fracture that has a much more definite evolution. So yes, it's more than possible to see tendinitis become worse and better by degrees, and that's what happens with Rafa and many others who suffer from it.

sureshs
05-21-2010, 12:05 PM
Tony has declared Nadal's knees 100% for the French. No doubt who is going to be biting the trophy.

Mustard
05-21-2010, 12:06 PM
.....and 4 days into wimbledon he was on a practice court preparing for a davis cup match. Yeah, he was injured. :roll:

Was he? A Davis Cup match he never played? :roll:

Does injured to some of you guys mean that someone is on their death bed or something?

Chris Rizutto
Nadals a fake, phony and a fraud.

TheLoneWolf
No you wont. You will get banned again and then you will re register under a different name the way you probably have done a dozen times.
You are a brilliant investigator. With your talents at the disposal of the CIA I'm willing to bet Osama bin Laden would be in jail right now. :)

TheLoneWolf
05-21-2010, 12:07 PM
And you are a brilliant, smart, and articulate poster.

Mustard
05-21-2010, 12:09 PM

What wisdom :roll:

TheLoneWolf
05-21-2010, 12:10 PM
Sorry mate but thats bullsh*t. Nadal is a first class bullsh*tt*r. When he came to wimbledon last year and had a hit with murray, murray was asked about how rafa was, and murray said he was moving fine and looked all good, yet he skipped wimbledon and made out he was injured, bullsh*t.

Also, when he played roddick this year in miami, i think, he started punching his knee when roddick got a head, to make out to everyone that his knee was the problem, when he really got out played. I mean, come on, the guy is a fake. He comes out all humble in his press conferences, but comes out jumping on the court like a dog, fist pumps, leg ups, the lot. Sorry nadal fan's, your man's a fake.
You are right. Nadal is a fake. Roger, and only Him, is the true champion. The 14-7 H2H is an illusion. Roger has the heart of a lion and the spirit of a warrior, and whenever he cries because of losing to someone better than him it's just some sand blowing on his eyeballs.

To recap:
Nadal = Weak, and fraud. Roger = Strong, and genuine champion.

How am I doing so far?

kournacopia
05-21-2010, 12:18 PM
Everyone on tour has their problems with injuries. Some just cry about it more than others.

nikdom
05-21-2010, 12:18 PM
So let me get this straight. According to you all, its just not possible that Nadal could have played well and lost - cos that's what it seems to me you guys are saying with all these theories about the nature of tendinitis, which matches it chose to flare up (the loss) and where it didn't (all those matches he won between Rotterdam and R.G).

TheLoneWolf
05-21-2010, 12:21 PM
Everyone on tour has their problems with injuries. Some just cry about it more than others.
Yes, I guess DelPo is a crybaby, as is Nadal, whereas Roger is a fearless warrior who plays through insurmountable odds always coming out victorious.

I'd rather accept that than the outrageous alternative (that some players are more prone to injury than others.)

Mustard
05-21-2010, 12:21 PM
So let me get this straight. According to you all, its just not possible that Nadal could have played well and lost - cos that's what it seems to me you guys are saying with all these theories about the nature of tendinitis, which matches it chose to flare up (the loss) and where it didn't (all those matches he won between Rotterdam and R.G).

Define "playing well". The fact is that whatever shape Nadal was in against Soderling at last year's French Open, he was beaten. Unlike some, I don't subscribe to the theory that if a losing player says they're less than 100% that it somehow takes away from the victory of their opponent. A tennis player's job is to beat their opponent, whatever shape they both in. It's a survival of the fittest.

nikdom
05-21-2010, 12:23 PM
Yes, I guess DelPo is a crybaby, as is Nadal, whereas Roger is a fearless warrior who plays through insurmountable odds always coming out victorious.

I'd rather accept that than the outrageous alternative (that some players are more prone to injury than others.)

Why is that outrageous?

Oops. Sorry, I forgot who I was responding to. Never mind, carry on.

TheLoneWolf
05-21-2010, 12:24 PM
No. I never said that. I believe (and I'm just speaking for myself here) that even if Rafa hadn't been injured in RG 09, Soderling might have still won. It's possible for an inferior player to be on fire for a few matches, winning against vastly superior players.

So yeah, all credit to Soderling. They are separate facts, which are taking place simultaneously. Nadal was injured. I think that was a definitive factor in his defeat (notice that despite Soderling playing out of his mind, the match itself wasn't a total rout.) But to say definitely that he would have won had he not been injured is purely speculation.

