PDA

View Full Version : French Open Men's Draw

jamesblakefan#1
05-21-2010, 02:21 AM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4029/4626011101_81fae2d69b_o.jpg

Fed has Lopez, Wawa, Monfils, Cilic, Gulbis, Montanes, and Sod as seeds in his section.

Nadal has Verdasco, Almagro, Kohlschreiber, Gonzo, Ljubbey, Bellucci, and Hewitt.

Djoker has Roddick, Monaco, Melzer, Ferrer, Ferrero, Querrey, Hanescu.

Muzza has Tsonga, GGL, Robredo, Youzh, Berd, Isner, and Baggy in his section.

The-Champ
05-21-2010, 02:25 AM
I want a Nadal vs Söderling final!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hitman
05-21-2010, 02:26 AM
Thanks for draw. Love Fed's pic in the background, a piece of sporting history. :)

djokovicgonzalez2010
05-21-2010, 02:40 AM
www: Montaņés or Söderling

Mortifier
05-21-2010, 02:42 AM
Söderling has one of the worst draws ever. A very solid Montanes in R64, red-hot Gulbis in R32, Fed in Quarters. It's not gonna be easy for him repeating the final from last year.

jamesblakefan#1
05-21-2010, 02:49 AM
Seeds who could go out 1st/2nd Round IMO

Federer - JK.....:D

OK seriously:

Djokovic - Nothing to worry a/b in Korolev, but Giraldo could take a set if Djoker's still off his game a bit

Murray - should breeze by Gasquet, who's too much of a inconsistent headcase to knock out Murray IMO

Roddick - depends on his form. Niemenen is a tricky veteran, but not in good form either. After that, possibly Schwank who's a solid CCer and could cause the upset if Rod's not on his game.

Cilic - his form has been everywhere lately. 2nd round match w/ DGT could spell trouble if he's off his game

The-Champ
05-21-2010, 02:52 AM
Söderling has one of the worst draws ever. A very solid Montanes in R64, red-hot Gulbis in R32, Fed in Quarters. It's not gonna be easy for him repeating the final from last year.

so last year's draw with Nadal in the 4th, was easier? This is the time for him to prove it wasn't a fluke. He needs to get to the final if he wants to see Nadal again.

jamesblakefan#1
05-21-2010, 02:56 AM
so last year's draw with Nadal in the 4th, was easier? This is the time for him to prove it wasn't a fluke. He needs to get to the final if he wants to see Nadal again.

So wait, was Rafa's Wimbledon title a fluke since he didn't even show up to defend it?

Just sayin....

(trolling is as trolling does...:?)

aldeayeah
05-21-2010, 03:08 AM
Wow, Murray's quarter seems rather weak. He may get to the semis, although I'll be pulling for The Baker :D

OTOH he has the hardest 1R match.

Expected runs:

#1 Federer
1R Luczak
2R Tipsy
3R Feli Lopez
4R Wawrinka/Monfils
QF Soderling/Gulbis
SF Murray
F Nadal

#2 Nadal
1R Mina
2R Zeballos
3R Hewitt/Becker
4R Ljubicic
QF Verdasco/Almagro/Gonzalez
SF Djokovic/Ferrer
F Federer

#3 Djokovic
1R Korolev
2R Giraldo
3R Hanescu
4R Querrey/Ferrero
QF Ferrer
SF Nadal
F Federer

#4 Murray
1R Gasquet
2R Chela
3R Baghdatis
4R Berdych
QF Youzhny/Robredo/Tsonga
SF Federer
F Nadal

The-Champ
05-21-2010, 03:14 AM
So wait, was Rafa's Wimbledon title a fluke since he didn't even show up to defend it?

Just sayin....

(trolling is as trolling does...:?)

yes it was! How's james tennis career going these days?

Anaconda
05-21-2010, 03:14 AM
- I can already tell that this will be another Federer v Nadal final.

- Djokovic, well he can get beaten by anyone at this moment

- Roddick has to be happy, potentially could make the 4th round and maybe the QF if he plays his best.

- Murray has too many big hitters to win.

bolo
05-21-2010, 03:15 AM
Wow, Murray's quarter seems rather weak. He may get to the semis.

I think he can do it!

Gorecki
05-21-2010, 03:17 AM
wow at the first 3 rounds by Nadal...

that is some serious competition....

\sarcasm

bolo
05-21-2010, 03:19 AM
wow at the first 3 rounds by Nadal...

that is some serious competition....

\sarcasm

One mans tomato is nadal's morning breakfast. :)

aldeayeah
05-21-2010, 03:20 AM
I think he can do it!
Yeah well, first let's see if Richie doesn't beat him in the very first match... :-?

jamesblakefan#1
05-21-2010, 03:21 AM

Ow that hurts so bad I'm really crying right now since I live vicariously through a tennis player just like you do.

Hitman
05-21-2010, 03:25 AM

Ow that hurts so bad I'm really crying right now since I live vicariously through a tennis player just like you do.

While practicing with Robby Ginepri for the Masters event in Rome, he broke his neck when he slipped on the clay and collided with the net post. In July his father died as a result of stomach cancer. At the same time Blake developed shingles, which temporarily paralyzed half his face and blurred his sight.

Taken for Wikipedia.

It takes someone with serious heart to be able to comeback and do what he did. I enjoy watching him play, and will miss him when he is gone.

cucio
05-21-2010, 03:27 AM
Poor Almagro and Verdasco have the Nadal jynx, there's no avoiding him, in Murray's quarter any of them could have easily made semis and racked up a few points.

Rafa's draw is packed, but he should pull through. Tricky quarter for Fed and Sod, Wawa, Gulbis and Monty may be also contenders for a QF post. Djoker vs Ferrer should battle for the 3rd semi. Murray's quarter should be simply dismissed outright from the tournament as a whole, what a joke.

vortex1
05-21-2010, 03:27 AM
I am a Nadal fan and I can say that he got a clown draw. I wouldn't change it for Federer's in a million years. Old man Hewitt, Gonzo coming back from injury, slumping Djoker, exhausted Verdasco and not to forget "king of clay" Roddick.

Fed will take care of all the ball bashers nicely :twisted:

The-Champ
05-21-2010, 03:29 AM

Someone's getting mad!!! LOL :)

these are just tennis players man....don't get too serious. Seems to me your happiness in life depends on what people say in this forum.

seffina
05-21-2010, 03:30 AM

Just sayin....

(trolling is as trolling does...:?)Yeah, because Soderling won RG and had made the finals two years before and taken it to five and four sets those years. So very comparable.

Speranza
05-21-2010, 03:31 AM
I am a Nadal fan and I can say that he got a clown draw. I wouldn't change it for Federer's in a million years. Old man Hewitt, Gonzo coming back from injury, slumping Djoker, exhausted Verdasco and not to forget "king of clay" Roddick.

Holmes: For once vortex1, I agree with you :)

Gorecki
05-21-2010, 03:33 AM
One mans tomato is nadal's morning breakfast. :)

a nadal le gusta tomatitos por desayuno?

hehe...

seffina
05-21-2010, 03:35 AM
Why couldn't Robin have at least been in Murray's quarter? I would like him to make it to the semis at least. Same for Nando, at least in Djokovic's quarter.

My desired semis would have been Robin/Nadal vs Nando/Federer, but it's an alright draw. Not a lot of match ups that jump out at me. But as they say lemons, lemonade.

Cesc Fabregas
05-21-2010, 03:35 AM
I'm sick and tired of Nadal getting the hardest draw, Gianni Mina is a tricky opponent.

bolo
05-21-2010, 03:39 AM
I'm sick and tired of Nadal getting the hardest draw, Gianni Mina is a tricky opponent.

If alamagaroa was in his draw too and the people held, it could end up being very similar to his 2008 draw.

Anaconda
05-21-2010, 03:42 AM

I know, it's getting ridiculous isn't it? His draw only gets harder when he plays the winner out of Zeballos and a qualifier. So tough. Do you think he will make it?

