PDA

View Full Version : French Open Women's Draw

jamesblakefan#1
05-21-2010, 02:28 AM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4009/4626004269_2762e3f0be_o.jpg

Serena has Henin, Sharapova, Stosur, Zheng, Bartoli, Pavyluchenkova, Peer in her Quarter.

Venus has Rezai, MJMS, Petrova, Azarenka, K Bondarenko, Dementieva, and Cibulkova in her Quarter. (and a tough 1R w/ Schnyder)

Wozniacki has Kuznetsova, Safarova, Pennetta, Kirilenko, Schiavone, Li Na, and Dhugheru in her quarter.

Jankovic has Safina, Radwanska, Wickmayer, Zvonareva, Kleybanova, Hantuchova, and A Bondarenko in her Quarter.

vortex1
05-21-2010, 02:58 AM
Henin has Serena in QF. Should be a good match.

MotherMarjorie
05-21-2010, 03:00 AM
Oh, yes. Mother Marjorie thinks that sweet baby jesus has bestowed another great QF outing for Henin-SJ Williams.

"POP!" says the crystal ball!

aphex
05-21-2010, 03:03 AM
there's a women's draw??

jamesblakefan#1
05-21-2010, 03:08 AM
What I see:

-Venus tough 1R w/ Schnyder. Never an easy matchup, Venus has to bring her best stuff or else she may be looking at another disappointing stay in Paris. I think she'll pull it out, but you never know.

-Kuznetsova will go out early once again as defending champ, if not R1 then R2. I'd be surprised if she got to the 2nd week. Cirstea could give her trouble, and Petkovic/Vesnina 2R could spell an upset as well.

-Dulko should beat injured Azarenka

-Safina should start her prayers now, and hope her back holds up and the draw opens up if she wants to somehow reach the 2nd week.

I see QF

Serena-Henin
Jankovic-Radwanska
Schiavone or Kirilenko vs Pennetta or Safarova
Petrova vs MJMS

The winner of Serena-Henin takes the title IMO.

PSNELKE
05-21-2010, 03:11 AM
you shouldn´t forget that ivanovic is in Jankovic´s quarter .too.

My QF picks:
Serena-Henin
Jankovic-Ivanovic
Kuznetsova vs Safarova
Venus vs MJMS

jamesblakefan#1
05-21-2010, 03:23 AM
there's a women's draw??

Yeah, I'm sorry, they let the women out of the kitchen these days Archie. :rolleyes:

aphex
05-21-2010, 03:36 AM
Yeah, I'm sorry, they let the women out of the kitchen these days Archie. :rolleyes:

oh come on...don't become the Teyko of feminism, seeing insults where there are none...
i was just referring to the low level of play...jeez...

soyizgood
05-21-2010, 03:58 AM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4009/4626004269_2762e3f0be_o.jpg

Serena has Henin, Sharapova, Stosur, Zheng, Bartoli, Pavyluchenkova, Peer in her Quarter.

Venus has Rezai, MJMS, Petrova, Azarenka, K Bondarenko, Dementieva, and Cibulkova in her Quarter. (and a tough 1R w/ Schnyder)

Wozniacki has Kuznetsova, Safarova, Pennetta, Kirilenko, Schiavone, Li Na, and Dhugheru in her quarter.

Jankovic has Safina, Radwanska, Wickmayer, Zvonareva, Kleybanova, Hantuchova, and A Bondarenko in her Quarter.

Might as well pick a name out of a hat. Seriously, there is nobody that spells "surefire" going into the French.

Wozniacki's section is practically guaranteed to have someone other than her come out of it. It wouldn't shock me to see Safarova in the SF (Heck, who could have predicted Stosur and Cibulkova last year?)

Jankovic will need some help (ie some upsets) to get through her group. This has pesky counter-punchers, brainless (but dangerous when on) ball bashers, and a few that actually can play on clay.

Venus has been very consistent this year, even on clay. We'll see if she can keep this up. Petrova seems to be good to lose in the 4th/QF while Rezai can either be dreadful or deadly.

Serena's draw is a little tougher than it looks. Henin is definitely a threat to her, but Serena's conditioning will be a factor.

seffina
05-21-2010, 04:00 AM
Tough draw for the sisters, but there should be some great matches. I hope Serena/Henin develops.

jamesblakefan#1
05-21-2010, 04:30 AM
oh come on...don't become the Teyko of feminism, seeing insults where there are none...
i was just referring to the low level of play...jeez...

