PDA

View Full Version : French Open Friday: We need to take down NBC

Brian Purdie
05-23-2010, 01:56 PM
French Open Friday is a personal holiday I created and you may partake in the festivities wherever you may find yourself. I've been celebrating in some capacity since 1991 when I watched Agassi's semi on NBC (not realizing it was taped of course). Grab yourself an Orangina, a few croissants, and watch yourself some tennis in the morning, then break out the gear and hit your local clay court that afternoon for a some fun afterward.

As many of you may remember, French Open Friday was a worse than usual abomination from NBC last year. We in the US were forced to watch a TAPED Soderling semi, rather than the thrilling Del Potro-Federer 5 set match. It even provoked a few news articles:

http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/blog/busted_racquet/post/As-usual-NBC-blacks-out-a-thrilling-French-Open?urn=ten,168381

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/131455

, but again reminded us how disappointing the self-proclaimed "Olympic network" really is.

Yes, we can always watch it live on internet streaming on a 5 inch screen with interrupted connection, but there has to be a better solution.

So we have Direct TV covering alot of matches this year. Will they be covering it, or does NBC have the monopoly on the tv rights to the semi's again? If so, we have about 10 days to convince these people to show us a live match.

Any suggestions? Facebook campaign a la Betty White? The A-Team?

Serendipitous
05-23-2010, 01:59 PM
http://threadbombing.com/data/media/45/hama0.jpg

Mortifier
05-23-2010, 02:34 PM
On a different but still related matter:

Eurosport went on to show the Kubot/Oanna-match today because the "large quantity of Polish fans". In the meantime Gulbis was getting ousted and Tsonga had to win a 5-set epic, while we were watching a total snooze-fest.

Say 'Hi' to the worst tv-coverage ever.

HunterST
05-23-2010, 02:35 PM
French Open Friday is a personal holiday I created and you may partake in the festivities wherever you may find yourself. I've been celebrating in some capacity since 1991 when I watched Agassi's semi on NBC (not realizing it was taped of course). Grab yourself an Orangina, a few croissants, and watch yourself some tennis in the morning, then break out the gear and hit your local clay court that afternoon for a some fun afterward.

As many of you may remember, French Open Friday was a worse than usual abomination from NBC last year. We in the US were forced to watch a TAPED Soderling semi, rather than the thrilling Del Potro-Federer 5 set match. It even provoked a few news articles:

http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/blog/busted_racquet/post/As-usual-NBC-blacks-out-a-thrilling-French-Open?urn=ten,168381

, but again reminded us how disappointing the self-proclaimed "Olympic network" really is.

Yes, we can always watch it live on internet streaming on a 5 inch screen with interrupted connection, but there has to be a better solution.

So we have Direct TV covering alot of matches this year. Will they be covering it, or does NBC have the monopoly on the tv rights to the semi's again? If so, we have about 10 days to convince these people to show us a live match.

TV coverage of tennis is atrocious. Today, I was forced to watch V williams who was up 6-3 3-1 or something like that while Tsonga and his opponent were in a 5 set thriller.

I need to get direct TV for the multiple match coverage, but I've heard some bad things about Direct TV.

vbranis
05-23-2010, 02:50 PM
And don't even get me started on the 3-hour blackout us West Coast viewers have to endure during Wimbledon...:-x

http://blog.rooftopcomedy.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/nbc_sucks1.jpg

jamesblakefan#1
05-23-2010, 02:53 PM
It seems it will be the same once again this year, as NBC has the Semi listed as "TAPED" already. Not to mention NBC fudging the Soderling-Nadal upset. NBC @ RG & Wimbledon = EPIC FAIL. If NBC's going to have p*** poor coverage year after year, they should just let ESPN and TC handle all coverage until the finals, instead of constantly screwing over the viewers.

Serendipitous
05-23-2010, 02:54 PM
NBC is a fresh green troll. :evil:

Fee
05-23-2010, 02:56 PM
Whatever you do, make sure you let the Tournament Directors of RG and W know, as well as all US Tennis media. NBC has screwed us all, but especially us West Coasters, out of Friday coverage at RG and W for many years.

