PDA

View Full Version : Mens draw very weak!

richied
05-22-2010, 04:14 AM
So I'm doing my FO contest picks, i'm looking at the draw and thinking to myself where are the proven slam winners.Besides Fed, Rafa, and very 'pass it' Hewitt, an unlucky Roddick and Doko the cardboard is pretty bare!

Experience is massive at slam level and from what I see it's pretty predictable who's going to be there come finals time.

Being over 30 I remember the days say 1990-2001 where slams were fairly open with multiple contenders (except Pete at Wimby, but at least he had Agassi, Goran, Rafter, Becker to deal with)

Pete, Agassi, Brugeura, Rafter, Hewitt, Guga, Courier, Egberg, Becker, Kafelnikov, lendl all won slams in this period.

This FO field is pretty crappy!

Marius_Hancu
05-22-2010, 04:17 AM
DelPo and Davydenko are missed, indeed, so are Andeev and Nalbandian.

Can't disagree with you.

However, the great stakes for Roger and his draw make up for the excitement :-)

richied
05-22-2010, 04:42 AM
Wish Delpo was playing, even though he's still to play his best on clay, the boy has game and isn't afraid to go for his shots proven by his epic display against Fed at US

P_Agony
05-22-2010, 05:41 AM
Agree with the OP. I've been saying for weeks the current top 10 are in crap mode (besides Nadal). This is going to be the least "Open" FO in a while.

vandre
05-22-2010, 05:53 AM
^^^^this, and this below!

Being over 30 I remember the days say 1990-2001 where slams were fairly open with multiple contenders (except Pete at Wimby, but at least he had Agassi, Goran, Rafter, Becker to deal with)

Pete, Agassi, Brugeura, Rafter, Hewitt, Guga, Courier, Egberg, Becker, Kafelnikov, lendl all won slams in this period.

This FO field is pretty crappy!

did everyone else step back or were fed and nadal (oh yeah and djoker and delpo once each) step forward???

richied
05-22-2010, 08:27 AM
Fed and Nadal definitely freaks, probably make the rest look worse than they really are, but imagine a draw with Pete, Agassi, Edberg, Rafter, Goran, Becker, Courier, Lendl, Brugeura, Chang, Muster, etc...I know which draw I would prefer. Imagine these boys with the strings they use today..

BullDogTennis
05-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Fed and Nadal definitely freaks, probably make the rest look worse than they really are, but imagine a draw with Pete, Agassi, Edberg, Rafter, Goran, Becker, Courier, Lendl, Brugeura, Chang, Muster, etc...I know which draw I would prefer. Imagine these boys with the strings they use today..

with there technique's it wouldn't have mattered...

JuliusWinto
05-22-2010, 05:31 PM
I think this is a really stupid thread. There aren't many proven slam winners simply because Federer has 16 and Nadal has six. 22 majors combined and still in their 20's! Yeah, Hewitt has a couple, Roddick has one, Djokovic. If not for Federer and Nadal's dominance (mostly Federer's) there would be many more obvious contenders for us to look at. Someone might step up, but most likely we will see Fed and Nadal in the final again. This doesn't mean it's an easy draw either. Someone has to beat all of those non contenders, and then probably beat the all time Slam leader and then 4 time French champion to win the title. Tough draw.

T1000
05-22-2010, 05:32 PM
There won't even be one good five setter. Nadal will beat the crap out of Fed in the final along with the rest of the field on the way. The big hitters will lose routinely to Fed. Murray's side is a joke. Djokovic's side is the most interesting, those will be the only decent matches

JuliusWinto
05-22-2010, 05:50 PM
T1000, I think we are kindred spirits.

richied
05-22-2010, 09:49 PM
I think this is a really stupid thread. There aren't many proven slam winners simply because Federer has 16 and Nadal has six. 22 majors combined and still in their 20's! Yeah, Hewitt has a couple, Roddick has one, Djokovic. If not for Federer and Nadal's dominance (mostly Federer's) there would be many more obvious contenders for us to look at. Someone might step up, but most likely we will see Fed and Nadal in the final again. This doesn't mean it's an easy draw either. Someone has to beat all of those non contenders, and then probably beat the all time Slam leader and then 4 time French champion to win the title. Tough draw.

You think so, i just think it shows how F@$kin weak tennis has come.When you mono surfaces, slow down balls and provide insane string technology all you get is mono styles and boring players. If Fed had to compete with contrasting styles on what used to be different courts, no way he wins 16 slams. The draw is weak because you know what's coming. Another baseliner, mmmn how shall I play..tennis needs a kick in the arse

TennisandMusic
05-22-2010, 09:54 PM
Agreed, but some people have been saying this (or thinking, before it was known that one could literally waste "days of our lives" on forum banter) for a decade or so.