TheLoneWolf
05-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Why is that outrageous?

Oops. Sorry, I forgot who I was responding to. Never mind, carry on.
I was being sarcastic.

nikdom
05-21-2010, 12:29 PM
No. I never said that. I believe (and I'm just speaking for myself here) that even if Rafa hadn't been injured in RG 09, Soderling might have still won. It's possible for an inferior player to be on fire for a few matches, winning against vastly superior players.

So yeah, all credit to Soderling. They are separate facts, which are taking place simultaneously. Nadal was injured. I think that was a definitive factor in his defeat (notice that despite Soderling playing out of his mind, the match itself wasn't a total rout.) But to say definitely that he would have won had he not been injured is purely speculation.

You are a genius. I could never fully rationalize why Roger lost to Nadal. Now I fully do thanks to your bolded statement above. Those words are worth their weight in gold.

kournacopia
05-21-2010, 12:33 PM
I Thought Nadal could go out this year with the likes of Gulbis or Soderling, but it looks like it won't happen and Nadal has a clear and easy road to the final.

bizarre_opinion
05-21-2010, 12:34 PM
You are right. Nadal is a fake. Roger, and only Him, is the true champion. The 14-7 H2H is an illusion. Roger has the heart of a lion and the spirit of a warrior, and whenever he cries because of losing to someone better than him it's just some sand blowing on his eyeballs.

To recap:
Nadal = Weak, and fraud. Roger = Strong, and genuine champion.

How am I doing so far?

Glad you admit rafa being a total twat. Same goes for roger to tell you the truth i haven't got no respect for either of them, they are both full of sh*t as far as i'm concerned.

bizarre_opinion
05-21-2010, 12:37 PM

i wouldn't be surprised if federer took steroids, to tell you the truth.

TheLoneWolf
05-21-2010, 12:38 PM
You are a genius. I could never fully rationalize why Roger lost to Nadal. Now I fully do thanks to your bolded statement above. Those words are worth their weight in gold.
LOL. You are hilarious. Yes, Nadal happens to be on a hot streak against Fed most of the time they play. It's quite uncanny really. And his domination of 2008 is just that: A hot streak. LOL.

BTW, Robredo is the real GOAT. Everybody else seems to be on a hot streak whenever they play against him. Not fair at all. :twisted:

TheLoneWolf
05-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Glad you admit rafa being a total twat. Same goes for roger to tell you the truth i haven't got no respect for either of them, they are both full of sh*t as far as i'm concerned.
Do you respect anyone except yourself and your shadow? I mean, who's your favorite player right now? :)

TheLoneWolf
05-21-2010, 12:40 PM
I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not. :-?

Mustard
05-21-2010, 12:41 PM
Don't feed the troll, LoneWolf.

nikdom
05-21-2010, 12:41 PM
LOL. You are hilarious. Yes, Nadal happens to be on a hot streak against Fed most of the time they play. It's quite uncanny really. And his domination of 2008 is just that: A hot streak. LOL.

BTW, Robredo is the real GOAT. Everybody else seems to be on a hot streak whenever they play against him. Not fair at all. :twisted:

Hey you're the one making generalized statements, not me. Thank you for the fodder! ;)

TheLoneWolf
05-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Hey you're the one making generalized statements, not me. Thank you for the fodder! ;)
If you can point out a single statement that I made in this thread (which wasn't made in jest) and which constitutes a false generalization fallacy, I'll pray tonight for your dark Fed-loving soul. :)

TheLoneWolf
05-21-2010, 12:45 PM
Don't feed the troll, LoneWolf.
LOL. Feeding them is not what worries me. It's the nasty bites (and consequent banning) that concerns me.

nikdom
05-21-2010, 12:49 PM
If you can point out a single statement that I made in this thread (which wasn't made in jest) and which constitutes a false generalization fallacy, I'll pray tonight for your dark Fed-loving soul. :)

That explains the irrational-beliefs-vehemently-spewed-as-reasoning part of your online persona. :)

Yes, please do ask your imaginary friend to have mercy on me :(

TheLoneWolf
05-21-2010, 01:02 PM
That explains the irrational-beliefs-vehemently-spewed-as-reasoning part of your online persona. :)
Here we go again. Everybody had been respectful and welcoming on my return, but it was bound to happen.