A Facebook group is a good place to start for sure.

Brian Purdie
05-23-2010, 04:01 PM
it would need to be something to get the attention of the tennis sportwriting community (or even a commentator at TC or ESPN), which would then escalate the matter to the attention of the tournament directors or producers at NBC calling on them to respond to the outrage. All this, and it has to be done a day or 2 ahead of the planned coverage.

I think our only option may be facebook, but do we know any serious tennis bloggers? Wortheim? Or anyone willing to bring this up BEFORE it ruins the tournamant again this year

jamesblakefan#1
05-23-2010, 04:11 PM
it would need to be something to get the attention of the tennis sportwriting community (or even a commentator at TC or ESPN), which would then escalate the matter to the attention of the tournament directors or producers at NBC calling on them to respond to the outrage. All this, and it has to be done a day or 2 ahead of the planned coverage.

I think our only option may be facebook, but do we know any serious tennis bloggers? Wortheim? Or anyone willing to bring this up BEFORE it ruins the tournamant again this year

I can send an email to Wertheim. Also I can start a FB group if you feel that is necessary.

EDIT: Just sent email to Wertheim.

Hello Jon,

Looking at the TV Schedule for Roland Garros, it appears that once again NBC will be tape delaying certain telecasts, including one of the men's semifinals. American tennis viewers have to go through this every year, with the same excuses from NBC as to why (not preempting Today Show, soap operas, etc). My question is - why does NBC feel that it's beneficial to continue to ignore the concerns of its viewers (particularly those on the West Coast) year after year, and when when NBC's policy of tape delayed coverage change? Please help get the word out that American tennis fans are tired of NBC's shoddy coverage of two of the biggest events of the year, Roland Garros and Wimbledon.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/writers/jon_wertheim/archive/index.html

Mail away guys.

Brian Purdie
05-23-2010, 04:13 PM
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=128826030463982&v=photos#!/group.php?gid=128826030463982&v=wall

Tis done!
I created a facebook group. that was really easy:
NBC: Show the French Open and Wimbledon Live!

Brian Purdie
05-23-2010, 04:15 PM
and yes, i used your photo vibranis.

Serendipitous
05-23-2010, 04:15 PM
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=128826030463982&v=photos#!/group.php?gid=128826030463982&v=wall

Tis done!

I joined it.....:):)

himynameisNIKE
05-23-2010, 04:22 PM
I joined it.....:):)

philip? is that you ?

vbranis
05-23-2010, 04:23 PM
Joined... :)

Brian Purdie
05-23-2010, 04:24 PM
does the logo pic infringe on copyright? if it has a red line through it?

jamesblakefan#1
05-23-2010, 04:28 PM
Also please email NBC Sports directly to voice your opinion.

nbcsports@nbcuni.com

Whatever you do, make sure you let the Tournament Directors of RG and W know, as well as all US Tennis media.

Fee, sorry if this is much to ask, but you wouldn't happen to know how we can contact tourney officials via email, would you? RG website doesn't seem to have anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

Serendipitous
05-23-2010, 04:33 PM
philip? is that you ?

Yes....:cry:

jamesblakefan#1
05-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Email to NBC Sports:

Hello,

Looking at the TV Schedule for NBC's upcoming coverage of the French Open, it appears that once again NBC will be tape delaying certain telecasts, including one of the men's semifinals. American tennis viewers have to go through this every year, with the same excuses from NBC as to why. While we understand these concerns, we ask that NBC put the needs of American tennis viewers first and foremost for once, and reconsider the decision to tape delay important late round coverage. Just last year, American viewers missed out on several important live matches, such as Robin Soderling's historic upset of Rafael Nadal, the men's semifinal between Roger Federer and Juan Martin Del Potro, and the Wimbledon Semifinal between Andy Roddick and Andy Murray. This led to NBC receiving immense media scrutiny for their decision not to air these matches live. Here we are a year later, and it seems NBC may once again make the same mistake it did last year in not showing these important matches live.

