PDA

View Full Version : Djokovic actually has a pretty hard draw

Skabeast121
05-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Idk if its just me but his doesnt look too easy. First off his form is really shaky as of late so these guys would make me nervous if i were him. This is just my opinion feel free to disagree :)

R1: Evgeny Korolev - A lot of fire power, pretty decent player not anyone I would wanna see 1st round

R2: Kei Nishikori - After coming off of 2 strait challenger tournament victories where he decimated everyone. Has beaten the top on a big stage before so he knows what it takes, and has to have some confidence right now. (also one of my fav players :-P)

R3: Victor Hanescu - Don't imagine any trouble here, this should be a routine match

R4: JCF or Querrey - JCF a former champ and a good clay courter. Querrey as good dirt baller in his own right and has a lot of fire power.

QF: Roddick or Ferrer - If the courts are faster as Murray suggested Roddick's serve could prove to be big, not to mention Roddick has won the last few matches. Ferrer also has been playing a much better season so that could be tough as well.

SF: Nadal - Ok no denying it here, even though Rafa isn't a player I like, he is a monster on clay. If Djokovic has any trouble before this match I'll tell you now he is gonna be in for a world of hurt.

F: Federer (maybe Gulbis :-P another favorite) - Seriously though if Djokovic makes it past Rafa it will be a long hard match, he is gonna be tired. And even though Federer isn't Nadal he is pretty good on clay and playing below 100% wouldn't cut it for anyone besides Nadal

P_Agony
05-22-2010, 12:31 PM
Plus I think Federer is a pretty bad matchup for Djokovic. Isn't their GS record 4-1 in Fed's favor?

Well, this is all irrelevant, as Djokovic isn't getting past Nadal. Not this year, no.

Serendipitous
05-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Idk if its just me but his doesnt look too easy. First off his form is really shaky as of late so these guys would make me nervous if i were him. This is just my opinion feel free to disagree :)

R1: Evgeny Korolev - A lot of fire power, pretty decent player not anyone I would wanna see 1st round

R2: Kei Nishikori - After coming off of 2 strait challenger tournament victories where he decimated everyone. Has beaten the top on a big stage before so he knows what it takes, and has to have some confidence right now. (also one of my fav players :-P)

R3: Victor Hanescu - Don't imagine any trouble here, this should be a routine match

R4: JCF or Querrey - JCF a former champ and a good clay courter. Querrey as good dirt baller in his own right and has a lot of fire power.

QF: Roddick or Ferrer - If the courts are faster as Murray suggested Roddick's serve could prove to be big, not to mention Roddick has won the last few matches. Ferrer also has been playing a much better season so that could be tough as well.

SF: Nadal - Ok no denying it here, even though Rafa isn't a player I like, he is a monster on clay. If Djokovic has any trouble before this match I'll tell you now he is gonna be in for a world of hurt.

F: Federer (maybe Gulbis :-P another favorite) - Seriously though if Djokovic makes it past Rafa it will be a long hard match, he is gonna be tired. And even though Federer isn't Nadal he is pretty good on clay and playing below 100% wouldn't cut it for anyone besides Nadal

I agree! :cry:

Skabeast121
05-22-2010, 12:38 PM
well yeah thats kinda obvious, but i was just saying for the sake best case scenario

Skabeast121
05-22-2010, 12:38 PM
whats with the sad face Dippy? Are you a Djokovic fan?

Augustus
05-22-2010, 12:42 PM

Yes, Djokovic has a pretty hard draw. Actually he might play Giraldo in the second round, who can be really dangerous if he's on. Roddick has zero chance of reaching the semis though...

valiant
05-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Off topic : h r u doing ska :D

P_Agony
05-22-2010, 12:46 PM
Yes, Djokovic has a pretty hard draw. Actually he might play Giraldo in the second round, who can be really dangerous if he's on. Roddick has zero chance of reaching the semis though...

Didn't Roddick make it pretty far last year? I thought he actually played decent clay court tennis for his standards. With the right draw, he could make the semis IMO, but it's not likely. I hope Roddick continues his great start of the year.

