PDA

View Full Version : Will Nadal complete the Career Grand Slam? Will Nadal ever win the US Open?

Pages : [1] 2 3

aceX
05-21-2010, 09:23 PM
What do you think?

Nadal already has:
- Australian Open
- French Open
- Wimbledon
- Olympic Gold

Can he complete the Golden Career Grand Slam?

Edit:
14/09/2010 - Nadal has reached this milestone already!

drakulie
05-21-2010, 09:25 PM
The way it has been going for him, I would say no. However, I think he definitely has the game to do it at least once.

OKUSA
05-21-2010, 09:25 PM
Gulbis has a better chance to win the USO than Nadal

Clay lover
05-21-2010, 09:26 PM
I think he has his best chance yet this year. Let's see what he can do.

kournacopia
05-21-2010, 09:27 PM
If Nadal gets a cakewalk draw at the USO like he has this year at the FO, it's possible.

OKUSA
05-21-2010, 09:37 PM
cakewalk draw on hard courts is not possible. there are a lot more people who can beat nadal on hardcourt than clay.

everyone in the top 10 can and like 10 more outside the top 10

decades
05-21-2010, 09:37 PM
No he will be just like Borg.

Radobg
05-21-2010, 09:38 PM
I hope he will do it,but........there is so many BUT actually..

FedError
05-21-2010, 10:02 PM
there are a lot more people who can beat nadal on hardcourt than clay.

everyone in the top 10 can and like 10 more outside the top 10

except for Verdasco

Sentinel
05-21-2010, 10:04 PM
Considering that he has one slam to go, its not too difficult to imagine. I think he will. He has many years to go.

Spider
05-21-2010, 10:16 PM
I remember reading threads about whether Nadal can ever win at Wimbledon, AO open or US open in 07 (i.e. any other slam away from clay). Now it is narrowed down just to US open.

carlos djackal
05-21-2010, 10:29 PM
I really think he can win the US Open, he won the olympics which I believe is the same court surface to the US Open so maybe he can win it sometime....

OKUSA
05-21-2010, 10:42 PM
wasn't james blake in the semi's at beijing? i rest my case

vortex1
05-21-2010, 10:46 PM
wasn't james blake in the semi's at beijing? i rest my case

Blake was on fire for a few days. Took out Federer, I believe.

davey25
05-21-2010, 10:53 PM
Blake was on fire for a few days. Took out Federer, I believe.

Federer was horrenedous in that match. 58 unforced errors in only 2 sets. Blake then couldnt even finish off an off form and error spraying Gonzalez in the semis. I wouldnt say he was on fire.

gold soundz
05-21-2010, 11:00 PM
I think Nadal will. He's got many years to do it and he's already made the semis twice. Come on he'll get it at least once.

malakas
05-21-2010, 11:06 PM
If you asked me last year I would have voted yes,but I just don't know anymore..oh and I definitely don't think he has that many years ahead of him to try to win it.maybe 3 more attempts.

gold soundz
05-21-2010, 11:09 PM
If he can just get to the final and play Federer he has a decent chance of winning. This year Del Potro won't be there either.

BullDogTennis
05-21-2010, 11:12 PM
most likely yes...federer and nadal are on a whole different level from anyone else. and if fed gets injured or somethin, nadal could easily take it.

gold soundz
05-21-2010, 11:17 PM
most likely yes...federer and nadal are on a whole different level from anyone else. and if fed gets injured or somethin, nadal could easily take it.

Federer won't get injured, but Nadal could beat him. I don't see how Nadal won't get to the US Open final at least once. He's been one match away from it on two occasions ALREADY. He's got many more chances.

Anaconda
05-22-2010, 02:50 AM
Nope. Here is why

2005 - **** draw, can't even get past James Blake
2006 - Another easy draw, loses against Youzhny.
2007 - With his easiest draw to date, he loses against Ferrer
2008 - don't get me started, no one could have asked for a better draw. If he couldn't win it that year then he never will
2009 - it was a pretty tough draw, but played one top 10 player and got beatdown by JMDP.

Nadal has had his luck with his draws and the US open. And at best he can manage a few semi finals. There is always someone who will beat him there. I mean, who is the best player Nadal has beaten at the US open?

namelessone
05-22-2010, 02:57 AM
No,unless he develops a powerful serve and starts hitting flatter like he did in his teens. His spinny strokes and serve are good enough to get him through QF/SF but are not suited for fast HC so he can't make that final push. Even on slower HC at AO which is a bit more friendly for him it took a titanic effort to win his only hardcourt slam. Rafa has said that he would like to play until about 28 years old so he basically has another 3-4 chances. If he keeps focused on improving and has a favourable draw I don't see why he can't do it.

There is a certain bar on fast HC which you can't pass unless you have a reasonably fast serve and flatter strokes. For Rafa it is SF. Just look at how many SF he made in the second half of last year only to be beaten by guys with better HC games than him and coincidentally,all had better serves and flatter shots than him.

dmt
05-22-2010, 03:07 AM
He needs to hit flatter and play a high risk game if he has to win it. He has played it pretty safe so far, and what it has shown is that he can reach the semi finals with it. Sure if he were hitting flatter, it would be a bigger risk but IMO that's the only choice left.

Nadal can hit the ball incredibly hard and flat, especially on the forehand side but he does it very rarely. I saw it while watching indian wells this year where he came up with a 110 mph forehand vs Ancic, and a few years ago he hit an incredibly hard forehand vs federer a few years ago. So he does have the ability to hit flat strokes, just doesn't go for them very often. But now he has to, if he is to ever win the us open.

dmt
05-22-2010, 03:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikNlsRBT8-0

this is what i am talking about. He NEEDS to do this and thats his only shot at winning.

P_Agony
05-22-2010, 03:20 AM
Mark my words, Nadal will win the USO at least once.

Legend of Borg
05-22-2010, 03:33 AM

That doesn't rule out someone like Delpo from taking them both out.

Hitman
05-22-2010, 03:36 AM
I think he will win one, difficult to know when that will be. But with two semis, he's shown that he can go deep into that event.

However, it is without a doubt his toughest slam. The surface has the opposite effect of that at RG, in that it hides his strengths and exploits his weaknesses. Flat, powerful hitters can have field days with Rafa, and he won't be able to out hit them.

However Rafa is very good in a finding a way to win. I think once in his career it will all click for him there, with the ideal draw, great form, some upsets clearing the way for him.

I don't think he will win more than one though, but I can see him adding another AO at some point.

vortex1
05-22-2010, 03:37 AM
He needs to hit flatter and play a high risk game if he has to win it. He has played it pretty safe so far, and what it has shown is that he can reach the semi finals with it. Sure if he were hitting flatter, it would be a bigger risk but IMO that's the only choice left.

Nadal can hit the ball incredibly hard and flat, especially on the forehand side but he does it very rarely. I saw it while watching indian wells this year where he came up with a 110 mph forehand vs Ancic, and a few years ago he hit an incredibly hard forehand vs federer a few years ago. So he does have the ability to hit flat strokes, just doesn't go for them very often. But now he has to, if he is to ever win the us open.

I agree with everything in this post. Nadal has a brutal forehand and can blast away at the ball super flat, but he does it so rarely it's frustrating. The topspin FH is great on natural surfaces like clay and grass, but on fast HC it's just giving massive hitters like Delpo a short ball to put away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikNlsRBT8-0

this is what i am talking about. He NEEDS to do this and thats his only shot at winning.

Just watched the video.

"He is going to overpower a lot of people in his career" - commentator

I only wish he kept that FH.

aceX
05-22-2010, 05:54 PM
I guess I should say the Golden Career Grand Slam. lol :lol:

pmerk34
05-22-2010, 05:59 PM
Federer was horrenedous in that match. 58 unforced errors in only 2 sets. Blake then couldnt even finish off an off form and error spraying Gonzalez in the semis. I wouldnt say he was on fire.

I bet Blake could take you with his left arm with a frying pan spotting you 40-0 leads every game.

aceX
05-22-2010, 06:07 PM
I bet Blake could take you with his left arm with a frying pan spotting you 40-0 leads every game.

Whoa lets keep it civil

boredone3456
05-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Its possible, but with his knees and the way he schedules himself I really doubt it.

pmerk34
05-22-2010, 06:18 PM
Whoa lets keep it civil

That is civil for him. he'll probably respond with how Graf could beat Blake.

T1000
05-22-2010, 06:28 PM
If everyone in the top 100 didn't show up then yea he could do it

T1000
05-22-2010, 06:29 PM

Gonzo cheated kid, get your facts right. And Seles getting stabbed basically gave Graf all her titles after that, trolling works both ways

TheLoneWolf
05-22-2010, 06:32 PM
^^ That's dumb.

T1000
05-22-2010, 06:34 PM
^^ That's dumb.

please stay on topic troll. look at his draws from 2005-2010, absolute jokes. If he couldn't do it then he won't do it now

TheLoneWolf
05-22-2010, 06:37 PM
please stay on topic troll. look at his draws from 2005-2010, absolute jokes. If he couldn't do it then he won't do it now
LOL. You are talking like Nadal loses in 1R consistently. See now who's the troll? :) I mean, Top 100? At least make it something more believable like Top 20. Please...Go hide under that bridge and try to steal money from passers-by, or whatever you trolls do. LMFAO.

JuliusWinto
I think you would have to be a complete ******* to bet against Nadal winning one U.S. Open. He very well may not, but you seriously think he couldn't win one? If a player like him, who has such a good finals record, has reached the semis before, one would think he could eke out one win in his career. Like I said, he may not, but I don't think betting against him is a very smart bet.

davey25
Gonzo cheated kid, get your facts right.

I am well aware of how the Olympic semifinal played out but he didnt cheat on one of those match points Blake choked away. Blake did not lose the match because of Gonzo's bit of cheating, he lost because he blew it in the end even vs a Gonzo not playing that well for his standards that day and making alot of errors. Those are the right facts, and I was cheering for Blake in that particular match too.

And Seles getting stabbed basically gave Graf all her titles after that, trolling works both ways

So was Seles planning on killing Graf by throwing an oversized basket of 100 Krispy Kremes (Seles's daily lunch) at her?

TheLoneWolf
05-22-2010, 06:40 PM
I think you would have to be a complete ******* to bet against Nadal winning one U.S. Open. He very well may not, but you seriously think he couldn't win one? If a player like him, who has such a good finals record, has reached the semis before, one would think he could eke out one win in his career. Like I said, he may not, but I don't think betting against him is a very smart bet.
Yeah, that sounds like T1000 here. LOL.

If Fed and Rafa meet in USO, even if it's not in the final, I'm willing to bet Roger and his fanboys would have a sudden bout of fear-induced diarrhea. :)

Raphael
05-22-2010, 06:48 PM
Borg had the game to win at least one USOpen, but didn't. Nadal could do it, but time is running out. I don't think Nadal is someone who will still be a factor in Slams in another 5 years, judging by the way his body has reacted already to his style of play.

T1000
05-22-2010, 06:48 PM
Yeah, that sounds like T1000 here. LOL.

If Fed and Rafa meet in USO, even if it's not in the final, I'm willing to bet Roger and his fanboys would have a sudden bout of fear-induced diarrhea. :)

Too bad I'm not a Federer fan. And so far you have 3 posts in this thread and none are on topic, therefore you're a troll.

http://c0d3.name/images/double-facepalm.jpg

Nadal will never win the U.S. Open, everyone in the top20 that's not Spanish can beat him

davey25
05-22-2010, 06:50 PM
Well as someone who is not a Federer fan in the least I would still pick Federer over Nadal at the U.S Open if they meet (unless Federer has sunk out of the top 5 by then) but I dont think it is a certainty Federer would win that matchup all the same. Particularly if it is in the final as it means Nadal has actually played well enough to reach a final there.

TheLoneWolf
05-22-2010, 07:04 PM
Too bad I'm not a Federer fan. And so far you have 3 posts in this thread and none are on topic, therefore you're a troll.

