PDA

View Full Version : Gasquest denied request for Tuesday match v Murray

batz
05-23-2010, 06:55 AM
To be be fair to the RG Ref - I don't see what he can do. If him and Murray were in th ebottom half then fair enough; but they're not.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article7133973.ece

joeri888
05-23-2010, 07:08 AM
I agree.. Most French players in the top half play on Sunday. He'll play on Monday. I think it's harsh for Richie, but he can deal with it.

Looking forward to his match against Murray. I think he stands a chance.

batz
05-23-2010, 07:11 AM
I agree.. Most French players in the top half play on Sunday. He'll play on Monday. I think it's harsh for Richie, but he can deal with it.

He stands a very good chance Joeri

joeri888
05-23-2010, 07:13 AM
He stands a very good chance Joeri

Only if Murray keeps up his subpar performances from the last few months of course, and Gasquet can keep his positive energy alive. Than he does, yes, no doubt. However, I think Murray's 'tennis heart' will be a lot bigger in a Slam again, with all the hype and stuff around the courts, than it was during the clay season in general.

Think it's Murray in 4.

newmark401
05-23-2010, 07:25 AM
I'm not sure how a tired Gasquet will cope against A. Murray, especially with the added pressure of the Frenchman having to perform in front of his home crowd. Then again, given Murray's recent slump and the fact that clay is his worst surface, it should be quite an evenly matched encounter.

batz
05-23-2010, 07:26 AM
Only if Murray keeps up his subpar performances from the last few months of course, and Gasquet can keep his positive energy alive. Than he does, yes, no doubt. However, I think Murray's 'tennis heart' will be a lot bigger in a Slam again, with all the hype and stuff around the courts, than it was during the clay season in general.

Think it's Murray in 4.

Would bite your hand off for that result to be honest.

Murray actually played quite well in Madrid, so I'm hoping he's on the way back up, but Gasquet is never an easy match for him.

joeri888
05-23-2010, 07:35 AM
Would bite your hand off for that result to be honest.

Murray actually played quite well in Madrid, so I'm hoping he's on the way back up, but Gasquet is never an easy match for him.

You gotta favour Murray's chances if it gets tight. He's way more up for tight matches mentally.

vive le beau jeu !
05-23-2010, 07:53 AM

c'mon richie ! :)

by the way, what/who decides which half of the draw is the first to be played ? (draw ?)

Puredrivetennis
05-23-2010, 08:00 AM
tournament director decides all this and its really no surprise that he was not given a tuesday match.. that'd put the whole half of the draw in purgatory and, ultimately, make the winners schedule even more difficult

batz
05-23-2010, 08:17 AM
Match confirmed as THIRD up on LENGLEN tomorrow - they didn't even give Gasquet the last match of the day or centre court! That'll teach him to ask.

gold soundz
I just checked the schedule...I can't believe they've put Murray vs Gasquet on Suzanne Lenglen and not the center court!

woodrow1029
I don't think that he's gonna be successful with getting a Tuesday start in his "second appeal" either. This is the reason why all tour events the week before a grand slam should have a Saturday final.

joeri888
05-23-2010, 09:02 AM
I think it's unbelievable that the French decided to put Monfils at Chatrier over this match

davey25
05-23-2010, 09:05 AM
I think it's unbelievable that the French decided to put Monfils at Chatrier over this match

Monfils and Tsonga are the top French players now and will get most of the favored treatment.

Marius_Hancu
05-23-2010, 09:09 AM

Monfils and Tsonga are in with the Federation these days, Gasquet is so-so. There were conflicts over his Davis Cup participation.

It's a shame to see him on Monday and not on Center court. The French, as usual, are eating their best sons. Ancient tradition of the country. Think Zola, Hugo, for many years.

Skabeast121
05-23-2010, 11:46 AM
I still feel it wouldn't matter if he did have the rest. Gasquet would have to win the match in 3 and start hot, even then its not a guarantee vs Murray. Look at wimby 08

Cyan
05-23-2010, 11:54 AM
Poor Gasquet.

joeri888
05-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Monfils and Tsonga are the top French players now and will get most of the favored treatment.

It's not about treatment, it's about the most interesting match, the best matchup and the things the crowd wants to pay for most. There's a few channels here that ALWAYS show the centre court, and so probably no Gasquet-Murray on TV for me.. The French shouldn't just do players a favour, but do crowds, public and their own wallet a favour.

Puredrivetennis
05-23-2010, 02:12 PM
keep in mind that the players do have a say in where they play... maybe richard didnt want centre court?

Tennis360
05-23-2010, 04:54 PM
Monfils and Tsonga are in with the Federation these days, Gasquet is so-so. There were conflicts over his Davis Cup participation.

It's a shame to see him on Monday and not on Center court. The French, as usual, are eating their best sons. Ancient tradition of the country. Think Zola, Hugo, for many years.

The French Federation President Jean Gachassin was in Richard's match last saturday in Nice - did you see how he was cheering loud for Richard? I don't think this is about whether who's in or out with the Federation....I would say maybe Richard chose to play in Lenglen? firstly, I believe Lenglen is a little bit slower than Chatrier, second, the court atmosphere is a little more "subdued" and intimate. I was once in both stadiums as a spectator and I personally prefer Lenglen....and to my recollection, Richard had one of the horrible losses in his career at Chatrier - Vliegen comes to mind.

so I think Lenglen is a better choice.....although not in terms of TV coverage. I hope Tennis Channel shows it though.

Fedace
05-23-2010, 04:59 PM
Gasquet will STill Kick butt. this is Murray afterall. all his shots are flat, whick Gasquet Loves.

Xenakis
05-23-2010, 05:04 PM
Gasquet will STill Kick butt. this is Murray afterall. all his shots are flat, whick Gasquet Loves.

Fedace kiss of death hopefully.

Tennis360
05-23-2010, 05:21 PM

Thanks, Fedace for the positive vibe. I am already feeling the nerves myself for my fave player - Gasquet......as I badly want him to win this one....hope he is not feeling tired though.

Al Czervik
05-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Gasquet is +186, Murray -203 for this match. Put some cheddar on dick gasket at almost 2-1 and collect.

Marius_Hancu
05-23-2010, 05:30 PM
To be be fair to the RG Ref - I don't see what he can do. If him and Murray were in th ebottom half then fair enough; but they're not.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article7133973.ece

BS from them: they certainly placed Serena tomorrow, but not Henin (same quarter!)

DPhaneuf3
05-23-2010, 06:42 PM
Gasquet in 4 sets! murray is struggling big time!