Yes part of it is because generally Federer and Nadal clean up, but partially because the tour is weak enough to where Federer and Nadal can clean up.

This FO is looking especially bad.

wilfreb
05-22-2010, 10:00 PM
the way El Mayador is playing everyones knows whos gonna win...

gold soundz
05-22-2010, 10:13 PM
The men's draw is weak for several reasons

- Del Potro, Davydenko are out. This is major. These are two players who can do major damage

- The players who seem like good clay-court players/strong players (like Verdasco and Ferrer) are good, but Nadal and Federer are just a level above everyone!

- Murray hasn't proven anything on clay yet and therefore he obviously can't be seen as any sort of threat

- Djokovic has showed no form on clay this season

aceX
05-22-2010, 10:30 PM
Fed will beat the crap out of Nadal in the final along with the rest of the field on the way.

Bold words indeed!

Bryan Swartz
05-23-2010, 08:22 AM
If Fed had to compete with contrasting styles on what used to be different courts, no way he wins 16 slams.

There's no way anyone can know this is true or not, yourself included. It's just as possible that he would already have 21 slams in a different era.

rocket
05-23-2010, 09:37 AM
If Fed had to compete with contrasting styles on what used to be different courts, no way he wins 16 slams.

Fed has all the shots in the book, he's one of the most complete & most successful players in tennis history, that's why many hail him as GOAT.

the faster surfaces would suit him fine. his racquet is nothing more than a bigger ps85, and he's still using natural gut on the mains.

Nadal might be the best claycourter the world has ever seen. he makes his peers & even the GOAT look ordinary on dirt.

so you just have to come to terms with that fact.

rocket
05-23-2010, 09:41 AM
but imagine a draw with Pete, Agassi, Edberg, Rafter, Goran, Becker, Courier, Lendl, Brugeura, Chang, Muster, etc...I know which draw I would prefer. Imagine these boys with the strings they use today..

then the s&v game would have died much earlier.

Cyan
05-23-2010, 10:30 AM
They said on ESPN that Fed's half of draw looks very easy. :oops: Like there is nobody there that can harm him and all the dangerous players are in the other half.:oops: One word: Fixed.

World Beater
05-23-2010, 10:59 AM
the draw isnt weak overall. It just depends on who's perspective you look from.

If you are nadal. the draw is probably a joke - cos well you are arguable the GOAT. the draw doesnt really matter that much in honesty.

If you are federer - the draw is hard because even though you own the field sans nadal on clay...getting through nadal in the final of RG in best of 5 is someonething nobody has accomplished.

rest of the field - dont even think about winning or even coming in second place. time to book flights for the next tournament. tournament is almost impossible to win. have to beat federer-nadal back to back possibly.

The draw strength is basically concentrated in two players. In the past, it was more distributed.

CyBorg
05-23-2010, 11:03 AM
They said on ESPN that Fed's half of draw looks very easy. :oops: Like there is nobody there that can harm him and all the dangerous players are in the other half.:oops: One word: Fixed.

You can't make up your own mind?

World Beater
05-23-2010, 11:03 AM

LOL. that is a big hypothetical. Find me one tournament where all those guys played at their best tennis in one tournament.

you are assuming they would be at their best all the time, or at least one time during the french.

That is a big assumption given that it probably never happened during their time.

The players you cite also span multiple generations - their primes just didnt overlap.

Even the players that did overlap - sometimes were injured or just plain flaked out due to mental problems.

similar to today...when we look at potro, nalbandian, denko etc.

Cyan
05-23-2010, 11:14 AM
You can't make up your own mind?

You would need to be either blind or a ******* to not see it.:oops: I know you are a *******, so. :oops:

joeri888
05-23-2010, 11:29 AM
I agree it's bad atm. Murray and Djokovic are really subpar atm, and Delpo and Davy are out. With those four in form, you'd have a VERY STRONG lineup.

Anyway, what the OP mentions is rubbish. Name me one FO in which all of these players played and all were good players who did well. That never happened. We have a ton of good players right now, they are just not all on a high right now.

joeri888
05-23-2010, 11:30 AM

I'm sure Rafa takes a half with Verdasco, Almagro and Ferrero over one with Soderling, Gulbis and Ferrer.

CyBorg
05-24-2010, 01:21 PM
You would need to be either blind or a ******* to not see it.:oops: I know you are a *******, so. :oops:

I am a *******? Goodness gracious.

Well, as long as you saw the draw.