PDA

View Full Version : Poll : Which is the best phone?

lovecr717
05-22-2010, 08:28 PM
Will be getting a new phone next month but have no idea which should I purchase.

Did some internet searching and the best phones around are Iphone 3GS, HTC Droid Incredible, Google Nexus One, HTC Legend and HTC Desire while Nokia N900 and N97 have some mixed reviews.

Anyone using or have experience with those phones? Your opinions will be greatly appreciated!

ps: Personally I am not feeling the Iphone 3GS because there are just way too many people using it nowadays. :neutral:

Enzo
05-22-2010, 08:34 PM
HTC Evo. end thread/

Puredrivetennis
05-22-2010, 08:35 PM
im not sure what its called in the us.. but google "samsung omnia 2"... similar interface as iphone but very, very sleek, much more streamlined in my opinion.. do some reasearch. ive had an iphone but since switched to this, and wouldnt switch back if i had to

lovecr717
05-22-2010, 08:48 PM
htc evo and samsung Omnia II look definitely cool! but i never used a htc or samsung phone before, are they user- friendly? how is their durability ? i want a phone that will last quite long , about 2 years or so.

Enzo
05-22-2010, 09:03 PM
HTC phones are very unique. Not only is the Evo an android phone, it utilizes HTC Sense, which is a user interface that is one of a kind. Very user friendly and highly customizable. It's also a 4G and WiMAX enabled phone so it's well ahead of the game and will be relevant for years to come.

Puredrivetennis
05-22-2010, 09:03 PM
i cant speak for htc, but ive had kyocera, blackberry, nokia, samsung, lg, sony, apple and samsung is hands down the overall best.. very solid, well built phones that are designed to be "life proof"

Ultra2HolyGrail
05-23-2010, 12:16 AM
Google phone. Most secure on the planet.

subz
05-23-2010, 02:14 AM
I think iphone has the best touch screen.... Nokia are good but I didnt like their touch screen. iPhone has a capacitive screen and nokia are resistive. Nokia will be releasing a new N8 phone, which looks very promising. If I were you, I would wait for the next iPhone, if buying a new phone is not urgent.

SuperFly
05-23-2010, 06:59 AM
Any HTC phone. I was going to get one but they were sold out all over Chicago, so I got stuck with an LG. DO NOT GET AN LG, THEY SUCK.

ktownva
05-23-2010, 08:02 AM
I would go with the iPhone. It is an amazing device, and really everyone else is copying it in one way or another. Get the real thing.

rosenstar
05-23-2010, 08:10 AM
Love my iphone, I use it for everything. Only downside is it doesn't have a key board, other than that, I have no qualms with it whatsoever

quest01
05-23-2010, 09:27 AM
The iphone3gs is the best phone on the market today until the iphone 4g comes out in the summer. The iphone is made by Apple so you don't have to worry about viruses compared to Android powered devices which is made from PC software that contain viruses and spamware and so forth. Stick with Apple products, they are the best.

Fee
05-23-2010, 10:09 AM
Are you in the US, and what network are you on? If you are on AT&T, you might want to wait for the new iPhone but then you'll have to deal with all the dropped calls and the crowded, slow network in certain cities.

Other than that, read the reviews at CNET and other places that give full run downs of the features. That might help you.

flyinghippos101
05-23-2010, 10:17 AM
The iphone3gs is the best phone on the market today until the iphone 4g comes out in the summer. The iphone is made by Apple so you don't have to worry about viruses compared to Android powered devices which is made from PC software that contain viruses and spamware and so forth. Stick with Apple products, they are the best.

You know, once the apple market and ownership is big enough, which it probably will be considering the growing popularity, programmers would probably begin writing virusese for apple

Puredrivetennis
05-23-2010, 10:52 AM
You know, once the apple market and ownership is big enough, which it probably will be considering the growing popularity, programmers would probably begin writing virusese for apple

bound to happen sooner or later... cnet did a segment about the growing worry for virus capability with the ipad and 4g. ill stick to my omnia; 2/3's the price and 2x the phone ;)

dunno
05-23-2010, 11:19 AM
When I compared the HTC Droid Eris(is the Incredible the successor?) to other phones I prefered its ease of use. The Iphone is the standard smart phone, but I prefer more unique stuff, and I hate ATT so I'd go with a phone from verizon.