Nadal will never win the U.S. Open, everyone in the top20 that's not Spanish can beat him
Do you promise to relocate to your ancestral troll bridge and never visit the forum again if Nadal wins the USO? Maybe you should put your money where your big Nadal hater mouth is. What do you say, chief? :)

aceX
05-22-2010, 08:13 PM
I'm surprised people haven't laboured the point about winning the Olympic Gold on the same surface as the US Open

Mustard
05-22-2010, 08:23 PM

Nadal is fully capable of winning the US Open. I think he will do it one day, maybe even this year.

Dimension
05-22-2010, 10:02 PM
Nadal is fully capable of winning the US Open. I think he will do it one day, maybe even this year.

My sentiment is the same, sir. :)

aceX
05-22-2010, 10:09 PM

Yeah I reckon the people voting 'No' are just haters

TheLoneWolf
05-22-2010, 10:23 PM
Timeline of Nadal hater claims:

1. June 2008: Nadal will never win Wimbledon, because he's a 1-dimensional dirtballer.
2. January 2009: The chances of Rafa winning in a slam HC against Fed are almost null, as he is not that good in HC.
3. May 2010: Nadal will never win USO. Not good enough in a fast HC slam.

:)

gold soundz
05-22-2010, 10:26 PM

1. June 2008: Nadal will never win Wimbledon, because he's a 1-dimensional dirtballer.
2. January 2009: The chances of Rafa winning in a slam HC against Fed are almost null, as he is not that good in HC.

Haha very nicely done

Dimension
05-22-2010, 10:31 PM

Is that a sign of Nadal winning USO this year? :wink: Are you the master of pattern recognition and precognition by any chance? :wink:

TheLoneWolf
05-22-2010, 10:59 PM
Is that a sign of Nadal winning USO this year? :wink: Are you the master of pattern recognition and precognition by any chance? :wink:
LOL. No, Dimension. I don't know if Rafa will win USO this year. It would flow nicely though along with the rest of his achievements.

Thank you and gold soundz though for recognizing the irony in some people declaring that "Rafa will never win USO." Similar things were said of him in the past, and see how that turned out. :)

TheLoneWolf
05-22-2010, 11:00 PM
Haha very nicely done
Thank you, sir. You are a fellow Simpsons fan, eh? :)

gold soundz
05-22-2010, 11:10 PM
Thank you, sir. You are a fellow Simpsons fan, eh? :)

I darn-diddly am :)

TheLoneWolf
05-22-2010, 11:12 PM
I darn-diddly am :)
Okieliedokelie, neighborino! :)

P.S.: In my previous job I had the fortune to attend a lecture by Mike Reiss (one of the writers of the show, particularly of some early classic episodes.) Really funny guy.

TennisandMusic
05-22-2010, 11:14 PM

Picard has one righteous bend in his forearm there. I'd really like to ask him how one manages such a feat. Frankly it looks like someone else's arm coming out of his sleeve and giving him a nice facial massage.

TheLoneWolf
05-22-2010, 11:17 PM
Picard has one righteous bend in his forearm there. I'd really like to ask him how one manages such a feat. Frankly it looks like someone else's arm coming out of his sleeve and giving him a nice facial massage.
LOL. Maybe it's one of those crazy Holo-deck (or whatever it's called) simulations.

vortex1
05-22-2010, 11:23 PM
Of course Nadal can win USO. People are quick to forget that Nadal actually owns most of the ball bashers, he just happened to get unlucky and run into them when injured or when they play best tennis of their life for that one match.

aceX
05-22-2010, 11:27 PM
Of course Nadal can win USO. People are quick to forget that Nadal actually owns most of the ball bashers, he just happened to get unlucky and run into them when injured or when they play best tennis of their life for that one match.

Although del po beat him 3 times last year

aceX
05-22-2010, 11:32 PM
For sure I can win the U.S. Open.

Nuff said.

Sentinel
05-23-2010, 12:05 AM

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww !

Sentinel
05-23-2010, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by Rafael Nadal
For sure I can win the U.S. Open if I not injured or tired.

Fix'd dat...

angiebaby
05-23-2010, 12:40 AM

Hilarious :) . Those predictions don't seem quite so clever now do they? Just goes to show that one should never say never.

Originally Posted by Mustard

I agree. This might be the year he pulls it off.

boredone3456
05-23-2010, 05:43 AM

Gotta love this, either you vote yes or you are a hater. Sort of like the extremist fed fans who say either you believe Fed is GOAT or you are a disrespectful hater, if you want people to take you seriously, I wouldn't post things like this.

aceX
05-23-2010, 06:23 AM
Gotta love this, either you vote yes or you are a hater. Sort of like the extremist fed fans who say either you believe Fed is GOAT or you are a disrespectful hater, if you want people to take you seriously, I wouldn't post things like this.

lol, take me seriously? I don't even take myself seriously. This board should be fun, else what's the point in coming here?

Legend of Borg
05-23-2010, 06:25 AM
lol, take me seriously? I don't even take myself seriously. This board should be fun, else what's the point in coming here?

Some people use this board to unleash their bottled up fury. Not me of course.:)

aceX
05-23-2010, 07:12 AM
I think if Nadal gets to US open final and faces federer, federer will probably throw away break points and tank.

Fed, you're the GOAT, but Nadal's in your head man!

joeri888
05-23-2010, 07:38 AM
Def. not saying he won't. He'll favour his chances against the biggest mountain on any surface. But it'll be tough for him, and I think odds are he won't.

pmerk34
05-23-2010, 09:42 AM
I think if Nadal gets to US open final and faces federer, federer will probably throw away break points and tank.

I doubt Federer reads this board and your second line is nonsense anyway. Nadal head to head is a better player than Federer. Nadal is the only player in the world who consistently beats Roger in best of 5 set matches. Nadal wears Roger out physically during these matches. Your line about "throwing away break points and tanking" is just insulting. Do you even watch their matches? Or do you just come here to claim Rogers has some mysterious mental weakness?

Nadal's forehand to Rogers backhand bothers him to no end and Nadal is so good he can direct his FH to Rogers BH with precision an amazing amount of time inducing errors and short balls. Roger cannot ace Rafa as much as he wants to so he goes for more on his 1st serve and misses because Rafa pummels his second serve. Rafa not only runs down all of Rogers shots but always does some amazing things with shots on the run. In short Nadal is a bad match up for Roger physically and always has been.

I don't think Fed will ever beat him again in a best of 5 set match. If you insist on bringing up mental psychobabble I will give you this: Federer has no confidence against Nadal anymore and with good reason.

Hitman
05-23-2010, 09:52 AM
I doubt Federer reads this board and your second line is nonsense anyway. Nadal head to head is a better player than Federer. Nadal is the only player in the world who consistently beats Roger in best of 5 set matches. Nadal wears Roger out physically during these matches. Your line about "throwing away break points and tanking" is just insulting. Do you even watch their matches? Or do you just come here to claim Rogers has some mysterious mental weakness?

Nadal's forehand to Rogers backhand bothers him to no end and Nadal is so good he can direct his FH to Rogers BH with precision an amazing amount of time inducing errors and short balls. Roger cannot ace Rafa as much as he wants to so he goes for more on his 1st serve and misses because Rafa pummels his second serve. Rafa not only runs down all of Rogers shots but always does some amazing things with shots on the run. In short Nadal is a bad match up for Roger physically and always has been.

I don't think Fed will ever beat him again in a best of 5 set match. If you insist on bringing up mental psychobabble I will give you this: Federer has no confidence against Nadal anymore and with good reason.

The bolded bit is why Roger fails to convert on BPs. Rafa's speed, and ability to hit incredible winners when even off balance makes Roger second guess his play, which again happened in Madrid. He is not too sure whether he should be overly agressive, which sometime causes the ball to go out, or not, start a rally where he gives the advantage to Rafa.

The fact he can create numerous BPs shows that he can play Rafa tight, and make it competitive, despite having his backhand assaulted. If he was so incapciatated by that particular play, he would not have so many chances. Rafa's speed, balance, and deadly passing shots are what trouble Federer in critical moments, causing him to be indecisive with his gameplan.

I agree with most of what you written, expect that he will never win again. I won't count him out yet.

paulorenzo
05-23-2010, 10:28 AM

there's a difference between tanking and choking.

TheLoneWolf
05-23-2010, 10:37 AM

It's not mysterious. Rafa owns Fed mentally, and that is a fact. If Federer was Spanish everyone would accuse him of being Nadal's lapdog.

Talker
05-23-2010, 10:50 AM
He has a chance. Not the best HC player but he's up there.
A good draw, a few top HC players being off some is all it takes.

dh003i
05-23-2010, 11:28 AM
The *********s are rampant in this thread.

Federer is just the better player, accept it. Nadal will never win 3 GS in one year, he certainly won't do it 3 times. He won't have an 81-4 season, or a 92-5 season. He won't get close to 16 slams.

Federer certainly can beat Nadal in a best of 5, even on clay. He has added to his game, and Nadal really doesn't have a good answer to his drop shots. Nadal's still the favorite on clay, but Federer is hte favorite everywhere else. Nadal needed his best-ever level to beat a Federer not returning well at Wimbledon (and that was eeked out 9-7 in the 5th). And he needed also his best-ever level, and Federer serving horribly (sorry, *******s, but the idea that it was 'because of Nadal' is ludicrous, as he's served much much better vs. Nadal in their other matches) to win the AO in 5. And that was still a match where Federer played better until the 5th, and really had the match on his racket.

Nadal's best ever level beats a Federer returning poorly on grass, and his best ever level beats a Federer serving awfully on HC...in 5 sets. Federer's peak performances on grass & HC are just something that Nadal wouldn't be able to beat.

Cyan
05-23-2010, 11:32 AM
With a draw like the one at AO2009 why not?

pmerk34
05-23-2010, 11:40 AM
It's not mysterious. Rafa owns Fed mentally, and that is a fact. If Federer was Spanish everyone would accuse him of being Nadal's lapdog.

Rafa owns him because he beats him for the reasons I stated. Stop insulting the players with this psychobabble garbage

Mustard
05-23-2010, 11:40 AM
Federer's peak performances on grass & HC are just something that Nadal wouldn't be able to beat.

Like 2006 Dubai? Nadal was getting crushed, but found a way to win.

pmerk34
05-23-2010, 11:48 AM
[QUOTE]The *********s are rampant in this thread.

I'm not one of them.

Federer is just the better player, accept it. Nadal will never win 3 GS in one year, he certainly won't do it 3 times. He won't have an 81-4 season, or a 92-5 season. He won't get close to 16 slams.

Who is disputing any of that?

Federer certainly can beat Nadal in a best of 5, even on clay.

When is going to show us this? I have seen nothing from their matches the last few years to show me Fed is capable of beating Nadal in a best of 5 set on any surface, let alone clay.

He has added to his game, and Nadal really doesn't have a good answer to his drop shots. Nadal's still the favorite on clay, but Federer is hte favorite everywhere else. Nadal needed his best-ever level to beat a Federer not returning well at Wimbledon (and that was eeked out 9-7 in the 5th). And he needed also his best-ever level, and Federer serving horribly (sorry, *******s, but the idea that it was 'because of Nadal' is ludicrous, as he's served much much better vs. Nadal in their other matches) to win the AO in 5. And that was still a match where Federer played better until the 5th, and really had the match on his racket.

Sorry mate but reviewing these losses doesn't help your case. Federer is not getting better BTW I think he peaked at the 2007 AO IMO.

Nadal's best ever level beats a Federer returning poorly on grass, and his best ever level beats a Federer serving awfully on HC...in 5 sets. Federer's peak performances on grass & HC are just something that Nadal wouldn't be able to beat.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. The last 3 grand slams finals they have met Nadal is 3-0.

TheLoneWolf
05-23-2010, 11:51 AM
The *********s are rampant in this thread.

Federer certainly can beat Nadal in a best of 5, even on clay. He has added to his game, and Nadal really doesn't have a good answer to his drop shots. Nadal's still the favorite on clay, but Federer is hte favorite everywhere else. Nadal needed his best-ever level to beat a Federer not returning well at Wimbledon (and that was eeked out 9-7 in the 5th). And he needed also his best-ever level, and Federer serving horribly (sorry, *******s, but the idea that it was 'because of Nadal' is ludicrous, as he's served much much better vs. Nadal in their other matches) to win the AO in 5. And that was still a match where Federer played better until the 5th, and really had the match on his racket.

