PDA

View Full Version : Will Nadal play with 1 handed backhand at RG?

hermano05
05-22-2010, 10:21 AM
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2010/05/Other/TV-Schedule-Roland-Garros.aspx

Look at the photo :mrgreen:

himynameisNIKE
05-22-2010, 10:46 AM
it could be a slice.

thejoe
05-22-2010, 11:06 AM
it could be a slice.

With that follow through?

Dutch-Guy
05-22-2010, 11:18 AM
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2010/05/Other/TV-Schedule-Roland-Garros.aspx

He looks stiff as hell.

ChopShot
05-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Methinks he's tired of hearing about him just hitting it to Roger's 1h all the time, so he's decided to level the playing field :D

Toxicmilk
05-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Don't you know? he only uses his right hand to hold the power on his BH back =D so it looks like a 2hbh :twisted::twisted:

darthpwner
05-22-2010, 05:22 PM
I think that Federer will unveil the two handed backhand he has worked on for years against Nadal in the final.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqNR0KWzLMw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBvu7uA5_ig

T1000
05-22-2010, 05:22 PM
it could be a slice.

do you play tennis?

hermano05
05-22-2010, 06:20 PM
it could be a slice.

That's definitely not a slice.

BTW, Federer has a very nice two handed backhand. Did he start playing with one or two hands?

darthpwner
05-22-2010, 06:22 PM
That's definitely not a slice.

BTW, Federer has a very nice two handed backhand. Did he start playing with one or two hands?

I read that Federer always used a one handed backhand.

Jonny S&V
05-22-2010, 08:04 PM
I've seen Nadal hit one-handers in practice before, and like any pro tennis player, they are still very serviceable.

darthpwner
05-22-2010, 08:06 PM
I've seen Nadal hit one-handers in practice before, and like any pro tennis player, they are still very serviceable.

Rafa could probably hit with a solid one hander since he uses an eastern bh grip on his left arm

RalphNYC
05-22-2010, 08:15 PM

Yes and he does it sometimes during the match as well, after the point if a ball is bouncing towards him he might he a 1HBH to get the ball to the corner. It's amazing how many pros who hit a 2HBH can hit a beautiful 1HBH. My friend who played futures/challengers with a 2HBH uses mostly a 1HBH with me and it seems to have no vulnerability at all. Blows me away.

slicefox
05-22-2010, 09:20 PM

ROFL.

he'll go out 1st round to some noob who'll moonball to his backhand.

only federer has the talent necessary to control the racquet with 1 hand on the backhand against moonballers

slicefox
05-22-2010, 09:23 PM
I think that Federer will unveil the two handed backhand he has worked on for years against Nadal in the final.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqNR0KWzLMw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBvu7uA5_ig

lol nice.

nah, everyone knows 2 handed backhand is easier. Fed however won't lower himself to that type of play, he knows 2 handers are for wussies and women.

TheLoneWolf
05-22-2010, 09:26 PM
ROFL.

he'll go out 1st round to some noob who'll moonball to his backhand.

only federer has the talent necessary to control the racquet with 1 hand on the backhand against moonballers
Yeah, he has proven that over and over with Nadal. That's why Nadal exploits his 1HBH so much.

TheLoneWolf
05-22-2010, 09:28 PM
lol nice.

nah, everyone knows 2 handed backhand is easier. Fed however won't lower himself to that type of play, he knows 2 handers are for wussies and women.
Yeah, but he compensates nicely behaving like a wussie himself during trophy ceremonies.

Allowed to choose between 2HBH and crying like a baby when losing trophies I would also chose the later. LOL.

himynameisNIKE
05-22-2010, 09:31 PM
i looked at the picture again.. defiently not a slice :shock::oops:

vortex1
05-22-2010, 09:36 PM
Nadal will play with 1hbh in order to make things more challenging. And if he's still winning too easily, he'll start hitting forehands with his right hand.