Let me explain this as simply as I can: You can not compete with me on logical grounds. I just challenged you to expose any of my reasonings as a false generalization fallacy, and instead you go off-tangent, incurring at the same time in an ad hominem fallacy.

I have never claimed Rafa was better than Roger. That would be as stupid as saying Roger is the GOAT. LOL. I'm not the type of goon to support those theories.

However, Nadal owns Roger. That's a simple fact, and it is supported by ample factual evidence.

I think in the end it must be tough to be Roger (or one of his mindless *****.) It is a sort of schizophrenic reality when he so handily dominates the rest of the tour, yet he can't cut the mustard when it comes to his main opponent. I really feel for you kids. :)

TheLoneWolf
05-21-2010, 01:04 PM

Yes, please do ask your imaginary friend to have mercy on me :(
1. God is not imaginary, as you will some day find out (if your realization comes by meditation, hopefully soon enough. If not, I hope that time it is very far, far away.)
2. Where is your sense of humor? I know RG and Wimbledon are around the corner, but come on! :)

nikdom
05-21-2010, 01:12 PM
Here we go again. Everybody had been respectful and welcoming on my return, but it was bound to happen.

Let me explain this as simply as I can: You can not compete with me on logical grounds. I just challenged you to expose any of my reasonings as a false generalization fallacy, and instead you go off-tangent, incurring at the same time in an ad hominem fallacy.

I have never claimed Rafa was better than Roger. That would be as stupid as saying Roger is the GOAT. LOL. I'm not the type of goon to support those theories.

However, Nadal owns Roger. That's a simple fact, and it is supported by ample factual evidence.

I think in the end it must be tough to be Roger (or one of his mindless *****.) It is a sort of schizophrenic reality when he so handily dominates the rest of the tour, yet he can't cut the mustard when it comes to his main opponent. I really feel for you kids. :)

Hey, you keep forgetting that you're the one casting the proverbial first stone.

First you made the generic statement about Soderling winning against Nadal because - and I quote - "It's possible for an inferior player to be on fire for a few matches, winning against vastly superior players". If that's your rationale and you stand by it, why am I wrong in saying the same about Roger's losing record to Rafa? Yes, they only meet a "few" times, given Nadal never makes it to the semis or better of the EOY hard court season.

Second, I don't believe in religion and imaginary friends in the sky. You're the one who attacked me by going all "I'll pray for you, you dark soul" sh$t. Keep your religious mumbo jumbo to yourself. If you have a right to call me a "dark soul" I have a right to call you deluded fool. :|

Hitman
05-21-2010, 01:20 PM
http://i.usatoday.net/sports/graphics/2010/nadal.jpg

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tennis/2010-05-20-rafael-nadal-knee-injuries_N.htm

That's a pretty cool find nikdom.

How did they measure all that?

nikdom
05-21-2010, 01:25 PM
That's a pretty cool find nikdom.

How did they measure all that?

Don't know man. I have no special knowledge beyond what the article had to say. :)

If I had to guess though, they're probably able to measure body acceleration and deceleration off of video tape. That value is then represented in terms of G (which is the rate of acceleration of a body falling through the atmosphere on earth = 9.8 metres per seconds squared)

TheLoneWolf
05-21-2010, 01:26 PM
Hey, you keep forgetting that you're the one casting the proverbial stone first.

First you made the generic statement about Soderling winning against Nadal because - and I quote - "It's possible for an inferior player to be on fire for a few matches, winning against vastly superior players". If that's your rationale and you stand by it, why am I wrong in saying the same about Roger's losing record to Rafa? Yes, they only meet a "few" times, given Nadal never makes it to the semis or better of the EOY hard court season.

How is my statement about Soderling having a hot streak at RG 09 a generic statement? (Note: I assume you mean "faulty generalization"? Otherwise, please enlighten me on your intent when you use the word "generic".)

He had a great tournament, but it was completely uncharacteristic of him. Nadal has a winning H2H (also in Slam finals) against Federer which spans 5 years. If you can't see the differences between the two scenarios I guess I have nothing to add but that I had underestimated your partiality in this discussion.

Second, I don't believe in religion and imaginary friends in the sky. You're the one who attacked me by going all "I'll pray for you, you dark soul" sh$t. Keep your religious mumbo jumbo to yourself. If you have a right to call me a "dark soul" I have a right to call you deluded fool. :)
I'm sorry for doubting whether you had a sense of humor. I retract my statement, as you clearly lack any sense of humor. LOL.