Your reasoning is typical of *******s. Nadal can beat Fed outside of clay only when Nadal is playing his best and Fed is playing poorly. Forget Wimby 07, it never happened. As for the Hardcourt results, are you even aware that their Hardcourt H2H is even? Nadal was far from his best in Miami 04, where he handily came back from being down and took the match. How about Dubai 06? No mono then, and Nadal far from his best, yet Nadal managed to beat Federer again.

My point is: Fed is a great player. But to say he is the GOAT when he gets beaten 2 out of 3 times by a player that according to you is vastly inferior, is a joke.

TheLoneWolf
05-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Rafa owns him because he beats him for the reasons I stated. Stop insulting the players with this psychobabble garbage
What is garbage about it? Psychology in sports is extremely important.

West Coast Ace
05-23-2010, 11:55 AM
I voted no. Last year showed that big hitters - and guys who take the ball early like Davy - can own him on hard.

So, unless a lot of guys retire, get injured, I just don't see it - there will always be someone in his half of the draw to take him down.

Another parallel with Borg's career.

pmerk34
05-23-2010, 11:57 AM
What is garbage about it? Psychology in sports is extremely important.

That is true but Nadal has been a problem for Federer since they first met.

Fedbelly
05-23-2010, 12:03 PM
I believe that if he could go on a tear and also avoid delpo in the draw, nadal could one day win this most trashiest of slams.

TheLoneWolf
05-23-2010, 12:04 PM
That is true but Nadal has been a problem for Federer since they first met.
Yes, but I'm not stating that psychology was a factor then. I'm stating it is a factor now (and has been a problem for the past few years.)

T1000
05-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Do you promise to relocate to your ancestral troll bridge and never visit the forum again if Nadal wins the USO? Maybe you should put your money where your big Nadal hater mouth is. What do you say, chief? :)

Ok troll, Nadal wins the U.S. Open this year and I'm done with the forum but before I go I'll dedicate a thread to you and that you are smarter than me and that I lost the bet,

but

if Nadal doesn't win the U.s. Open this year you have to leave the boards forever and make the same thread I mentioned.

Deal kid?

pmerk34
05-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Yes, but I'm not stating that psychology was a factor then. I'm stating it is a factor now (and has been a problem for the past few years.)

I think the overriding factor is: Federer is not as good as he was in 2007. Nadal has gotten better since 2007.

drakulie
05-23-2010, 12:18 PM
My point is: Fed is a great player. But to say he is the GOAT

He is the GOAT. who cares what his head to head is with someone who for the major part of his career was unable to get deep into hard court finals, whereas, Fed, who is clearly past his prime continues to get to finals of his worst surface (clay).

Serendipitous
05-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Go Rafer!

http://threadbombing.com/data/media/3/he_sent_me_a_smiley.jpg

TheLoneWolf
05-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Ok troll, Nadal wins the U.S. Open this year and I'm done with the forum but before I go I'll dedicate a thread to you and that you are smarter than me and that I lost the bet,

but

if Nadal doesn't win the U.s. Open this year you have to leave the boards forever and make the same thread I mentioned.

Deal kid?
Why this year? The topic of the thread is whether Nadal can win the USO ever.

No reason to dedicate threads about how much more brilliant I am than you. Anybody with at least double the IQ points than you have can see that a mile away.

Nice try, sport. :)

TheLoneWolf
05-23-2010, 12:33 PM
I think the overriding factor is: Federer is not as good as he was in 2007. Nadal has gotten better since 2007.
I can accept that. I still think Federer has underperformed against Nadal, and that psychology is one of the factors why that has happened.

TMF
05-23-2010, 12:33 PM
Borg never won the USO
Mac never won the FO
Lendl never won the SW19
Sampras never won the FO

The odds are very good for Rafa not winning the USO. It's his worst surface too, so he may very well join with the other parties!

TheLoneWolf
05-23-2010, 12:34 PM
He is the GOAT. who cares what his head to head is with someone who for the major part of his career was unable to get deep into hard court finals, whereas, Fed, who is clearly past his prime continues to get to finals of his worst surface (clay).
Forget this era. By saying that Fed is GOAT you are saying he is better than Borg, Laver, Gonzalez, etc.

My whole point is that nobody is the GOAT. Fed has the best results of the Open Era. I agree to that, as that is a factual statement. All this GOAT nonsense is the stuff of fanboys' wet dreams, that's all it is.

Hitman
05-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Forget this era. By saying that Fed is GOAT you are saying he is better than Borg, Laver, Gonzalez, etc.

My whole point is that nobody is the GOAT. Fed has the best results of the Open Era. I agree to that, as that is a factual statement. All this GOAT nonsense is the stuff of fanboys wet dreams, that's all it is.

Would you say that we don't have GOAT of any particular surface either?

drakulie
05-23-2010, 12:37 PM
By saying that Fed is GOAT you are saying he is better than Borg, Laver, Gonzalez, etc.

He is. and by the way, who said those guys are better than Tilden??, whom Federer will absolutely demolish.

TheLoneWolf
05-23-2010, 12:39 PM
Would you say that we don't have GOAT of any particular surface either?
Yes. Nadal stands with Borg at the top, but out of respect for Borg I can't say Nadal is the best ever. He will likely become eventually the player with the best results on clay in the Open Era, just like Fed will become the player with the best results outside of clay in the Open Era. That's all there is to it. GOAT talk is plain silly.

LameTennisPlayer
05-23-2010, 12:40 PM
no! "he no speak americano" no?

Fedbelly
05-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Borg never won the USO
Mac never won the FO
Lendl never won the SW19
Sampras never won the FO

The odds are very good for Rafa not winning the USO. It's his worst surface too, so he may very well join with the other parties!

Do you have a pic of fed with lots of candles around it?

zagor
Certainly has a good chance if draw goes his way,he reached 2 SFs in a row there so it's not like he can't go deep.

TheLoneWolf
He is. and by the way, who said those guys are better than Tilden??, whom Federer will absolutely demolish.
Of course, add Tilden too.

You think Fed is better than those guys? Well, I guess everyone is entitled to their opinions. Had Borg and Fed, for example, been contemporaries, I wouldn't be too optimistic of Fed's chances. Due to Borg's dominance of both clay and grass, Federer might have well played second fiddle to him. Notice I say "might." All this talk is speculation, that's why speaking of GOAT, in my opinion, is flawed.

TMF
05-23-2010, 12:46 PM
Do you have a pic of fed with lots of candles around it?

https://connections-jazzage.wikispaces.com/file/view/QuestionMark.jpg/55291886/QuestionMark.jpg

Hitman
05-23-2010, 12:48 PM
Yes. Nadal stands with Borg at the top, but out of respect for Borg I can't say Nadal is the best ever. He will likely become eventually the player with the best results on clay in the Open Era, just like Fed will become the player with the best results outside of clay in the Open Era. That's all there is to it. GOAT talk is plain silly.

All due respect, and I like reading your posts. I don't follow.

You say there is no GOAT. Okay, fair enough. Then why is there a GOAT on a particiular surface if you can't comapre eras, competition, technology, sports supplements, training techniques, court speeds and players in their primes?

You can say who is the most accomplished results wise, but not the GOAT on any surface then.

drakulie
05-23-2010, 12:49 PM
You think Fed is better than those guys?

He is. fact. players get better over time. Period. any futures player today with a ranking of 500????/ will absolutely demolish Tilden, let alone a top 5 player like Fed or Nadal. Same goes for those other guys. Each generation is better than the one before.

TheLoneWolf
05-23-2010, 12:50 PM
All due respect, and I like reading your posts. I don't follow.

You say there is no GOAT. Okay, fair enough. Then why is there a GOAT on a particiular surface if you can't comapre eras, competition, technology, sports supplements, training techniques, court speeds and players in their primes?

You can say who is the most accomplished results wise, but not the GOAT on any surface then.
Did you read my post? Because that's exactly what I said: There is no GOAT anywhere because the concept is in itself invalid. So we basically agree (I think.)

TheLoneWolf
05-23-2010, 12:52 PM
He is. fact. players get better over time. Period. any futures player today with a ranking of 500????/ will absolutely demolish Tilden, let alone a top 5 player like Fed or Nadal. Same goes for those other guys. Each generation is better than the one before.
Sometimes I don't know if you are just kidding or not. If you are kidding, the post above is a nice funny comment (as a joke.) If you are not kidding, I honestly don't know what to say, but that I don't agree.

Hitman
05-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Did you read my post? Because that's exactly what I said: There is no GOAT anywhere because the concept is in itself invalid. So we basically agree (I think.)

Okay, looks like we agree.

drakulie
05-23-2010, 12:55 PM
It's not a joke. Tilden, who is considered among the greatest wouldn't stand a chance against a good D1 player today.

again, players of each generation are better than the ones before. They are faster, stronger, hit harder, with more pace/spin, etc. Just the way it is. It's called evolution. Go look it up.

West Coast Ace
05-23-2010, 12:56 PM
Borg never won the USO
Mac never won the FO
Lendl never won the SW19
Sampras never won the FO

The odds are very good for Rafa not winning the USO. It's his worst surface too, so he may very well join with the other parties!Well thought out and presented. I agree 100%. When only 6 guys have done something, many others have gotten close and failed, it's not unreasonable to think it won't happen again for quite a while.

Certainly has a good chance if draw goes his way,he reached 2 SFs in a row there so it's not like he can't go deep.Recent hardcourt results would go against this. There is now a pretty easy pattern to beat him.

Of course, add Tilden too.

You think Fed is better than those guys? Well, I guess everyone is entitled to their opinions. Had Borg and Fed, for example, been contemporaries, I wouldn't be too optimistic of Fed's chances. Due to Borg's dominance of both clay and grass, Federer might have well played second fiddle to him. Notice I say "might." All this talk is speculation, that's why speaking of GOAT, in my opinion, is flawed.Did you forget Borg only beat JMac once in the Wimby final? Barely. And Fed's game is a ton bigger than JMac.

On a related note, I'm reading 'A Terrible Splendor' about the US v Germany Davis Cup match. Excellent book. And for those who aren't familiar with the achievements of Budge, Tilden, and von Cramm, you might want to read it. In addition to the discussion of the lead-up to WWII.

big bang
05-23-2010, 01:14 PM
It's not a joke. Tilden, who is considered among the greatest wouldn't stand a chance against a good D1 player today.

again, players of each generation are better than the ones before. They are faster, stronger, hit harder, with more pace/spin, etc. Just the way it is. It's called evolution. Go look it up.
interesting point there drak! what about the Nadal-Borg (clay GOAT) discussion then, you think Nadal would completely destroy Borg on clay if both players where in their primes?

drakulie
05-23-2010, 01:58 PM
interesting point there drak! what about the Nadal-Borg (clay GOAT) discussion then, you think Nadal would completely destroy Borg on clay if both players where in their primes?

I think at this point it is safe to say Nadal would beat up anyone from that generation on clay handily.

big bang
05-23-2010, 02:34 PM
I think at this point it is safe to say Nadal would beat up anyone from that generation on clay handily.
I agree with you:) just had a discussion yesterday with a 50 year old at my club. Hes a former national champion and still playing very good clay court tennis. Hes a big fan of Borg and claims that Borg would beat Nadal even with his wooden frame LOL:) we seem to have this diskussion every year around FO.

drakulie
05-23-2010, 02:53 PM
I agree with you:) just had a discussion yesterday with a 50 year old at my club. Hes a former national champion and still playing very good clay court tennis. Hes a big fan of Borg and claims that Borg would beat Nadal even with his wooden frame LOL:) we seem to have this diskussion every year around FO.

yeah, ask him if he thinks tilden was hitting 100 mph groundies, like many "experts" report. :roll: delusional. fact is, you look at Borgs swing, and it is way slower than the players of today. Different stroke than that of today's players.

big bang
05-23-2010, 03:23 PM
I agree once again!
when discussing this with some of these old-timers (at my club and at this board), they allways bring arguments like Borgs athletism, his endurance, his mental strenght, his quickness and his abillity to outlast his opponents and run down every ball.
my arguments:
Borg was quick yes, but he might have looked even quicker because the game was played at a slower pace!
I think pretty much all the top players endurance is as good as Borgs was, they play a more demanding game than he was.
Borg wouldnt be able to run down every ball today, the game is just too fast and he would have been over powered.

the question about Borg vs. Nadal: I cant see how Borg would stand a chance, he had no big weapons and Nadal would make him sprint all over the court forcing Borg to make UE.