TennisandMusic
05-22-2010, 09:48 PM
lol nice.

I can hit with both. I think the two hander is superior in this day and age. It uses stronger muscle groups, is more stable, and contrary to what you're saying ends up being a "manlier" shot.

If a 1 hander is for "studly men", why is the strategy to beat Federer "hit hard shots relentlessly to his backhand"? So much so, that he breaks down crying like a child at the AO 09 when he loses. In fact I am pretty sure I saw some red blurriness in his eyes at Madrid (Sorry to the reasonable people, I am not trying to incite arguments, just trying to reveal strong fallacies here). I've seen the best pros up right next to me. I can tell you the best one handers don't look nearly as impressive as the best two handers do, on the ground. The facts are the facts ma'am.

There is simply nothing "wussy" or "womanly" (note: is this a pejorative? I happen to like women.) about a two handed shot. It is what it is. Why do baseball players hit a baseball with two hands? Why don't you go tell some of those guys they are wimps. I'm sure a keyboard warrior's opinion would mean a lot to them.

If you think the one hander is more manly, why not take it a step further? Why don't we just strap racquets to our gender specific appendages and swing away, willy nilly*? Surely that would be much more difficult to do, and it would naturally be as manly as it gets! It would literally be impossible for women to play men's tennis! Or perhaps, refusing to be less encumbered by the more negative aspects of male bravado, we could realize results matter, the two hander is an incredibly powerful, stable and yes(!), versatile shot and use it with great effectiveness.

I realize, however, that that kind of level headedness does not provide for hours of posturing, arguing and vicarious living that forums such as this do.

*No pun intended.

TheLoneWolf
05-22-2010, 09:54 PM
If you think the one hander is more manly, why not take it a step further? Why don't we just strap racquets to our gender specific appendages and swing away, willy nilly*? Surely that would be much more difficult to do, and it would naturally be as manly as it gets! It would literally be impossible for women to play men's tennis! Or perhaps, refusing to be less encumbered by the more negative aspects of male bravado, we could realize results matter, the two hander is an incredibly powerful, stable and yes(!), versatile shot and use it with great effectiveness.

^^ROTFL. The Willy Nilly shot sounds like the wave of the future. I'm afraid the FCC might have some slight problems allowing the matches to be televised though.

slicefox
05-22-2010, 10:56 PM
I can hit with both. I think the two hander is superior in this day and age. It uses stronger muscle groups, is more stable, and contrary to what you're saying ends up being a "manlier" shot.

If a 1 hander is for "studly men", why is the strategy to beat Federer "hit hard shots relentlessly to his backhand"? So much so, that he breaks down crying like a child at the AO 09 when he loses. In fact I am pretty sure I saw some red blurriness in his eyes at Madrid (Sorry to the reasonable people, I am not trying to incite arguments, just trying to reveal strong fallacies here). I've seen the best pros up right next to me. I can tell you the best one handers don't look nearly as impressive as the best two handers do, on the ground. The facts are the facts ma'am.

There is simply nothing "wussy" or "womanly" (note: is this a pejorative? I happen to like women.) about a two handed shot. It is what it is. Why do baseball players hit a baseball with two hands? Why don't you go tell some of those guys they are wimps. I'm sure a keyboard warrior's opinion would mean a lot to them.

I realize, however, that that kind of level headedness does not provide for hours of posturing, arguing and vicarious living that forums such as this do.

*No pun intended.

one handed backhand requires stronger muscles on the arm.

too bad yours are weak. Pick up the dumbbells kid.

You say "two hander is better" just because you are too weak to hit the one hander. Anyone who can hit the one hander can also hit a two hander, but the reverse is not true.

That's why 99% of women play with 2 handers. Also 99.99% of kids play with 2 hands. Why? Because they are weak.

/argument you fail

ClubHoUno
05-22-2010, 11:09 PM

*No pun intended.