BigServer1
05-23-2010, 11:42 PM

Uh, no. I've had two different Android phones over the last year, and I've never had any problems with any of that.

Android offers open source development of their mobile applications, which gives people a lot of freedom to write anything they want for the phone. This does open the platform up for the possibility of harmful applications, while also opening up the platform to endless possibilities of customization and options. Long story short, if you're not a total moron, your Android device will be healthy and long lasting.

The iPhone is fine, but you have to deal with AT&T which is hands down the worst cell service on the planet. The best phone/service combo is an Android running on Verizon. I've got a Motorola Cliq (T-Mobile, which is good service, especially for the price), which is awesome b/c of the full capacitive touchscreen, but also has a slide out keyboard which makes texting/emaiing SO much better than any touch screen I've ever used.

PimpMyGame
05-24-2010, 12:27 AM
iPhone for me. Runs smoothly, the simplicity of only 1 program running at a time means fewer problems, and it's very intuitive to use. Great device all round.

lovecr717
05-24-2010, 06:56 AM
hey guys thanks for the feedbacks and recommendations they are certainly useful!!

for those who are wondering, I'm not in the US, I'm from the asia :)

as for now i think i might be going for the HTC Evo 4G or Droid Incredible but i heard the AMOLED screen for Droid Incredible is barely visible under the sun and the reception is poor :confused: now this is for sure a major drawback.

what do you think?

jrod
05-24-2010, 07:05 AM
HTC phones are very unique. Not only is the Evo an android phone, it utilizes HTC Sense, which is a user interface that is one of a kind. Very user friendly and highly customizable. It's also a 4G and WiMAX enabled phone so it's well ahead of the game and will be relevant for years to come.

4G? This is an utterly meaningless statement.

As for WiMAX, this technology barely exists and will vanish as soon as LTE gets deployed...whenever the hell that is.

downs_chris
05-24-2010, 07:05 AM
HTC Evo. end thread/

+1 -- i'm on this when it comes out...

lovecr717
05-24-2010, 07:09 AM
4G? This is an utterly meaningless statement.

As for WiMAX, this technology barely exists and will vanish as soon as LTE gets deployed...whenever the hell that is.

mind enlightening me 'cause i have no idea what is a 4G...

Sleepstream
05-24-2010, 07:10 AM
I'm waiting to see how the Nokia N8 is going to be.

jrod
05-24-2010, 07:14 AM

Exactly. Neither does Enzo.

downs_chris
05-24-2010, 07:15 AM

a faster network...but it's only available in a few select cities...

jrod
05-24-2010, 07:43 AM
a faster network...but it's only available in a few select cities...

4G don't exist yet. Some think WiMAX is 4G, but it's not. Clearwire has deployed WiMAX but will likely be out of business if they continue with this technology island.

As for 4G being faster than 3G, well, that's not entirely true either. The 3G networks have more load on them right now so the comparison is bogus. A lightly loaded 3G network would be faster than a heavily loaded 4G one. The fact of the matter is, 4G is not significantly faster than 3G when both are equally loaded. Furthermore, the deployment of 4G is still probably a couple of years away so don't go holding your breath. It takes a lot of time and money to roll out a new technology and if the economy continues to sputter along the 4G roll-out plans will continue to be delayed.

My suggestion is don't get enamored with hollow promises like "the phone is 4G ready". When selecting a phone you should first decide whether or not the coverage offered by the operator (i.e. Verizon, Sprint, ATT, etc.) is going to meet your needs. The bottom line is having a really fast network or the coolest phone is essentially useless if the network's coverage sucks.

Tina
05-24-2010, 10:50 AM
I manage to get a Iphone next year.

Enzo
05-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Exactly. Neither does Enzo.

Way to make accusations about my knowledge of the subject when you know absolutely nothing about me.

jrod
05-24-2010, 12:20 PM
Way to make accusations about my knowledge of the subject when you know absolutely nothing about me.