Still there's enough WTA bashing on here don't you think? No need for the snarky comments.

Marius_Hancu
05-21-2010, 04:36 AM
Henin, as Federer, has the toughest draw.

jamesblakefan#1
05-21-2010, 04:43 AM
Henin should breeze the 1st 2 rounds to set up a match w/ Sharapova - I sense some pastries in that one. After that Stosur could be tricky, but Henin should be dialed in by then and advance. Then Serena-Henin - all depends on who's in better form. If Serena can get into a rhythm and get a few good performances, it might be another close match ala AO final.

Mick
05-21-2010, 04:53 AM

it looks pretty tough right now but reality is most of these players won't have to face these projected opponents due to upsets.

vortex1
05-21-2010, 04:58 AM
I don't think Henin has a tough draw. Sharapova sucks on clay. Stosur is overrated and Serena's form is questionable. Jankovic had to be exhausted from overplaying recently. I think Justine can win comfortably. In fact all the pushers that could potentially wear her out like Wozniacki are not in her draw.

15-0
05-21-2010, 05:56 AM
QFs:
Serena, Stosur
Jankovic, Ivanovic
Kuznetsova, Pennetta
MJMS, Venus

Semis:
Stosur, Jankovic
Pennetta, Venus

Final:
Stosur, Venus

Winner:
Stosur...

WOW, this 2nd half is open...
1st half is tough...

AndyArodRoddick
05-21-2010, 06:00 AM
Haha, watch out Kaia Kanepi, guys! This girl has such a HUGE game and can beat anyone..she is mental midget, and thats her only problem..she did beat henin in apirl and now won her last two qualifying matches 6:0;6:1 and 6:0;6:0...

Underhand
05-21-2010, 06:00 AM

I guess they choked even making a sandwich.

dcdoorknob
05-21-2010, 06:02 AM
Draw definitely seems a little top heavy, like that girl Halep used to be.

Tough draws for Stosur, Henin, Serena.

Venus has a real opportunity, but who knows with her and clay.

THUNDERVOLLEY
05-21-2010, 06:18 AM
it looks pretty tough right now but reality is most of these players won't have to face these projected opponents due to upsets.

Agreed; the common assumption that the veterans or stars are guaranteed to go deep into the event is flawed at the moment. For all we know, Sharapova could play the match of her life and beat Henin, Hantuchova could remain calm, and take out Jankovic, or Stosur (underwhelming as she is in the grand scheme of the game) could win the entire thing. Anything is possible.

bezs
05-21-2010, 06:55 AM
Stosur got a tough draw was hoping she would go far.

Mick
05-21-2010, 07:14 AM
i pity whoever plays rezai considering how hard she hits the ball, she is in good form coming in, and she got the support of the french crowd (since she's french) :)

GhostDog
05-21-2010, 08:55 AM
Sucks that Cljisters had to pull out. One of the few women on tour worth watching.

jamesblakefan#1
05-21-2010, 11:58 AM
i pity whoever plays rezai considering how hard she hits the ball, she is in good form coming in, and she got the support of the french crowd (since she's french) :)

I don't see Rezai making the QF. She had a good run in Madrid, but the conditions in RG are a lot different (not to mention the added pressure of the French crowd/media, which always seems to bring players down a bit). Plus I'm not convinced after 1 good week she's some CC queen now.

TMF
05-21-2010, 12:03 PM

I think this time Henin will make sure Serena will not complain like she did in 2003. She will beat her in straight sets and get out of the court as quickly as possible.

davey25
05-21-2010, 12:34 PM
I remember there being alot of talk of Rezai as a big up and comer at the start of the decade but she really hasnt lived up to expectations.

Hitman
05-21-2010, 02:09 PM
I really hope we get Serena v Justine.

MotherMarjorie
05-21-2010, 08:43 PM
For all we know, Sharapova could play the match of her life and beat Henin.
Mother Marjorie thinks that very wishful thinking on your part. Given that Maria is still trying to recover and its her worst playing surface, most people don't see that match-up as being overly competitive.

davey25
05-21-2010, 09:32 PM
He didnt say it was at all likely to happen. Just that this is a very wide open French with usual clay court leader Henin not showing her best yet since her comeback, Serena not being on her best surface, Venus obviously not on her best surface, and the examining the rest of the field. Alot of different things could happen, not all of them that likely to, but be prepared for alot of possabilities. This is one of the hardest slams to handicap for awhile.