JeMar
05-21-2010, 03:59 AM
So, what's up with Roddick and Djokovic ALWAYS ending up in the same quarter?

seffina
05-21-2010, 04:01 AM
They are trying to duplicate their USO fireworks?

Spider
05-21-2010, 04:02 AM
Awesome draw for Murray, I can guarentee he will make the final this time. Only Federer/Gulbis/Soderling could be a potential threat but if he plays to his potential, he can beat them all.

Omega_7000
05-21-2010, 04:04 AM
Jeez I can't believe that people here are arguing about Rafito getting a tough draw!!! Who is this imaginary tough opponent in his draw?? I was hoping Soderling or Gulbis would whoop his ***** but fortunately for Nadal, Fed will take care of both for him & will probably get his ***** kicked by Nadal in the finals instead!

This is a cakewalk draw for Nadal because all the big hitters (i.e. players that are a bad matchup for Nadal) are on Fed's half...

Omega_7000
05-21-2010, 04:05 AM
Awesome draw for Murray, I can guarentee he will make the final this time. Only Federer/Gulbis/Soderling could be a potential threat but if he plays to his potential, he can beat them all.

Eh? Sarcasm?

Spider
05-21-2010, 04:07 AM
Eh? Sarcasm?

Before the semi-final, who do you think can take Murray out? No one.

seffina
05-21-2010, 04:07 AM
Goooooooooooooooooo Marin!

I would hope Jo could take Murray out.

Omega_7000
05-21-2010, 04:08 AM

Maybe but you said he will easily make it to the finals...

aldeayeah
05-21-2010, 04:13 AM
By the way, poor Verdasco.

Spider
05-21-2010, 04:16 AM
Maybe but you said he will easily make it to the finals...

Federer is his biggest threat but Murray leads the head to head 6-5, I think Murray will have a slight advantage. Gulbis will have nerves if he gets that far, so Murray will have the advantage. Soderling had one great tournament last year, he needs to prove himself further inorder to consider him as a major threat.

As I see it, it's just Federer in his way and Murray will have his chances against him, if he plays to his potential.

abmk
05-21-2010, 04:19 AM
Federer is his biggest threat but Murray leads the head to head 6-5, I think Murray will have a slight advantage. Gulbis will have nerves if he gets that far, so Murray will have the advantage. Soderling had one great tournament last year, he needs to prove himself further inorder to consider him as a major threat.

As I see it, it's just Federer in his way and Murray will have his chances against him, if he plays to his potential.

LOL ! are you serious ?

You can be funny at times - I remember you saying fed will take out murray in straights at the AO { which is what happened :)} ( slow HC - on which murray is far better than on clay ) and you expect murray to have a slight advantage vs federer on clay where murray is far worse ??

oh and that time H2H was 6-4 in muzza's favour !

Spider
05-21-2010, 04:23 AM
LOL ! are you serious ?

You can be funny at times - I remember you saying fed will take out murray in straights at the AO { which is what happened :)} ( slow HC - on which murray is far better than on clay ) and you expect murray to have a slight advantage vs federer on clay where murray is far worse ??

oh and that time H2H was 6-4 in muzza's favour !

Federer was playing at a very high level at the AO, so I was objective then. Federer isn't playing as good tennis at the moment and Murray can capitalize on that. Despite hard court being Murray's best surface, his defense on clay, could cause lots of problems to Federer. I think people underestimate Murray a lot.

MichaelNadal
05-21-2010, 04:26 AM
Rafa has an easy draw. I have no idea what some of you are talking about. He can beat anyone in his half handily. Fed gets Gulbis, Soderling and Wawrinka.

Spider
05-21-2010, 04:27 AM
On the whole, Nadal is winning this tournament. It will take a huge monumental effort to take him out, and the way he is playing at the moment, even that won't be enough.

Marius_Hancu
05-21-2010, 04:28 AM
The Spaniards will cave in as usual against Nadal in the 2nd half.

Fed has the toughest imaginable draw,

Monfils/Wawrinka, Soderling/Gulbis (Gulbis is my pick in that match), and Tsonga (to beat Murray)

two very good Frenchmen in his path, a lot ...

His toughest match of the tournament until the F: 4th round against Monfils.

CMM
05-21-2010, 04:35 AM
His toughest match of the tournament until the F: 3rd round against Monfils.

:lol: Is this a joke?

Mortifier
05-21-2010, 04:35 AM

I'm not saying it was, but it actually had some good matchups for Soderling's playingstyle. I was just pointing out that with his relatively bad form and this draw, he will probably lose a lot of points.

For instance, look at Tsongas draw. An animal would reach the quarters.

Leonidas
05-21-2010, 04:38 AM
Wow, Murray's quarter seems rather weak. He may get to the semis, although I'll be pulling for The Baker :D

Expected runs:

#1 Federer
1R Luczak
2R Tipsy
3R Feli Lopez
4R Wawrinka/Monfils
QF Soderling/Gulbis
SF Murray
F Nadal

#2 Nadal
1R Mina
2R Zeballos
3R Hewitt/Becker
4R Ljubicic
SF Djokovic/Ferrer
F Federer

#3 Djokovic
1R Korolev
2R Giraldo
3R Hanescu
4R Querrey/Ferrero
QF Ferrer
SF Nadal
F Federer

#4 Murray
1R Gasquet
2R Chela
3R Baghdatis
4R Berdych
SF Federer
F Nadal

Alejandro falla is likely to beat tipsarevic. That guy has improve d alot and is very skillful

christos_liaskos
05-21-2010, 04:38 AM
interesting draw and interesting opinions. Normally in analyzing the draw people usually come to the same conclusions, but reading through this thread there are so many conflicting opinions

jamesblakefan#1
05-21-2010, 04:39 AM

Monfils/Wawrinka, Soderling/Gulbis (Gulbis is my pick in that match), and Tsonga (to beat Murray)

His toughest match of the tournament until the F: 3rd round against Monfils.

Monfils has proven the past 2 years he cannot and will not beat Fed in a slam, even w/ the entire French Army behind him. Wawrinka is a mental midget in slams, hell I'd be surprised if he even reached Monfils. Gulbis may be a test, but realistically will not beat Fed in a slam, doesn't have the mentality at this stage. And Tsonga on clay?

Like I said in the other thread, I fully expect a Fed/Nadal final 2 weeks from now. JMDP and Davy, who could've caused intrigue if healthy, are both out, Djoker's out of form, and Muzza's not up to snuff on clay. Verdasco's burning himself out playing meaningless 250 this week. All signs point to a Fed/Nadal final.

Marius_Hancu
05-21-2010, 04:40 AM
:lol: Is this a joke?

corrected: 4th round toughest for Fed with Monfils

Marius_Hancu
05-21-2010, 04:41 AM
Monfils has proven the past 2 years he cannot and will not beat Fed in a slam, even w/ the entire French Army behind him. Wawrinka is a mental midget in slams, hell I'd be surprised if he even reached Monfils. Gulbis may be a test, but realistically will not beat Fed in a slam, doesn't have the mentality at this stage. And Tsonga on clay?

Like I said in the other thread, I fully expect a Fed/Nadal final 2 weeks from now. JMDP and Davy, who could've caused intrigue if healthy, are both out, Djoker's out of form, and Muzza's not up to snuff on clay. Verdasco's burning himself out playing meaningless 250 this week. All signs point to a Fed/Nadal final.

I agree, but Fed could have tough matches in all of the above.

gold soundz
05-21-2010, 04:41 AM

His toughest match of the tournament until the F: 4th round against Monfils.
no draw is tough for federer remember, he always reaches at least the semis. but imo this is going to be a nadal federer final without a doubt even though im hoping federer's semi-final streak is broken.

CMM
05-21-2010, 04:42 AM
corrected: 4th round toughest for Fed with Monfils

Still sounds like a joke. What makes you think that Monfils can trouble Fed? Especially now, when he just came after an injury.

Marius_Hancu
05-21-2010, 04:44 AM
However, I'm glad Fed doesn't have to grind it out against the Spanish Armada ...

