PDA

View Full Version : futures player need help with pd+beneteau, fognini, andrevs, raquets.

hjk
05-21-2010, 05:13 PM
hey guys anyone know how these guys customize their raquets or is basically down to strings? i just got sent some pd+s from babolat had 10g sealed with silocon put in the handle and was gonna work from there i couldnt find the court my atp ranking is around 730 so i know i can hit the ball in and its not about technique had some crap babolat factory string in there though i normaly use alu 1.25 ?

niketennispro
05-21-2010, 07:42 PM
possibly the strings, since you said the factory strings were in the racquet, restring with your regular setup and see how that goes. Congrats on playing on the tour btw :)

(K)evin
05-21-2010, 07:53 PM
hey guys anyone know how these guys customize their raquets or is basically down to strings? i just got sent some pd+s from babolat had 10g sealed with silocon put in the handle and was gonna work from there i couldnt find the court my atp ranking is around 730 so i know i can hit the ball in and its not about technique had some crap babolat factory string in there though i normaly use alu 1.25 ?

yeah I agree its probably the strings
wow you play on the tour nice! good luck this season

Big_Dangerous
05-21-2010, 07:58 PM

Yeah I'd say try your strings and since the handle was already weighted that's going to affect the balance, the racket probably really head light right now. If you like after you get it strung up then just use it like that, if not might as well experiment a little with adding some lead to the head, 3 an 9, 6, wherever you want.

Rockitdog
05-21-2010, 08:17 PM
I would think a player of your caliber should know this stuff or have help with it at least. Not too many "pros" come on here looking for set up advice.

baseline_monster
05-22-2010, 09:44 AM
I would think a player of your caliber should know this stuff or have help with it at least. Not too many "pros" come on here looking for set up advice.

Not true, some players dont know much about strings and balancing etc. Most top players stick with a string for years, pick the racket they like and the company or customizer match there sticks. I bet if you asked most players what weight, balance and SW there sticks are a fair few wouldnt be able to tell you.

Skabeast121
05-22-2010, 01:12 PM
^^True statement. I remember one person on here said they asked Gulbis what racquet what was under the PJ. His response was (this is verbatim according to the poster btw) "the blue one".

Doubles
05-22-2010, 03:40 PM
^^True statement. I remember one person on here said they asked Gulbis what racquet what was under the PJ. His response was (this is verbatim according to the poster btw) "the blue one".

I believe it as Donald Young, actually, though I could be wrong...

cmb
05-25-2010, 10:53 AM
Yo u might wanna restring it with something good...then see if it still sucks

LPShanet
05-25-2010, 04:43 PM

What was your previous setup (the one you were comfortable with prior to these frames)? Feel free to contact me off list to discuss specifics if you want.

Hidious
05-25-2010, 05:38 PM
I believe it as Donald Young, actually, though I could be wrong...

Yea, i also thought it was Donald Young...

daved
05-26-2010, 10:41 AM
I have talked to two of the pros at our club about racquets. One of them is a former world #1 in doubles and multiple ATP singles title winner and the other a former D1 player and lower-level pro.

Their knowledge is minimal at best. The average salesperson at a tennis store knows much more about models, weighting, stiffness, strings and tension.

But they sure can play.

I have no doubt they could absolutely SPANK the best players at the club (and we have some good ones) with any racquet you put in their hands.

LeeD
05-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Most top 1000's know what they like.
NONE know what you need.
Can't just blindly add weights just because someone else does.
Hit with it. Does it need more swingweight? Does it need heavier balance?
Maybe it gets more plowthru with softer strings?
Are you getting enough power vs mishits?

Chris Rizutto
05-26-2010, 11:04 AM
Yea, i also thought it was Donald Young...

Couldn't be Donald Young. His mom would handle his racquet customization along with lessons, coaching, physio, cardio, weight training, diet.

Anything else she could manipulate for him?

dgoran
05-26-2010, 01:55 PM
Ill try to help you. I found Pure Drive Team + (non-cortex) little bit unstable like it would twist in my hand. Since you already added 10 grams of silicone in the handle all you need to do is ading about 5 grams of lead at 3 and 9 o clock should be 4 strips of 1/4 inch tape on each side of the beam at 3 and 9, (see roddicks setup http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/e7/fullj.1804258eeee39ded14ba07dabbf1818b/1804258eeee39ded14ba07dabbf1818b-getty-tennis-fra-open-roland-garros.jpg)

It really increases stability and should bring the ballance more to the 7-8pts range . Than once you try that. you may try adding lead to the bottom of the handle and top of the racket 12 oclock untill you dial in your perfect setup.

Doubles
05-26-2010, 02:08 PM
Couldn't be Donald Young. His mom would handle his racquet customization along with lessons, coaching, physio, cardio, weight training, diet.

Not true. His mom might handle the rest. But only he could know what he is comfortable with racket wise...

Hidious
05-26-2010, 03:44 PM

I don't understand the point your trying to make. If his moms handles his racquet's specs and customization, it would make sense that Donald doesn't really know what he's using and replied "the old blue one".

chrisplchs
05-26-2010, 04:34 PM

Untrue on so many regards. Donald works a lot with USTA now, more so than his parents. His parents are more like caretakers than coaches for him now.

As for his frames, he's Donald. That is all I got to say