PDA

View Full Version : Nadal wins FO, where does Fed have to loose to loose # 1

KHSOLO
05-21-2010, 12:41 PM
Anything below semis?

Maestro Nalbandian
05-21-2010, 12:57 PM
Fed has to reach final or he will lose no.1 before wimbledon.

nikdom
05-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Roger will have to tighten the loose game and Nadal will have to lose the tights. ;)

RCizzle65
05-21-2010, 01:02 PM
Fed has to reach final or he will lose no.1 before wimbledon.

I've read he just has to make the semis

Mustard
05-21-2010, 01:11 PM
At the moment, Federer has 10,030 points while Nadal has 6,880.

Nadal is defending 180 points for getting to the Round of 16 of the French Open last year. If Nadal wins the 2010 French Open, he will go up to 8,700 points. Federer is defending 2,000 points for winning the French Open last year. If Federer loses in the final, he will have 9,230 points. If Federer loses in the semi finals, he will have 8,750 points. If Federer loses in the quarter finals, he will have 8,390 points.

Therefore, if Nadal wins the French Open, Federer will need to lose in the quarter finals or before in order for Nadal to regain number 1 on the 7th June. After the French Open, neither is defending points at either Queens or Halle. Nadal has 0 points to defend at Wimbledon while Federer has 2,000 to defend.

Hitman
05-21-2010, 01:15 PM

Nadal is defending 180 points for getting to the Round of 16 of the French Open last year. If Nadal wins the 2010 French Open, he will go up to 8,700 points. Federer is defending 2,000 points for winning the French Open last year. If Federer loses in the final, he will have 9,230 points. If Federer loses in the semi finals, he will have 8,750 points. If Federer loses in the quarter finals, he will have 8,390 points.

Therefore, if Nadal wins the French Open, Federer will need to lose in the quarter finals or before in order for Nadal to regain number 1 on the 7th June. After the French Open, neither is defending points at either Queens or Halle. Nadal has 0 points to defend at Wimbledon while Federer has 2,000 to defend.

Thanks for the info Mustard!

It seems Roger is on track to break the Sampras record. This will be major accomplishment, and truly icing on the cake. :)

Mustard
05-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Ignore post.

Hitman
05-21-2010, 01:35 PM
Federer is guaranteed to equal it on 286 weeks, which goes up until the end of the French Open. Federer needs to get to the semi finals of the French Open to break that record.

Okay, so if he gets to the semis, he is going to break the record no matter what happens after that?

Mustard
05-21-2010, 01:48 PM
Okay, so if he gets to the semis, he is going to break the record no matter what happens after that?

I've just counted myself.

1. Federer has been number 1 for 282 weeks as of the 17th May 2010.
2. Federer is guaranteed to be number 1 until the 6th June 2010, when he'll be at 285 weeks, 1 week short of the all-time record.
3. In order to make sure that he's still number 1 on the 7th June 2010, Federer needs to get to the semi finals of the French Open.
4. If Federer does get to the semi finals of the French Open, he's guaranteed to be number 1 until the 13th June 2010, equalling Sampras' record of 286 weeks.
5. If Federer gets enough points at Halle to stay ahead of what Nadal does at Queens, then Federer will break the all-time record and is guaranteed to be number 1 until the 4th July 2010, when Federer's record will be at 289 weeks.

Hitman
05-21-2010, 01:51 PM

2. Federer is guaranteed to be number 1 until the 6th June 2010, when he'll be at 285 weeks, 1 week short of the all-time record.
3. In order to make sure that he's still number 1 on the 7th June 2010, Federer needs to get to the semi finals of the French Open.
4. If Federer does get to the semi finals of the French Open, he's guaranteed to be number 1 until the 13th June 2010, equalling Sampras' record of 286 weeks.
5. If Federer gets enough points at Halle to stay ahead of what Nadal does at Queens, then Federer will break the all-time record and is guaranteed to be number 1 until the 4th July 2010, when Federer's record at number 289 weeks.

Thanks for the effort you put into that. Rafa winning and Roger being the RU is the way I am see it going at the moment.

By the way, Roger played Estoril, which is a 250 event. Will that not affect what he gets in Halle?

KHSOLO
05-21-2010, 01:51 PM

ty bud, i hope Fed plays his best and reaches the final, looking forward to that

Mustard
05-21-2010, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the effort you put into that. Rafa winning and Roger being the RU is the way I am see it going at the moment.

If that happens, Nadal will have 8,700 points while Federer will have 9,230 points. There's no way Rafa will catch him before the end of Wimbledon if that happens. Nadal could even win Queens while Federer doesn't play Halle.

By the way, Roger played Estoril, which is a 250 event. Will that not affect what he gets in Halle?

Has Federer played many 250 tournaments in the last 52 weeks?

aphex
05-21-2010, 01:57 PM
it's LOSE

ffff

Hitman
05-21-2010, 01:59 PM
If that happens, Nadal will have 8,700 points while Federer will have 9,230 points. There's no way Rafa will catch him before the end of Wimbledon if that happens. Nadal could even win Queens while Federer doesn't play Halle.

Has Federer played many 250 tournaments in the last 52 weeks?

With Rafa on the opposite of the draw to Roger at FO, its looks a good possibility.

I think Roger played Basel, not sure if that is 250 or 500, and he did Doha, but so did Rafa.

Mustard
05-21-2010, 02:00 PM
Ignore.....

Mustard
05-21-2010, 02:02 PM
With Rafa on the opposite of the draw to Roger at FO, its looks a good possibility.