Leonidas
05-21-2010, 04:45 AM
federerīs half looks tougher and is probably tougher, no doubt. The only good thing for federer, and basically the one that matters the most is the fact that he avoids Djokovic (of course, Djokovic would have to make it to the semis). In the end, the only thing that matters for Federer or Nadal is playing the 3-4 players who can actually beat them. You can say that playing wawrinka or monfils is a tough draw, and i agree with that, but those kind of players donīt have a real chance of beating nadal or federer in a Grand slam, and we all know. The only important thing is where Murray, Djokovic,Soderling or del potro (not playing) are placed, cause they are the guys who proved that they can trouble either Nadal or Federer in Slams, period. The rest of the guys have not proved ANYTHING so far

jamesblakefan#1
05-21-2010, 04:46 AM
I agree, but Fed could have tough matches in all of the above.

Tough matches, yes. But that is not a rarity for Fed in slams these days - just look at AO w/ Andreev R1 and Davy QF. But do any of those guys really have what it takes to slay the dragon, as it were, and beat Fed, even if and when they get in a winning position? Gulbis to me does not, Wawa - please, Monfils could but is in poor form currently.

Marius_Hancu
05-21-2010, 04:48 AM
federerīs half looks tougher and is probably tougher, no doubt. The only good thing for federer, and basically the one that matters the most is the fact that he avoids Djokovic

I agree on that one

Gen
05-21-2010, 04:48 AM

What was the last Murray's match that you saw? He's been shaky and quaky since March. His clay season went down the drain. Any reasons to expect good performance in RG?

Gen
05-21-2010, 04:54 AM
a nadal le gusta tomatitos por desayuno?

hehe...

No, he hates them.

abmk
05-21-2010, 05:02 AM
Federer was playing at a very high level at the AO, so I was objective then. Federer isn't playing as good tennis at the moment and Murray can capitalize on that. Despite hard court being Murray's best surface, his defense on clay, could cause lots of problems to Federer. I think people underestimate Murray a lot.

ferrer plays better defense on clay - he couldn't tackle federer at madrid , federer won in 3 ..... Ferrer beat murray in straights there as well as at rome ... you think murray is in better form than federer ? I don't think so.. murray needs to be in top form and for federer to have a terrible day for him to win in a 5-setter on clay and even then it may not be enough !

As for underestimating murray, I don't think so .. its just he's not that good on clay. YOU had him not winning a set in the AO final... I and most others had him taking a set off federer in the finals ... guess others were not under-estimating him !

kournacopia
05-21-2010, 05:04 AM
Nadal fans must be happy. Cakewalk draw for Nadal. Anyone who could take him out is in Fed's quarter.

AndyArodRoddick
05-21-2010, 05:06 AM
Yes! Andy is in the QF this year..

I mean ferrer beat him in the fifth 8:6, in Madrid, in 2008(Andys worst year)

drakulie
05-21-2010, 05:17 AM
Everyone one of those players has an easy draw.

Gorecki
05-21-2010, 05:41 AM
No, he hates them.

y pimentos padron?

Sartorius
05-21-2010, 06:06 AM
People should stop trying to figure out "hard draws" for Federer and Nadal at Grand Slams. It's never easy anyway to win 7 matches in a row.

I think it's an interesting draw though. I think the players who could be considered to "trouble" Nadal are in Fed's draw, and vice versa. IMO Federer wouldn't want to play Verdasco or Ferrer before the semis, even though he has winning records against them. They know this surface better than other players. And while this looks tough on Rafa, I don't think he's going to worry too much about the match-up these two present to him on a clay court.

However the point is, as long as Nadal is on song, he shouldn't be worried of anyone, this certainly includes players like Soderling and Gulbis.

I'm afraid I can't say the same about Federer though. I think he has played two "good" matches in this clay season (vs Gulbis and Rafa)... Well, he didn't play that many matches anyway. And he's more suspectable to poor patches now, at least much more than in the past, which is normal.

In the end both will have to work hard to make it to the final. I'll say it again, it's never "easy"...

...and Murray is probably kicking his head to a wall at the moment.. Horrible opener for him.

Last note, I feel Djokovic is going to be a non-factor here, even if he makes a deep run.

THUNDERVOLLEY
05-21-2010, 06:21 AM

Fed has Lopez, Wawa, Monfils, Cilic, Gulbis, Montanes, and Sod as seeds in his section.

Nadal has Verdasco, Almagro, Kohlschreiber, Gonzo, Ljubbey, Bellucci, and Hewitt.

Though anything is possible, I cannot see Nadal doing anything less than making the final.

ksbh
05-21-2010, 06:25 AM
ROFL! Couldn't agree more, Omega! That explains why some Federer lovers have already started to tear their hair out! :)

This draw almost guarantees a Nadal-federer final. And it's about time ... bring it on!

I was hoping Soderling or Gulbis would whoop his ***** but fortunately for Nadal, Fed will take care of both for him & will probably get his ***** kicked by Nadal in the finals instead!

This is a cakewalk draw for Nadal because all the big hitters (i.e. players that are a bad matchup for Nadal) are on Fed's half...

hoodjem
05-21-2010, 06:25 AM
TMW will win the Grand Slam this year.

So hard draw or easy draw, he will win the French.

gold soundz
05-21-2010, 06:26 AM
the only way we aren't going to get a fed nadal final is if del potro were playing and hes not so its 99% fed vs nadal in the final.

TMF
05-21-2010, 06:43 AM
Nadal fans must be happy. Cakewalk draw for Nadal. Anyone who could take him out is in Fed's quarter.

For not having Soderling on his side, Rafa just dodged a bullet. His fans are relief.

Fedbelly
05-21-2010, 07:03 AM
For not having Soderling on his side, Rafa just dodged a bullet. His fans are relief.

I guess you could say roger dodged a rather large bullet at the french last year.
Had nadal net him in the final last year... Oh lord.

AlexTennisAllDayLong
05-21-2010, 07:07 AM
i wanna see Gulbis n Nadal not fed....shucks!

TMF
05-21-2010, 07:07 AM
I guess you could say roger dodged a rather large bullet at the french last year.

WRONG!
Nadal didn't skip RG. he play and got beat by a better player(Robin) that day, who end up losing to Roger.

ksbh
05-21-2010, 07:08 AM
OK, Roger dodged a bullet at Wimbledon then. LOL!

WRONG!
Nadal didn't skip RG. he play and got beat by a better player(Robin) that day, who end up losing to Roger.

Fedbelly
05-21-2010, 07:10 AM
WRONG!

Hello tmf.
Nowhere in my post does it suggest he skipped.

What it does suggest is that if nadal had made the final, roger would have been beaten by the better player. (nadal) (again)
Cheers.

P_Agony
05-21-2010, 07:16 AM
Great, Nadal gets the clowns Almagro and Verdasco who are in for yet another beating on clay (didn't they win like 2 games combined from Nadal in RG 08?) while Federer gets Gulbis and Soderling, both are tricky opponents. Those are probably the two players other than Djokovic who can trouble Nadal, yet they won't meet him until the final (assuming they beat Fed).

P_Agony
05-21-2010, 07:18 AM

Dude, Murray hasn't won a single set from Federer in slams. It's been a total beating in their GS matches so far.

Cyan
05-21-2010, 07:18 AM
Cakewalk draw for Fed he avoids Nole.

P_Agony
05-21-2010, 07:19 AM

Who knows? Nadal wasn't playing as well as in 2008 while Federer was clearly better than his 2008 form. Plus Federer came with the upper hand beating Nadal in Madrid, so who knows?

P_Agony
05-21-2010, 07:20 AM
Cakewalk draw for Fed he avoids Nole.

Yeah, the Nole who's been the 2nd best clay courter of the...wait...

Fedbelly
05-21-2010, 07:22 AM
Who knows? Nadal wasn't playing as well as in 2008 while Federer was clearly better than his 2008 form. Plus Federer came with the upper hand beating Nadal in Madrid, so who knows?

Who would your money have been on?

Augustus
05-21-2010, 07:23 AM
Dude, Murray hasn't won a single set from Federer in slams. It's been a total beating in their GS matches so far.

