PDA

View Full Version : Nadal Vs. Del Potro

prattle128
05-23-2010, 12:01 AM
I was thinking this match-up over a bit, and I couldn't help but wonder just how effective Del Potro might prove to be against Nadal on clay. On hardcourts, Del Potro has shown that he can pretty much make Nadal his ***** ever since his win against him at Miami in 2009. U.S. Open semi-final being another example of the kind of trouble that Del Potro presents Nadal. Even though Del Potro doesn't really have all the titles and glorious clay wins that would suggest that he can compete with Nadal on clay- he has shown that he has no trouble with Nadal on other surfaces. Also, a big hard-hitting player like Del Po (Soderling) beat Nadal on his best surface (potential health questions aside).

I think that of the various challengers that Nadal would face, Del Potro would easily be one of the best to contend with Nadal. He made it to the semi-finals of the tournament last year, and nearly beat the eventual champion in the process. I'm really disappointed that Del Po has had such bad luck with his wrist this year since I think that they would make for a really interesting match-up on clay.

Clay lover
05-23-2010, 12:03 AM
Tall, hard-serving and powerful. Surely one of the greater threats to Nadal's FO bid. Too bad he's injured this year, though.

vortex1
05-23-2010, 12:14 AM
I was thinking this match-up over a bit, and I couldn't help but wonder just how effective Del Potro might prove to be against Nadal on clay. On hardcourts, Del Potro has shown that he can pretty much make Nadal his ***** ever since his win against him at Miami in 2009. U.S. Open semi-final being another example of the kind of trouble that Del Potro presents Nadal. Even though Del Potro doesn't really have all the titles and glorious clay wins that would suggest that he can compete with Nadal on clay- he has shown that he has no trouble with Nadal on other surfaces. Also, a big hard-hitting player like Del Po (Soderling) beat Nadal on his best surface (potential health questions aside).

I think that of the various challengers that Nadal would face, Del Potro would easily be one of the best to contend with Nadal. He made it to the semi-finals of the tournament last year, and nearly beat the eventual champion in the process. I'm really disappointed that Del Po has had such bad luck with his wrist this year since I think that they would make for a really interesting match-up on clay.

In Miami Delpo won in third set tie break. USO, Nadal was injured. I don't see how Delpo can "make Nadal his *****" on hard courts.

On clay, Nadal would demolish him. Delpo couldn't even beat a poorly playing Federer on clay. Keep dreaming about Delpo having a chance against Nadal on clay. Hilarious.

Carsomyr
05-23-2010, 12:21 AM
In Miami Delpo won in third set tie break. USO, Nadal was injured. I don't see how Delpo can "make Nadal his *****" on hard courts.

On clay, Nadal would demolish him. Delpo couldn't even beat a poorly playing Federer on clay. Keep dreaming about Delpo having a chance against Nadal on clay. Hilarious.

I suppose Nadal was injured when he got blasted off the court in Montreal, too? And this isn't about del Potro and Federer; Federer isn't as troubled by big hitters as Nadal is. I think Nadal will win the French this year, but if Delpo is healthy and Cilic proves he's even more capable next year, I'd suggest getting worried to all the Nadal fans.

Anaconda
05-23-2010, 12:23 AM

So was Nadal injured against Monfils and Gonzalez before his semifinal with JMDP? You know, healthy Nadal got thumped by Gonzo in AO 2007.....i guess Nadal was injured then also. :roll:

vortex1
05-23-2010, 12:34 AM
So was Nadal injured against Monfils and Gonzalez before his semifinal with JMDP? You know, healthy Nadal got thumped by Gonzo in AO 2007.....i guess Nadal was injured then also. :roll:

Gonzalez and Monfils can't trouble even injured Nadal now on any surface. Monfils is a clown and Gonzo is too inconsistent.

2007, Nadal was outplayed, yes. But he wasn't as good on HC as he later became, so that example is pointless.

mandy01
05-23-2010, 12:43 AM
Yes,Nadal was injured in his match against Gonzo too.Remember the "I have pain in my famous arse" comment?
Rafito is always tired and injured when he loses.I suspect the sun was in his eyes too.

P_Agony
05-23-2010, 12:46 AM

No he wasn't. God I'm sick of reading tht sentence everytime Nadal losses a match.

gold soundz
05-23-2010, 12:48 AM
Delpo would have been the biggest threat to Nadal at the FO if he were playing. Much more than Federer.

dmt
05-23-2010, 12:55 AM
Del Potro is a terrefic player and i hope he recovers soon and gets back to his best.