There will be a lot of pressure on Federer's shoulders at this French Open. Not only will he want to keep the 23 slam semis in a row streak going, but if it ends at the 2010 French Open, he would lose the number 1 ranking if Nadal went on to win the tournament, and he would be 1 week short of the all-time record. And with Federer having 2,000 points to defend at Wimbledon while Nadal has 0, Federer's chance might disappear if he slips up now.

Shaolin
05-21-2010, 02:03 PM
it's LOSE

ffff

+1. I cannot believe how many people can't spell this word. It's like 80% of the posters on TW spell it wrong.

I wish everyone would learn how to spell Tursunov correctly as well, but that will never happen :roll:

Hitman
05-21-2010, 02:04 PM
There's a lot of pressure on Federer's shoulders in this French Open. Not only will he want to keep the 23 slam semis in a row streak going, but if it ends at the 2010 French Open, he would lose the number 1 ranking if Nadal went on to win the tournament, and would be 1 week short of the all-time record.

I agree, but would add that last year he had even more pressure after Rafa went out, since that could have been his only chance to win. And when under pressure, he delivered. That will help him out a lot this year, where the urgency to win is not as much as last year was.

Mustard
05-21-2010, 02:06 PM
I agree, but would add that last year he had even more pressure after Rafa went out, since that could have been his only chance to win. And when under pressure, he delivered. That will help him out a lot this year, where the urgency to win is not as much as last year was.

True. Nadal losing to Soderling last year must have increased the pressure on Federer in a funny kind of way. He came through it in the end after many scares in the tournament.

Being 1 week short of the all-time record would be agonising, though.

Hitman
05-21-2010, 02:12 PM
True. Nadal losing to Soderling last year must have increased the pressure on Federer in a funny kind of way. He came through it in the end after many scares in the tournament.

Agree with you on both accounts.

Roger did state that after Rafa went out, he felt like he played four finals, because the pressure to get that elusive slam was just unreal.

But being one week short would hurt anyone!

JeMar
05-21-2010, 02:49 PM
it's LOSE

ffff

+1. I cannot believe how many people can't spell this word. It's like 80% of the posters on TW spell it wrong.

I wish everyone would learn how to spell Tursunov correctly as well, but that will never happen :roll:

You guys need to loose the snippy attitude.

dis iznt engleesh claz geez

nikdom
05-21-2010, 02:55 PM
You guys need to loose the snippy attitude.

dis iznt engleesh claz geez

veri wel sade jimar. eet ees so anoying too rede prohpar eengleesh. eweri one shud bee aloved too rite *** they plees!!

Puredrivetennis
05-21-2010, 03:16 PM
it's LOSE

ffff

amen hahhaha

MichaelNadal
05-21-2010, 03:32 PM
I think whether Fed breaks the record in June or loses it, he will still end up with it before his career is over so I don't know what all the fuss is about.

CanadianChic
05-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Anything below semis?

It isn't easy learning a second language so don't pay any attention.

I really hope English is indeed your second language.

malakas
05-21-2010, 03:41 PM
continuing the semis record and equalising most weeks at no.1 ,one bird with 2 stones.:)

Carsomyr
05-21-2010, 03:51 PM

Regardless, he wouldn't be short. He'd just have to share it. I think he could live with that.

Mustard
05-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Regardless, he wouldn't be short. He'd just have to share it. I think he could live with that.

No, Federer would be on 285 weeks, 1 short of Sampras.

Carsomyr
05-21-2010, 03:56 PM
No, Federer would be on 285 weeks, 1 short of Sampras.

Oh, I misread your numbers. My mistake.

abraxas21
05-21-2010, 04:49 PM

5. If Federer gets enough points at Halle to stay ahead of what Nadal does at Queens, then Federer will break the all-time record and is guaranteed to be number 1 until the 4th July 2010, when Federer's record will be at 289 weeks.

There's a catch, though. The ATP only counts the points of the best two ATP 250 events for the top 30 players and Federer has already played 2 this year where he reached the semis, so if Fed wins Halle he would gain 250-90 = 160 points.

Thus, if Nadal goes on to win RG and Queen's while Federer makes the SF in RG and even wins Halle, then Nadal would become number 1 and Federer wouldn't break the record.

aphex
05-22-2010, 05:53 AM
veri wel sade jimar. eet ees so anoying too rede prohpar eengleesh. eweri one shud bee aloved too rite *** they plees!!

LaF AUt LauD

LAL?

Sentinel
05-22-2010, 06:15 AM
Can someone clarify this ... Roger does not gain anything at WO even if he wins, whereas Rafa has everything to gain.

So assuming Rafa wins RG and Federer reaches the final/SF at RG, and again assuming Roger wins WO, and Rafa reaches at least SF what do the points looks like (roughly).

Does Rafa cleanly overtake Roger ?

statto
05-22-2010, 06:26 AM
continuing the semis record and equalising most weeks at no.1 ,one bird with 2 stones.:)

Or two birds with one stone even. :)

Can someone clarify this ... Roger does not gain anything at WO even if he wins, whereas Rafa has everything to gain.

So assuming Rafa wins RG and Federer reaches the final/SF at RG, and again assuming Roger wins WO, and Rafa reaches at least SF what do the points looks like (roughly).

Does Rafa cleanly overtake Roger ?

Correct. Roger is defending 2000 points, which he can only do by winning Wimbledon. Rafa is defending 0 points, so even a first round exit would add points to his total.

The difference in points between making the semi finals and final is 480, so it's difficult to say if Rafa overtakes Roger cleanly based on your hypotheticals. If Rafa wins RG and matches Roger's RG performance at Wimbledon then I think he goes to #1 regardless of what happens at Queens/Halle.