And then we don't even mention the fact Murray twice failed to win a set off the only good clay courter he faced this year...

kournacopia
05-21-2010, 07:24 AM
Hello tmf.
Nowhere in my post does it suggest he skipped.

What it does suggest is that if nadal had made the final, roger would have been beaten by the better player. (nadal) (again)
Cheers.

IF Nadal had 3 arms he would have 30 slams by now. One for backhand, one for forehand, and the 3rd for volleys. Va va va voom!

Fedbelly
05-21-2010, 07:27 AM
IF Nadal had 3 arms he would have 30 slams by now. One for backhand, one for forehand, and the 3rd for volleys. Va va va voom!

If fed met nadal in more hard court games, the h2h ... Etc etc

David123
05-21-2010, 07:27 AM
Wow nadal has a really easy draw compared to federer.

norbac
05-21-2010, 07:28 AM
Very interesting draw, very much looking forward to Roland Garros.

Gasquet/Murray looks interesting, though I'll be kind of sad that one of them has to leave the tournament so early.

gold soundz
05-21-2010, 07:28 AM
Very interesting draw, very much looking forward to Roland Garros.

Gasquet/Murray looks interesting, though I'll be kind of sad that one of them has to leave the tournament so early.

Don't worry, Gasquet always leaves early.

norbac
05-21-2010, 07:30 AM
Don't worry, Gasquet always leaves early.

Unfortunately, you're right...:(:oops::(:cry:

P_Agony
05-21-2010, 07:33 AM
Who would your money have been on?

Nadal, I said it last year as well, but I also said (look it up if you don't believe me) that it'll hardly be the beatdown of the previous year and if they meet it'll be A LOT closer.

gold soundz
Unfortunately, you're right...:(:oops::(:cry:

I think Gasquet could get past Murray if he wasn't a mental midget. Seriously it's a pain watching him. All the time when he's break point down he'll go for a ridiculously low percentage shot (often a drop shot), and it almost looks as if hes trying to hit an error on purpose to lose the point.

seffina
Great, Nadal gets the clowns Almagro and Verdasco who are in for yet another beating on clay (didn't they win like 2 games combined from Nadal in RG 08?) while Federer gets Gulbis and Soderling, both are tricky opponents. Those are probably the two players other than Djokovic who can trouble Nadal, yet they won't meet him until the final (assuming they beat Fed).

How many games did Roger win from Nadal in 08? It's silly to compare their performance in that tourny. Rafa was amazing in 08 and both Nico and Nando are better players now. Almagro took a set off Rafa when Roger couldn't in Madrid. Soderling was straight setted by Roger last year. Rafa should beat both Almagro and Verdasco just fine, but Soderling wasn't considered a tricky opponent last year.

None of this stuff means anything! Neither player has a difficult draw if they're playing well.

P_Agony
05-21-2010, 07:35 AM
And then we don't even mention the fact Murray twice failed to win a set off the only good clay courter he faced this year...

It's very odd, because Murray's defensive game should fit the clay perfectly, and yet it doesn't. I think Murray did pretty well in Madrid all things cosidered, and his confidence looked like it's coming back again. It's good to see, for me, because I like Murray. Reaching the RG QF will be a very good result for him at this point I believe.

West Coast Ace
05-21-2010, 07:37 AM
Don't worry, Gasquet always leaves early.Maybe this is the year for that to change. His game has been improving this spring. And Murray's been in a funk. I won't be shocked if there's an upset.

Lot of Spaniards in the bottom half.

Always bugs me that you can have a 1st round match between two qualifiers - I know it shows the draw is random. But wish they'd prepopulate the draw with the qualifiers (e.g. spread them out) and then lay in the rest.

Augustus
05-21-2010, 07:40 AM
It's very odd, because Murray's defensive game should fit the clay perfectly, and yet it doesn't. I think Murray did pretty well in Madrid all things cosidered, and his confidence looked like it's coming back again. It's good to see, for me, because I like Murray. Reaching the RG QF will be a very good result for him at this point I believe.

Murray was playing pretty well in Madrid, but Ferrer has been in tremendous form this spring. I actually think Andy has a decent chance to reach the semis here; his quarter has the lowest number of good claycourters. Berdych might be a threat if he's on though.

seffina
05-21-2010, 07:41 AM
Jo's going to win that quarter. Or I guess that's what I'm badly hoping/wishing.

P_Agony
05-21-2010, 07:43 AM
How many games did Roger win from Nadal in 08? It's silly to compare their performance in that tourny. Rafa was amazing in 08 and both Nico and Nando are better players now. Almagro took a set off Rafa when Roger couldn't in Madrid. Soderling was straight setted by Roger last year. Rafa should beat both Almagro and Verdasco just fine, but Soderling wasn't considered a tricky opponent last year.

None of this stuff means anything! Neither player has a difficult draw if they're playing well.

I have to disagree. Remember the MC 2010 final? How many games did Verdasco win? And yes, that was the "new and improved" Verdasco. True, Almagro did win a set, but really, Nadal was not playing his A game, plus the surface is really different in Madrid than in RG (and MC in comparison is quite similar). I bet Verdasco and Almagro will not win many more games than they did in 2008 if they meet Nadal.

Augustus
05-21-2010, 07:43 AM
Jo's going to win that quarter. Or I guess that's what I'm badly hoping/wishing.

Tsonga will lose to Garcia-Lopez ;)

P_Agony
05-21-2010, 07:46 AM
Murray was playing pretty well in Madrid, but Ferrer has been in tremendous form this spring. I actually think Andy has a decent chance to reach the semis here; his quarter has the lowest number of good claycourters. Berdych might be a threat if he's on though.

Yep. Although Murray has a tricky first round against Gasquet, who will also have the crowd support. I actually want Gasquet to win, because he's my 2nd favorite player, but I'll be happy with any result here. Both need some wins and confidence and fast.

gold soundz
05-21-2010, 07:49 AM
Yep. Although Murray has a tricky first round against Gasquet, who will also have the crowd support. I actually want Gasquet to win, because he's my 2nd favorite player, but I'll be happy with any re**** here. Both need some wins and confidence and fast.

If Gasquet can win that would be huge and I'd be happy. I don't see it happening though. Gasquet just doesn't hit his backhand like he used to. In fact it looks very loopy now like his forehand.

Chadwixx
05-21-2010, 07:50 AM
Wow, 1 (fed) vs 5 (solderling) in one section then 4vs8 in the other, LOL.

Is the murray/tsonga section the weakest in grand slam history?

Li Ching Yuen
05-21-2010, 07:50 AM
Also, people should really take in consideration the players that simply love the Best of 5 format.

Two examples: Cilic, loves it.

While Ljubicic has admitted himself that he can't play for 5 sets anymore, which is part of the reason he is not playing DC these days.

So, look into that when you make your predictions.

rovex
05-21-2010, 07:56 AM
Wow, Verdasco just never gets easy draws does he? And Murray has an interesting first match. Other than Gasquet, i don't see how he can't make at least the QF.

Cyan
05-21-2010, 08:20 AM
Is the murray/tsonga section the weakest in grand slam history?

Possibly. Guarantees an easy SF for Fed, no?

Fedace
05-21-2010, 08:26 AM

Is this a Joke ?? Roger doesn't have to play any clay courter til the semis ?? why not just put him in the finals now ??

ruerooo
05-21-2010, 08:27 AM
Yep. Although Murray has a tricky first round against Gasquet, who will also have the crowd support. I actually want Gasquet to win, because he's my 2nd favorite player, but I'll be happy with any result here. Both need some wins and confidence and fast.

I can hardly believe they're against each other in 1R.
I remember Richard got Feņa Gonzalez in the first round at - was it the AO, or the USO last year? He can't catch a break.

Chadwixx
05-21-2010, 08:28 AM
As if the defending champion and last years finalist wasnt bad enough, they used the #1 vs #5 match up in the quarters which is pathetic on the pathetic french's part. (did i mention they are pathetic?)