Religion and God are different things. Religion is to God what Physics is to the Cosmos. In other words, religion is definitely flawed. If you are the type of person that thinks that Religion is the same as God, then that explains a few things.

But I digress. When my glowing Nadal-admiring soul reaches the Heavens and I am being caressed by a hundred valkyries whose supple and perky breasts are covered by nothing but their flowing blond hair, I'll be looking down at your dark Fed-loving soul, working the mines of Atheroth for sulfur, alongside Fed, Hitler, and the horrible man in Hollywood that cancelled "King of the Hill."

TheLoneWolf
05-21-2010, 01:31 PM
Don't know man. I have no special knowledge beyond what the article had to say. :)

If I had to guess though, they're probably able to measure body acceleration and deceleration off of video tape. That value is then represented in terms of G (which is the rate of acceleration of a body falling through the atmosphere on earth = 9.8 metres per seconds squared)
I just saw your signature in which you refer to me as the poster with a "loser excuse" for a "stupid post."

I seem to remember you were moderately intelligent, but I now think I must have surely confused you with someone else. Did you even read the post you are referring to? I know people that would be able smell the sarcasm in that post even if they had a 4x4 sticking out of their frontal lobe.

You are something else, buddy. :)

Hitman
05-21-2010, 01:33 PM

It is amazing to see how Rafa pushes his body beyond its limits to achieve victory. Don't know if that is really a good or a bad thing.

nikdom
05-21-2010, 01:33 PM
How is my statement about Soderling having a hot streak at RG 09 a generic statement? (Note: I assume you mean "faulty generalization"? Otherwise, please enlighten me on your intent when you use the word "generic".)

He had a great tournament, but it was completely uncharacteristic of him. Nadal has a winning H2H (also in Slam finals) against Federer which spans 5 years. If you can't see the differences between the two scenarios I guess I have nothing to add but that I had underestimated your partiality in this discussion.

I'm sorry for doubting whether you had a sense of humor. I retract my statement, as you clearly lack any sense of humor. LOL.

Religion and God are different things. Religion is to God what Physics is to the Cosmos. In other words, religion is definitely flawed. If yoiu are the type of person that things that Religion is the same as God, then that explains a few things.

But I digress. When my glowing Nadal-admiring soul reaches the Heavens and I am being caressed by a hundred valkyries whose supple and perky breasts are covered by nothing but their flowing blond hair, I'll be looking down at your dark Fed-loving soul, working the mines of Atheroth for sulfur, alongside Fed, Hitler, and the horrible man in Hollywood that cancelled "King of the Hill."

Alright, your generalization is not faulty per se. It certainly did sound like you were being very underhanded in giving credit to Soderling.

As for the bolded part, I confess I don't know the difference. And I don't care.

One final question since you think I don't have a sense of humor, would your imaginary friend be offended if I referred to him with a lowercase g, as in god?

;)

nikdom
05-21-2010, 01:35 PM
I just saw your signature in which you refer to me as the poster with a "loser excuse" for a "stupid post."

I seem to remember you were moderately intelligent, but I now think I must have surely confused you with someone else. Did you even read the post you are referring to? I know people that would be able smell the sarcasm in that post even if they had a 4x4 sticking out of their frontal lobe.

You are something else, buddy. :)

Actually it wasn't even in reference to you. It was about CMM in another thread. But whatever, its clear you hold yourself in very high esteem and I've somehow crossed you and incurred the wrath of your god. :(

raging
05-21-2010, 01:36 PM

yes, if you study the biomechanics of both players then Fed is definitely moving and hitting more efficiently BUT Nadal is still holding together amazingly well.
He WILL have further knee problems and he will have to decide when to quit.
Still an amazing athlete with huge pain tolerance levels and he has definitely got everybody on the dirt.
BUT for playing tennis I still want to watch Fed dancing on the tightrope against Nadal...as long as it lasts. Their matches will not always be classic but the story is. Awesome. :)
I hope Nadal stays healthy at least 2 more years...

TheLoneWolf
05-21-2010, 01:38 PM
Alright, your generalization is not faulty per se. It certainly did sound like you were being very underhanded in giving credit to Soderling.

As for the bolded part, I confess I don't know the difference. And I don't care.

One final question since you think I don't have a sense of humor, would your imaginary friend be offended if I referred to him with a lowercase g, as in god?

;)
OK, fair enough.

As I said, Religion is to God as Physics is to the Cosmos. Meditate on that for a little bit.

