PDA

View Full Version : The Clay Slam?

JayChu
05-22-2010, 08:43 PM
OK, so the ATP World Tour site is promoting the idea that should Nadal win Roland Garros this year, he will be the first ever player to win the 'Clay Court Slam' which is winning the 3 Masters event and Roland Garros in the same calendar year.

So if there is something called the 'Clay Court Slam', what constitute as the 'Hard Court Slam' (Aussie Open, US Open and what)?

I kind of find this idea stupid. I mean the feat would be great and historic, but to call it a 'Clay Court Slam' is just too stupid.

vortex1
05-22-2010, 08:45 PM
OK, so the ATP World Tour site is promoting the idea that should Nadal win Roland Garros this year, he will be the first ever player to win the 'Clay Court Slam' which is winning the 3 Masters event and Roland Garros in the same calendar year.

So if there is something called the 'Clay Court Slam', what constitute as the 'Hard Court Slam' (Aussie Open, US Open and what)?

I kind of find this idea stupid. I mean the feat would be great and historic, but to call it a 'Clay Court Slam' is just too stupid.

AO+IW+Miami?

OKUSA
05-22-2010, 08:46 PM
toronto/montreal + cincy + uso

darthpwner
05-22-2010, 08:46 PM
AO+IW+Miami+U.S. Open Series+U.S. Open+WTF

bolo
05-22-2010, 08:47 PM
AO+IW+Miami+U.S. Open Series+U.S. Open+WTF

That would be pretty impressive. Who's gotten closest to that?

Totai
05-22-2010, 08:48 PM

I think federer has a "career" HC slam heheh

JayChu
05-22-2010, 08:52 PM

Federer in 2006 I think:

Won Aussie Open (def. Baghdatis)
Won IW (def. Blake)
Won Miami (def. Ljubicic)
Won Toronto (def. Gasquet)
Lost 2nd Round in Cincinnati (l. Murray)
Won US Open (def. Roddick)

bolo
05-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Federer in 2006 I think:

Won Aussie Open (def. Baghdatis)
Won IW (def. Blake)
Won Miami (def. Ljubicic)
Won Toronto (def. Gasquet)
Lost 2nd Round in Cincinnati (l. Murray)
Won US Open (def. Roddick)

Near domination. He also had 2 RU in the clay court masters that year, rome and hamburg. I remember that match with murray, he looked worn out to me in that match. Wikipedia says he won the WTF that year as well.

ruerooo
05-22-2010, 09:28 PM

AO, IW, Miami

Cincinnati, Rogers Cup, USO

I hate that they're doing this, though.

Rafa himself says "one match at a time". I'll bet he doesn't like it either.

ruerooo
05-22-2010, 09:30 PM
Near domination. He also had 2 RU in the clay court masters that year, rome and hamburg. I remember that match with murray, he looked worn out to me in that match. Wikipedia says he won the WTF that year as well.

That was just amazing.

I remember in 2008, when Rafa was winning everything, right after the Olympics, he looked whipped in his semi with Andy Murray.

Why do champions always look tired by the time they play Andy Murray?

Dimension
05-22-2010, 09:34 PM
That was just amazing.

I remember in 2008, when Rafa was winning everything, right after the Olympics, he looked whipped in his semi with Andy Murray.

Why do champions always look tired by the time they play Andy Murray?

Because Murray always casts magic spell on his opponents, particularly the top guys. His eyes are hypnotic and his swings unleash air-borne anesthetic.

himynameisNIKE
05-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Because Murray always casts magic spell on his opponents, particularly the top guys. His eyes are hypnotic and his swings unleash air-borne anesthetic.

http://i48.tinypic.com/fbj1ig.jpg

OKUSA
05-22-2010, 09:48 PM
i thought it was his left wrist that was hurting

batz
05-23-2010, 01:41 AM
i thought it was his left wrist that was hurting

Murray has had 2 wrist injuries - a niggle on his left wrist from around August last year that just needed a few weeks of rest and a major injury on his right that happened whilst leading 5-1 v Volandri at Hamburg in 2007.

That picture was taken about a picosecond after the major injury happened. I think it's nice when people post pictures of tennis pros in the throes of agony immediately after major injuries - there should be a thread dedicated to it.