Ya these draws are random LOL*10

I guess the dumb french cant do simple math, 1+5 = 6, which is half of 12 (8+4). Ya thats balance, LOL again

Chadwixx
05-21-2010, 08:31 AM
Is this a Joke ?? Roger doesn't have to play any clay courter til the semis ?? why not just put him in the finals now ??

Did you watch the french last year?

norbac
05-21-2010, 08:31 AM
I remember Richard got Feņa Gonzalez in the first round at - was it the AO, or the USO last year? He can't catch a break.

He got Gonzo at the third round Aussie Open last year, Nadal first round at the USO, Youzhny first round at the Aussie this year and now Murray here. Poor Richie...

djokovicgonzalez2010
05-21-2010, 08:32 AM

Expected runs:

#1 Federer
1R Luczak
2R Tipsy
3R Feli Lopez
4R Wawrinka/Monfils
QF Soderling/Gulbis
SF Murray
F Nadal

#2 Nadal
1R Mina
2R Zeballos
3R Hewitt/Becker
4R Ljubicic
SF Djokovic/Ferrer
F Federer

#3 Djokovic
1R Korolev
2R Giraldo
3R Hanescu
4R Querrey/Ferrero
QF Ferrer
SF Nadal
F Federer

#4 Murray
1R Gasquet
2R Chela
3R Baghdatis
4R Berdych
SF Federer
F Nadal
What is w/ people saying Djoker's is easy? Seems the hardest to me

malakas
05-21-2010, 08:55 AM
Federer has an ok draw,Nadal an easy one..but let's be honest-for Rafa to get a hard draw in the first place,it would be very difficult.
I can see Ferrer beating Djoker for a place in the semis,and I'm pulling for Richie to exterminate the Moutza first round.

All in all it looks like Fed will continue his semis streak,and Rafa will win the Slam.*yawn*

malakas
05-21-2010, 08:58 AM
As if the defending champion and last years finalist wasnt bad enough, they used the #1 vs #5 match up in the quarters which is pathetic on the pathetic french's part. (did i mention they are pathetic?)

I guess the dumb french cant do simple math, 1+5 = 6, which is half of 12 (8+4). Ya thats balance, LOL again

ah yes the french they all hate Federer and yes it's the first time in GS history this formula has been ever used,it must be a french conspiracy!!

Semi-Pro
05-21-2010, 08:58 AM
Okay so Federer gets both Gulbis AND Soderling.

Who does Nadal get? Hewitt, Headcase Verdasco? lol.

ksbh
05-21-2010, 09:15 AM
Chad ... we finally agree about something!

Telepatic
05-21-2010, 09:52 AM
It's gonna be a really pitiful SF if Murray or Tsonga reach it, Fed's main customers. (especially on clay)

viduka0101
05-21-2010, 09:55 AM

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3398/4616635034_53de0054f8_o.png

viduka0101
05-21-2010, 09:57 AM

he didn't get both of them
he could get one or the other

Li Ching Yuen
05-21-2010, 10:02 AM
Grand Slams are all about those juicy Round16 and Quarter-final matches. **** the latter stages.

Ripper014
05-21-2010, 10:03 AM

I agree... I would not want Federer's draw... almost everyone in his side is a treat to take him out, and at this point he is not playing anywhere near the top of his game. But then he is Federer... he wins when you don't expect him to and loses just as often, but most important this is a Grand Slam.

If I were a betting man I still could not put money on him making the finals with this draw, but I hope he will.

Chadwixx
05-21-2010, 10:05 AM
It would be interesting if they did rankings on french open only results for the past 5 or so years. Combine it with the seed placement and even the dimmest tw poster could figure this one out :)

dmt
05-21-2010, 10:05 AM

Who does Nadal get? Hewitt, Headcase Verdasco? lol.

Soderling is a headcase vs Federer. Look at how happy he was losing to roger in the french open final last year.

Semi-Pro
05-21-2010, 10:06 AM
he didn't get both of them
he could get one or the other

I talking about them both being in the same quarter...

Semi-Pro
05-21-2010, 10:09 AM
Soderling is a headcase vs Federer. Look at how happy he was losing to roger in the french open final last year.

I agree. I think he was more stoked on taking out Nadal rather than focusing on the finals.

dmt
05-21-2010, 10:11 AM
bottom line is u can't say that Federer has a very tough draw just because he might face soderling. Soderling has never beaten Federer just like Verdasco has never beaten Nadal. If Soderling does make it that far, he'll most likely lose to roger in straights.

Li Ching Yuen
05-21-2010, 10:15 AM
To me, outside the two, only Gulbis has a chance to produce something great. And there's a lot of "if"s to that as well, he has to be really in a great form.

Soderling is back to his former self, the one before FO09.

batz
05-21-2010, 10:17 AM
Sore one for Murray in R1. Also means he won't play Sunday - which is a bit of a scunner.

viduka0101
05-21-2010, 10:20 AM
bottom line is u can't say that Federer has a very tough draw just because he might face soderling. Soderling has never beaten Federer just like Verdasco has never beaten Nadal. If Soderling does make it that far, he'll most likely lose to roger in straights.

I think you make a good point about Soderling
the weird thing is that most people here are judging draws by Nadal
for example:
Federer has a hard draw because Nadal didn't get Soderling
Nadal has an easy draw because none of the players in his quarter are named Gulbis or Soderling
etc.

screw them(like they have anything more to prove)
the ones that really got screwed are Verdasco,Gulbis,Soderling

Li Ching Yuen
05-21-2010, 10:24 AM
I think you make a good point about Soderling
the weird thing is that most people here are judging draws by Nadal
for example:
Federer has a hard draw because Nadal didn't get Soderling
Nadal has an easy draw because none of the players in his quarter are named Gulbis or Soderling
etc.

screw them(like they have anything more to prove)
the ones that really got screwed are Verdasco,Gulbis,Soderling

No, that would be the case if they were in Murray's place, ranked inside the Top5.

Fact is, the clay field is so weak it's not even funny.

malakas
05-21-2010, 10:25 AM
I don't understand how people are so scared to see Sod in Fed's draw.:confused: IMO he poses no great threat.And when it comes to Gulbis I don't think he will be able to even advance to get to play Federer.

Li Ching Yuen
05-21-2010, 10:29 AM
I don't understand how people are so scared to see Sod in Fed's draw.:confused: IMO he poses no great threat.And when it comes to Gulbis I don't think he will be able to even advance to get to play Federer.

You haven't been really watching tennis lately, have you?

viduka0101
05-21-2010, 10:32 AM
No, that would be the case if they were in Murray's place, ranked inside the Top5.

Fact is, the clay field is so weak it's not even funny.

I'm not sure if I understand the bolded part

malakas
05-21-2010, 10:34 AM
You haven't been really watching tennis lately, have you?

oh no I have.But I don't think that Ernests will show up in the great scene that a GS is especially when all the expectation will pressure him.

malakas
05-21-2010, 10:35 AM
I'm not sure if I understand the bolded part

Murray and other as high seeded should get easy draws,the lower ranked players are supposed to get higher seeds and therefore their draws be hard.

Li Ching Yuen
05-21-2010, 10:40 AM
oh no I have.But I don't think that Ernests will show up in the great scene that a GS is especially when all the expectation will pressure him.

What I mean is, he is probably the only guy that, when on, can produce tennis at the level that could hurt the big boys, Nadal and Federer.

malakas
05-21-2010, 10:43 AM
What I mean is, he is probably the only guy that, when on, can produce tennis at the level that could hurt the big boys, Nadal and Federer.

oh yes.Well Berdych can too,Nalby can too and other players..so he's not the only one..but because that rarely happens I won't bet on his chances.Plus after Fed already losing to him,you can be sure he will bring his A game.

Li Ching Yuen
05-21-2010, 10:45 AM
oh yes.Well Berdych can too,Nalby can too and other players..so he's not the only one..but because that rarely happens I won't bet on his chances.Plus after Fed already losing to him,you can be sure he will bring his A game.

Last year it was Haas. This year it could be Gulbis.