Skabeast121
05-22-2010, 12:47 PM

Idk personally I'm seeing/hoping Nishikori beating Giraldo. Also as for Roddick if the clay is playing quick like Madrid (possibly quicker) he can make a serious run, look at last year QFs so you never know.

@Valiant - Not bad I'm gonna try to go to the chat tonight

valiant
05-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Idk personally I'm seeing/hoping Nishikori beating Giraldo. Also as for Roddick if the clay is playing quick like Madrid (possibly quicker) he can make a serious run, look at last year QFs so you never know.

@Valiant - Not bad I'm gonna try to go to the chat tonight

LOL @ your signature ska.

I dont ve any hopes of roddick.He dint even play one tournament.

Serendipitous
05-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Off topic: :evil:

Augustus
05-22-2010, 12:57 PM
Didn't Roddick make it pretty far last year? I thought he actually played decent clay court tennis for his standards. With the right draw, he could make the semis IMO, but it's not likely. I hope Roddick continues his great start of the year.

Yes, Roddick played decent clay court tennis for his standard last year. But he had a very favourable draw: R1 Jouan (unknown French WC), R2 Minar, R3 Gicquel. Monfils, who wasn't even that fit last year, defeated him comprehensively in straight sets.

This year is a different story though. Roddick hasn't played any matches on clay and his draw is brutal:

R1 Nieminen: Tough opponent for a first round, I could see him beating Roddick since it's his first match on clay.
R2 Schwank: Talented clay courter that would be the favourite in that match in my opinion.
R3 Monaco: Not playing his best tennis, but still very hard to beat for Roddick on clay.
R4 Ferrer: Very good clay courter, might be a little tired after having played many matches this season but still the heavy favourite against Roddick.
QF: Djokovic: Roddick beating Djokovic on clay would be a miracle.

P_Agony
05-22-2010, 12:59 PM
Yes, Roddick played decent clay court tennis for his standard last year. But he had a very favourable draw: R1 Jouan (unknown French WC), R2 Minar, R3 Gicquel. Monfils, who wasn't even that fit last year, defeated him comprehensively in straight sets.

This year is a different story though. Roddick hasn't played any matches on clay and his draw is brutal:

R1 Nieminen: Tough opponent for a first round, I could see him beating Roddick since it's his first match on clay.
R2 Schwank: Talented clay courter that would be the favourite in that match in my opinion.
R3 Monaco: Not playing his best tennis, but still very hard to beat for Roddick on clay.
R4 Ferrer: Very good clay courter, might be a little tired after having played many matches this season but still the heavy favourite against Roddick.
QF: Djokovic: Roddick beating Djokovic on clay would be a miracle.

Wow, with this draw it's impossible for Roddick, I agree. Maybe if he's serving out of his mind, but I doubt it.

Skabeast121
05-22-2010, 01:02 PM
wow....didn't even look at that...especially with no matches on clay...but never say never gotta have some faith in the American hope!

callmethedoctor
05-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Hanescu is easy? Don't think so. He has 930 points on clay in the past year. That's tenth best in the ATP.
Still, I think Djokovic will make it to Ferrer. But not beat him.

Augustus
05-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Plus I think Federer is a pretty bad matchup for Djokovic. Isn't their GS record 4-1 in Fed's favor?

Well, this is all irrelevant, as Djokovic isn't getting past Nadal. Not this year, no.

Of course this is a logical statement. However, I think a Nadal vs. Djokovic match in the semis might be very interesting, if Novak makes it that far. I'll explain why.

If Djokovic reaches the semis, it means he's playing well and has gained some confidence. He has a tough draw and won't win five matches while playing like crap. On top of that, Novak tends to play close to his best against Nadal and has beaten him a couple of times in a row now (I know it was during Nadal's slump, but it's still a mental advantage).

In my opinion it's also a good thing he hasn't played Nadal on clay this year yet, so it's kind of a fresh start for him. Of course Nadal's still the heavy favourite, but a match between these two guys might be a lot closer than most people think.