T1000
05-23-2010, 03:43 PM
Why this year? The topic of the thread is whether Nadal can win the USO ever.

No reason to dedicate threads about how much more brilliant I am than you. Anybody with at least double the IQ points than you have can see that a mile away.

Nice try, sport. :)

Coward, grow a pair before you challenge me if you're not willing to accept it. Typical *******/fed hater behavior. You're not even close to being smarter than me at all, it's actually the opposite. You called me out I accepted it then you run away.

TheLoneWolf
05-23-2010, 09:23 PM

What happened to looking at each player in the context of his time? The only way you can measure a player is by his relative performance against other players in his time, and by the intrinsic qualities of his game.

Sure players are for the most part stronger and faster now. The equipment is better due to technological advances. But that does not make players of the past inferior to players of the present at all. Just my opinion.

TheLoneWolf
05-23-2010, 09:31 PM
Did you forget Borg only beat JMac once in the Wimby final? Barely. And Fed's game is a ton bigger than JMac.

On a related note, I'm reading 'A Terrible Splendor' about the US v Germany Davis Cup match. Excellent book. And for those who aren't familiar with the achievements of Budge, Tilden, and von Cramm, you might want to read it. In addition to the discussion of the lead-up to WWII.
I'm sorry, but Borg and McEnroe played twice in Wimbledon. The first time Borg won, and the second (which was not at a very good time for Borg, prior to his premature retirement) McEnroe won. McEnroe was no slouch either, to say that Federer would have killed McEnroe in the Wimby grass consistently is purely speculation.

Thanks for the recommendation on that book, it does sound really interesting.

TheLoneWolf
05-23-2010, 09:35 PM
Coward, grow a pair before you challenge me if you're not willing to accept it. Typical *******/fed hater behavior. You're not even close to being smarter than me at all, it's actually the opposite. You called me out I accepted it then you run away.
I really don't want to get into another fight as I just came out of a ban for engaging into discussion a goon not unlike you.

Read the title of this thread before flapping your gums, chief. The challenge is still up if you want to accept it.

By the way, both my brain hemispheres and my testicles are way bigger than yours. And I do far better use of both as well. :)

cknobman
05-24-2010, 07:38 AM
Sure he will in 2014 when the USO converts to clay.

eagle
05-24-2010, 07:45 AM
Of all the players today outside of Federer, he has the best and most realistic chance of winning a career/golden slam.

No one even comes close.

Who else these days have a slam win?

Djokovic = 1
Del Potro = 1

Anyone else?

Until someone wins at least 3 different majors like Nadal, he is the only one today that could potentially achieve the career slam.

Regardless of his record at the USO, if he steps onto the court, he has a chance to win the tourney. As they say, Any Given Sunday.

r,
eagle

pmerk34
05-24-2010, 07:48 AM
Of all the players today outside of Federer, he has the best and most realistic chance of winning a career/golden slam.

No one even comes close.

Who else these days have a slam win?

Djokovic = 1
Del Potro = 1

Anyone else?

Until someone wins at least 3 different majors like Nadal, he is the only one today that could potentially achieve the career slam.

Regardless of his record at the USO, if he steps onto the court, he has a chance to win the tourney.

r,
eagle

Nadal will do it if the player in the final he faces is Federer.

ChopShot
05-24-2010, 07:50 AM

On Fast HC. Surely you're joking. He may have a hypothetical chance to win it, just like Rog has a hypothetical chance to win an RG final against Rafa, but Roger will be the heavy favorite, and definitely the most likely winner.

pmerk34
05-24-2010, 07:51 AM
On Fast HC. Surely you're joking. He may have a hypothetical chance to win it, just like Rog has a hypothetical chance to win an RG final against Rafa, but Roger will be the heavy favorite, and definitely the most likely winner.

Rafa owns him in best of 5. I don't care if they are playing on a carpet.

ChopShot
05-24-2010, 08:01 AM
Rafa owns him in best of 5. I don't care if they are playing on a carpet.

Oh, i do so feel an inclination to ring a ******* bell here, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. If they were playing on carpet - Rafa would be flat out slaughtered, the way Fed is on clay. Notice how Rafa always bows out to big, flat hitters on fast HC, well Fed is just exactly that, with an extra dimension. That, and fast HC almost negates the effect of Rafas big spinny stuff. Do remember, that on non-clay surfaces, Roger has the better h-2-h. Don't be deluded by the fact that Rafa beat Rog Down Under last year, that's slow hardcourt, snail-pace slow compared to Flushing Meadows.

Starfury
05-24-2010, 08:12 AM
How many people have said Federer would never win the French Open, when only one player managed to beat him there from 2005-2008?
And now Nadal's supposed to have a good chance at winning the US Open when he's been beaten by Del Potro, Murray, Ferrer, Youzhny and Blake in the last 5 years?

Either people have learned from their mistakes in predicting the future, or there's some huge double standard at work. :D

Mustard
05-24-2010, 08:15 AM
How many people have said Federer would never win the French Open, when only one player managed to beat him there from 2005-2008?
And now Nadal's supposed to have a good chance at winning the US Open when he's been beaten by Del Potro, Murray, Ferrer, Youzhny and Blake in the last 5 years?

Either people have learned from their mistakes in predicting the future, or there's some huge double standard at work. :D

People said Federer wouldn't win the French Open because Nadal was so dominant there and thrashed Federer in the 2008 final. Nadal is capable of beating anyone on hardcourts on certain days, even those who pose him trouble like Djokovic and del Potro.

pmerk34
05-24-2010, 08:15 AM

No, I just don't believe Roger can beat Nadal in best of 5 sets anymore. The rest of your post is irrelevant.

ksbh
05-24-2010, 08:20 AM
Not true. In any case, even if it were true, there are exceptions. Andy Roddick for example. We know he doesn't mind losing 8 finals to Federer. We'll need to ask him if that applies to some of the former greats as well :)

ksbh
05-24-2010, 08:23 AM
As improbable as it sounds, it's likely what will happen if they face off at the U.S Open!

flyinghippos101
05-24-2010, 08:23 AM
Not true. In any case, even if it were true, there are exceptions. Andy Roddick for example. We know he doesn't mind losing 8 finals to Federer. We'll need to ask him if that applies to some of the former greats as well :)

what? Fed and Roddick are in the same generation of players

ksbh
05-24-2010, 08:27 AM
Hippo, what I meant to say was that if Roddick, for example, didn't mind losing 8 finals to, let's say Agassi, then Drakulie's theory won't apply! Of course, when Roddick's done losing 8 finals, he'll be unstoppable! :)

what? Fed and Roddick are in the same generation of players

Starfury
05-24-2010, 08:59 AM
People said Federer wouldn't win the French Open because Nadal was so dominant there and thrashed Federer in the 2008 final. Nadal is capable of beating anyone on hardcourts on certain days, even those who pose him trouble like Djokovic and del Potro.
Or to turn it around, if for any reason Nadal isn't there to beat him, Federer is and was the odds-on favourite to win the French, while Nadal who's can beat anyone (but also can and has lost to a wide variety), still is only a contender if any one player is missing.

And don't think I'm saying Nadal can't win the USO, my only point is that it takes at least as many if not more good circumstances as Fed's French Open victory took

No, I just don't believe Roger can beat Nadal in best of 5 sets anymore. The rest of your post is irrelevant.
And you believe this based on what? Fed's 2008-early 2009 "slump" where he lost 3 times to Nadal or Nadal's spring 2009-early 2010 slump which prevented any further best of five matches?

(btw, you ignoring part of an argument doesn't make it irrelevant, it makes it inconvenient)

aceX
06-10-2010, 01:22 PM

Nadal has a chance to beat Federer in a US Open final for the same reason he beat Fed in the Wimbly and A Open finals. Nadal's all up inside his head.

pmerk34
06-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Or to turn it around, if for any reason Nadal isn't there to beat him, Federer is and was the odds-on favourite to win the French, while Nadal who's can beat anyone (but also can and has lost to a wide variety), still is only a contender if any one player is missing.

And don't think I'm saying Nadal can't win the USO, my only point is that it takes at least as many if not more good circumstances as Fed's French Open victory took

And you believe this based on what? Fed's 2008-early 2009 "slump" where he lost 3 times to Nadal or Nadal's spring 2009-early 2010 slump which prevented any further best of five matches?

(btw, you ignoring part of an argument doesn't make it irrelevant, it makes it inconvenient)

Based on Nadal beating him everytime they have played best of 5 sets since 2008.

pmerk34
06-10-2010, 02:19 PM
Nadal has a chance to beat Federer in a US Open final for the same reason he beat Fed in the Wimbly and A Open finals. Nadal's all up inside his head.

What a crock. Nadal is a terrible physical match up for Federer and has been since day 1. Federer should have no confidence against him a best of 5 set match because he has absolutely no reason to be. Nadal has an answer for everything Fed can do.

TheTruth
06-10-2010, 02:22 PM
Hilarious :) . Those predictions don't seem quite so clever now do they? Just goes to show that one should never say never.

I agree. This might be the year he pulls it off.

Wouldn't that be sweet?

swordtennis
06-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Nadal is the favorite 2 win Wimbledon and the USO this year 4 sure. He is #1 and playing better than everyone.

TheTruth
06-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Def. not saying he won't. He'll favour his chances against the biggest mountain on any surface. But it'll be tough for him, and I think odds are he won't.

Umm, what?:confused::confused:.

I'm kidding, that was too hard to resist:).

aceX
06-10-2010, 02:29 PM
The only time Federer has beaten Nadal in a GS final is on his home court at Wimbledon (twice). All that changed in 2008. Federer is mentally scarred from the 2008 RG, 2008 Wimbly and 2009 AO finals

aceX
06-10-2010, 02:31 PM
What a crock.

So you don't believe Nadal has a chance to beat Federer in a US Open final?

TheTruth
06-10-2010, 02:34 PM

Agree.

There is no way to measure across decades with nutrition, equipment, surfaces, etc. Laver won his slams on grass, no way do you get a fair assessment when these guys are playing on hardcourts. It's all apples and oranges, and only those who seek superiority continue to make these fallacious claims.

Legend of Borg
06-10-2010, 02:34 PM
The only time Federer has beaten Nadal in a GS final is on his home court at Wimbledon (twice). All that changed in 2008. Federer is mentally scarred from the 2008 RG, 2008 Wimbly and 2009 AO finals

Mentally scarred, what did he fight in WW2? A mental block perhaps, but not PTSD.

aceX
06-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Mentally scarred, what did he fight in WW2? A mental block perhaps, but not PTSD.

I mean mentally scarred. He's an emotional person.

theroleoftheunderdog
06-10-2010, 03:45 PM

so scarred that he has since plummeted out of the top 100 and gone through a guadio-like dropoff

statto
06-10-2010, 03:46 PM
I think Nadal is inside Federer's head as well as being a bad matchup for him. The triple whammie of RG'08, W'08 and AO'09 took a big toll on him.

I think that was eased a tad by Madrid '09, but that relief was short-lived when Fed saw Nadal go out to Soderling a week or so later and all the stuff with Nadal's knees came out.

I think it's almost a toss of a coin as to whether he gets the US or not. Voted yes because he has a consistency that only Federer beats (by that I mean that I can see the potential for JMDP, Murray, Soderling, Roddick, Djokovic et al to have a bad day at the office and go out to virtually anyone), and if it is a final between him and Federer then I think Nadal will have a small edge, even given the surface.

aceX
06-10-2010, 03:56 PM
so scarred that he has since plummeted out of the top 100 and gone through a guadio-like dropoff

Exactly. I'm glad you understand

roysid
06-10-2010, 08:47 PM
I think Nadal will come close every year but not win it.

aceX
06-11-2010, 01:17 AM
I think Nadal will come close every year but not win it.

How many years do you think he will enter?

zagor
06-11-2010, 01:42 AM
He's 100% winning USO this year,it's already in the bag.