Berdych is pretty bad on clay and Nalby is not playing Rolland Garros.

TMF
05-21-2010, 10:46 AM

"The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today. Let us move forward with strong and active faith."
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

JoshDragon
05-21-2010, 10:51 AM

How can Nadal's Wimbledon title be a fluke? He made the finals at Wimbledon 3 times. And Soderling's run to the French Open finals, wasn't a fluke either.

malakas
05-21-2010, 10:54 AM
"The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today. Let us move forward with strong and active faith."
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Doubt is uncomfortable, certainty is ridiculous
-Voltaire

davey25
05-21-2010, 10:54 AM
Soderling is no threat to Federer here. None, zippo, zilch. He is not a difficult matchup for Federer like he arguably is for Nadal. His worst surface by far is clay too, last years run was a fluke in that regard. He did give Federer a couple decent matches before but none on a surface anywhere near this slow. If they play Soderling would be lucky to get one tiebreak. That is all he got last year playing the clay court tournament of his life.

Gulbis would be a bit more of a threat but his beating Federer in a Grand Slam is a long shot at this point.

malakas
05-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Last year it was Haas. This year it could be Gulbis.

Berdych is pretty bad on clay and Nalby is not playing Rolland Garros.

yes it could,as could a lot more players.The gap of talent in such a high level is very little,that's why we got upsets.I just don't think that Gulbis is someone every Fedfan should fear about and classify Fed's draw as hard because of him.Just my 2 cents.

Li Ching Yuen
05-21-2010, 10:59 AM
yes it could,as could a lot more players.The gap of talent in such a high level is very little,that's why we got upsets.I just don't think that Gulbis is someone every Fedfan should fear about and classify Fed's draw as hard because of him.Just my 2 cents.

I agree.

It's like this

Nadal
Federer
Gulbis, Ferrer
Verdasco, Soderling, Murray, Almagro
The big chunk of the field.

haha, who the hell are these guys?

/end.

malakas
05-21-2010, 11:00 AM
Interesting that you put Soderling at that level.One year before you would have put him in the big chunk of the field under subcategory pitiful chockers.;-)

TMF
05-21-2010, 11:01 AM
Doubt is uncomfortable, certainty is ridiculous
-Voltaire

You are disrespecting the wisdom of our president. Shame on you!

viduka0101
05-21-2010, 11:04 AM
I agree.

It's like this

Nadal
Federer
Gulbis, Ferrer
Verdasco, Soderling, Murray, Almagro
The big chunk of the field.

haha, who the hell are these guys?

/end.

Murray in there and no Djokovic?
forget Djokovic, Murray in this list?
and Gulbis above Verdasco

malakas
05-21-2010, 11:05 AM
You are disrespecting the wisdom of our president. Shame on you!

:( :(
(you should have thrown in a couple jokes for Greece economic situation to make it better.)

viduka0101
05-21-2010, 11:06 AM
I'm just wondering will people call it an upset if Gasquet beats Murray in the first round
(I won't:neutral:)

bizarre_opinion
05-21-2010, 11:09 AM
wow, fed and nadal got the easiest draw, what a total joke. I guess i'll just have to boycott the french open.

Li Ching Yuen
05-21-2010, 11:10 AM
Interesting that you put Soderling at that level.One year before you would have put him in the big chunk of the field under subcategory pitiful chockers.;-)

Because he was there at the time

/triplewink.

Li Ching Yuen
05-21-2010, 11:11 AM
Murray in there and no Djokovic?
forget Djokovic, Murray in this list?
and Gulbis above Verdasco

I omitted Djokovic, he is in a slump at the moment, so yeah, he belongs in that group with Murray and the others.

Gulbis is better than Verdasco, of course.

viduka0101
05-21-2010, 11:15 AM
I omitted Djokovic, he is in a slump at the moment, so yeah, he belongs in that group with Murray and the others.
Murray only gets relatively deep runs at clay tournaments because of his high ranking,he hardly beats anyone worth mentioning on clay
Djokovic is in a slump but that doesn't matter, he didn't forget how to play great tennis
and no JCF in the list
come on!

no he isn't

viduka0101
05-21-2010, 11:18 AM
wow, fed and nadal got the easiest draw, what a total joke. I guess i'll just have to boycott the french open.

you'll have to boycott the french because Federer and Nadal have the easiest(out of all possible) draws?:-?

Li Ching Yuen
05-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Murray only gets relatively deep runs at clay tournaments because of his high ranking,he hardly beats anyone worth mentioning on clay
Djokovic is in a slump but that doesn't matter, he didn't forget how to play great tennis
and no JCF in the list
come on!

no he isn't

That was for the way I see it AT THE MOMENT.

I didn't make that hierarchy for the whole year.

It's the way things are on the 21th of May of 2010 on clay.
Ferrero is in the same league with Bellucci and Gasquet and those other CLAY giants.

I did omitt Wawrinka which is a pretty decent player on clay.

julianf
05-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Rafa was amazing in 08 and both Nico and Nando are better players now.

And didn't Verdasco get a 6-0, 6-1 beatdown in MC just a couple weeks ago?

bizarre_opinion
05-21-2010, 11:33 AM
you'll have to boycott the french because Federer and Nadal have the easiest(out of all possible) draws?:-?

i don't really like nadal or federer and them having an easy draw is the first big step towards them getting to the finals, not guaranteed, but a big chance that they will meet. I didn't watch much of wimbledon last year too, thought whats the point? fed's most likely going to win it anyway.

Tennis needs new guys stepping up and winning sh*t. Del potro winning US open last year was excellent, but he's out as of injury. I just hope gulbis and djokovic can do some damage.

jamesblakefan#1
05-21-2010, 12:15 PM
Yes! Andy is in the QF this year..

I mean ferrer beat him in the fifth 8:6, in Madrid, in 2008(Andys worst year)

Roddick's not beating Ferrer on clay. You can get that dream out of your head right now.

jamesblakefan#1
05-21-2010, 12:17 PM

Seriously? Sod is Fed's whipping boy, and Gulbis could be a tough match but realistically has no shot at beating Fed in a best of 5 match. That match in Rome was the perfect example of the kind of match Fed would've pulled out in 5 sets in a slam. Also I think Fed has enough of a handle on Gulbis' game that he can easily take him out if they meet here.

AndyArodRoddick
05-21-2010, 12:23 PM
Roddick's not beating Ferrer on clay. You can get that dream out of your head right now.

yeah, right. losing 8:6 in madrid, at andys worst form ever does not mean anything ?

bolo
05-21-2010, 12:23 PM
Seriously? Sod is Fed's whipping boy, and Gulbis could be a tough match but realistically has no shot at beating Fed in a best of 5 match. That match in Rome was the perfect example of the kind of match Fed would've pulled out in 5 sets in a slam. Also I think Fed has enough of a handle on Gulbis' game that he can easily take him out if they meet here.

Gulbis needs to be top 5/10 before he has a shot at someone like fed. in the near future. Soderling has a better shot at federer than gulbis right now.

AndyArodRoddick
05-21-2010, 12:26 PM
Gulbis needs to be top 5/10 before he has a shot at someone like fed. in the near future. Soderling has a better shot at federer than gulbis right now.

agree with you. ernie is in top 3 at my favorite players but cmon, the guy is soo overhyped in this forum with 2-3 decent tournaments.

devila
05-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Tomatoes are a good nutritious source of lutein.
Good for the prostate & balls.
Federer, in contrast, has a lemon-sucking face.
After last year's nightmarish Borefest, it's a gift to give Nadal another trophy.
No one else has a brain cell to win without receiving charity & special treatment.

jamesblakefan#1
05-21-2010, 12:28 PM
yeah, right. losing 8:6 in madrid, at andys worst form ever does not mean anything ?

And Roddick's in great form now? With a grand total of 0 CC warmup matches, and losing to unheralded Ouanna in an exho?

Contrast that w/ Ferrer who leads the ATP in CC wins this season...yeah, Rod has no chance of beating him. None.

