PDA

View Full Version : What's up Clayton?

Larrysümmers
05-23-2010, 11:48 AM
What's going on? Has he had some mechanical problems with his game? Is it Mental? Is it injury? Or is he just bluffin?
I hope he works his kinks out, and has an awesome summer.

Fedace
05-23-2010, 04:52 PM
What's going on? Has he had some mechanical problems with his game? Is it Mental? Is it injury? Or is he just bluffin?

It is just mental at this point. and lost some motivation.:(

Jonny S&V
05-23-2010, 04:56 PM

It doesn't help him that he's a shot-maker, and shot-makers don't do well on a consistent basis unless they are top-100 ATP talent. He has a nice game, but I question many of his tactics...

Yaz
05-23-2010, 09:34 PM
Just doesn't seem like he's improved much since he was a frosh. Saw him play live at SU a few times this year and he looks like he's lost a little confidence. He's not a grinder so he'll never outrally his opponents, but he's not hurting anyone with his main weapons which are his serve and forehand. Way too low first serve %, and as Johnny said he doesn't seem to do enough to set up that big forehand. I like his game as well and hope he pulls it together, though...

Fedace
05-24-2010, 06:09 AM
Just doesn't seem like he's improved much since he was a frosh. Saw him play live at SU a few times this year and he looks like he's lost a little confidence. He's not a grinder so he'll never outrally his opponents, but he's not hurting anyone with his main weapons which are his serve and forehand. Way too low first serve %, and as Johnny said he doesn't seem to do enough to set up that big forehand. I like his game as well and hope he pulls it together, though...

Agree with this. Alex never developed or improved his transition game. His volley is now a liability. He will hit a big shot and come to the net and he seem to get lost if he doesn't get a sitter volley. At that level, you are not always going to get a easy putaway volleys, you have to have enough confidence to set up the easy 2nd volley with the 1st volley when you come in. and he needs to develop a touch drop volleys. when his opponents are pushed back 6 feet behind the baseline, alex needs to take advantage of that...

ClarkC
05-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Agree with this. Alex never developed or improved his transition game. His volley is now a liability. He will hit a big shot and come to the net and he seem to get lost if he doesn't get a sitter volley. At that level, you are not always going to get a easy putaway volleys, you have to have enough confidence to set up the easy 2nd volley with the 1st volley when you come in. and he needs to develop a touch drop volleys. when his opponents are pushed back 6 feet behind the baseline, alex needs to take advantage of that...

All this is obvious. It seems that a good coach would have noticed this and done something about it. But, Alex Clayton did not go to a school where he could receive good coaching. His mistake.

Joeyg
05-24-2010, 02:58 PM
I wonder if Coach Whit is burning up the phone lines to Fedace after his insightful post.

I would imagine that next year it is probable that we will all have to refer to him as Assistant Coach Doctor Fedace.