PDA

View Full Version : Do you hate condescending players?

Cassius Clay
05-21-2010, 06:14 PM
For example, when Nadal is winning 6-0 5-0 he clearly relaxes a bit and kind of hands the following game to the opponent, just to take the match with a condescending 6-0 6-1.

I'm a Nadal fan but If I were the other guy I'd be very annoyed at Nadal, I'd rather lose 6-0 6-0 to a focused rival throughout the whole match than being treated like a cry-baby kid who won't stand a double bagel.

What do you think?

Totai
05-21-2010, 06:45 PM
For example, when Nadal is winning 6-0 5-0 he clearly relaxes a bit and kind of hands the following game to the opponent, just to take the match with a condescending 6-0 6-1.

I'm a Nadal fan but If I were the other guy I'd be very annoyed at Nadal, I'd rather lose 6-0 6-0 to a focused rival throughout the whole match than being treated like a cry-baby kid who won't stand a double bagel.

What do you think?

I'd rather not lose. If i am losing 6-0 6-0 then I have no business being out there on the tennis court

Mick
05-21-2010, 07:40 PM
i think it depends on which round it is.
if it is the final then he should play all out.
if it is not the final then it's ok for him to relax and save his energy for the next match since he's going to win the match anyway.

Big_Dangerous
05-21-2010, 07:46 PM

What do you think?

I saw him do that at one of the pre Roland Garros tournaments, I think it was Italy. Honestly I don't see how that's condescending of him. He doesn't want to flat out embarrass his opponent so he lets him have a game. Maybe he tries something different or reaches into his bag of tricks and tries something he hasn't in a while. Personally I don't see anything wrong with that. Honestly if I was losing that badly I'd probably laugh and say well at least he let me have a game and didn't make me eat the double bagel.

HunterST
05-21-2010, 07:47 PM

What do you think?

You make it sound like Nadal doesn't want to double bagel anyone. I'm sure he'd be happy to. He just recognizes that it's the best time to try out some new things with his game.

Ambivalent
05-21-2010, 08:22 PM
You make it sound like Nadal doesn't want to double bagel anyone. I'm sure he'd be happy to. He just recognizes that it's the best time to try out some new things with his game.

One dimensional Nadal trying new things? Surely you jest.