Hell he should just save himself the trouble, win 1-2 matches (if he can), then go straight away to England to start preparing for Wimby. Pull out w/ another 'illness' if he can. :)

AndyArodRoddick
05-21-2010, 12:31 PM
And Roddick's in great form now? With a grand total of 0 CC warmup matches, and losing to unheralded Ouanna in an exho?

Contrast that w/ Ferrer who leads the ATP in CC wins this season...yeah, Rod has no chance of beating him. None.

Hell he should just save himself the trouble, win 1-2 matches (if he can), then go straight away to England to start preparing for Wimby. Pull out w/ another 'illness' if he can. :)

Andy just beat Youzhny 6:3, 6:2, who is OK CC player..
I read that Andy played very good against Ouanna..just didnt took it seriously, tried everything etc...If Roddick beat Youzhny 3 and 2, than he couldve beat this ouanna guy 1 and 2. We'll see.

//PS: Last year he also had 2 matches before FO so he's in exact same spot basically.

davey25
05-21-2010, 12:32 PM
I would be surprised if Roddick even reaches the round of 16 to get spanked by Ferrer. Niemienen, Schwank, and Monaco are all tricky opponents on clay for someone like Roddick. I would be especialy surprised if he beats Monaco if they play.

AndyArodRoddick
05-21-2010, 12:35 PM
I would be surprised if Roddick even reaches the round of 16 to get spanked by Ferrer. Niemienen, Schwank, and Monaco are all tricky opponents on clay for someone like Roddick. I would be especialy surprised if he beats Monaco if they play.

Well, OK.

Monaco isnt nowhere near his 08-09 level. His form is terrible. Losing to Hanescu, DGT and Berrer does not say anything good about him.

Its just my opinion that we all will be surprised with Andys CC game. Great topspin FH, can hit flat FH with huge pace, solid bh, movement is kind a bad but improved + top 3 serve.

jamesblakefan#1
05-21-2010, 12:36 PM
Andy just beat Youzhny 6:3, 6:2, who is OK CC player..
I read that Andy played very good against Ouanna..just didnt took it seriously, tried everything etc...If Roddick beat Youzhny 3 and 2, than he couldve beat this ouanna guy 1 and 2. We'll see.

//PS: Last year he also had 2 matches before FO so he's in exact same spot basically.

And last year he had a joke of a draw and got beat by the first good CCer he faced. I'd expect the same this year - he's not getting past Ferrer. Just not a good matchup, as Ferrer's strength is returning, which neutralizes Roddick's serve even more than it already is on clay. Ferrer will win in 3 sets if they play. Not even worth debating.

AndyArodRoddick
05-21-2010, 12:37 PM
And last year he had a joke of a draw and got beat by the first good CCer he faced. I'd expect the same this year - he's not getting past Ferrer. Just not a good matchup, as Ferrer's strength is returning, which neutralizes Roddick's serve even more than it already is on clay. Ferrer will win in 3 sets if they play. Not even worth debating.

Lets just wait and see. I dont know why i am so confident, but lets see..

bolo
05-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Well, OK.

Monaco isnt nowhere near his 08-09 level. His form is terrible. Losing to Hanescu, DGT and Berrer does not say anything good about him.

Its just my opinion that we all will be surprised with Andys CC game. Great topspin FH, can hit flat FH with huge pace, solid bh, movement is kind a bad but improved + top 3 serve.

at least superficially roddick's should be a good clay courter now. :) But he doesn't have a good way to end points on the surface. Even when he was going big versus nadal, I saw some cracks begin to appear in the FH and the best of 5 situation is bad for that. What are nieminen's results this year?

Turbo
05-21-2010, 12:45 PM
Yep, Nadal will take out the people Fed would have had trouble with and vice versa... although I think Fed vs. Gulbis or Soderling will be a closer match than Nadal vs. Verdasco or Almagro.

This year, I'm just feeling like there will be an upset, even though I'd like to see a Federer vs. Nadal final

AndyArodRoddick
05-21-2010, 12:52 PM
at least superficially roddick's should be a good clay courter now. :) But he doesn't have a good way to end points on the surface. Even when he was going big versus nadal, I saw some cracks begin to appear in the FH and the best of 5 situation is bad for that. What are nieminen's results this year?

Nieminen should go down in straights for sure. No results this year basically to show off.

GoaLaSSo
05-21-2010, 12:55 PM
I didn't read the previous pages, but im gonna call murray loses to bagdhatis (sp?)

Li Ching Yuen
05-21-2010, 12:57 PM
Nieminen should go down in straights for sure. No results this year basically to show off.

I think you're the most heated Roddick fan I have ever seen.

AndyArodRoddick
05-21-2010, 12:58 PM
I think you're the best heated Roddick fan I have ever seen.

Thanks.

Whats the schedule ? Federer to play on day 1 ? Right?

P_Agony
05-21-2010, 01:17 PM

Yeah, Richard always gets tough 1st rounds, usually delivers a great match, but losses at the end.

Hitman
05-21-2010, 01:23 PM
Yeah, Richard always gets tough 1st rounds, usually delivers a great match, but losses at the end.

I have to agree with you there.

pound cat
05-21-2010, 01:29 PM
Federer was wearing a blue polo shirt during his practice to-day. (eurosport.co.uk) and talking about how much he would like to meet Rafa in the final.

Funny thing, he was wearing a blue polo shirt when he lost to Nadal in 5 sets in 2006.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GPiVsJKB99g/SYw1qJXinvI/AAAAAAAAB-k/w_fqNrfbEOE/s400/2.jpg

jamesblakefan#1
05-21-2010, 01:40 PM
^^^that was 4 sets not 5.

norbac
05-21-2010, 02:06 PM

Yup, they're actually showing the match tonight on TTC.

pound cat
05-21-2010, 02:07 PM

LOL...and I just watched it the other day...too much tennis... (BTW the entire match is on youtube) Excellent quality.....

JeMar
05-21-2010, 02:28 PM
Did you watch the french last year?

Uh, did you?

R.1: Spaniard Martin
R.2: Argentinian Acasuso
R.3: Frenchman Mathieu
R.4: German Haas
QF: Frenchman Monfils
SF: Argentinian Del Potro
F: Swede Soderling

Out of all those players, only Soderling, Haas, and Del Potro aren't considered clay courters. Also, Del Potro, at that point in time, was thought of to be about as good on clay as on a hard court. It wasn't until he won the U.S. Open that he sorta shed that title.

Pretty much all those guys, except for maybe Soderling and maybe Haas were raised on clay courts.

CanadianChic
05-21-2010, 02:34 PM
Tsonga will make it to the final against Nadal.

djokovicgonzalez2010
05-21-2010, 02:34 PM
Who's out? Because there's a LL already

CanadianChic
05-21-2010, 02:36 PM
Probably Djok. He heard it was hot and dry over there.

jamesblakefan#1
05-21-2010, 02:46 PM

Tsonga? The French is still on clay right?

JeMar
05-21-2010, 02:51 PM

It's been red hard courts for the past couple of years. Did you not get the memo?

CanadianChic
05-21-2010, 02:57 PM

I always have a long shot. The only real immediate competition I see for him are the Spaniards. Fed won't make it to the finals (nerves), neither will Djokovic (illness) or Roddick (fast food the night before), etc., and the others have more stiff competition in the early rounds to tire them out. Mark my words, Tsonga will make his mark...mind you I think Nadal will obliterate him in the final.

Big_Dangerous
05-21-2010, 03:11 PM
I always have a long shot. The only real immediate competition I see for him are the Spaniards. Fed won't make it to the finals (nerves), neither will Djokovic (illness) or Roddick (fast food the night before), etc., and the others have more stiff competition in the early rounds to tire them out. Mark my words, Tsonga will make his mark...mind you I think Nadal will obliterate him in the final.

Really Fed's nerves? The guy has made it to the finals of every slam the last two years, I don't think his nerves are going to be a problem.

CanadianChic
05-21-2010, 03:16 PM
Really Fed's nerves? The guy has made it to the finals of every slam the last two years, I don't think his nerves are going to be a problem.

