PDA

View Full Version : FO line judges

Jeewalk
05-23-2010, 01:28 PM
is it me or do the like judges at the french seem a little late with their calls?

Tennis_Monk
05-23-2010, 07:15 PM
No they dont. Must be perception

slicefox
05-23-2010, 08:21 PM
might be lag on your sound lol

Kegzz
05-24-2010, 01:17 AM
I've noticed that the ball has tended to go back over the net by the time they've called a shot out. I've also noticed that they're incredibly loud.

vortex1
05-24-2010, 01:26 AM
Is there a reason why players can't use hawkeye in RG? Relying on ball marks is pretty outdated.

jwbarrientos
05-24-2010, 08:56 AM
When you play on clay trend to see the aftermark of bounce, so ... it's possible a minor delay, BTW it is the only surface where the smoking gun is still there when the wind arrives :)

woodrow1029
05-24-2010, 09:04 AM
Line umpires on clay on very close balls are trained to wait a split second before making the out call to make sure that they see the mark clearly. It's one of the clay court techniques. That is why at all clay court tournaments, on balls that are very close, there will be some calls that seem a little late. And the players realize it too, which is why you hardly ever see a player complain of a late call on clay, unlike hard court or grass.

Jeewalk
05-25-2010, 12:19 AM
Line umpires on clay on very close balls are trained to wait a split second before making the out call to make sure that they see the mark clearly. It's one of the clay court techniques. That is why at all clay court tournaments, on balls that are very close, there will be some calls that seem a little late. And the players realize it too, which is why you hardly ever see a player complain of a late call on clay, unlike hard court or grass.

thank you very much for that answer it clears everything up, i was watching tsonga and brands battle it out and i was like getting mad about the late calls

sh@de
05-25-2010, 01:03 AM

Wow I never knew that!

How does it work exactly though? I don't see how waiting is going to make the image any more accurate...? Unless they actually spot the mark from that far away...?

cmb
05-25-2010, 02:04 AM
When I return to the states after playing in europe, and I play on a clay court, I always tend to make late calls on close balls, after I glance at the mark, Americans get so mad when I dont call it right away!..on clay there is a mark, if its out, its out. They always try to take the point because I did not call it.

Yes the Line judges can see the mark if its closer to them.