Big congrats to Nadal for winning USO and getting career slam!

pmerk34
06-11-2010, 04:18 AM
So you don't believe Nadal has a chance to beat Federer in a US Open final?

I beleive Nadal will beat Federer in any best of 5 set match, so yes he would beat him at the US Open. I just don't beleive it's some mysterious mental problem. Nadal outplays him period.

Slazenger07
06-11-2010, 07:59 AM

Ummmm. no way Jose

Slazenger07
06-11-2010, 08:00 AM

I hope youre right...

jackson vile
06-11-2010, 08:34 AM
What do you think?

Nadal already has:
- Australian Open
- French Open
- Wimbledon
- Olympic Gold

He has Davis Cup as well, that is extremely difficult to accomplish, what other players have that?

Mustard
06-11-2010, 10:41 AM
He has Davis Cup as well, that is extremely difficult to accomplish, what other players have that?

Andre Agassi.

Australian Open: 1995, 2000, 2001, 2003
French Open: 1999
Wimbledon: 1992
US Open: 1994, 1999

Olympics: 1996
Davis Cup: 1990, 1992

aceX
06-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Andre Agassi.

Australian Open: 1995, 2000, 2001, 2003
French Open: 1999
Wimbledon: 1992
US Open: 1994, 1999

Olympics: 1996
Davis Cup: 1990, 1992

+
Year End Championships: 1990

Wow, Agassi is the man.

aceX
06-15-2010, 05:59 PM

Cool story bro

valiant
06-15-2010, 06:52 PM
I had this dream yesterday that Nadal won US open beating federer in final :(

abraxas21
06-15-2010, 07:01 PM

lol, put down the pipe.

Tony48
06-15-2010, 07:01 PM
Nadal would need a really, really, really favorable draw in order to win the U.S. Open.

The Baseline
06-15-2010, 07:47 PM
i dont think nadal will ever beat juan del potro in new york. i also see an ernest gulbis type player giving him problems in new york. andy murray as well.

kishnabe
06-15-2010, 08:15 PM
He will get through somehow like Federer did in FO2009. Anything can happen...If Nadal can push every guy that is playing hot or playing towards Nadal weakness in 5 Sets....Nadal will be least likely to crack than the other.

If anything I want Nadal to win US OPEN by playing 35 sets !

aceX
06-15-2010, 10:09 PM

Consecutive semifinals say otherwise

DragonBlaze
06-15-2010, 11:12 PM
Just watched the video.

"He is going to overpower a lot of people in his career" - commentator

I only wish he kept that FH.

Honestly, if Nadal brings back that forehand, I would be an instant fan of his!!!! That was some awesome display of power and it is wayyyyyyyy more enjoyable than his defensive stuff on hardcourts. What a shame he doesnt play like that.

Limpinhitter
06-15-2010, 11:40 PM
If Nadal spends as much time improving his serve as he has improving his backhand, he has a chance.

angiebaby
06-15-2010, 11:43 PM
Rafa's playing a little bit smarter now, not just with his scheduling (which he now seems to be taking seriously) but also with the variety of shots in his game and when he plays them. I really think we're going to see a different Rafa come HC season; not radically different but he'll make the tweaks that have been necessary to do better on that surface.

Considering he's been consistently making semis in HC events even without those tweaks, I'd say Rafa stands a very good shot at winning USO this year.

NamRanger
06-15-2010, 11:45 PM
Consecutive semifinals say otherwise

Look at who he played to get to those semi-finals. He was fortunate to avoid most of the good HCs players.

davey25
06-15-2010, 11:56 PM
Look at who he played to get to those semi-finals. He was fortunate to avoid most of the good HCs players.

And who are these HC players.

Roger Federer- has sucked bigtime on hard courts since Australia

Novak Djokovic- almost impossible for Rafa to beat on a hard court, especialy a faster one, if he were in top form but is struggling in a big way right now and seems to be lacking motivation, heart, and confidence.

Andy Murray- also seems to be struggling quite a bit since the Australian Open.

Andy Roddick- playing pretty well but it would be a stretch to see him win another hard court slam by now.

Marian Cilic- seems to be going through a sophomore slump of sorts.

Del Potro- wont even play the Open this year.

Davydenko- when will he be back? Anyway not a bigtime slam performer. Never even made a slam final yet.

Soderling- could be a tough matchup for Nadal on hard courts, but I think Nadal will take alot of confidence from the smackdown he gave Soderling in the FO final even if it was on clay.

Verdasco- Nadal's pigeon. Couldnt even beat Nadal playing the tennis of his life at the Aussie Open last year.

Tsonga- Nadal hasnt lost to him since the AO thumpdown of 08 (despite all matches being on hard courts since), and in their last hard court meeting that sort of scoreline was reveresed.

Berdych- hasnt taken a set off Nadal since 2006 now on any surface.

aceX
06-16-2010, 12:03 AM

Yeah because anyone who's not top 10 player is worthless trash.
You don't pick your draws, mate

aaziz
06-16-2010, 12:13 AM
What do you think?

Nadal already has:
- Australian Open
- French Open
- Wimbledon
- Olympic Gold

he is a warrior on any surface, after fed retirement, if he cuts down his schedule , he can sure win it, he showed this at AO 2009

Spider
06-16-2010, 12:17 AM
Well many people had predicted he may never win slams outside of clay, he proved them wrong winning both Wimbledon and AO. Many predicted he may never become the world number one; he got that previously, and is back again to that position.

My prediction, he is more than capable of winning US open.

caulcano
06-16-2010, 04:33 AM
Well many people had predicted he may never win slams outside of clay, he proved them wrong winning both Wimbledon and AO. Many predicted he may never become the world number one; he got that previously, and is back again to that position.

My prediction, he is more than capable of winning US open.

I think those predicting Nadal would never win slams outside of clay were Nadal haters.

IMO, if Nadal stays healthy & has no injury problems for the next few years then I'm sure he'll have a good chance as anyone.

Federer won the 2009 FO, with a bit of luck and maybe that is what Nadal needs.

NamRanger
06-16-2010, 07:20 AM
And who are these HC players.

Roger Federer- has sucked bigtime on hard courts since Australia

Novak Djokovic- almost impossible for Rafa to beat on a hard court, especialy a faster one, if he were in top form but is struggling in a big way right now and seems to be lacking motivation, heart, and confidence.

Andy Murray- also seems to be struggling quite a bit since the Australian Open.

Andy Roddick- playing pretty well but it would be a stretch to see him win another hard court slam by now.

Marian Cilic- seems to be going through a sophomore slump of sorts.

Del Potro- wont even play the Open this year.

Davydenko- when will he be back? Anyway not a bigtime slam performer. Never even made a slam final yet.

Soderling- could be a tough matchup for Nadal on hard courts, but I think Nadal will take alot of confidence from the smackdown he gave Soderling in the FO final even if it was on clay.

Verdasco- Nadal's pigeon. Couldnt even beat Nadal playing the tennis of his life at the Aussie Open last year.

Tsonga- Nadal hasnt lost to him since the AO thumpdown of 08 (despite all matches being on hard courts since), and in their last hard court meeting that sort of scoreline was reveresed.

Berdych- hasnt taken a set off Nadal since 2006 now on any surface.

Basing on form right now is nothing; back then there were many GREAT hardcourt players that Nadal consistently avoided. Don't tell me his USO Open draws were hard, because they were relatively easy.

seffina
06-16-2010, 07:37 AM
Basing on form right now is nothing; back then there were many GREAT hardcourt players that Nadal consistently avoided. Don't tell me his USO Open draws were hard, because they were relatively easy.
The last two years, they definitely were not the most difficult ones. But I still think he has a chance this year to make it to the final (not win - I think Roger would beat him on a fast hard court) based on the form of those players that used to trouble him. This year, he has lost to Murray, Ljubicic, and Roddick. Murray would be difficult to beat again even if he's in poor form, because he really plays some of his best stuff against Rafa. But AndyR and Ljubicic, IMO if either of those matches were a best of five, I would've favored Rafa. Same with Cilic and Davydenko (who beat him last year).

So while all these top 50 players are capable of troubling him, I only think Murray, Djokovic (again plays much better against Rafa), Del Potro, and Federer can beat him. Federer, he wouldn't face until the final. Del Potro is out. Murray and DJokovic aren't at their best, so there's a chance for him to make the final this year.

Of course, Rafa's form could worsen and the others could improve, but I do think this year would be one of his best opportunities.

veroniquem
06-16-2010, 07:39 AM
I have no doubt he will.

Cyan
06-16-2010, 12:01 PM
Like I said earlier, he needs luck with the draw like at AO 2009...

davey25
06-16-2010, 01:06 PM

Yes I agree with that, but arent we discussing his chances for this particular year of future years in the thread.

aceX
06-16-2010, 07:58 PM
I have no doubt he will.

A nice strong answer there.

He's the world #1 and yet he still has the dedication to keep getting better - his serve definitely has room for improvement.

TheTruth
06-16-2010, 09:26 PM
I think he will.

Fate Archer
06-16-2010, 09:33 PM
I think he will at some point, but that's gonna be one hell of a battle. Those hardcourts are really tough on his body and game.

patty_mnouchkine
06-16-2010, 09:37 PM
curse of the borg

aceX
06-17-2010, 03:00 PM
curse of the borg?

Legend of Borg
06-17-2010, 03:04 PM
curse of the borg?

He never won it. Said something about the lights and the atmosphere bothering him.

In the legend's own words:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8gVbXBQDZw

aceX
06-17-2010, 03:35 PM
Oh, wow four finals but no wins

roddickslover
06-17-2010, 03:42 PM
He will win US Open at least once.

Mun
06-17-2010, 03:45 PM
Nadal completed the 3 surfaces Grand Slam at 22! that's all that matters! US Open is just another hardcourt slam like the Aussie Open, it's only important to win slams on all surfaces and Nadal already did it!!!!

muzza123
06-17-2010, 03:57 PM
Jusst can't see it.

I'm always going to fancy a murray or djoko to beat him at the semi's of the USO.

muzza123
06-17-2010, 03:59 PM
and i certainly can't see nads making as many USO finals as borg

muzza123
06-17-2010, 04:03 PM
and i reckon nads has another 3 years max in which he can genuinely compete for the USO

having said that, i would not be surprised if another injury just emerges out of the blue during a match at USO 2010, ala AO 2010. I mean, who saw that abdominal injury coming? I don't think for one second that he's fully healed or that his knee probs are behind him. Exit the clay and grass season and it's knee-worrying time for him again.

muzza123
06-17-2010, 04:05 PM
Nope. Here is why

2005 - **** draw, can't even get past James Blake
2006 - Another easy draw, loses against Youzhny.
2007 - With his easiest draw to date, he loses against Ferrer
2008 - don't get me started, no one could have asked for a better draw. If he couldn't win it that year then he never will
2009 - it was a pretty tough draw, but played one top 10 player and got beatdown by JMDP.

Nadal has had his luck with his draws and the US open. And at best he can manage a few semi finals. There is always someone who will beat him there. I mean, who is the best player Nadal has beaten at the US open?

Couldn't have it said it better myself.

bolo
06-17-2010, 04:12 PM
and i reckon nads has another 3 years max in which he can genuinely compete for the USO

having said that, i would not be surprised if another injury just emerges out of the blue during a match at USO 2010, ala AO 2010. I mean, who saw that abdominal injury coming? I don't think for one second that he's fully healed or that his knee probs are behind him. Exit the clay and grass season and it's knee-worrying time for him again.

Good post, although it was a knee injury at the AO not an abdominal. As soon as wimbledon is done he needs to go sleek on the hardcourt schedule and rebuild the knee stock that he used up in the 2008 and 2009 seasons.

Speranza
06-17-2010, 04:28 PM
Nadal completed the 3 surfaces Grand Slam at 22! that's all that matters! US Open is just another hardcourt slam like the Aussie Open, it's only important to win slams on all surfaces and Nadal already did it!!!!

Watson: Oh really!? Well, the matter is, if you asked El Boro wheth-

Holmes: El Toro, Watson, El Toro. You really need to brush up on your foreign languages.