That being said, he's being over rated on clay. Apart from the semi final result at rg, he doesn't have any real accomplishments on the surface, for example making a masters 1000 event final. Had he made the final last year at Monte Carlo, Barcelona, or Rome, then maybe we'd have a better idea of how he'd do against Nadal. And yes he was close to making the final at rg last year, but so what? He couldnt beat Roger who wasn't playing as well as he did in 05-07 on clay. He clearly isnt as good a clay courter as Djokovic either. Lets see him make the final of a major clay court event (fo, or any of the masters 1000 events on the surface) before picking him over Nadal.

His results on clay (outside of a fo semi final) simply aren't that good. He's never made the final of any clay masters 1000 events. I am surprised some people think he's the third best clay courter behing Nadal and Federer. Nadal, then Federer, then Djokovic are the three best clay courters. Del Potro needs to consistently do well on clay to prove that he is as good as he's made out to be, on that surface.

Rippy
05-23-2010, 12:57 AM

It's about matchups though. As someone else said above, Nadal does seem to have more problems with big-hitters than Federer does.

Rhino
05-23-2010, 01:01 AM
I believe Delpo would beat him on clay.

Anaconda
05-23-2010, 01:02 AM
Gonzalez and Monfils can't trouble even injured Nadal now on any surface. Monfils is a clown and Gonzo is too inconsistent.

2007, Nadal was outplayed, yes. But he wasn't as good on HC as he later became, so that example is pointless.

Ok, Tsonga Def Nadal 6-2 6-3 6-2. Not pointless. Nadal was healthy and it was the start of the year and it was in Nadal's best year. FACT!

dmt
05-23-2010, 01:04 AM
I believe Nadal would beat him on clay, in 4 competitive sets though. Del Potro certainly stands a shot, but some people are over rating him on the red stuff. His results simply haven't been spectacular on clay. One good rg appearence isnt enough to convice me.

dmt
05-23-2010, 01:07 AM
Ok, Tsonga Def Nadal 6-2 6-3 6-2. Not pointless. Nadal was healthy and it was the start of the year and it was in Nadal's best year. FACT!

yes, its true that Nadal is vulnarable to big hitters on hard courts such as Del Potro, Djoker, and even Tsonga (although he has beaten Tsonga five times in a row). But he has very rarely lost on the red stuff. Look at Djokovic, he has pretty much dominated Nadal on hard, yet he can't really win against an inform Nadal on clay. Just because Del Potro can beat Nadal on hc doesnt mean he'll automatically win on clay. He certainly stands a shot, but i want to see more of him on clay before favouring him to beat rafa.

Carsomyr
05-23-2010, 01:10 AM
Del Potro is a terrefic player and i hope he recovers soon and gets back to his best.

That being said, he's being over rated on clay. Apart from the semi final result at rg, he doesn't have any real accomplishments on the surface, for example making a masters 1000 event final. Had he made the final last year at Monte Carlo, Barcelona, or Rome, then maybe we'd have a better idea of how he'd do against Nadal. And yes he was close to making the final at rg last year, but so what? He couldnt beat Roger who wasn't playing as well as he did in 05-07 on clay. He clearly isnt as good a clay courter as Djokovic either. Lets see him make the final of a major clay court event (fo, or any of the masters 1000 events on the surface) before picking him over Nadal.

His results on clay (outside of a fo semi final) simply aren't that good. He's never made the final of any clay masters 1000 events. I am surprised some people think he's the third best clay courter behing Nadal and Federer. Nadal, then Federer, then Djokovic are the three best clay courters. Del Potro needs to consistently do well on clay to prove that he is as good as he's made out to be, on that surface.

While your repetition is appreciated (in case we missed it the first time), it also ignores some very significant details. Aside from one bad loss in Monte Carlo, del Potro made the quarters of Rome and the semis of Madrid and RG. He lost in the quarters to Djokovic, who finished runner-up and his losses to Federer were losses to the winner of both tournaments.

dmt
05-23-2010, 01:12 AM
While your repetition is appreciated (in case we missed it the first time), it also ignores some very significant details. Aside from one bad loss in Monte Carlo, del Potro made the quarters of Rome and the semis of Madrid and RG. He lost in the quarters to Djokovic, who finished runner-up and his losses to Federer were losses to the winner of both tournaments.

My point was that he isnt the third best clay courter out there as some people claim he is- Djokovic is.

sh@de
05-23-2010, 01:58 AM

Tennis is about matchups, see Sod vs Fed and Fed vs Nadal as an example.

I don't need to dream about that bit. It's true, and what's hilarious is your inability to comprehend that.

sh@de
05-23-2010, 01:59 AM
My point was that he isnt the third best clay courter out there as some people claim he is- Djokovic is.

