PDA

View Full Version : Observation on federer's using BLX

volley
05-21-2010, 07:34 AM
After watching federer playing with his BLX recently in many occasions, it seems he was serving (or even hitting forehand & backhand respectively) with the same side of the racket's stringbed everytime as I observed that the black throat beam of his racket was always on top while the red beam was underneath when he prepared to serve (in rocking postion)..............btw, you will hardly notice the difference if he played with K-factor or n-code, since those rackets are with almost the same colour code on the racket's throat.

I am not sure if it is a coincident or federer does it on purpose. If he does it intentionally, I think there could be a mark on his grip so he can hold his racket everytime with the same racket face on a certain direction without a pause to look on his racket.....but most importantly, why federer did that on purpose and is there any technical benefit by doing so????

My observation could be wrong, but I found it quite interesting to share.....:):)

fantom
05-21-2010, 07:58 AM
I noticed the same thing watching Soderling play. I believe it's because they have custom grips that are made to fit the way they grip the racquet.

zasr4325
05-21-2010, 08:10 AM
I noticed the same thing watching Soderling play. I believe it's because they have custom grips that are made to fit the way they grip the racquet.

yeah, i read somewhere that soderling has a custom handle with a small space in it for his ring finger to fit into, which he apparently looks for every time he holds the racket. dunno if fed has the same thing; you'd have to ask ron or one of the other guys at p1

zak425
05-21-2010, 08:17 AM
I wouldn't be suprised. There was a thread on here a while back that showed that roddick hit and served always with the same side facing up.

dincuss
05-21-2010, 08:32 AM
Ive been looking through getty,
and your right

good eye

[d]ragon
05-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Wait, this is new to people? It's the way the base grip is wrapped and how the overgrip overlaps that makes it feel more comfortable in the hand.
I do this all the time. If I hit with the other side, it just feels weird.
I thought this was a norm and many players do this

federerfanforever
05-21-2010, 10:28 AM
I also try to keep the orientation of the racket the same all the time so all fore- and backhands are hit on the same side of the stringbed. Dunno if I play better but it is just a mental thing.
The first time I heard of this was in a book called "Ivan Lendl Power Tennis" or something like that that I bought sometime in the early 80s. There Lendl described how he always held his racket with the Adidas logo upside down and this has stayed with me ever since.
I'm pretty sure that Federer does this on purpose. I also think that Murray does it too as those new Head frames have that asymmetrical paint job around the head so you can easily see the orientation of the frame.

yellowoctopus
05-21-2010, 10:32 AM
I prefer to think that these guys have kung fu grips and the racquets can only fit one way.
http://monsterfresh.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/obama-kung-fu-grip.jpg

bsandy
05-21-2010, 11:36 AM
You're telling me that when he's spinning his racquet waiting to return serve, he always stops with the black on top?

Where's Ron Yu to weight in on this one?

. . . Bud

[d]ragon
05-21-2010, 12:03 PM
You're telling me that when he's spinning his racquet waiting to return serve, he always stops with the black on top?

Where's Ron Yu to weight in on this one?

. . . Bud

I do the spinning racquet before returning as well and it kinda just becomes natural when stopping for the right grip. I don't even think about it, it just happens. I think when it lands on the wrong side, you can feel it and you automatically flip it over. You're basically done spinning the racquet by the time you so you have time to make that last switch. Once it becomes habit, it just happens naturally

dragon2o00
05-21-2010, 12:06 PM
ragon;4674057']Wait, this is new to people? It's the way the base grip is wrapped and how the overgrip overlaps that makes it feel more comfortable in the hand.
I do this all the time. If I hit with the other side, it just feels weird.
I thought this was a norm and many players do this

same here. it started with an obsession to have a mark on my TT rebel facing the ball on contact on the forehand but it feels totally weird to hold it on the other side in general.

bsandy
05-21-2010, 12:51 PM
You guys need girlfriends, so you have your minds on other things.

Roger on the other hand is trying to get his mind off his.

JUST KIDDING EVERYBODY . . . HAPPY FRIDAY !

Chezbeeno
05-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Some people are just superstitious and always use the same side of the racquet, I do, this is mostly just with Wilson's that aren't symmetrical but I only ever hit the ball with one side of the string-bed, I am superstitious, but pros might do this for a different reason

hoodjem
05-21-2010, 03:26 PM
I prefer to think that these guys have kung fu grips and the racquets can only fit one way.
http://monsterfresh.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/obama-kung-fu-grip.jpgHee-yah chjo!

UD1
05-21-2010, 08:54 PM
Actually, players customize their racquets by adding extra weight to one side of the racquet. This is what he, nadal, and most pros do to get more spin

Very interesting. Can someone explain how to do this?

dincuss
05-22-2010, 06:51 AM
Wait,
In this video he hits red side up, maybe its just a practice thing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0wnYS3hSpE&playnext_from=TL&videos=ZEuHNU8T3NQ

JerrYMeeE
05-22-2010, 09:24 AM
i hold my grip one way on serve because it feels better in my hand, so do they. no big deal.
i don't care much how it's held during practice because i worry more about the ball i hit than how i feel hitting it.

baseline_monster
05-22-2010, 09:46 AM
I know when I used Wilson and had them stenciled I would always serve wit the W facing up, thats my pickiness thou. Now im using babolat storm tours there pretty much the same each side so I dont realise

lucasschneider
06-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Wow, I never noticed that Federer did that

LPShanet
06-02-2010, 05:22 PM
Actually, players customize their racquets by adding extra weight to one side of the racquet. This is what he, nadal, and most pros do to get more spin

Not sure where you're getting this from, but it's a pretty out there statement. It may well be true that a few pros add more weight to one side of the racquet (though I'd love to see photographic proof), but it's certainly not the case in Nadal's case. More importantly, adding more weight to one face or the other would in no way add more spin. I'd love to see a physics-based explanation of your theory. There are many pros who favor one side of the racquet to another, but it's most often based on grip comfort and issues, as mentioned upthread, not because of some weight thing.