MotherMarjorie
05-23-2010, 01:42 AM
Oh, so now that Nadal is totally deficient outside of clay, someone is trying to create a "special" clay slam? BWHAHAHAAHAHAHa

The only official "slam" that the ITF recognizes is the calendar year grand slam.

mandy01
05-23-2010, 01:50 AM
This IS really stupid :lol:

MotherMarjorie
05-23-2010, 01:52 AM
This IS really stupid :lol:
Should Nadal win the US Open, they'll probably try to claim he won the grand slam. Bwahahahahaha

dmt
05-23-2010, 01:58 AM
Oh, so now that Nadal is totally deficient outside of clay, someone is trying to create a "special" clay slam? BWHAHAHAAHAHAHa

The only official "slam" that the ITF recognizes is the calendar year grand slam.

Name me one player in the past 5 years who has a better record on hard courts and grass then Nadal? (other then federer, of course). You are simply a hater, you don't have the slightest clue of what you are talking about. You have been owned on another thread by a couple of posters, yet you keep repeating this nonsense over and over again.

dmt
05-23-2010, 02:11 AM
here is the "totally deficient" Nadal

http://static.zooomr.com/images/5623534_e7be984a4c.jpg

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-02/01/xin_352020601232596831991.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Qg6J04XZhR4/SiuHM7BtK7I/AAAAAAAAHSM/BHTMW8AI_a4/s400/rafael+nadal+to+miss+queen's+club.jpg
http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2008/07/NadalTrophyEPA_450x350.jpg

MotherMarjorie
05-23-2010, 02:35 AM
Name me one player in the past 5 years who has a better record on hard courts and grass then Nadal? (other then federer, of course). You are simply a hater, you don't have the slightest clue of what you are talking about. You have been owned on another thread by a couple of posters, yet you keep repeating this nonsense over and over again.
Andy Roddick on Hard Court. Very close on grass. And Andy has only won one grand slam title.

Oh, you poor thing. Mother Marjorie has a special place in her heart for you.
Revisionists history cannot change what we already know. You can create all the "clay slams" in tennis you like, but it will not make Nadal historically greater than Borg, Sampras, Federer, Laver, etc. etc. Its really sad to watch people desperately search for anything they can to artificially and prematurely elevate Nadal historically.

Its just silly to watch people attempt to dumb-down the history of tennis by elevating the status of one tennis surface. Mother Marjorie will call it out every time.

Oh, yes she will!

sixone90
05-23-2010, 02:45 AM
Federer has won the Grass Slam countless times

namelessone
05-23-2010, 02:47 AM
Clay Slam sounds dumb but if he wins RG he will have completed a clay sweep which no one has done in the open era,to win three masters + RG,thus making it the greatest claycourt season showing in the open era. And remember,Nadal plays only big CC events,I shudder to think what his record would be if he played 500 and 250 events with some rest in between. To play only the biggest CC events in the last five years or so and have a 90% winning percentage on this surface is crazy.

sh@de
05-23-2010, 02:54 AM
Clay Slam sounds dumb but if he wins RG he will have completed a clay sweep which no one has done in the open era,to win three masters + RG,thus making it the greatest claycourt season showing in the open era. And remember,Nadal plays only big CC events,I shudder to think what his record would be if he played 500 and 250 events with some rest in between. To play only the biggest CC events in the last five years or so and have a 90% winning percentage on this surface is crazy.

A) He wouldn't get enough rest in between

and

B) He would lose eventually (because of not enough rest), and then he'd say it was his knees (which would probably be true) and then the whole TTW board would go nuts again.

So, not a good idea. :p

MotherMarjorie
05-23-2010, 02:59 AM
Federer has won the Grass Slam countless times
Don't get Mother Marjorie started.

Cassius Clay
05-23-2010, 06:34 AM
Andy Roddick on Hard Court. Very close on grass. And Andy has only won one grand slam title.

Oh, you poor thing. Mother Marjorie has a special place in her heart for you.
Revisionists history cannot change what we already know. You can create all the "clay slams" in tennis you like, but it will not make Nadal historically greater than Borg, Sampras, Federer, Laver, etc. etc. Its really sad to watch people desperately search for anything they can to artificially and prematurely elevate Nadal historically.

Its just silly to watch people attempt to dumb-down the history of tennis by elevating the status of one tennis surface. Mother Marjorie will call it out every time.

Oh, yes she will!

One more French Open and Nadal will be, no doubt, the best clay courter ever.