Nobody said he's the third best LOL, people just say he has a good chance against Nadal. Just because you can beat Nadal on clay doesn't mean you're the best on clay. I mean, do you honestly think Soderling is the best on clay because he beat Nadal last year at RG...? :shock:

:roll:

Radobg
05-23-2010, 02:32 AM
Last year there was only two competetive matches between Rafa and Juan!In Indian Wells and Miami!!Rafa won the first,Juan the second(after Nadal was leading with two breaks in the third set)!!The other two matches were when???After the long break that Nadal take because of the knees!!In Montreal and USO!!I don't want to make excuses,but we all know how he played in the second part of the season-AWFUL!!!!He lost not only to JMDP and to everybody from top10!!And yet he was a regular participant in the final stage of all tournaments he enter!!!
With all the respect to Juan(I like the guy)to consider him like some kind a nightmare for Rafa is far from the truth!!Yes DelPotro will win another matches in the future,but this will not happen as often as you think(or most of you want)!!Will be rare on hard and VERY,VERY rarely on grass or clay!!!!
I only hope both to be healthy and to make us witness to many spectacular matches in the future!!

Sentinel
05-23-2010, 03:16 AM
Tall, hard-serving and powerful. Surely one of the greater threats to Nadal's FO bid. Too bad he's injured this year, though.
+1
Nadal no match for noninjured Delpotro.

ruerooo
05-23-2010, 04:04 AM
No he wasn't. God I'm sick of reading tht sentence everytime Nadal losses a match.

He had a torn abdominal muscle. You don't have to like it.
It doesn't change the facts.

Cup8489
05-23-2010, 04:34 AM
He had a torn abdominal muscle. You don't have to like it.
It doesn't change the facts.

Funny how it didn't seem to affect any of his matches before getting spanked by Delpo... hmm.

By the way, vortex is just a clown. Doesn't know what he/she is talking about, and is being a typical ******* by downplaying Nadal's losses. Nadal certainly wouldnt have beaten Del potro even if he was 100 percent. Del Potro was going to win that match if God himself had intervened.

ruerooo
05-23-2010, 04:42 AM
Funny how it didn't seem to affect any of his matches before getting spanked by Delpo... hmm.

I'm going to assume you didn't attend the USO. Some of us were actually there.

However, if you remember correctly, Rafa said he wasn't interested in talking about his injuries before or after his Monfils match, and he had to play his QF match with Feņa in two parts because of the weather.

Just because a lack of perception didn't permit you to perceive or remember that he was affected by his injuries, that doesn't mean that he wasn't affected by them.

If you've been playing with an injury through at least three rounds of a tournament, it's going to affect your play more directly the longer you go on.

It's, you know, science.

Hitman
05-23-2010, 05:59 AM
I think Del Potro would be a nightmare match up for Rafa on clay.

The high cc forehand goes straight into Del Potro's firing zone. Last year we saw Del Potro's emergence as a top player.

With his massive hitting, huge wing span, he can spank winners from virtually every corner of that court, and can easily hit through Rafa. He is a far better version of Soderling.

Rafa would really have to work Del Potro around, get him moving towards the net, and then attempt to pass him. To beat him, he will actually need to get the ball down a lot against Del Potro, forcing him to hit up so Rafa can control the points. If Del Potro plants himself on the baseline, he can hit any part of that court, and as we've seen in the past, he has no problems hitting through Rafa.

I was really looking forward to watching this match this year, knowing this would be a match that was not going to be Rafa 100% winning.

And we know Del Potro has a winner's mentality, after giving Rafa the worse loss of his career in a slam, he hit through Roger and won the US.

aceX
05-23-2010, 06:16 AM
Delpo can make Nadal his b*tch

Yes he can 3 wins in a row against Nadal in 2009 supports this

joeri888
05-23-2010, 06:18 AM
Yeah, best Del Potro stands a chance, like best Soderling.

Big hardhitting, great serving players stand a good chance on clay if it's a hot day.

Nicholas Warino
05-23-2010, 07:08 AM
No one will be close to a favorite against Nadal on clay. Nadal has only lost 16 times out of 212 matches on clay in his career (92.45%). Since 2005, he's 175-6 (96.68%). Here are the people to beat him on clay in his prime (since 2005), with their career H2H on clay against Nadal in parentheses:

1. Roger Federer; 2007 Hamburg, 2009 Madrid (2-10; 16.7%)
2. Robin Soderling, 2009 French Open (1-3; 25%)
3. Juan Carlos Fererro, 2008 Rome (1-5; 16.7%)
4. Igor Andreev, 2005 Valencia (1-1; 50%)
5. Gaston Gaudio; 2005 Buenos Aires, 2004 Bastad, 2003 Hamburg (3-3; 50%)

Those are the only 5 people to have beaten Nadal during his prime on clay. Gaudio has the most wins with 3, but none since 2005. Federer has been the most successful player against Nadal on clay with a mighty total of 2 wins.