If I were forced to pick a winner here it would probably still be Henin, but free of such an option I dont feel comfortable enough to even make a small money wager on anyone at this point. Even a Martinez Sanchez or Rezai, or more likely a Stosur or Petrova like dark horse, winning it all this year wouldnt shock me. I am not predicting it, but it wouldnt surprise me all that much, and nearly any other slam it would have. Based on the performances of all the women of late though and the surface that sort of thing could even happen here though.

MotherMarjorie
05-22-2010, 12:27 AM
http://beat.bodoglife.com/sports/tennis-odds-women%E2%80%99s-french-open-preview-67093.html

Tennis Odds: Women’s French Open Preview
by Allen James | May 22nd, 2010

http://beat.bodoglife.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/justine-henin.jpg

Justine Henin is the queen of Roland Garros.

It’s not too often – if ever – that the No. 22 seed in a Grand Slam tournament will be the betting favorite, but that’s the case for the French Open, which begins Sunday in Paris. Wager on it with Bodog’s tennis odds.

That No. 22 would be Justine Henin, who is the 7/4 favorite on Bodog. Henin hasn’t been back from retirement that long (she stepped aside right before the 2008 French and was away 20 months), so that’s why she is ranked so low. But she won three straight French Opens before her retirement and this is the first one she has played in since coming back. Overall she has won four titles at Roland Garros (2003, ’05, ’06, ’07).

This French Open will be Henin's second Grand Slam since her return, having reached the Australian Open final in January, when she lost to rival Serena Williams. And Serena is the second favorite on Bodog’s tennis odds at 5/1. However, since winning this tournament for the first time back in back in 2002, Serena hasn’t even reached the final again. That also goes for sister Venus (9/1) since she lost that ’02 final to Serena. No American woman has won this tournament since Serena. She and Henin, by the way, would meet in the quarterfinals if form holds.

The defending champion is Svetlana Kuznetsova (25/1), who beat Dinara Safina in straight sets in 2009 – Safina has lost in the championship match the past two years (previously to Ana Ivanovic, who has fallen off the map). Kuznetsova is a good clay-court player, as she also has been a runner-up and semifinalist in Paris during her career.

THUNDERVOLLEY
05-22-2010, 05:37 AM
Mother Marjorie thinks that very wishful thinking on your part. Given that Maria is still trying to recover and its her worst playing surface, most people don't see that match-up as being overly competitive.

He didnt say it was at all likely to happen. Just that this is a very wide open French with usual clay court leader Henin not showing her best yet since her comeback, Serena not being on her best surface, Venus obviously not on her best surface, and the examining the rest of the field. Alot of different things could happen, not all of them that likely to, but be prepared for alot of possabilities. This is one of the hardest slams to handicap for awhile.

Exactly, which is why I clearly stated Sharapova would have to play the match of her life; anything less would not result in a victory. Mumsy should have picked up on so clear a statement.

If I were forced to pick a winner here it would probably still be Henin, but free of such an option I dont feel comfortable enough to even make a small money wager on anyone at this point. Even a Martinez Sanchez or Rezai, or more likely a Stosur or Petrova like dark horse, winning it all this year wouldnt shock me. I am not predicting it, but it wouldnt surprise me all that much, and nearly any other slam it would have. Based on the performances of all the women of late though and the surface that sort of thing could even happen here though.

Agreed, and even Venus-the one player just about everyone has criticized for her history of underwhelming performaces on clay--has recently displayed strong form, so there are no guarantees or easy to predict outcomes.

davey25
05-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Yeah I find it hard to believe I am saying this but Venus actually might have a shot here. She is playing her best clay court tennis in years, since 2004 atleast. She has nothing to lose, yet at the same time will feel a sense of urgency since I am sure she knows this is her last chance ever at the French. Lastly she got a great draw. Henin, Serena, Jankovic, and most of the secondary contenders all on the other side. I would love to see her somehow win it or atleast make a run deep.

callmethedoctor
05-22-2010, 11:58 AM
Don't count out Rezai, Martinez Sanchez, or Dementieva just yet- they're in her quarter. Rezai is on a hot streak and Martinez Sanchez is a dark horse on clay.