Watson: Sorry, if you asked El Toro whether he'd think it important to win the US, or not to worry as he's won the AO, do you think he would say the same as you? ;) I doubt you'd be able to get another member here to agree with you, let alone El B- sorry, El Toro himself.

Besides, he's likely to win it anyway after he takes the Wimbledon crown.

muzza123
06-17-2010, 04:39 PM
Good post, although it was a knee injury at the AO not an abdominal. As soon as wimbledon is done he needs to go sleek on the hardcourt schedule and rebuild the knee stock that he used up in the 2008 and 2009 seasons.

yeh sorry I know the abs injury was 09 USO - just wanted to emphasise how an injury can crop up unexpectedly despite a strong run of wins

aceX
06-24-2010, 01:37 AM
yeh sorry I know the abs injury was 09 USO - just wanted to emphasise how an injury can crop up unexpectedly despite a strong run of wins

Yeah because winning tournaments isn't taxing on the body at all

Anaconda
06-24-2010, 02:34 AM
P!ss draws at US open 2005/06/07/08/09 and loses to Blake/Youzhny/Ferrer/Murray/JMDP. He's got no chance at that slam even at 100%; his draws couldn't get any easier could they?

davey25
06-24-2010, 03:17 AM
Nadal wasnt a good enough super fast court player to win the U.S Open yet in 2005 and 2006. Anyway prime Blake in the 3rd round as an easy draw for Nadal, LOL! That is crazy given that is the epitome of the style of player Nadal struggled with on hard courts around then. And Youzhny was an early career nemisis too.

In 2007 he was so injured he was kneeled over between points. He never should have even played the U.S Open. Anyway Tsonga in the 3rd round and Nalbandian or Ferrer in Ferrer's best year ever in the round of 16 is not an easy draw.

In 2008 he had an easy draw and was legitimately outplayed by Murray in the semis. Still the U.S Open that year was close after the Olympics and Nadal had played more matches than anyone that summer. I am not making an excuse for his loss, just saying in another year where he is fresher he could easily have a better shot of winning.

And last year, well he was in no form at the time to have any shot of winning the Open really. Did well to reach the semis.

Anaconda
06-24-2010, 03:27 AM
Nadal wasnt a good enough super fast court player to win the U.S Open yet in 2005 and 2006. Anyway prime Blake in the 3rd round as an easy draw for Nadal, LOL! That is crazy given that is the epitome of the style of player Nadal struggled with on hard courts around then. And Youzhny was an early career nemisis too.

In 2007 he was so injured he was kneeled over between points. He never should have even played the U.S Open. Anyway Tsonga in the 3rd round and Nalbandian or Ferrer in Ferrer's best year ever in the round of 16 is not an easy draw.

In 2008 he had an easy draw and was legitimately outplayed by Murray in the semis. Still the U.S Open that year was close after the Olympics and Nadal had played more matches than anyone that summer. I am not making an excuse for his loss, just saying in another year where he is fresher he could easily have a better shot of winning.

And last year, well he was in no form at the time to have any shot of winning the Open really. Did well to reach the semis.

Lolz and more lolz. I doubt you even watch these matches. Injured in 2007? lol wut are you smoking? Please in 2007 Nadal just met a guy who was as fit physically and mentally as Nadal in Ferrer who went on to the semi's. You can dance around Nadal's so called tough draws at the US open but Blake isn't exactly a great player was he. Youzhny in the QF in 2006 = LOL. KLet me guess was Nadal injured then too. :roll:

aceX
06-24-2010, 03:40 AM
P!ss draws at US open 2005/06/07/08/09 and loses to Blake/Youzhny/Ferrer/Murray/JMDP. He's got no chance at that slam even at 100%; his draws couldn't get any easier could they?

Yeah losing to JMDP... the guy who won it by beating Federer in the final... obviously Nadal is worthless...

You're a genius.

namelessone
06-24-2010, 03:44 AM

First of all Nadal was a noob on HC until 2007 or so, as he had many early exits, nowadays he makes SF usually in most HC tourneys he enters, even though it is his worst surface.

Blake had problems first half of 2005 but was in fine form in the later half of the year, beating Nadal and barely being beaten in five in USO QF by some guy called Agassi, that pushed even Fed quite a bit in the final. He also won Stockholm Open and finished as nr.22 that year.

Youzhny had a fine run at USO 2006 and made it all the way to semifinals, being beaten by some guy called roddick.

On Ferrer I agree on, he could have done more.

In 08' Rafa had won 8 tourneys(MC,Barca,Hamburg,RG,Queens,WB,Toronto,Oly mpics) by the time USO had come around and also went deep in Cincy(SF). His hunger was relented a bit and he clearly had some fatigue in him by the time USO started. Plus he met a bad matchup, Murray, who actually played great tennis that tourney. Even when Rafa was given a rest, when play was suspended, he did not look the part the second day.

In 09' he had some health issues and met the man of the tournament, JDMP.

It is true that Rafa has not made any major splashes at the USO but since 05' he lost to:

- blake, who almost made SF(was within a couple of points), being beaten by AGASSI.
-youzhny,who made SF.
-ferrer, also made SF.
-murray, made F.
-JDMP, eventual winner.

davey25
06-24-2010, 03:54 AM
Lolz and more lolz. I doubt you even watch these matches. Injured in 2007? lol wut are you smoking? Please in 2007 Nadal just met a guy who was as fit physically and mentally as Nadal in Ferrer who went on to the semi's. You can dance around Nadal's so called tough draws at the US open but Blake isn't exactly a great player was he. Youzhny in the QF in 2006 = LOL. KLet me guess was Nadal injured then too. :roll:

Either you have a bad memory or you are just stupid. Nadal was more injured than virtually any other time of his career he was playing tennis the summer of 2007. It was stupid of him to even play each tournament and he is lucky he did not do any long term damage.

Blake in the THIRD round is a tough draw, remember this is not the semis we are talking about, it is only the 3rd round. Plus prime Blake was a horrible matchup for younger Nadal on hard courts. And Youzhny was also one of the worst matchups in general for a younger Nadal on non clay surfaces, and at that U.S Open he had killed everyone until he played Nadal, and he pushed a red hot Roddick hard in the semis after beating Nadal. I never said his draws were ultra tough but you said they were a joke, and saying playing one of his toughest matchups and a guy who would be a top 10 player for the next couple years in the 3rd round is a **** easy draw is a joke. And the main thing is like I said Nadal was not really a good enough player on a fast court to even really have a shot of winning the U.S Open in either 2005 or 2006 anyway.

So the only years he has really been a big contender to maybe win the title he went out injured to Ferrer during the year of tennis of his life in the round of 16 and lost to a red hot Murray in a tough 4 set semi. And last year he was never in the form at the time to have any shot of winning and the guy who beat him went on to beat a confident Federer in the final.

Anyway I am not even a huge Nadal fan but reading posts like yours makes me really hope he wins the U.S. It would be fun to see the crow you will have to eat if he does.

aceX
06-24-2010, 04:03 AM
Yeah I don't know where the all Nad-hate comes from.

Hitman
06-24-2010, 04:05 AM
First of all Nadal was a noob on HC until 2007 or so, as he had many early exits, nowadays he makes SF usually in most HC tourneys he enters, even though it is his worst surface.

Blake had problems first half of 2005 but was in fine form in the later half of the year, beating Nadal and barely being beaten in five in USO QF by some guy called Agassi, that pushed even Fed quite a bit in the final. He also won Stockholm Open and finished as nr.22 that year.

Youzhny had a fine run at USO 2006 and made it all the way to semifinals, being beaten by some guy called roddick.

In 08' Rafa had won 8 tourneys(MC,Barca,Hamburg,RG,Queens,WB,Toronto,Oly mpics) by the time USO had come around and also went deep in Cincy(SF). His hunger was relented a bit and he clearly had some fatigue in him by the time USO started. Plus he met a bad matchup, Murray, who actually played great tennis that tourney. Even when Rafa was given a rest, when play was suspended, he did not look the part the second day.

It is true that Rafa has not made any major splashes at the USO but since 05' he lost to:

- blake, who almost made SF(was within a couple of points), being beaten by AGASSI.
-youzhny,who made SF.
-ferrer, also made SF.
-murray, made F.
-JDMP, eventual winner.

And you can see the pattern there. He always bumps into someone who is red hot. And because Nadal is beatable on the fast courts, it gives players more belief against him. For him to win, he need to avoid that hot player. The problem is, no one is really sure who that will be.

Can he win, sure, but he will need things to fall into place for that to happen.

aceX
06-24-2010, 04:10 AM
And you can see the pattern there. He always bumps into someone who is red hot. And because Nadal is beatable on the fast courts, it gives players more belief against him. For him to win, he need to avoid that hot player. The problem is, no one is really sure who that will be.

Can he win, sure, but he will need things to fall into place for that to happen.

Yeah he's gonna keep putting himself in the draw, keep playing his tennis and probably one year everything will click and he'll win it.

Otherwise he'll keep running into red hot players as you said.

namelessone
06-24-2010, 04:17 AM

Correct, Rafa will need some luck with his draw to win USO and he only has 3-4 more chances to do it. Right now there are about 6-7 guys that can beat him(some with relative ease) on HC, even in a three out of five format.

The same righty to lefty move that made his game so successful(being lefty,using dominant hand for BH thus being very solid on both sides usually) for clay and then grass, has left him without a good serve. He probably has the worst serve in the top 10, if not top 20. No matter how you cut it, you can't serve hard and consistent with your non-dominant hand. Rafa could use a continental grip with his left hand and he'll still miss most serves.

Without a good serve you cannot win USO.

aceX
06-24-2010, 04:25 AM
Correct, Rafa will need some luck with his draw to win USO and he only has 3-4 more chances to do it. Right now there are about 6-7 guys that can beat him(some with relative ease) on HC, even in a three out of five format.

The same righty to lefty move that made his game so successful(being lefty,using dominant hand for BH thus being very solid on both sides usually) for clay and then grass, has left him without a good serve. He probably has the worst serve in the top 10, if not top 20. No matter how you cut it, you can't serve hard and consistent with your non-dominant hand. Rafa could use a continental grip with his left hand and he'll still miss most serves.

Without a good serve you cannot win USO.

Yes his serve is weak. I think though that he's a hard worker and he'll keep working on his serve and eventually it'll be top-10 worthy in a couple of years.

Sentinel
06-24-2010, 04:45 AM
USO = this year most likely.

If he wins both WO and USO, it'll be such a shame he didn't win AO !

aceX
06-24-2010, 04:50 AM
USO = this year most likely.

If he wins both WO and USO, it'll be such a shame he didn't win AO !

"Congrats Nadal you just won the USO, how do you feel?"

"Ugh I should have won Aussie Open :("

Hitman
06-24-2010, 04:51 AM
"Congrats Nadal you just won the USO, how do you feel?"

"Ugh I should have won Aussie Open :("

Well he can have the Rafa slam then. ;)

Anaconda
06-24-2010, 04:54 AM
Yes his serve is weak. I think though that he's a hard worker and he'll keep working on his serve and eventually it'll be top-10 worthy in a couple of years.

No chance.

Anaconda
06-24-2010, 04:58 AM
Yeah losing to JMDP... the guy who won it by beating Federer in the final... obviously Nadal is worthless...

You're a genius.

Federer who was serving under 50% and was shanking forehands left, right and centre. Obviously you didn't watch the match. Anyway i said that JMDP wasn't a bad loss, i stated that he was the only decent player that year who Nadal played and got munched. Nevermind.

muzza123
06-24-2010, 04:59 AM
The stars need to be in perfect alignment, and even then I'm not so sure. 2008 was Rafa in the form of his life, with the easiest draw to date, but maybe the Olympics took too much out of him. That is probably the one question mark I have arising out of that 08 USO performance.

aceX
06-24-2010, 05:10 AM
Federer who was serving under 50% and was shanking forehands left, right and centre. Obviously you didn't watch the match. Anyway i said that JMDP wasn't a bad loss, i stated that he was the only decent player that year who Nadal played and got munched. Nevermind.

Wrong. He was serving at 51%.
What else you got?

Anaconda
06-24-2010, 05:14 AM

-youzhny,who made SF.
-ferrer, also made SF.
-murray, made F.
-JDMP, eventual winner.