Regarding the use of god without proper capitalization, LOL. Good one, actually there might be hope for you, there is a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. Now, please convert and start worshipping Nadal. federer is a false idol. :)

TheLoneWolf
05-21-2010, 01:40 PM
yes, if you study the biomechanics of both players then Fed is definitely moving and hitting more efficiently BUT Nadal is still holding together amazingly well.
He WILL have further knee problems and he will have to decide when to quit.
Still an amazing athlete with huge pain tolerance levels and he has definitely got everybody on the dirt.
BUT for playing tennis I still want to watch Fed dancing on the tightrope against Nadal...as long as it lasts. Their matches will not always be classic but the story is. Awesome. :)
I hope Nadal stays healthy at least 2 more years...
Good post. But just 2 more years? Come on! Let's fight for at least 5 more. Better scheduling might actually do the trick.

TheLoneWolf
05-21-2010, 01:41 PM
Actually it wasn't even in reference to you. It was about CMM in another thread. But whatever, its clear you hold yourself in very high esteem and I've somehow crossed you and incurred the wrath of your god. :(
Please repent. Pretty please? LOL.

edmondsm
05-21-2010, 02:30 PM
That's a rather simplistic way of thinking. Have you ever been injured with tendinitis? Tendinitis is an inflamatory process, it's not like a bone fracture that has a much more definite evolution. So yes, it's more than possible to see tendinitis become worse and better by degrees, and that's what happens with Rafa and many others who suffer from it.

Yes, I have had tendinitis, a rather painful case of it actually in both achilles. Let me tell you that it was debilitating the moment it flared up and it wasn't like I could still play (soccer) at 90% with it. If symptoms were there, I was pretty much worthless.

I'm sure that Nadal's symptoms don't mirror mine exactly. I just think it's silly to operate under the idea that Nadal is playing with pain, dominating the best players in the world. Then suddenly he loses, and it's because of this injury, which oh by the way he's had since the last time he lost.

TheLoneWolf
05-21-2010, 03:23 PM
Yes, I have had tendinitis, a rather painful case of it actually in both achilles. Let me tell you that it was debilitating the moment it flared up and it wasn't like I could still play (soccer) at 90% with it. If symptoms were there, I was pretty much worthless.

I'm sure that Nadal's symptoms don't mirror mine exactly. I just think it's silly to operate under the idea that Nadal is playing with pain, dominating the best players in the world. Then suddenly he loses, and it's because of this injury, which oh by the way he's had since the last time he lost.
Sorry about your tendinitis. I'm pretty sure there are degrees of tendinitis, and that the location affected also matters.

If you want to believe Nadal just makes excuses when he loses, you are free to do that. The fact is that Nadal has confessed to also winning in pain. It's when the pain is a factor in a loss that it comes to prominence. You can call that an excuse. I call it an explanation. If Nadal loses and someone asks him about it, do you want him to lie and say that he feels great?

Besides, there have been plenty of losses where we haven't heard Nadal bring up the tendinitis. It's only when tendinitis has been a factor that he has mentioned it. Call me crazy, but I think that sounds pretty reasonable.

Augustus
05-21-2010, 03:33 PM
Sorry about your tendinitis. I'm pretty sure there are degrees of tendinitis, and that the location affected also matters.

If you want to believe Nadal just makes excuses when he loses, you are free to do that. The fact is that Nadal has confessed to also winning in pain. It's when the pain is a factor in a loss that it comes to prominence. You can call that an excuse. I call it an explanation. If Nadal loses and someone asks him about it, do you want him to lie and say that he feels great?

Besides, there have been plenty of losses where we haven't heard Nadal bring up the tendinitis. It's only when tendinitis has been a factor that he has mentioned it. Call me crazy, but I think that sounds pretty reasonable.

Good post. All players have their health issues now and then, but whether you like him or not; Nadal has had relatively many injury related problems. Federer had mono, Nadal has tendonitis and Djokovic has breathing issues; these things are no excuses, but it's ignorant to claim they don't play any part in certain losses at all.

Mustard
05-21-2010, 03:43 PM
Good post. All players have their health issues now and then, but whether you like him or not; Nadal has had relatively many injury related problems. Federer had mono, Nadal has tendonitis and Djokovic has breathing issues; these things are no excuses, but it's ignorant to claim they don't play any part in certain losses at all.