There's also Schnyder, Cibulkova, and Petrova in her 8th of the draw. Not that they will likely beat Venus but it's harder than it looks at first glance for someone who could break down if too many balls start coming back... *echem her forehand on clay*

Sharapova and Venus are doing very well this clay court season. They are forces to be reckoned with, along with Stosur, Schiavone, Na, Wozniacki, Kunzetsova, Radwanska, Rezai, as well as top favorites like Henin, Serena, Jankovic.

Much more up in the air than the men's draw.

jamesblakefan#1
05-22-2010, 01:28 PM
I have Petrova knocking out Venus. She seems to be the most consistent of the Russians lately, had a good season beating Clijsters in Australia and Serena in Madrid, seems to be in good form, and overall I'd say she's the better CCer than Venus. So yeah I see Venus going out there if those two were to meet.

davey25
05-22-2010, 01:34 PM
Petrova is a headcase with a capital H, especialy in the slams. She might be the biggest headcase and underachiever of all the Russians and that is saying something. If she plays Venus she might end up serving for the match at 5-3 or 5-2 in the 2nd or 3rd sets but still end up losing. It would only be the 20th time or so that has happened to her in a slam, many times vs less imposing opponents. As I said I think Venus realizes full well this is her last realistic chance ever here so will play with some extra urgency. Still probably wont be enough to win the title but she will be a tougher out than usual in Paris perhaps.

jamesblakefan#1
05-22-2010, 01:49 PM
Like I said, she's been more consistent this year w/ the win over Clijsters in Australia, and just beat Serena in Madrid. She had a good CC warmup season making QF of every event she entered, beat Serena in Madrid...I'm not saying she's winning the tournament or anything, but certainly on this surface I'd put her as a favorite over Venus. As far as choking, you can say that on anyone on tour, even Serena choked in Rome vs Jankovic, and Venus choked at AO vs Na Li, granted Petrova has a longer history of choking, but I think she's more confident on this surface and wouldn't choke vs Venus. That's just my opinion, but we'll see.

fedhingis515
05-22-2010, 02:05 PM
Venus has a great chance, but I REALLY don't wanna root for because every time I do she disappoints me in the most horrendous ways. Australia this year, Wimbledon last year, US Open 2008...

boredone3456
05-22-2010, 02:48 PM
This is kind of wide open. Henin isn't playing solid, she won Madrid then flops in her next clay match (even if she was injured...a bagel??), its really tough to call it.

But my QF matchups would be

Williams or Peer vs Henin or Stosur - Tough bracket for Sam, who has been playing so well lately. If Henin is playing Well Sam is going to lose a lot of points here, but its a shot. Serena hasn't been playing that great of late, and Peer could prove a spoiler there.

Jankovic vs Ivanovic, Safina or Aga - Jelena has a tough opener in Molik, a former top ten player and doubles champ here, but I can see her getting through it and Wickmayer and pretty solidly into the QF. The other half of her quarter is wide open, no one is playing knock out or close to it, but I think Jelena will make the Semi's no matter who comes out

Schiavone vs Pennetta or Safarova- Kuzzy will go out early, and Li is not stellar on clay. Pennetta and Safarova are both dark horse runners here, Safarova seems to have found her old magic, and Pennetta's biggest success seem to favor clay, I think its possible we could see an all italian QF matchup here.

Dementieva or MJMS vs Rezai or Petrova- Venus, while a threat, has a tricky first around against a good clay courter in schnyder, Cibulkova could be tricky for her to, and Rezai just beat her, and Petrova is also a strong clay courter and 2 time Semi-finalist here. Venus could break through..but I don't see it happening. Up above, Dementieva and MJMS are the faves. Dementieva despite her struggles has several titles this yr and is a former finalist, with Vika ailing, she and MJMS could do battle, and it would be a question of who played to their strengths better.

The bottom half is a little threadbare, I think whomever the survivor of the top half is takes the title.

finals prediction : Henin or Jankovic vs Pennetta, Dementieva, or Petrova (this will probably prove abyssmally wrong given the unpredictability of the WTA hahaha)

vortex1
05-22-2010, 02:53 PM
I hope Henin plays Stosur like the third set in Stuttgart. That was a massive schooling on point construction, angles and shot placement.

