PDA

View Full Version : What makes tennis boring to watch

Centered
05-21-2010, 05:25 PM
Missed first serves. This also makes tennis boring to play.

It's painful to watch a match when players have around a 50% first serve percentage unless they're hitting aces or serving/volleying. This is a big problem with many WTA tennis matches especially, probably because the players tend to be shorter so it's harder to keep from hitting the tape when serving aggressively. But, it also depends upon the player. Players with long rituals between serves can be painful to watch, too.

I definitely disagree with the suggestion to play let balls, because they're sloppy and random. But, I've been trying to think of a solution for the "endless serving" boredom that comes with watching tennis matches.

I can't watch a tennis match without a DVR sometimes so I can fast-forward through the endless faults and time between serves.

Some possibilities:

1. No fault serving, type A. Players get one serve per point, as with ping pong.

If this rule is implemented I would also modify the let rule so that let balls that are out would give the player another serve. Otherwise, it's too harsh to have the ball hit the net and just barely go out—and have that be a fault.

The problem with one serve per point tennis is that it's a terrible handicap for serve/volley players as well as for players with big, yet erratic, first serves. It provides a big advantage to people who return serve well. I don't like the idea of making serve/volley even less viable.

2. No fault serving, type B. Players get unlimited serves but would have to serve their second, third, and so forth serves immediately after getting the ball (no dallying). This is a really bad idea that could make matches even more boring to watch. It could make more players turn into serve/volley players, though. :shock:

3. Players would get a certain number of first serves per game, like 4. This would hurt serve/volley players, although not as much as the first idea. Also, having up to four or five faults on first serves would still be boring.

4. This one is really odd... Players would get three serves, but would have to immediately serve the second and third serves. The third serve would have to be underhand. This would be interesting because it would be very hard to win a point on the third serve, so it could make the game more exciting because if a player managed to win a point that way it would be unexpected.

This idea seems interesting. Even though there would be up to three serves, if players have to immediately (as soon as they get the ball) serve the second and third serves, it could actually make the match progress more smoothly and be more interesting.

It was high drama when Chang won with an underhand serve. While having a third underhand service for every player in every match won't be that dramatic, it could still be interesting. It would add variation to the serving style of players as well as the way points are played.

5. Have a first serve percentage threshold and if the player doesn't mean a certain minimum (per set?), the player would be docked somehow. This would provide the player with the incentive to serve more consistently. Or, it could just stress the player more, leading to more faults. One way to dock the player would be to only give that player one serve per point in a set if their first serve percentage is awful in the previous set.

I'll think of more later.

Please don't pop in here to ridicule these ideas. They're just brainstorming and are not supposed to be amazingly fantastic.

T1000
05-21-2010, 05:26 PM
Woman who wear clothes while playing

Nadal and Murray

Choking

gold soundz
05-21-2010, 05:37 PM
To me it's just when the players keep making unforced errors and we feel like we're just watching them walk around inbetween points.

Bryan Swartz
05-21-2010, 06:31 PM
I don't think it's boring at all -- and it's also one of the more important strategic decisions a player makes(how aggressive to be on first serve).

vortex1
05-21-2010, 06:38 PM
For me tennis match is boring when every point is short and ends in UE. This is the reason why I don't watch most women matches.

Second, I believe time limit should either be removed or enforced. Watching Kirilenko take 30+ seconds between each serve is really annoying, especially since she serves at <50%, you KNOW you will have to wait a whole minute before the point starts.

...And yes Nadal, Djokovic are guilty of wasting time too.

djokovicgonzalez2010
05-21-2010, 06:40 PM
I like that Ferru serves quickly

Bryan Swartz
05-21-2010, 06:42 PM
Enforcing a 20-second time limit would be fine with me. On some surfaces it might make conditioning more important, which is just fine with me.

HunterST
05-21-2010, 06:45 PM
lol I like how you come up with ideas then explain why they're really bad ideas.

OddJack
05-21-2010, 06:46 PM
too many UEs, defensive styles, Ugly comons, poor commentating.

Mick
05-21-2010, 07:01 PM
i think tennis on tv would be more enjoyable without the commentators.
some commentators are so bad, they would talk even when the point is in play.
they seem to think people watch the program to hear them talk instead of watching the players play tennis.

Big_Dangerous
05-21-2010, 07:07 PM
they seem to think people watch the program to hear them talk instead of watching the players play tennis.

Yeah I did see a match on Directv during the Aussie Open where they're actually was no commentator at all. It was really late at night and I came in late saw like the last set or so and nothing, no audio from the commentator. Was actually kind of cool

Serendipitous
05-21-2010, 07:08 PM
Roger Federer :mad:

Scientist
05-21-2010, 07:30 PM
Tennis is boring when:

players take FOREVER between points--calling the ball kid, wiping every part of their body, fiddling with the tennis balls, running in place, eating an ice cream sandwich--TIME RULE PLEASE

some offenders are Nadal, Djokovic, and esp. Youhzny (have you seen how long this guy takes before a damn serve? It's like he has to take a stroll around the park before every serve).

Centered
05-21-2010, 09:29 PM
lol I like how you come up with ideas then explain why they're really bad ideas.
Some are better than others. I like the 3 serves + underhand 3rd + minimal time between serves idea. It would add variety to the game. (Or, it could be awful.)

I can imagine players developing a strong slice underhand technique, though, which may be fun to watch. I suppose there would also have to be a rule about how far an opponent can stand in when receiving that serve.

If Chang could win a slam serving underhand due to an injury, imagine how a totally fit player might be able to use it...