Skabeast121
05-22-2010, 01:31 PM
Hanescu is easy? Don't think so. He has 930 points on clay in the past year. That's tenth best in the ATP.
Still, I think Djokovic will make it to Ferrer. But not beat him.

This is true but seriously Hanescu has yet to beat anyone good. Also he doesn't have any weapons to really hurt Djokovic but who knows.

@ Augustus - yeah Novak is one of my fav players to watch especially on clay. But right now I think making it to the semis is a tall order for him, who knows maybe he can dig deep for a couple weeks. Its all about peeking at the right time maybe he might do just that

davey25
05-22-2010, 01:31 PM
The toughest part for Djokovic is having Ferrer as his projected quarterfinal. Ferrer owns Djokovic on clay even when Djokovic was playing alot better than now. No way Djokovic wins that one in his current form if that happens IMO. Djokovic thus has to hope Ferrer is upset by someone earlier to have any shot of the semis. The other rounds shouldnt be too tough if he is in form. JCF is far past his prime, Querrey is not really a clay courter. Korolev and Hanescu could be tough, but Novak in decent form should go through.

As for Roddick no chance he makes the quarters. I will be surprised if he even makes it past the 3rd round with that draw.

Skabeast121
05-22-2010, 01:33 PM
Nobody has any thoughts on Nishikori? I think if anyone is gonna beat him before the QFs its gonna be him

jamesblakefan#1
05-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Korolev is another overrated Russian headcase, 1D ball basher who I don't believe has a win on clay all season. Wrong: he has one win on clay, everything else 1R loss, and has only made it out of the 2nd round of one event this year. Basically he has no shot of beating Novak unless Novak comes out w/ a wheelchair, bird flu and SARS.

Nishikori isn't getting out of the 1st round, as of right now he's more hype than substance anyways and would get mauled on clay if he played Djokovic.

Nish's opponent Giraldo, however could pose some resistance for Djokovic 2R, may take a set but that's about it unless Djoker's in even worse form than last year.

Hanescu hasn't shown that he has what it takes to beat a top dog, though who knows this could be his breakthrough. After that, Ferrero or Querrey, which could be a test, then Ferrer, which would be a definite battle.

Basically 1st 3 rounds are winnable, if Novak can get his head on right he can definitely make the QF. After that it's a toss up. Not that difficult of a draw TBH, he did get the short straw by drawing Roddick in his quarter instead of Verdasco, Soderling, or Tsonga even who as poor as he is on clay seems to have Novak's number a bit. Not a hard draw at all IMO.

jamesblakefan#1
05-22-2010, 01:40 PM
Nobody has any thoughts on Nishikori? I think if anyone is gonna beat him before the QFs its gonna be him

See my thoughts above, though I could be wrong. Is he anywhere decent of a clay courter at all? I honestly have no idea, but I wouldn't think so seeing as how he was trained here in the US and you all know our great non existent CC program. I'd be surprised if he wins vs Giraldo TBH. I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you.

Serendipitous
05-22-2010, 01:43 PM
James Baker will win the hole THING.

Skabeast121
05-22-2010, 01:58 PM
See my thoughts above, though I could be wrong. Is he anywhere decent of a clay courter at all? I honestly have no idea, but I wouldn't think so seeing as how he was trained here in the US and you all know our great non existent CC program. I'd be surprised if he wins vs Giraldo TBH. I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you.

Clay courts are his best surface actually, and he just won the Savannah and Sarasota challenger tournaments in very convincing fashion. The reason many don't know how good he is was because of his injury all last year. But Kei is back and ready!!!!

jamesblakefan#1
05-22-2010, 02:04 PM
Still we all know American clay and Euro clay are a bit different. And Giraldo is no pushover, he did smoke JCF in Rome. I'd say Giraldo wins, but who knows, maybe I'm wrong. We'll see.

bolo
05-22-2010, 02:08 PM
Clay courts are his best surface actually, and he just won the Savannah and Sarasota challenger tournaments in very convincing fashion. The reason many don't know how good he is was because of his injury all last year. But Kei is back and ready!!!!

one of those was clay courts right? He has said before that he likes playing on clay and thinks that he will do well there.