MotherMarjorie
05-22-2010, 04:35 PM
This is kind of wide open. Henin isn't playing solid, she won Madrid then flops in her next clay match (even if she was injured...a bagel??)
Henin won Stuttgart, then lost her first match in Madrid, playing with the flu and a broken finger. While the finger is on her left hand, no one expected her to play solid with the flu.

Given Venus' string of tournament finals, Mother Marjorie would love to see Henin vs Venus in the French Open finals. Realistically, this will be Venus' last year of being a serious contender for a French Open title. If it doesn't happen now, its never.

boredone3456
05-22-2010, 05:07 PM
Henin won Stuttgart, then lost her first match in Madrid, playing with the flu and a broken finger. While the finger is on her left hand, no one expected her to play solid with the flu.

Given Venus' string of tournament finals, Mother Marjorie would love to see Henin vs Venus in the French Open finals. Realistically, this will be Venus' last year of being a serious contender for a French Open title. If it doesn't happen now, its never.

Henin hasn't been playing great and even in her win in Stuttgart struggled a lot, and add in the injury and the flu, no one really knows what she will do here, but that being said she is still a heavy favorite. As for Venus/Henin in the final...Don't see it Happening, Venus has done pretty well this season on clay, and this year overall so far actually, but last year she had an ok season on clay and some strong finishes and went out very early at the french with an easier draw then she has this year. There are plenty of people in Venus's half that could take her out/are better on clay then her. Venus will have a fight on her hands from day 1 against Schnyder. Now, I would like to see Venus do well, but make the final...that to me is a bit of a stretch, but this is the WTA...she could well do it. But even if she got there....Henin, Jankovic, Serena all would likely beat her, and Pennetta, Rezai, Petrova, and quite a few others could all knock her out before hand. We'll have to wait and see, I don't see Venus getting past the QF at best...but who knows.

Big_Dangerous
05-22-2010, 05:11 PM
No one has mentioned Wozniacki? Anyone think she can make a deep run? Or am I the only one who picked her to do well at the French?

boredone3456
05-22-2010, 05:25 PM
No one has mentioned Wozniacki? Anyone think she can make a deep run? Or am I the only one who picked her to do well at the French?

Woz is consistent, but clay really isn't a great surface for her at this point. However, she is lucky and is in the bottom half, away from who I would consider the tournament favorites, but after the Australian and the patchiness of her clay Court season...I am not sure what to think of her. She could break through and run to the final...or go out in the first week. I don't think she'll have a problem getting to the 4th rd. Dulgheru or Garbin could give her trouble, but I think Safarova is playing better than her currently on clay, and Pennetta is such a dangerous clay courter, that the winner of that little section will beat Woz. Another great clay courter Schaivone or long shots kuzzy and li (who beat her in Australia), could both knock her out to if she makes the QF. I mean, she is a good defender, and that could help her, but if any of the people I mentioned have a good day and are ripping winners and Woz pulls a single digit winner match...she will likely lose. She has a chance..but not a great one, of winning in my opinion.

vortex1
05-22-2010, 05:45 PM
DO not bet on Wozz. She overplayed and struggling with injuries right now. She played EVERYTHING this clay season and most of her matches ended with retirement.

Mick
05-22-2010, 05:56 PM
wozniacki has an ankle injury, she had to retire in warsaw. they don't know if she would be able to compete at the french open.

Love Game
05-22-2010, 06:03 PM

he shoots ... he scores!!! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_201.gif

Love Game
05-22-2010, 06:18 PM
I remember there being alot of talk of Rezai as a big up and comer at the start of the decade but she really hasnt lived up to expectations.

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/8388/rezaiu.jpg

Post-match interview w/Aravane Rezai after she won Madrid Final 2010, beating V.Williams in straights.

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/video/20100516/rezai-takes-madrid_2256673_2053547

davey25
05-22-2010, 06:25 PM
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/8388/rezaiu.jpg

Post-match interview w/Aravane Rezai after she won Madrid Final 2010, beating V.Williams in straights.

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/video/20100516/rezai-takes-madrid_2256673_2053547

Yeah but you know what I meant. I mean all the years until this point although I guess I should have specified that. What she did in Madrid are what the French thought she would do many years earlier as she had alot of hype around her as an up and comer earlier in the decade.

jodd
05-22-2010, 06:34 PM
The Serena/Henin/Stosur/Pova draw isn't as tough as people make it out to be.