- Funny, Nadal won a few hardcourt slams in 2005. Some noob. James Blake, who is considered a hard court specialist hasn't even won a masters even in his prime in 2006.

-Sorry, but James Blake isn't really a special player. He was only a tough matchup for Nadal for a while because Nadal wouldn't play aggressively enough.

- Youzhny. HA, that's funny. Because in the US open 2006 he was playing his best tennis of his life but lost to Roddick who couldn't hit a FH winner or 3 BH's crosscourt to save his life + the fact Roddick's netplay and appraoches; basically his all around game just sucked in 2006 and still beat Youzhny in 4. Yep, some hard court legend. :roll:

Murray isn't exactly a great player is he. Doesn't have any big shots and relies on his all court game and his opponents errors. Bad loss and i would love Murray as a semi finals opponent. Had no experience in a slam semi and Nadal is a much better HC player than Murray. 08 was just a p!ss draw for Nadal - just like all the rest

Nadal wasn't really injured IMO. He beat Gonzo (he lost to Gonzo fully fit in AO 07) with a bagel. He was fit enough to play through the tournamant and would have still lost to JMDP even if he was fully fit. Like i said, he played only one player who was actually confident and lost.

aceX
06-24-2010, 05:22 AM
- Funny, Nadal won a few hardcourt slams in 2005. Some noob. James Blake, who is considered a hard court specialist hasn't even won a masters even in his prime in 2006.

Nadal has one HC slam: AO 2009

Murray isn't exactly a great player is he. Doesn't have any big shots and relies on his all court game and his opponents errors. Bad loss and i would love Murray as a semi finals opponent. Had no experience in a slam semi and Nadal is a much better HC player than Murray. 08 was just a p!ss draw for Nadal - just like all the rest

4 HC Masters titles, 2 HC Slam finals... yup he's a loser.

Anaconda
06-24-2010, 05:22 AM
Either you have a bad memory or you are just stupid. Nadal was more injured than virtually any other time of his career he was playing tennis the summer of 2007. It was stupid of him to even play each tournament and he is lucky he did not do any long term damage.

Blake in the THIRD round is a tough draw, remember this is not the semis we are talking about, it is only the 3rd round. Plus prime Blake was a horrible matchup for younger Nadal on hard courts. And Youzhny was also one of the worst matchups in general for a younger Nadal on non clay surfaces, and at that U.S Open he had killed everyone until he played Nadal, and he pushed a red hot Roddick hard in the semis after beating Nadal. I never said his draws were ultra tough but you said they were a joke, and saying playing one of his toughest matchups and a guy who would be a top 10 player for the next couple years in the 3rd round is a **** easy draw is a joke. And the main thing is like I said Nadal was not really a good enough player on a fast court to even really have a shot of winning the U.S Open in either 2005 or 2006 anyway.

So the only years he has really been a big contender to maybe win the title he went out injured to Ferrer during the year of tennis of his life in the round of 16 and lost to a red hot Murray in a tough 4 set semi. And last year he was never in the form at the time to have any shot of winning and the guy who beat him went on to beat a confident Federer in the final.

Anyway I am not even a huge Nadal fan but reading posts like yours makes me really hope he wins the U.S. It would be fun to see the crow you will have to eat if he does.

Summer of 2007. Hmm, isn't Wimbledon held in the summer? I think so. Nadal very nearly won Wimbledon injured then. :roll:

I admit that Blake is a tough matchup in the 3rd round but he's not a great player; There were tougher 3rd round draws. James Blake was playing good stuff but is one dimensional, really.

Ask me this. Who is the best player Nadal has beaten at the US Open. Hell has he actually faced a great HC player since he won his first slam. The best HC players are Federer, Hewitt, Roddick, Safin, Djokovic and he's evaded all of them and has managed to make the semi's a few times. Weak draws, i think so.

dmt
06-24-2010, 05:23 AM

-Sorry, but James Blake isn't really a special player. He was only a tough matchup for Nadal for a while because Nadal wouldn't play aggressively enough.

- Youzhny. HA, that's funny. Because in the US open 2006 he was playing his best tennis of his life but lost to Roddick who couldn't hit a FH winner or 3 BH's crosscourt to save his life + the fact Roddick's netplay and appraoches; basically his all around game just sucked in 2006 and still beat Youzhny in 4. Yep, some hard court legend. :roll:

Nadal wasn't really injured IMO. He beat Gonzo (he lost to Gonzo fully fit in AO 07) with a bagel. He was fit enough to play through the tournamant and would have still lost to JMDP even if he was fully fit. Like i said, he played only one player who was actually confident and lost.

yes but it was only Nadals third tournament back and he ran into del potro who was playing the tennis of his life.

Anaconda
06-24-2010, 05:25 AM
Nadal has one HC slam: AO 2009

4 HC Masters titles, 2 HC Slam finals... yup he's a loser.

I'm not takling about AO 2009 you fool. I was saying how Nadal wasn't the puppy on hard people make him out to be in 2005.

0 slams is all i hear for Murray. If he's already a great hard court player just by 0 slams and 5 4 MS titles then guys like Hewitt, Safin, Roddick, Djokovic, JMDP are gods of hard courts. In fact, Safin is the only great hard court player outside of Federer in this era. Although for some reason Murray gets more respect than Safin.

aceX
06-24-2010, 05:27 AM
Summer of 2007. Hmm, isn't Wimbledon held in the summer? I think so. Nadal very nearly won Wimbledon injured then. :roll:

Nope. "During the second half of the year, Nadal battled a knee injury suffered during the Wimbledon final"

Anaconda
06-24-2010, 05:29 AM
Nope. "During the second half of the year, Nadal battled a knee injury suffered during the Wimbledon final"

What was the precise injury; what happened to his knee?

aceX
06-24-2010, 05:30 AM
I'm not takling about AO 2009 you fool.

- Funny, Nadal won a few hardcourt slams in 2005. Some noob.

You were talking about hard court slams, you genius.
Nadal won no HC slams in 2005, or 2006, or 2007, or 2008.
He's won one HC slam.
AO 2009.

Genius.

Anaconda
06-24-2010, 05:32 AM
yes but it was only Nadals third tournament back and he ran into del potro who was playing the tennis of his life.

So that means nothing. Many guys who have been playing tennis of their lives have been beaten.

Federer played awful in AO this year against Davydenko who was playing his best ever and still bageled him. Believe me, there were even threads on how bad Federer played during that match.

I'll use another example, Roddick out of prime managed to beat Murray playing his best grass court tennis at Wimbledon in 4.

Nadal can't obviously beat a hot player can he. therefore he won't win the US open because he's bound to play one eventually, unless his draws get even easier.

Limpinhitter
06-24-2010, 05:32 AM
What do you think?

Nadal already has:
- Australian Open
- French Open
- Wimbledon
- Olympic Gold

Nadal's game puts more wear and tear on his knees and body than anyone else's game does. Of course Nadal has the goods to win any tournament early in the year. So, it's a question of durability.

Anaconda
06-24-2010, 05:34 AM
You were talking about hard court slams, you genius.
Nadal won no HC slams in 2005, or 2006, or 2007, or 2008.
He's won one HC slam.
AO 2009.

Genius.

No i wasn't. I wasn't even discussing this topic with you, dip*****. Seriously, where do TW keep getting these trolls from. I was merely stating that Nadal was ok on hard courts in 2005, and he won a few hard court masters.

Do me a favour, move to MTF please.

aceX
06-24-2010, 05:35 AM
What was the precise injury; what happened to his knee?

It was the 7th game in the third set... it was 30-all... he was out of position, ran to catch a cross-court... landed awkwardly... and his knee exploded.

lol honestly wtf? You think I know everything that ever happened to this guy? If you want to know what happened so bad look it up yourself. Genius.

Limpinhitter
06-24-2010, 05:42 AM
It was the 7th game in the third set... it was 30-all... he was out of position, ran to catch a cross-court... landed awkwardly... and his knee exploded.

lol honestly wtf? You think I know everything that ever happened to this guy? If you want to know what happened so bad look it up yourself. Genius.

Nadal has chronic patellar tendinitis. He also had an unrelated knee injury earlier this year in a match against Murray. ESPN only referred to it as a small tear. Maybe an ACL tear.

aceX
06-24-2010, 05:43 AM
- Funny, Nadal won a few hardcourt slams in 2005.

You were talking about hard court slams

No i wasn't.

If you look at the quote you can see that you were indeed talking about hard court slams.

I wasn't even discussing this topic with you, dip*****.

LOL "dip*****"? Are you 13 years old?

Seriously, where do TW keep getting these trolls from. I was merely stating that Nadal was ok on hard courts in 2005, and he won a few hard court masters.

Do me a favour, move to MTF please.

Oh so you don't appreciate people disagreeing with your posts, huh?

aceX
06-24-2010, 05:46 AM
Nadal has chronic patelar tendinitis. He also had an unrelated knee injury earlier this year in a match against Murray. ESPN only referred to it as a small tear. Maybe an ACL tear.

There you go, Anaconda. Also, Nadal generally plays down his injuries.

namelessone
06-24-2010, 05:53 AM

Say what now? Nadal won his first and only HC slam in 09'.

True, because he is aggressive but once again you are forgetting the fact that the guy lost to AGASSI and was within a couple of points of a US 2005 SF. And this match-up was versus a much more defensive Nadal.

Youzhny. HA, that's funny. Because in the US open 2006 he was playing his best tennis of his life but lost to Roddick who couldn't hit a FH winner or 3 BH's crosscourt to save his life + the fact Roddick's netplay and appraoches; basically his all around game just sucked in 2006 and still beat Youzhny in 4. Yep, some hard court legend. :roll:

No one said he was a HC legend but he was on a roll in USO 2006. He reached SF. One does not measure how good someone's HC game is by measuring it up against roddick alone. Youzhny pushed Roddick to five even in AO 03' when roddick had flatter shots so he was no pushover.

First of all, Nadal came into USO winning like 8 tourneys that year and basically being sure of the nr.1 rank at the end of the year. No matter who you are or how hungry you are, you have to be fighting the complacency bug. Rafa played so-so tennis up until the SF and Murray is actually a bad match-up for him, all of Rafa's strengths play into Murray's hands, he has a better serve than Rafa, moves great around the court(can get to Rafa's shots) and has one of the best BH on tour. See AO 2010 again for confirmation. You are underestimating Murray, the guy has two slam finals to his name and that means something in this era.

Are you seriously comparing Nadal 07' to Nadal 09'? Nadal got better while Gonzalez got worse or stayed about the same. AO 2007 was the best tourney in Gonzo's career and Rafa hadn't even made a HC Slam SF at that moment.

Rafa did have problems, what does "not really injured" mean to you? I don't have time to search pics right now but CMM probably has that pic the big bandage around Rafa's stomach. Nadal said that he could not serve down the T because of that tear and had to always go wide.

JDMP was the man of the tournament in USO but I doubt that a Nadal without a tear in the abdomen would have lost triple 6-2, even if he had lost in the end, which would not be a surprise result considering the surface and how well JDMP was playing.

Look, since like 2006 at least Rafa has gone out in slams to guys that make in pretty far or win,the red hot guys if you will(and it is no wonder tha most of these defeats have come on HC):

-WB 06'- lost to eventual winner, Fed
-USO 06'-lost to eventual SF,Youzhny(youzhny's best results in slams)
-AO 07'-lost to eventual finalist,Gonzalez(Gonzalez's best result in slams)
-WB 07'-lost to eventual winner,Fed
-USO 07'-lost to eventual SF,Ferrer(again ferrer's best results in slams)
-AO 08'-lost to eventual finalist Tsonga(tsonga's best results in slams so far)
-USO 08'-lost to eventual finalist Murray
-RG 09'-lost to eventual finalist,Soderling(who made two RG finals)
-USO 09'-lost to eventual winner,JDMP
-AO 2010'-lost to eventual finalist,Murray

And mind you I am completely ignoring the physical problems Rafa had in some of these defeats.

In this period of time five of the guys that defeated Nadal in slams went on to make finals(four of them losing to fed in the final,one to djoker), two won the event(fed twice + JDMP) and the other two made SF(youzhny,ferrer).