The 2 hander might be the more secure shot these days, but a great 1-handed backhand is considered manly for one reason and one reason only - it requires more muscle power and this is why only very few women and kids can use it and on top of that, a one handed backhand looks far better than a 2-hander ever will !

It's not about looks, but about results, but a great 1 handed backhand is just so fantastic to look at, that I prefer to watch a match between 2 lower ranked one handed backhand players compared to a match with higher ranked 2 handed backhand players......the 1HB is a work of art to look at, the 2HB will always look like sh-it....sorry but it's true :D

Clay lover
05-22-2010, 11:24 PM
Why is this transforming into a 1HBH vs 2HBH debate again? Both are good, so shut the ****up.

sh@de
05-22-2010, 11:58 PM

*No pun intended.

There see? You think. And everybody is entitled to their own opinion. So why don't leave those who think the two hander is wussy and that the one hander is better alone?

big bang
05-23-2010, 02:35 AM
Rafa is going to win FO this year playing right handed and with 1hbh, its true he told me yesterday. He will beat Fed in the final destroying Feds 2hbh:)

kournacopia
05-23-2010, 02:40 AM
I use a no handed backhand. You don't want to know how.

Sentinel
05-23-2010, 03:13 AM
i looked at the picture again.. defiently not a slice :shock::oops:
I think he's swatting a bee away.

TheLoneWolf
05-23-2010, 09:20 AM

You say "two hander is better" just because you are too weak to hit the one hander. Anyone who can hit the one hander can also hit a two hander, but the reverse is not true.

That's why 99% of women play with 2 handers. Also 99.99% of kids play with 2 hands. Why? Because they are weak.

/argument you fail
Late breaking news: Federer is stronger than Nadal.

Brought to you by slicefox.

Now a word from your sponsor:
LMFAO. MWAHAHAHAHA. LOL

flyinghippos101
05-23-2010, 09:24 AM

*No pun intended.

You feed the troll with an equally trollish post. Why? It's slicefox man, come on :neutral:

Andres
05-23-2010, 09:37 AM

/argument you fail
That's quite some anger you have in ya, bud.

paulorenzo
05-23-2010, 09:40 AM

*No pun intended.

on tangent: Borg is a GOAT candidate, true, but so is Federer, Sampras, Mcenroe, and Laver. great things can be accomplished with either the one or two handed backhand, the way i see it, the machine in its entirety is more important than a single component.

TennisandMusic
05-23-2010, 11:12 AM
You feed the troll with an equally trollish post. Why? It's slicefox man, come on :neutral:

Equally trollish? How does one figure that? Pointing out the absurdities of one's thoughts is not trolling. Trolling entails making ridiculous claims for the express purpose of inciting fights.

Though I am getting a laugh out of the emotional responses to what I wrote. "But the backhand requires you to be STRONGER to use it! That's why it's manly!" I guess they missed the reasoning behind my new tennis stroke then (the term stroke may have to be banned though, considering...). It's far harder to do and it DEFINITELY requires you to be a man...what could possibly be more manly?!

Just to be serious for the people that aren't getting it. I certainly don't begrudge one handed players. I've been a one hander for years. That doesn't mean however that I denigrate the other style, or think it's inferior. People who do that sort of thing have some ego issues that need to be worked through. I also imagine slicefox knows how wrong the vast majority of his posts are. He is obviously just trying to stir things up, and **** people off (which I thought was against the rules but whatever). If he's actually serious and truly believes what he writes, then I find that a bit scary. People that angry and delusional are walking around in society!

slicefox
05-23-2010, 11:45 AM
That doesn't mean however that I denigrate the other style, or think it's inferior.

Well, I do.

And it is your fault that you get ****ed by me pointing out the fact that 1 handed backhand requires more strength and coordination to execute.

It has to do with stability and the structure of the two hander vs one hand, however, this kind of topic is probably beyond you. If you are interested, come talk to me after you study mechanics.