Masha hasn't won a match against a top player all year - the pressure only grows, and her confidence surely has little to feed itself with given the faltering serve and now inconsistent grounstroking.

Bartoli hasn't made it past the 3rd rd. since 2007.

that leaves Stosur, Henin, and Serena. Stosur's in Henin's corner, and if they meet, I can't help but believe that she will manhandled in all kinds of ways by Justine. Great serve and forehand, but also spacey serve and forehand, and just horrible movement/anticipation - so buff yet so slow.

Serena in opening rounds here really is anybody's bet. But I do think the Jankovic match says good things about her desire and her adjustment to the surface.

I want to see a Henin/Serena QF - except with the opposite result of 2007.

I think the more interesting quarter is the Venus/Azarenka/Rezai/Petrova/Martinez-Sanchez/Dementieva. Except for MJMS, each of these women is a bit of a loose cannon, who doesn't really seem to have any way of winning when the A game just won't work. Azarenka's injured so...

A 4th round Venus/Rezai re-match would be nice - especially on a slower surface. I have no idea who would win that match, Venus almost had that 2nd set, but Rezai has suddenly picked up steam. Both have had atrocious losses and solid victories, both are inconsistent.

I'm taking the crazy route and calling a Dementieva/Rezai QF.

THUNDERVOLLEY
05-22-2010, 07:52 PM

She's pretty overrated, and some (not meaning you) sold her as the next, big, slam-winning thing in tennis, but the current view does not seem like the fan-chatter had much merit.

davey25
05-22-2010, 08:04 PM
Woz has done nothing this clay season to indicate she will be a factor here. In addition to needing a bigger game she apparently needs to be smarter about how she schedules. How silly to keep playing endlessly with an obvious injury and ending nearly every event in retirement, yet still playing every week and making it worse. I have no idea what kind of coaching team would ever allow a young player to do that. Well I know what it is probably all about, her new #2 ranking at the time, and her obsession about that overcoming any sense of logic about protecting her body and giving herself a chance to make a full recovery which might have just taken a few weeks and already been completed had she actually been patient.

It seems the WTA tour has become obsessed with the rankings in a bad way. Safina playing with a serious back injury late last year in a desperate attempt to keep a truly hollow (without a slam title to her name) #1 ranking, and ending up missing a whole bunch of time this season as a result and now with her ranking, confidence, and momentum all shot her entire career in danger of plunging to the depths. One reason it is nice to see 2 players who dont take the "be all and end all" approach to the rankings, and care much more about the big events with rankings secondary, are actually to two to be ranked #1 and #2.

jamesblakefan#1
05-22-2010, 08:12 PM
She's pretty overrated, and some (not meaning you) sold her as the next, big, slam-winning thing in tennis, but the current view does not seem like the fan-chatter had much merit.

She's still only 19. Don't you think it's a bit early to be doing the eulogy of her career? As far as being overrated - 90% of people on here term her as a pusher. Go see for yourself.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=328913

That's being overrated?

As far as being a future slam winner - who knows at this point. She's 19 as I mentioned, and the next wave will come along eventually once WS Henin and Co inevitably fall back in 3-4 years. If Wozniacki develops her game more (not out of the realm of possiblilty at only 19), plays less (dear god please), and can stay healthy, she certainly at bare minimum should be a top 10 player for the forseeable future.

And with a slam final under her belt it's not like she's total hype. Though I do agree she probably won't do much damage here do to injury, she shouldn't be written off completely just b/c of a few bad months, when before that she'd been one of the most solid players on the women's tour and earned her #2 rank.

MotherMarjorie
05-22-2010, 10:23 PM
Woz has an ankle injury which has hampered her recent results. Mother Marjorie sees her future in future GS events much brighter than some in their late 20's, especially in Paris.

vortex1
05-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Woz has an ankle injury which has hampered her recent results. Mother Marjorie sees her future in future GS events much brighter than some in their late 20's, especially in Paris.

Unless she acquires a functional forehand, she can forget about winning slams. She's called pusher for a reason. I see her body breaking down by the time she's 24 from playing everything in an attempt to keep her undeserved position in top 5.

MotherMarjorie
05-22-2010, 10:27 PM
Some people think that making it to a Tier I final (Madrid) validates a #2 ranking. Some people think that winning that same Tier I final (Rezai) is somehow underachieving.

Makes Mother Marjorie wonder about the logic of some individuals.