You make the mistake of thinking that the Nadal of 05-07' was the same on HC(and other surfaces) as the Nadal of today. Nadal is a much more complete player now. In many of these losses he was a young guy on his worst surface, coming into red hot players who excelled on that particular surface. And he is still trying to make modifications today, he seems to have been around like forever but he is only 24 years old and tries to better his game on all surfaces. Since those defeats, Rafa has usually beaten blake,youzhny and other former tormentors. Rafa's problems on HC nowadays are guys like djoker,jdmp,murray,davydenko,soderling who are way more consistent than those guys Rafa lost to back in 05'-07' and are bad match-ups for him on fast courts, even with his improved game, which is only normal cause they have a better fastcourt arsenal.

Anaconda
06-24-2010, 06:30 AM
Masters series i meant. My bad. he won a few masters events in 2005.

oscar_2424
06-24-2010, 06:33 AM
yes!!, he will win the US open this year.

Anaconda
06-24-2010, 06:36 AM
Say what now? Nadal won his first and only HC slam in 09'.

True, because he is aggressive but once again you are forgetting the fact that the guy lost to AGASSI and was within a couple of points of a US 2005 SF. And this match-up was versus a much more defensive Nadal.

No one said he was a HC legend but he was on a roll in USO 2006. He reached SF. One does not measure how good someone's HC game is by measuring it up against roddick alone. Youzhny pushed Roddick to five even in AO 03' when roddick had flatter shots so he was no pushover.

First of all, Nadal came into USO winning like 8 tourneys that year and basically being sure of the nr.1 rank at the end of the year. No matter who you are or how hungry you are, you have to be fighting the complacency bug. Rafa played so-so tennis up until the SF and Murray is actually a bad match-up for him, all of Rafa's strengths play into Murray's hands, he has a better serve than Rafa, moves great around the court(can get to Rafa's shots) and has one of the best BH on tour. See AO 2010 again for confirmation. You are underestimating Murray, the guy has two slam finals to his name and that means something in this era.

Are you seriously comparing Nadal 07' to Nadal 09'? Nadal got better while Gonzalez got worse or stayed about the same. AO 2007 was the best tourney in Gonzo's career and Rafa hadn't even made a HC Slam SF at that moment.

Rafa did have problems, what does "not really injured" mean to you? I don't have time to search pics right now but CMM probably has that pic the big bandage around Rafa's stomach. Nadal said that he could not serve down the T because of that tear and had to always go wide.

JDMP was the man of the tournament in USO but I doubt that a Nadal without a tear in the abdomen would have lost triple 6-2, even if he had lost in the end, which would not be a surprise result considering the surface and how well JDMP was playing.

Look, since like 2006 at least Rafa has gone out in slams to guys that make in pretty far or win,the red hot guys if you will(and it is no wonder tha most of these defeats have come on HC):

-WB 06'- lost to eventual winner, Fed
-USO 06'-lost to eventual SF,Youzhny(youzhny's best results in slams)
-AO 07'-lost to eventual finalist,Gonzalez(Gonzalez's best result in slams)
-WB 07'-lost to eventual winner,Fed
-USO 07'-lost to eventual SF,Ferrer(again ferrer's best results in slams)
-AO 08'-lost to eventual finalist Tsonga(tsonga's best results in slams so far)
-USO 08'-lost to eventual finalist Murray
-RG 09'-lost to eventual finalist,Soderling(who made two RG finals)
-USO 09'-lost to eventual winner,JDMP
-AO 2010'-lost to eventual finalist,Murray

And mind you I am completely ignoring the physical problems Rafa had in some of these defeats.

In this period of time five of the guys that defeated Nadal in slams went on to make finals(four of them losing to fed in the final,one to djoker), two won the event(fed twice + JDMP) and the other two made SF(youzhny,ferrer).

You make the mistake of thinking that the Nadal of 05-07' was the same on HC(and other surfaces) as the Nadal of today. Nadal is a much more complete player now. In many of these losses he was a young guy on his worst surface, coming into red hot players who excelled on that particular surface. And he is still trying to make modifications today, he seems to have been around like forever but he is only 24 years old and tries to better his game on all surfaces. Since those defeats, Rafa has usually beaten blake,youzhny and other former tormentors. Rafa's problems on HC nowadays are guys like djoker,jdmp,murray,davydenko,soderling who are way more consistent than those guys Rafa lost to back in 05'-07' and are bad match-ups for him on fast courts, even with his improved game, which is only normal cause they have a better fastcourt arsenal.

- I already stated i meant masters series and not slams.

- Nadal is just typically stupid with his scheduling. If he wants to win the US open then he shouldn't play doubles/singles/mixed doubles in 250 events etc.

- I was stating that Youzhny isn't a very good player. Other than his semi loss he hasn't done anything else. Roddick in 2006 wasn't exactly playing great tennis, even at the US open or Cincinatti.

- I'm not underestimating Murray at all. I'm just saying that he is actually one of the lucky few that played Federer in a slam when he wasn't in his peak playing his best tennis of his life and still gets banged like a biatch in both matches he was 'favourite' and hyped up to win. Murray is good but not great.

Like i said. Who is the best player Nadal has beaten at US open?

aceX
07-18-2010, 01:35 AM
The US Open is just around the corner... how far will Nadal go this year?

pmerk34
07-18-2010, 07:32 AM
- I already stated i meant masters series and not slams.

- Nadal is just typically stupid with his scheduling. If he wants to win the US open then he shouldn't play doubles/singles/mixed doubles in 250 events etc.

- I was stating that Youzhny isn't a very good player. Other than his semi loss he hasn't done anything else. Roddick in 2006 wasn't exactly playing great tennis, even at the US open or Cincinatti.

- I'm not underestimating Murray at all. I'm just saying that he is actually one of the lucky few that played Federer in a slam when he wasn't in his peak playing his best tennis of his life and still gets banged like a biatch in both matches he was 'favourite' and hyped up to win. Murray is good but not great.

Like i said. Who is the best player Nadal has beaten at US open?

What is so stupid about Nadals scheduling? That he loads up on clay events so he can gain ranking points? Is his summer schedule really anymore different than Lendls was or Mac or Sampras or Feds were?

Semi-Pro
07-18-2010, 07:40 AM
What is so stupid about Nadals scheduling? That he loads up on clay events so he can gain ranking points? Is his summer schedule really anymore different than Lendls was or Mac or Sampras or Feds were?

What does this have to do with anything? I don't understand your point...

pmerk34
07-18-2010, 07:58 AM
What does this have to do with anything? I don't understand your point...

The point is that the reasons given for Nadal's failure to win the US Open is either injuries or being exhausted due to "stupid" scheduling. So is his schedule that much more brutal than those greats I listed who won the US Open numerous times?

Semi-Pro
07-18-2010, 08:09 AM
The point is that the reasons given for Nadal's failure to win the US Open is either injuries or being exhausted due to "stupid" scheduling. So is his schedule that much more brutal than those greats I listed who won the US Open numerous times?

It doesn't matter though that's the thing. You can't compare Nadal who grinds for his wins 90% of the time to a S&Ver like Sampras or Mac. All the guys you've mentioned have one thing in common, they all serve/d incredible..which gave them cheap points, something what Nadal doesn't get too often so therefore he has to grind more than the other guys.

pmerk34
07-18-2010, 08:14 AM
It doesn't matter though that's the thing. You can't compare Nadal who grinds for his wins 90% of the time to a S&Ver like Sampras or Mac. All the guys you've mentioned have one thing in common, they all serve/d incredible..which gave them cheap points, something what Nadal doesn't get too often so therefore he has to grind more than the other guys.

Lendl and Federer don't serve and volley

vortex1
07-18-2010, 08:15 AM

You used Sampras and Lendl as examples. The former was a clown on clay, so he didn't even bother trying, meaning he was fresh after Wimbledon for HC season. Lendl failed to win Wimbledon and didn't have such intensive clay season, so he was also fresher.

Nadal won 3 consecutive MS1000 masters on clay, RG/Wimbledon - so obviously he's more tired.

pmerk34
07-18-2010, 08:17 AM
You used Sampras and Lendl as examples. The former was a clown on clay, so he didn't even bother trying, meaning he was fresh after Wimbledon for HC season. Lendl failed to win Wimbledon and didn't have such intensive clay season, so he was also fresher.

Nadal won 3 consecutive MS1000 masters on clay, RG/Wimbledon - so obviously he's more tired.

More excuses. What will be your excuse for Nadal this year if he does not win the USO? Courts were sped up?

Semi-Pro
07-18-2010, 08:25 AM
Lendl and Federer don't serve and volley

Yes but they had an effective playing style that suited the courts at the US Open + a serve that is 1000 times better than Nadals, which I think is the backbone of fast court tennis.

TheLoneWolf
07-18-2010, 08:33 AM
Yes but they had an effective playing style that suited the courts at the US Open + a serve that is 1000 times better than Nadals, which I think is the backbone of fast court tennis.
Come on, of course their serve was better than Nadal's. But that is a slight exaggeration. Nadal's serve is not half bad actually, if a little lacking in power. The effect he imparts on the ball can be very deceiving, and the placement is very good.

I think his serve is going to be very effective at USO this year though. Didn't you see all those threads that started by "Uncle Toni wants Rafa to serve more like..." a couple of months ago?

About your signature, you can interpret the MTO anyway you want. The on court coaching by uncle Toni penalty was a disgrace, because it didn't exist. The only thing Soderling's team was missing was a whiteboard to draw some tactic diagrams on it. LOL. That was unbelievable.

Semi-Pro
07-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Come on, of course their serve was better than Nadal's. But that is a slight exaggeration. Nadal's serve is not half bad actually, if a little lacking in power. The effect he imparts on the ball can be very deceiving, and the placement is very good.

I think his serve is going to be very effective at USO this year though. Didn't you see all those threads that started by "Uncle Toni wants Rafa to serve more like..." a couple of months ago?

About your signature, you can interpret the MTO anyway you want. The on court coaching by uncle Toni penalty was a disgrace, because it didn't exist. The only thing Soderling's team was missing was a whiteboard to draw some tactic diagrams on it. LOL. That was unbelievable.

Ya, of course I was exaggerating but that was only to prove the point!

I also agree that his serve has deff improved throughout the year, however I still don't think it will be effective enough on the hardcourts, clay and grass no question the spin he puts on the serve really helps him. Altering your serve takes months to adjust as we've seen with the Djokovic...but who knows maybe Nadal is a faster learner than him! :)

As for my signature, as you said you can interpret both incidents' in which ever way you like. I saw what I saw and you saw what you saw, don't worry I'm not gonna try to convince you in anyway as it is needless :-D

C++ Primer
07-18-2010, 09:56 PM
depend on the court

aceX
07-20-2010, 02:33 AM
depend on the court

I don't think the court is likely to change

feetofclay
07-20-2010, 02:42 AM
Nadal won the Beijing olympics, which was played on the same surface as the USO and the same type of balls were used.

aceX
07-20-2010, 07:53 PM
Yes indeed. How far do you think he'll get this year? To the final?

ChuDat
07-21-2010, 09:33 AM
Man I don't know if this is weird or not, but last night I had a dream that Nadal beat Federer in the final. If it comes true then I think I might have a hidden gift or something

Bud
07-21-2010, 09:57 AM
Man I don't know if this is weird or not, but last night I had a dream that Nadal beat Federer in the final. If it comes true then I think I might have a hidden gift or something

If they both make it to the final (assuming opposite sides of the draw), you can bet that's the result :)

Solomnstr
07-21-2010, 09:57 AM
As long as his knees hold up, he'll have so many shots, so I don't think we can write him off.
This year looks to be his best shot, but we'll see in the future

ChuDat
07-21-2010, 10:17 AM
If they both make it to the final (assuming opposite sides of the draw), you can bet that's the result :)

They were last year even though Nadal was 3 and Fed was 1, plus in 08 Nadal was 1 and Federer was 2, they were still in the opposite draws. I don't know how the draw system at the US works though, so they could meet in the semis. If he wins I'm going to have to start dreaming more about tennis and then start making bets, jk

aceX
07-25-2010, 05:11 PM
Removed this daddy

Valdez737
07-25-2010, 05:20 PM
Nadal can do it np prob win it a few times