The other guy djokovic might play has some pop, but kei's solid everywhere off the ground, has variety and has a nice court sense. I remember nadal saying that you give kei a little bit of time on the forehand and he will kill you everytime, lol. :) Djokovic better watch out for this guy.

Skabeast121
05-22-2010, 02:14 PM
@bolo actually both of the tournaments were on clay

Dimension
05-22-2010, 02:23 PM
@bolo actually both of the tournaments were on clay

You surely are a man of your word, ska. :)

Telepatic
05-22-2010, 03:19 PM
Yes, it's kinda though, but no easy draws today..It's just Murray who got lucky now..same thing happened to Nole at the AO..

Ballbashing Grinder
05-22-2010, 06:23 PM
Korolev is another overrated Russian headcase, 1D ball basher who I don't believe has a win on clay all season. Wrong: he has one win on clay, everything else 1R loss, and has only made it out of the 2nd round of one event this year. Basically he has no shot of beating Novak unless Novak comes out w/ a wheelchair, bird flu and SARS.

Nishikori isn't getting out of the 1st round, as of right now he's more hype than substance anyways and would get mauled on clay if he played Djokovic.

Nish's opponent Giraldo, however could pose some resistance for Djokovic 2R, may take a set but that's about it unless Djoker's in even worse form than last year.

Hanescu hasn't shown that he has what it takes to beat a top dog, though who knows this could be his breakthrough. After that, Ferrero or Querrey, which could be a test, then Ferrer, which would be a definite battle.

Basically 1st 3 rounds are winnable, if Novak can get his head on right he can definitely make the QF. After that it's a toss up. Not that difficult of a draw TBH, he did get the short straw by drawing Roddick in his quarter instead of Verdasco, Soderling, or Tsonga even who as poor as he is on clay seems to have Novak's number a bit. Not a hard draw at all IMO.

Oh come on, he really drew Ferrer in his quarter who we all know is having an excellent clay court season.Btw any info on this Giraldo guy,who did he lose to in Rome after beating JCF?

Anyway if this is the case as reported by ESPN,it doesn't really matter who he's playing...
http://espn.go.com/sports/tennis/not...ed-tough-draws

No. 3 Novak Djokovic: Based on the way he was laboring Friday, Djokovic will be lucky to get by Evgeny Korolev in the first round. Hitting with Andy Murray on the Suzanne Lenglen court, he labored -- breathing heavily and coughing up phlegm in what seemed to be the lingering effects of asthma that forced him to retire from the Serbia Open. Korolev has lost six of his past seven matches, but Djokovic looked something less than fit. He's also got Sam Querrey and Juan Carlos Ferrero in his quarter of the draw. Ferrer or Roddick would likely await in the quarters.

As well as suffering from the allergies,God knows what kind of regular fitness training he has lost out on aswell due to having to rest etc.Not good for a best of five slam- I really hope he has improved some by his first round otherwise...

Skabeast121
05-22-2010, 06:35 PM
I wanna see Nishikori beat him I could care less about Korolev! Kei needs the glory!

vortex1
05-22-2010, 06:39 PM
Djoker lost twice to Verdasco - a solid clay courter and a top 10 player. I don't see why he would lose to challenger level mugs like Nishikori or Korolev. Please be realistic. Djokovic is still solid enough to make QF easily.

Fedace
05-22-2010, 06:46 PM
don't worry. he suck now and he will lose in the 3rd round to hanescu.......

djokovicgonzalez2010
05-22-2010, 06:49 PM
giraldo > nishikori atm

jamesblakefan#1
05-22-2010, 06:57 PM
In any case, if Djoker's that sick he should just pull out and rest for Wimbledon. It's not like he has that many points to defend @ RG, meanwhile he does at Wimbledon on his weaker surface. If he loses though there shouldn't be any excuses. You show up to play, win or lose. But knowing Djokovic he may just retire in the 1st match if it's as bad as that article makes it sound.

jamesblakefan#1
05-30-2010, 08:33 PM
I know you can only play who is in front of you, but it really does amaze me how Djokovic keeps getting these joke draws at the slams.

