PDA

View Full Version : Alexandra Dulgheru: Dark Horse at Roland Garros

Marius_Hancu
05-22-2010, 04:10 AM
She's beaten Safina, Dementieva and Na Li recently
she's performed very well in Warsaw (no spoilers)

A lot of touch, all the shots (I saw last year performing a Connors-like skyhook; great dropshots; jumping 2HBH; great volleys, I wish she came more to the net)
Knows the clay well, great shot placement, good strategy
Able to stay in long matches and win them

Disadvantage: Not that much power, not too big

We'll see: 3rd round Wozniacki :-)

THUNDERVOLLEY
05-22-2010, 05:24 AM
She's beaten Safina, Dementieva and Na Li recently
she's performed very well in Warsaw (no spoilers)

A lot of touch, all the shots (I saw last year performing a Connors-like skyhook; great dropshots; jumping 2HBH; great volleys, I wish she came more to the net)
Knows the clay well, great shot placement, good strategy
Able to stay in long matches and win them

Disadvantage: Not that much power, not too big

Interesting.

She seems to have a lot of strong positives in her toolbox, and beating the two biggest one-dmensional power bashers in the WTA (by far) in Safina and Dementieva means she may be able to handle their lesser ability-clones.

Regarding Wozniacki...we will see, but she will need dictate points/finish them off quickly against one who is content to retrieve all day.

vortex1
05-22-2010, 05:30 AM

Oh god. I avoid every Wozniacki match like fire. Just look at the scores in the end. The pushing drives me crazy.

Mortifier
05-22-2010, 07:31 AM
Her dropshots are asbolutely top-notch. Watched her yesterday against Li Na and first set today against Zheng and she played some nice claycourt tennis. Her defense is superb, although her attacking may be exploited.

I'm quite confident that she can upset Wozniacki, who is somewhat injured and overrated on clay.