I think the problem is that many people only see tennis matches as a "fair contest" if both players are 100% or pretend to be 100%. Instead of this viewpoint, they should see tennis matches as the survival of the fittest where a tennis player's job during a match is to find a way to win, whatever shape both players are in.

The former group will see Nadal's tendonitis as an "excuse" as if it somehow makes Soderling's win over him at the 2009 French Open less credible. I don't see it that way, Nadal may have been hurt but it's a survival of the fittest and Nadal was beaten, end of story.

TheLoneWolf
05-21-2010, 09:29 PM
I think the problem is that many people only see tennis matches as a "fair contest" if both players are 100% or pretend to be 100%. Instead of this viewpoint, they should see tennis matches as the survival of the fittest where a tennis player's job during a match is to find a way to win, whatever shape both players are in.

The former group will see Nadal's tendonitis as an "excuse" as if it somehow makes Soderling's win over him at the 2009 French Open less credible. I don't see it that way, Nadal may have been hurt but it's a survival of the fittest and Nadal was beaten, end of story.
Very good way to put it. It's survival of the fittest. Whether you want it or not Nadal's style puts a very heavy toll on his body. The same aspects of his game that are responsible for his success are also responsible for his physical issues.

Let's just hope last year's debacle was a turning point for Nadal and that now he takes better care of himself. In the movie Blade Runner, Roy Batty (the leader of the Replicants) infiltrates the Tyrrell Corporation to find out how to stop his impending death (Replicants are built with a very limited lifetime of just a few years as a safety measure.)
In his conversation with Tyrrell (the man who designed him and the rest of the replicants,) here's what Tyrrell has to say: The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly, Roy. Let's hope Nadal doesn't turn out to be like Roy Batty. As a tennis player he has burned very bright in a very short time for sure, but hopefully he has a brilliant future ahead of him yet.

TheLoneWolf
05-21-2010, 09:32 PM
Thanks, Augustus. Nobody talks about Djokovic, but you are right that he has plenty of issues. It's a crying shame really, as I think Djokovic has talent to do much more.

mandy01
05-21-2010, 09:55 PM
Good post. All players have their health issues now and then, but whether you like him or not; Nadal has had relatively many injury related problems. Federer had mono, Nadal has tendonitis and Djokovic has breathing issues; these things are no excuses, but it's ignorant to claim they don't play any part in certain losses at all....and the back injury which by the way,was seen as an excuse by a number of people.

malakas
05-21-2010, 10:15 PM
I think he will hold up but possibly tendinitis could flare up again when they go back to hardcourts.Hopefully not.

CMM
05-22-2010, 12:01 AM
Actually it wasn't even in reference to you. It was about CMM in another thread.

http://i43.tinypic.com/nn708x.jpg

sh@de
05-22-2010, 12:54 AM

Well all I can say is that your posts match your username... :)

jtatsiue
05-26-2010, 03:37 PM

His injuries are most likely legitimate. I've suffered from tendinitis off and on for the last 20 years due to playing basketball and tennis. The microscopic tears that develop in the patella tendon due to overuse DO NOT HEAL, the symptoms may subside but the root cause is permanent. Most likely, Rafa's injuries could be connected to the performance enhancing substances he "allegedly" took in order to develop his preternatural stamina, (back to back 5 setters to win the 09 Aussie open), too-fast-for-the-naked-eye racket speed and 3000 plus rpm topspin. Tendinitis is one of the most common injuries afflicting steroid abusers. Big Mac ended his career in St. Louis citing tendinitis as the reason for hanging it up. I could be wrong, Rafa may be 100% clean but if he's truly a sham as you argue then steroids are at the heart of the deception.

jtatsiue
05-26-2010, 03:53 PM
"I wouldn't be surprised if federer took steroids, to tell you the truth."

Bizarre, Fed is in favor of random, off-season, between tournament testing. That doesn't mean that he hasn't at some point been guilty of taking an illicit, performance enhancing substance, e.g. a blood doping agent, it just means that he's clean at the moment and calling for greater levels of accountability and integrity is part of his duty as world number one. If he's juiced then it's because other players (that he's beaten incidentally) were juicing before him, e.g. Agassi perhaps, he bulked up his physique (after the age of 30 it becomes increasingly difficult to put on any lean muscle mass let alone 20 or 30 lbs. worth) as part of a career ending transformation from underachieving schlep to world number one. Could that have been possible solely by dint of diet and exercise? Prior to his resurgence he weighted around 150 lbs. but by the end of his career he was built like Ed Norton's character in American History X, interesting.