AO 10 - doesn't have an opponent inside the top 50 and only 1 inside the top 75 before reaching the QF and losing to Tsonga

USO 09 - A little better, but 2 of 3 opponents out of the top 150 and Ljubicic #51 1R (back when Ljub was still sucking) before Stepanek Rof16 and perennial whipping boy Chokedasco QF.

W 09 - faced no top 20 opponent and one top 40 opponent (Fish) to reach QF and lose to Haas.

RG 09 - two opponents out of the top 100 before losing to Kohlschreiber

AO 09 - #220 Stoppini, #68 Chardy, #127 Delic, #97 out of shape Baghdatis before losing to Roddick via retirement.

Now this year at RG - Non CCer Korolev, inexperienced Nishikori, pushover Hanescu, now instead of Ferrero, CC god Ginepri to get to the QF, and in the QF either Gabashvili or Melzer now that Ferrer's out. All while he's in some of the worse form of his career, yet he still makes the QF/SF due to some generous draws.

Novak Djokovic - the master of joke draws.

OKUSA
05-30-2010, 08:37 PM
If he doesn't make it to the semi's with this god gifted draw, there is no way he is #3 clay courter in the world

djokovicgonzalez2010
05-30-2010, 09:00 PM
IMO, he's been pretty unlucky actually, especially at nonslams

jamesblakefan#1
05-30-2010, 09:06 PM
IMO, he's been pretty unlucky actually, especially at nonslams

How so? He's only played 2 top 10 players this entire season and lost both of them (Verdasco, Tsonga). He's had a host of matches which he should've lost but didn't due to opponents blowing leads (Ljubicic, Baghdatis, Youzhny in Dubai, Fish/Kohlschreiber in IW). He's had some of the most generous draws any top 4 player can hope for on a consistent basis. He's basically had no serve all season. And yet somehow he's still #3 in the world and about to make another slam QF thanks to ANOTHER generous draw. So how has he been unlucky?

davey25
05-30-2010, 09:21 PM
I know you can only play who is in front of you, but it really does amaze me how Djokovic keeps getting these joke draws at the slams.

AO 10 - doesn't have an opponent inside the top 50 and only 1 inside the top 75 before reaching the QF and losing to Tsonga

USO 09 - A little better, but 2 of 3 opponents out of the top 150 and Ljubicic #51 1R (back when Ljub was still sucking) before Stepanek Rof16 and perennial whipping boy Chokedasco QF.

W 09 - faced no top 20 opponent and one top 40 opponent (Fish) to reach QF and lose to Haas.

RG 09 - two opponents out of the top 100 before losing to Kohlschreiber

AO 09 - #220 Stoppini, #68 Chardy, #127 Delic, #97 out of shape Baghdatis before losing to Roddick via retirement.

Now this year at RG - Non CCer Korolev, inexperienced Nishikori, pushover Hanescu, now instead of Ferrero, CC god Ginepri to get to the QF, and in the QF either Gabashvili or Melzer now that Ferrer's out. All while he's in some of the worse form of his career, yet he still makes the QF/SF due to some generous draws.

Novak Djokovic - the master of joke draws.

He has definitely been the luckiest guy on tour as far as draws the last year atleast. It has helped him in some ways, but maybe not in others as he probably does not realize how far his game and confidence has dropped as he keeps getting very strong/lucky results mainly due to his draws for awhile now.

Halba
05-30-2010, 09:28 PM
He has definitely been the luckiest guy on tour as far as draws the last year atleast. It has helped him in some ways, but maybe not in others as he probably does not realize how far his game and confidence has dropped as he keeps getting very strong/lucky results mainly due to his draws for awhile now.

the bad draws have been hindering him. he is getting lack of match practise, and suddenly he draws a big gun, like tsonga at AO, and it'll be rafa here.

then his confidence slip further

rafa and roger atleast get tests before SF. soderling and berdych are formidable big hitters, and rafa will get bellucci and a top clay courter in almagro?

Cyan
05-31-2010, 08:15 AM
LOL....

Nole has a challenger draw.