PDA

View Full Version : Lendel thinks Nadals form is on the downcurve

gzhpcu
05-22-2010, 11:57 AM
He thinks that Nadal play brilliantly in Monte Carlo, played strongly in Rome, and played less well in Madrid, maintaining he has peaked too soon... says he should not have played Madrid.. risking not winning Roland Garros...
http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/sport/tennis/Nadals-Formkurve-zeigt-nach-unten/story/21756684

Rhino
05-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Well we all notice that he isn't playing as well as MC, he's never won a tournament that efficiently, but even at it's current level most people would agree that his form is more than good enough to win RG.

Sartorius
05-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Well we all notice that he isn't playing as well as MC, he's never won a tournament that efficiently, but even at it's current level most people would agree that his form is more than good enough to win RG.

Indeed, and let's not forget that Madrid clay, while still clay, favors him a little less than French Open clay.

Totai
05-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Lendl is *******

Mick
05-22-2010, 12:17 PM
yeah but french open is best of 5 sets.

it's not easy to beat nadal in best of 5 sets match on clay even when he's not at peak form.

OrangeOne
05-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Not that I can read the article, but people should remember Lendl was a master of judging the preparation right, a slow, steady buildup aimed to peak for 2 weeks of a slam. Made him less vulnerable in early rounds than many others.

Still, I agree with others, even if nadal peaked too early, he still seems to have more than what it will take.

Mustard
05-22-2010, 12:41 PM
Not that I can read the article, but people should remember Lendl was a master of judging the preparation right, a slow, steady buildup aimed to peak for 2 weeks of a slam. Made him less vulnerable in early rounds than many others.

Lendl's preparation for 1990 Wimbledon, where he skipped the entire clay-court season in order to give himself 2 months to practice on grass, didn't work out because he peaked at Queens instead of Wimbledon.

borg number one
05-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Perhaps Nadal wanted to establish himself on clay once again at MC. Then, after that, he may have taken the foot off the pedal a bit to leave more in his "reserves". He does "pace" himself better than in years past. He isn't always running all out for shots that he has little hope of ever reaching. I don't know if he's necessarily on a "down curve" going into the French Open.

TheLoneWolf
05-22-2010, 01:10 PM
Perhaps Nadal wanted to establish himself on clay once again at MC. Then, after that, he may have taken the foot off the pedal a bit to leave more in his "reserves". He does "pace" himself better than in years past. He isn't always running all out for shots that he has little hope of ever reaching. I don't know if he's necessarily on a "down curve" going into the French Open.
Yes, it is very hard to say how much Nadal has been putting into it lately. I'm not as concerned about his form as I am concerned about injuries. I haven't seen Nadal exhausted very often. What was that match against Murray, USO 08? I think Nadal was really exhausted there. But that doesn't happen often.

CyBorg
05-22-2010, 01:12 PM
It's possible but it's also true that the Monte Carlo surface is the closest to RG and thus the best predictor.

Marius_Hancu
05-22-2010, 01:24 PM
And I think Fed's on a upcurve. Let's see how these curves meet in the final, if that happens :-)

OddJack
05-22-2010, 01:44 PM
I read some of his interview in English. He makes some good points. I agree with his statements regarding Nadal's performance from MC to Madrid.

gsharma
05-22-2010, 01:48 PM
And I think Fed's on a upcurve. Let's see how these curves meet in the final, if that happens :-)

Agreed but for fed to play like he did at Madrid, the ball needs to come on to the racquet.

Blinkism
05-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Who is this Lendel? You mean Ivan Lendl?

Spelling error automatically negates your argument!

[/thread]

Serendipitous
05-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Who is this Lendel? You mean Ivan Lendl?

Spelling error automatically negates your argument!

[/thread]

I agree with this male. :o

pjonesy
05-22-2010, 06:55 PM

I think you are right on the money. People talk about Lendl like he never tanked matches or "peaked" at the wrong time. He had the same ups and downs of any # 1 player who burns himself out and realizes that-this tournament is not as important as that one. Nadal is running into the same problem. He wants to prove that he is still the man on clay BEFORE the French Open. Nadal wants to be in guys heads, he wants people to see that he is fighting for every ball. But, he also has to be in peak form at the French because he will need perfect timing and energy down the stretch.

ruerooo
05-22-2010, 07:00 PM
Lendl is *******

LOL. I'm a FEDAL fan, but it really does seem like Lendl is always saying something a little snarky about Rafa and Roger both, whenever they're doing well.

I hope neither of them pays him any attention.

TheLoneWolf
05-22-2010, 07:21 PM
LOL. I'm a FEDAL fan, but it really does seem like Lendl is always saying something a little snarky about Rafa and Roger both, whenever they're doing well.

I hope neither of them pays him any attention.
That's because Lendl is a Wormtard. :)

angiebaby
05-23-2010, 12:10 AM
It's possible but it's also true that the Monte Carlo surface is the closest to RG and thus the best predictor.

Totally agree. Rome was a little faster than MC, and Madrid was faster still. RG is more like MC or should that be the other way round?

I read some of his interview in English. He makes some good points. I agree with his statements regarding Nadal's performance from MC to Madrid.

But of course you do! Would have been a shocker otherwise.

mandy01
05-23-2010, 12:27 AM
I agree with this male. :o
I agree with this female :o

MotherMarjorie
05-23-2010, 12:28 AM
Since Ivan Lendl's retirement, he's rarely made public comments about other tennis players, past or present. He's pretty much stayed away from tennis in general.

So, for Ivan to make such statements is pretty big for him. Mother Marjorie agrees with him.