I disagree my friend. I believe the crowd will be behind Nadal and as hard as he tries to hide it, Nadal is his Achilles Heel. He hasn't overcome his mental block yet in this area (where it used to be confined to clay, it appears to affect him on all surfaces). My opinion. :)

Big_Dangerous
05-21-2010, 03:19 PM
I disagree my friend. I believe the crowd will be behind Nadal and as hard as he tries to hide it, Nadal is his Achilles Heel. He hasn't overcome his mental block yet in this area (where it used to be confined to clay, it appears to affect him on all surfaces). My opinion. :)

Yeah but you do realize Nadal can not possible play Federer until the Finals... That's not a compelling reason why Federer will go out before the finals. There's plenty of Fed fans out there that will root for him. They want to see Fed v Nadal, so there's no way in any match that the crowd is rooting against Federer save for maybe Tsonga, and even then I doubt it will have much effect. He's made the finals there the last what 5 years? I think he knows how hostile the crowd might be.

CanadianChic
05-21-2010, 03:23 PM
Yeah but you do realize Nadal can not possible play Federer until the Finals... That's not a compelling reason why Federer will go out before the finals. There's plenty of Fed fans out there that will root for him. They want to see Fed v Nadal, so there's no way in any match that the crowd is rooting against Federer save for maybe Tsonga, and even then I doubt it will have much effect. He's made the finals there the last what 5 years? I think he knows how hostile the crowd might be.

I don't disagree with you in theory. But...there have been far lesser players than whom he may potentially face in the later rounds who have taken him out early in recent tournaments. Although he wouldn't face Nadal until the final I still believe his nerves will get the better of him. I believe I have him going to the quarters in this site's draw though. I just have a 'gut' feeling he won't go farther and cannot foresee illness or injury being the cause of his demise. Sometimes Fed's own worst enemy out there is Fed.

Big_Dangerous
05-21-2010, 03:38 PM
I don't disagree with you in theory. But...there have been far lesser players than whom he may potentially face in the later rounds who have taken him out early in recent tournaments. Although he wouldn't face Nadal until the final I still believe his nerves will get the better of him. I believe I have him going to the quarters in this site's draw though. I just have a 'gut' feeling he won't go farther and cannot foresee illness or injury being the cause of his demise. Sometimes Fed's own worst enemy out there is Fed.

Yeah but there's a lot of guys out there who can say that they've beaten him in lesser tournaments but there's not many that can say they took him down in a major. It's been a long time since he didn't make the finals at a major, and I'm not so sure I see that happening. He gears up for these slams in a huge way. I just can't see him not making the finals at least.

CanadianChic
05-21-2010, 03:40 PM
Yeah but there's a lot of guys out there who can say that they've beaten him in lesser tournaments but there's not many that can say they took him down in a major. It's been a long time since he didn't make the finals at a major, and I'm not so sure I see that happening. He gears up for these slams in a huge way. I just can't see him not making the finals at least.

He may very well do just that. My intuition tells me it won't happen though. It will be interesting to see it play out for sure.

Sandwichman
05-21-2010, 03:42 PM
Wow, Fed should make at least semis pretty easily, clinch the weeks at number one record. I can't see anyone beating Nadal, though. He's just playing too well atm. Djoker and Murray are a toss up. Roddick should get to at least the 4R, but imo his run stops there with David Ferrer.

Omega_7000
05-21-2010, 04:08 PM

no he isn't

Yes he is!

malakas
05-21-2010, 04:14 PM
Yes he is!

no he isn't.

djokovicgonzalez2010
05-21-2010, 04:41 PM
Hard to judge due to age difference, but (for now)
Dasco is better

cucio
05-21-2010, 05:16 PM

That's a dark horse all right, if you put your money where your intuition is and you are right you could probably treat us TWers to some mighty moose barbecue.

Big_Dangerous
05-21-2010, 06:11 PM
Wow, Fed should make at least semis pretty easily, clinch the weeks at number one record. I can't see anyone beating Nadal, though. He's just playing too well atm. Djoker and Murray are a toss up. Roddick should get to at least the 4R, but imo his run stops there with David Ferrer.

Yeah I agree with that. I really like David Ferrer to make a nice run in this tourney as well.

Li Ching Yuen
05-21-2010, 06:15 PM
no he isn't.

btw...it's ON CLAY, he is better than Verdasco on clay.

Verdasco is overrated on clay, he is much better on hard courts. He simply had these great results in the spring because the field is incredibly pathetic at the moment on clay.

djokovicgonzalez2010
05-21-2010, 06:17 PM
True, but you could say the same of Gulbis

Li Ching Yuen
05-21-2010, 06:20 PM
True, but you could say the same of Gulbis

No no, Gulbis is on the rise, no matter the surface.

He started in the last months by winning his first tournament on hard courts.
Gulbis has just started playing tennis, his tennis. With new coach, and him getting fit and all. He's in the bussiness so to speak. He showed some glimpses of what he might do but this is the real start.

2slik
05-21-2010, 06:21 PM
Who would win between Nadal and Murray bearing in mind what happened at AO 2010?

vortex1
05-21-2010, 06:26 PM
Who would win between Nadal and Murray bearing in mind what happened at AO 2010?

on RG clay, considering Murray's recent form Nadal in straights.

2slik
05-21-2010, 06:27 PM
on RG clay, considering Murray's recent form Nadal in straights.
but RG is a slow court like the AO

gold soundz
05-21-2010, 06:28 PM

But it's clay. Nadal would destroy Murray.

vortex1
05-21-2010, 06:29 PM

AO is still HC though. RG is clay. Can't really compare them. If you're trying to suggest that Murray has a chance to beat Nadal because he would be nervous or scared because of AO, it's very doubtful.

Buckethead
05-21-2010, 06:36 PM
I said on another post about clay tournaments that, slow Clay surfaces are becoming a territory for big hitters.Why??
Because they can move well,aren't fast,and still got the Cannons weather it's on serve or ground strokes,and as they don't move well the slow surface make it easier for them to get to the balls on time and be just ready to fire the Cannons.That's what happened to Del Potro,Soderling last year and more recently Gulbis.And they are all tall with 2 handers as well.
I do agree Fed and Nadal in best of 5 are tough to beat and I think both will get to the fianls.

Big_Dangerous
05-21-2010, 06:38 PM
Looking at Murray's draw, any chance he goes out early? Gasquet in the first round isn't an easy match. Gasquet has actually had limited success head to head against murray and he's played more on clay.

Buckethead
05-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Looking at Murray's draw, any chance he goes out early? Gasquet in the first round isn't an easy match. Gasquet has actually had limited success head to head against murray and he's played more on clay.

Dickie Gasquet will knock him out on the 1st round.Just wait for.By Wednesday Murray will be back in England training for Wimby.

Big_Dangerous
05-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Dickie Gasquet will knock him out on the 1st round.Just wait for.By Wednesday Murray will be back in England training for Wimby.

Yeah it's a tough call, I can actually see that happening. If he does get by Gasquet, he shouldn't have a problem until the quarters, but man I hate to pick an upset that early.

Ambivalent
05-21-2010, 06:55 PM
Nadal's draw doesnt look bad at all. The spaniards usually roll over for him, and Hewitt and Ljubicic are way past their prime.

Buckethead
05-21-2010, 07:00 PM
Nadal's draw doesnt look bad at all. The spaniards usually roll over for him, and Hewitt and Ljubicic are way past their prime.
Easiest draw of all.As if he needed.

OTMPut
05-21-2010, 08:35 PM

He has the easiest draw possible. Just like the 08 Wimbledon draw.

Justdoit10
05-21-2010, 09:04 PM
no he isn't.
yes he is 8). jk but seriously Gulbis is far more impressive than Verdasco. He posted up competitive matches against Nadal and Federer. Verdasco was handed a bagel and breadstick.

Spider
05-21-2010, 09:21 PM

No chance. Gasquet although good won't beat Murray.

Lol. Murray won't be coming back until Friday (4th June 2010).

volleynets
05-23-2010, 10:02 PM

And he had Nadal in first round USO 2009..