So, again, no one can be considered close to a favorite against Nadal on clay. However, next to Federer and Soderling, I do feel Del Potro has the best chance at beating Nadal on clay. He's 0-1 on clay against Nadal (Lost in straight sets in 2007 FO), but his game does match up as well as possible. Also, Del Potro has won his last 3 matches against Nadal (albeit on hardcourt), including 7 out of the last 8 sets.

Del Potro matches up well against Nadal because he's one of the few players on the tour that can hit through Nadal, even on clay. Soderling showed last year that this is perhaps the only way to beat Nadal on clay. Del Potro's flat FH and BH are some of the hardest on tour. On other surfaces, Nadal has shown some weakness and flat hitters, such as Blake, Davydenko, etc.

In addition, Del Potro's height (6'6") and 2HBH are the perfect counter to Nadal topspin forehand. With Federer, who's only 6'1" and has a 1HBH (which tend to struggle with high balls), Nadal has the perfect forehand, but that same forehand will be handled much easier with Del Potro and in fact might enter his wheelhouse.

Plus, even as a big guy, Del Potro's movement--and incredibly wingspan--make it difficult to hit through, especially on clay.

I think a healthy Del Potro would have a decent chance at beating Nadal on clay. Hopefully we'll be able to test this during next season's clay court run.

himynameisNIKE
05-23-2010, 07:26 AM
Last year there was only two competetive matches between Rafa and Juan!In Indian Wells and Miami!!Rafa won the first,Juan the second(after Nadal was leading with two breaks in the third set)!!The other two matches were when???After the long break that Nadal take because of the knees!!In Montreal and USO!!I don't want to make excuses,but we all know how he played in the second part of the season-AWFUL!!!!He lost not only to JMDP and to everybody from top10!!And yet he was a regular participant in the final stage of all tournaments he enter!!!
With all the respect to Juan(I like the guy)to consider him like some kind a nightmare for Rafa is far from the truth!!Yes DelPotro will win another matches in the future,but this will not happen as often as you think(or most of you want)!!Will be rare on hard and VERY,VERY rarely on grass or clay!!!!
I only hope both to be healthy and to make us witness to many spectacular matches in the future!!

this post made my head hurt :mad:

kraggy
05-23-2010, 07:31 AM
A healthy Delpo would probably be a threat . Nadal would still be a heavy favorite though. As someone else pointed out, Djoker often straight sets Nadal on HC, but on clay he has NEVER won. IMO after Fed, he gives Nadal his toughest matches though. And although Delpo has a bigger forehand and serve, Djoker has vastly superior movement on clay. So I expect Delpo results against Nadal to be similar to that of Djokers - a close match but Nadal winning eventually.

Anyway, hopefully we will get to see them face off on clay next year.

decades
05-23-2010, 08:02 AM
Unfortunately DelPo is proving to be quite fragile. And Nadal usually "Crushes" fragile things.

sh@de
05-23-2010, 08:06 AM
Unfortunately DelPo is proving to be quite fragile. And Nadal usually "Crushes" fragile things.

I know he certainly "crushes" his own knees...

bolo
05-23-2010, 08:08 AM
JMDP's got a great mental game. I loved the way he played cilic at the AO even though he was already hurting at that point. But right now I still take Nadal in 3 or 4 on clay.

Skabeast121
05-23-2010, 10:49 AM
I dislike both of these players so its easy for me to be unbiased :-P.

I gotta say Nadal as of now would win, but give Del Potro a few years. If he can return to his form that won him the US open with that monster forehand he is easily a new #1 candidate

Cyan
05-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Del Po is made of glass.

ChopShot
05-23-2010, 10:55 AM
Del Po is made of glass.

Slightly hypocritical coming from someone who's avatar is Mr. Fragile Knees :twisted:

Skabeast121
05-23-2010, 10:55 AM
^Only when playing Murray for some reason, other than that I didn't see lose any match he should have.

IMO Federer showed a lot of heart in the 09 French so kudos to him for that. Just bad luck for delpo

Cyan
05-23-2010, 10:56 AM
Slightly hypocritical coming from someone who's avatar is Mr. Fragile Knees :twisted:

It's not hypocrisy. It is reality.

Fedbelly
05-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Yes,Nadal was injured in his match against Gonzo too.Remember the "I have pain in my famous arse" comment?
Rafito is always tired and injured when he loses.I suspect the sun was in his eyes too.

If the sun was in his eyes, he should have hid in the toilet till it passed in the style of mr roger

brc444
05-23-2010, 06:52 PM
I think Delpo can challenge Nadal on clay and hopefully we get to see it next year

TheTruth
05-23-2010, 11:03 PM
I'm just wondering if Nadal is the only player Del Po has beat. Sure seems like it reading this thread. When Del Po gets well and if he picks up where he left off, Nadal won't be the only pro worried. His last statement was the biggest statement of them all. In a grand slam final, no doubt.