I don't have to know anything about you to know that the statement about 4G is noise. I work in the wireless industry and constantly deal with people who insist on using this term, yet when they are challenged to define it the best they can do is provide an ambiguous response.

That said, I'm rather anxious to learn what you do know about 4G...

Sandwichman
05-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Wait a few months until Apple announces the new iPhone, the one that got leaked.

Enzo
05-24-2010, 12:51 PM
I don't have to know anything about you to know that the statement about 4G is noise. I work in the wireless industry and constantly deal with people who insist on using this term, yet when they are challenged to define it the best they can do is provide an ambiguous response.

That said, I'm rather anxious to learn what you do know about 4G...

Enough to know that it is indeed faster than 3G...

jrod
05-24-2010, 12:57 PM
Enough to know that it is indeed faster than 3G...

What exactly do you mean by "faster"? Do you mean it's faster than 3G at downloading internet content? Or faster at getting connected? Or has lower latency? Has higher peak data rates? What?

The truth is that once 4G is actually deployed and people are using it, it won't be any faster than 3G. I can assure you that users won't be able to perceive any difference whatsoever, and that includes both you and me.

Slazenger07
05-24-2010, 12:59 PM
I-phone 3GS! Thats what Ive got, sweet phone

CHOcobo
05-24-2010, 12:59 PM
all iphones suck *** (as a phone itself). every time i talk to a friend with one, can't hear crap.

jrod
05-24-2010, 01:41 PM
all iphones suck *** (as a phone itself). every time i talk to a friend with one, can't hear crap.

How do you know that is due to the phone? In all likelihood it is the network and not the phone.

onehandbh
05-24-2010, 01:55 PM
As it stands now, there isn't ONE cell carrier that universally
has the best phone reception/service. Each carrier uses
a different technology to transmit their signals. They each
work best in certain kinds of terrain. One works well in a valley/
bowl like terrain. another isn't as good in that terrain but is
better in mountainous terrain. FYI, Verizon REALLLY sucks in
parts of socal. Whenever my sister comes to visit, she may
as well just turn off her phone. Sprint used to suck but is
better in socal now.

Slazenger07
05-24-2010, 02:22 PM

Its your network, not the phone

jrod
05-24-2010, 07:55 PM
As it stands now, there isn't ONE cell carrier that universally
has the best phone reception/service. Each carrier uses
a different technology to transmit their signals. They each
work best in certain kinds of terrain. One works well in a valley/
bowl like terrain. another isn't as good in that terrain but is
better in mountainous terrain. FYI, Verizon REALLLY sucks in
parts of socal. Whenever my sister comes to visit, she may
as well just turn off her phone. Sprint used to suck but is
better in socal now.

Nice try, but nowhere close to reality. At this point there are two dominant technologies used for cellular coverage in the US, and both are based on something called Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA). The idea that one technology works better in a given type of terrain is absurd, as CDMA is designed to work exceedingly well in conditions where multipath exists. What you are likely describing is simply an artifact of the coverage footprint and not technology differences. In other words, the service sucks where there is lousy signal level or too much interference. This differs from carrier to carrier because they don't necessarily share the same towers.

Finally, your reference to Sprint having better service than Verizon is not an accurate reflection of the situation nationwide. The fact of the matter is Sprint exclusively uses spectrum located at 1.9 GHz whereas Verizon employs spectrum in the 900 MHz band augmented with spectrum at 1.9 GHz primarily in the urban markets where additional capacity is needed. If you dig out your old physics books you would realize that radio waves at higher frequencies (1.9 GHz) suffer greater attenuation than those at lower frequencies (900 MHz). The bottom line is Sprint's coverage footprint is substantially smaller than Verizon's. So your observations are strictly anecdotal.

ktownva
05-27-2010, 08:03 AM
I change my original opinion that the iPhone is the one to have. I just traded my iPhone for an HTC HD2 and it is way nicer. True, it is running on top of not-great Windows Mobile software, but the HTC user interface is so cool. I love this phone a lot, and the iPhone has been bested IMO.