Centered
05-21-2010, 09:30 PM
I think they shouldn't be able to talk during points. That's what really bugs me. I don't mind if they talk before the player serves, since so much time is usually wasted then anyway.
Enforcing a 20-second time limit would be fine with me. On some surfaces it might make conditioning more important, which is just fine with me.
I don't mind if players need some time between points to catch their breath and so forth. But, I don't like it when they take a lot of time between first and second serves, and when they have a low first serve percentage. It hard enough for older players to keep up. Making a very short time limit between points places older players at a bigger disadvantage.

Toxicmilk
05-21-2010, 10:12 PM
five sets full of unforced errors...

TheNatural
05-22-2010, 02:11 AM
It can get boring to watch inferior baseline players who lose predictably to better baseline players without any attempt by them to try plan B.

It can also get boring to see tall big serving guys with no idea how to volley.

P_Agony
05-22-2010, 02:19 AM
Tennis is a bit too predictable for me these days, and sometimes that makes for boring matches.

I'm also bored by some players' games, and I'm also bored by a single player's domination of an entire mini-season. All in all, outside of a few good matches here and there, tennis is pretty boring for me at the moment.

The reason I really liked the AO this year was the fact it was very unpredictable. Fed was coming to the tourney in a meh form, Nadal with his mental problems from last year, Davy with a new fire in his eyes, Murray's form was unknown, Djokovic was in it as well, DP was the winner of the last HC slam, there was really no clear favorite, and the result was plenty of five set matches and a lot of good performences. The final could have been less one sided but overall I liked this event a lot.

Marius_Hancu
05-22-2010, 03:49 AM
2HBH

Robotic, workmanlike, baseline play

No S-V

Lack of touch

vandre
05-22-2010, 06:02 AM
Tennis is a bit too predictable for me these days, and sometimes that makes for boring matches.

I'm also bored by some players' games, and I'm also bored by a single player's domination of an entire mini-season. All in all, outside of a few good matches here and there, tennis is pretty boring for me at the moment.

The reason I really liked the AO this year was the fact it was very unpredictable. Fed was coming to the tourney in a meh form, Nadal with his mental problems from last year, Davy with a new fire in his eyes, Murray's form was unknown, Djokovic was in it as well, DP was the winner of the last HC slam, there was really no clear favorite, and the result was plenty of five set matches and a lot of good performences. The final could have been less one sided but overall I liked this event a lot.

/thread. this is exactly what i hate about tennis the most. i hate being able to sit down with the draw and know who was going to make it to the finals before the tournament ever starts. this draw-picking game that ppl like to play you wouldn't have dare played in the 80s-90s. everything would have been busted before the 3rd round. oh well...

jwbarrientos
05-22-2010, 06:05 AM
Never ending serve preparation ... Rafa, Nole... etc.

Murray's style.

Kenny022593
05-22-2010, 06:13 AM
I watched the dent vs sweetings match on YouTube and that is the only time violation I have ever heard need called. It happened in the 5th or 6th part. It probably happened though because these guys are lower ranked though.

Anaconda
05-22-2010, 07:05 AM
1) Players with huge weapons playing % and playing a passive game.
2) Players who want to make a match 'just a contest' instead of winning.
3) Potential GOAT candidates injured or neglecting their career.
4) Players with no attitude.
5) Defensive players winning or winning a point they should have lost.

tahiti
05-22-2010, 07:56 AM
Too many aces. yawn yawn. No play it's like bowling, hitting a strike everytime and not having a second go. :(

rovex
05-22-2010, 07:58 AM
1) Players with huge weapons playing % and playing a passive game.
2) Players who want to make a match 'just a contest' instead of winning.
5) Defensive players winning or winning a point they should have lost.

Pretty much summed up your boy Roddick there.

OKUSA
05-22-2010, 08:12 AM
I really don't know, time between serves is a big one for me. Also, default defensive players like Murray and Nadal. When they get in a jam they always default to very defensive players, rather than Federer or Davydenko who get more and more aggressive. If Davydenko didn't start charging the net against Nadal after getting bageled he surely would've gotten a pretty bad beat down rather than winning. Nadal got too careless and started playing way too defensive and it showed.

Vin2
05-22-2010, 08:14 AM

Depends on the commentator I guess.

I love watching the Australian Open with Jim Courier and the Aussies commentating (except for Karen Pratt). They really give good analysis and have some incredible insights.

Don't like commentators who only say "what a shot", "that's amazing!", "impossible! how did he do that?!?", "that's just too many unforced errors" etc. Makes me want to call the broadcasting station and tell them "well duh! I think wwe all know that!"

CCNM
05-22-2010, 04:06 PM
Players who don't come to the net!!!!

Puredrivetennis
05-22-2010, 04:09 PM
excessive unforced errors.

Bryan Swartz
05-22-2010, 04:21 PM
This thread just shows that boring is a matter of perception. Several people say there's too many unforced errors, but I bet the same people wouldn't like it players were playing it safer to avoid those errors, leading to 'pushing', 'pointless baseline bashing', etc. Which others have said they wouldn't like.

Personally, I wish more people could just appreciate the different styles more(not aiming this at anyone in this thread necessarily). I don't think S&V is necessarily better/worse than defensive play, power baseline play, junkballing a la Santoro -- they all have their place. Variety is the spice of the sport.

T1000
05-22-2010, 05:26 PM
Pretty much summed up your boy Roddick there.

Watching people choke
Watching people bend over for Nadal
Watching people with a huge serve roll it in at 90 mph to Federer
Watching people in the top 10 who shouldn't be there

TheLoneWolf
05-22-2010, 05:45 PM
The most boring thing to watch is a match with severely unmatched players (where one of them is very superior to the other.) Example: RG Final 08.

ttbrowne
05-23-2010, 06:48 AM
I agree with the time rule between serves...but good luck in getting it enforced.