THUNDERVOLLEY
05-23-2010, 05:27 AM
Unless she acquires a functional forehand, she can forget about winning slams.

..and I doubt that will happen, since it is clear she (and her coach) believe she's "arrived" as a serious slam contender.

She's called pusher for a reason. I see her body breaking down by the time she's 24 from playing everything in an attempt to keep her undeserved position in top 5.

Exactly...but at least one in this thread is too defensive to see this.

soyizgood
05-23-2010, 05:40 AM
I remember not too long ago the Woz fans were bashing and howling me for criticizing her. With generation suck (Azarenka, Wixkmayer, Wozniacki, Radwanska, Pavlyuchenkova, Kleybanova, Oudin, etc.) some of them will likely win a slam. But I don't think it will happen until 2012. I had high hopes for Azarenka, but she needs a brain transplant.

In Woz's case, her game only works when her opponent plays as lousy as possible. She lacks initiative to finish off points, seems content to playing 25 events a year just to keep her rank up high, and has no killer instinct. She's at the moment the Davydenko of the WTA, but even then Davydenko has won 4 big events in his career while Woz has NO answers for when her opponent is playing well.

I don't expect Woz to do well at the Franch. Clay is her worst surface, she played 6 clay events leading up to the French, her game will be studied and taken apart by the bigger hitters, and unless she evolves you can forget about her winning a slam anytime soon.

soyizgood
05-23-2010, 05:43 AM
Oops, posted in wrong thread. I can say there should be a lot of WTF moments here given how flaky folks are coming into this event.

MotherMarjorie
05-23-2010, 05:45 AM
I don't expect Woz to do well at the Franch. Clay is her worst surface, she played 6 clay events leading up to the French, her game will be studied and taken apart by the bigger hitters, and unless she evolves you can forget about her winning a slam anytime soon.
Aside from Monica Seles at Wimbledon, how can any 19 year old have a "worst" surface? Woz hasn't been around long enough to figure that out yet. So how can you?

soyizgood
05-23-2010, 05:53 AM
Aside from Monica Seles at Wimbledon, how can any 19 year old have a "worst" surface? Woz hasn't been around long enough to figure that out yet. So how can you?

You think she can only get better. I think her current game as is has no real room to improve short of smarter scheduling and having guts when facing top players (0-15 vs active former #1s.. come on even her fellow peers have a few scalps).

I once thought Chakvetadze was only going to go up, but that didn't happen. Ditto for Vaidisova. And look at Ivanovic having to work from scratch.

As it is, I see Woz as being a more successful version of Dulko and Radwanska, but not as successful as Jankovic. Jankovic actually has the mindset to play tough against the top players, even if she doesn't have much for weaponry herself.

How often have you seen successful juniors players struggle to evolve when playing pro? It happens all the time. She's done pretty well in the past two years, but she hasn't (at least not now) shown she's consistent in big events. She doesn't seem to care either because if she loses, she's playing in another tournament the next week ala Kafelnikov.

jamesblakefan#1
05-23-2010, 07:44 AM
We'll see. 19 is still young. Like I said, if she starts scheduling better and worrying about her health more I think she can improve, and if you saw her match v Henin in Miami (which you didn't soy), you'll see that she can play more offensively when necessary against certain opponents.

Greenfin Beta
05-23-2010, 08:04 AM
sharapova wins a grand slam on even numbered years. so far she has won one of each of the majors. the only one she hasn't won is the french.

2004 - wimbledon
2006 - u.s. open
2008 - australian open
2010 - french open???

Underhand
05-23-2010, 08:18 AM
sharapova wins a grand slam on even numbered years. so far she has won one of each of the majors. the only one she hasn't won is the french.

2004 - wimbledon
2006 - u.s. open
2008 - australian open
2010 - french open???

No. .......

jerriy
05-23-2010, 01:00 PM

2004 - wimbledon
2006 - u.s. open
2008 - australian open
2010 - french open???You do realize that in order for that to happen at Roland Garros, Pova has to (most likely):

beat Juju in the 3rd round,
bang Stosur in the 4th,
then Serena in the next round, i.e. quater final
then knock Jelena Jankovic out in the semi,
and finally prevail over either Kuzzy Venus or Rezai in the final

callmethedoctor
05-23-2010, 01:03 PM
^yeah, that ain't gonna happen anytime soon. :)