The reason Rafael uses 2 handed is because he is used to it. He used 2 handers on BOTH, backhand AND forehand when he was a kid... because he was weak when he was a kid. His uncle didn't teach him proper form in order to develop a coordinated and effective backhand.

flyinghippos101
05-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Equally trollish? How does one figure that? Pointing out the absurdities of one's thoughts is not trolling. Trolling entails making ridiculous claims for the express purpose of inciting fights.

Though I am getting a laugh out of the emotional responses to what I wrote. "But the backhand requires you to be STRONGER to use it! That's why it's manly!" I guess they missed the reasoning behind my new tennis stroke then (the term stroke may have to be banned though, considering...). It's far harder to do and it DEFINITELY requires you to be a man...what could possibly be more manly?!

Just to be serious for the people that aren't getting it. I certainly don't begrudge one handed players. I've been a one hander for years. That doesn't mean however that I denigrate the other style, or think it's inferior. People who do that sort of thing have some ego issues that need to be worked through. I also imagine slicefox knows how wrong the vast majority of his posts are. He is obviously just trying to stir things up, and **** people off (which I thought was against the rules but whatever). If he's actually serious and truly believes what he writes, then I find that a bit scary. People that angry and delusional are walking around in society!

The Fed stuff kinda falls under the spectrum of trolling. But otherwise, this topic is stupid. Neither backhand is "manly" and both backhands have their respective advantages and disadvantages. I play one handed and I can out last two-handers, the backhand that is sapposedly more stable. The "aim for the backhand " strategy by Fed really only works on clay, where one handers are at risk against spin, specifically Nadal's spin whereas at the AO when Murray pounded on Fed's backhand, it held up magnificently. As for slicefox when he said that 99% of women and kids play two handed, it's because the two handed is becoming more mainstream in tennis and is easier to pick up. one handed requires a great deal of footwork coordination which is overwhelming for newcomers so they opt for the easier but still competent option of the two hander. Even the lastest generation of men's players, almost all of them use two hands.

Trolls don't believe what they write man, they're there to press peoples buttons and watch debates degenerate into frenzied slug fests. You're wasting your time trying to debate with Slicefox who should've gotten the ban hammer long ago.

World Beater
05-23-2010, 02:55 PM
the one handed bh has the edge on low bouncing surfaces. like grass.

generally..not always..but one handers also have fantastic slices...tend to volley better and have fantastic touch / feel.

two-handers have better disguise, stability and control...but they dont have more power.

Benhur
05-27-2010, 08:10 AM

I don't believe any of this. There are many cases of players changing from a two hander to a one hander after a certain age. If what you say above was true, they would not be able to change.

On the othe hand, I don't know any player who changed from one hand to two hands. Must not be easy, as you claim it is.

I have a one hander (learned tennis as a young adult). It's my most reliable side, though not the strongest, and when my forehand goes off for a while, I run around to hit backhands. I cannot for the life of me hit a decent backhand with two hands. It feels about as weird as trying to play with my left hand.

Benhur
05-27-2010, 08:17 AM
double post

Dreamer
05-27-2010, 08:35 AM
Well, I do.

And it is your fault that you get ****ed by me pointing out the fact that 1 handed backhand requires more strength and coordination to execute.

It has to do with stability and the structure of the two hander vs one hand, however, this kind of topic is probably beyond you. If you are interested, come talk to me after you study mechanics.

The reason Rafael uses 2 handed is because he is used to it. He used 2 handers on BOTH, backhand AND forehand when he was a kid... because he was weak when he was a kid. His uncle didn't teach him proper form in order to develop a coordinated and effective backhand.

You can count the number of good 1handers with palm of your hand.
2hander is just more suited for today's game because it's faster and can produce just as much pace.
Saying 2handers are for weak women and children? are you serious? Think before you speak. You have 1 gasquet, but the rest of the great backhands belong to 2handers. Roger's backhand is good, but it's simply outclassed by many 2handers. Now his slice, that's top of the line.