We understand that these matches were shown on tape 2-3 hours after they occured live, but in the age of the internet and constantly updating news, it is simply irrational to ask American tennis fans to stick their heads in the sand, as it were, and wait to watch taped coverage instead of seeing these events live. That is why I am writing to as if NBC would please reconsider it's policy on showing these matches, and please try to show as much live tennis as possible. This is in the best interests of the American tennis viewers, who are so integral to the success of these broadcasts for NBC.

Thank You.

Serendipitous
05-23-2010, 04:41 PM
delete post

jcstennis
05-23-2010, 04:50 PM
i'm in.... and joined :)

Fee
05-23-2010, 05:55 PM
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=128826030463982&v=photos#!/group.php?gid=128826030463982&v=wall (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=128826030463982&v=photos#%21/group.php?gid=128826030463982&v=wall)

Tis done!

Now invite the pages for Roland Garros, Wimbledon and Tennis Channel to join your group, or join those pages and post the link on their walls. Send the link to Wertheim, Cronin, Bonnie Ford, Joel Drucker, and Doug Robson. They are all on Facebook and Twitter, so it shouldn't be too hard to get the info to them. See if you can get away with posting the link on the Federer and Nadal fan pages as well.

If you want to be really annoying, join all the USTA section pages and post the link there. Join all the WTT team pages and post the link there too.

joeri888
05-24-2010, 09:59 AM
I think this decision might have made a difference in this match..

OKUSA
05-24-2010, 10:15 AM
this is about as bad as my local cbs showing oprah over the US Open Finals last year, I wanted to cry

fedfan08
05-24-2010, 10:18 AM
And don't even get me started on the 3-hour blackout us West Coast viewers have to endure during Wimbledon...:-x

http://blog.rooftopcomedy.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/nbc_sucks1.jpgGuess they make a lot of $$$ off the today show.

fedfan08
05-24-2010, 10:19 AM
It seems it will be the same once again this year, as NBC has the Semi listed as "TAPED" already. Not to mention NBC fudging the Soderling-Nadal upset. NBC @ RG & Wimbledon = EPIC FAIL. If NBC's going to have p*** poor coverage year after year, they should just let ESPN and TC handle all coverage until the finals, instead of constantly screwing over the viewers.Worst is when they put LIVE EST on the screen. Thinking people won't notice the EST and assume it's live.

West Coast Ace
05-24-2010, 03:03 PM
I still think going after the advertisers is a better tact. A short email stating that their decision to give ad revenue to a company that is so out of touch as to not offer live TV coverage, reflects poorly on their company and products.

I bet NBC circulates some of the most hysterical emails - they don't care. And the tournaments are going to give the broadcast rights to the high bidder - NBC - they could show it 12 hours delayed and have Pee Wee Herman and Rosie O'Donnell doing commentary.

West Coast Ace
05-24-2010, 03:04 PM
Guess they make a lot of $$$ off the today show.Yes. Still a huge # of overweight housewives, shut-ins, and oldsters who have not discovered the internet - or the channels about '13' on their TV...

leonidas1982
05-24-2010, 03:11 PM
I boycott NBC on those days as well. I won't be dictated to when I can watch a match when it can be shown live. When they do a blackout, I as well do a blackout and shut off my TV.

leonidas1982
05-24-2010, 03:40 PM

Agreed my fellow Georgian.

JeMar
05-24-2010, 04:07 PM
E-mailed everyone posted.

Serendipitous
05-24-2010, 04:15 PM
E-mailed everyone posted.

Thanks you! :o:o

Brian Purdie
05-24-2010, 07:17 PM
24 hours = 48 people on the facebook group. Not horrible. Thanks to JamesBlakeFan#1 for the good email to NBC sports.

As for inviting Jon Wertheim and others to join the group...I can only invite my own friends to join the group. If someone can figure out how to link to another organization or invite another organization to join us, don't hestitate. I went ahead and gave everyone who joined admin privelidges.

my last resort idea: everyone sends a VHS tape of this years French Open Semifinal match to NBC Sports. Maybe send them some Duct Tape? or scotch tape?

jamesblakefan#1
05-24-2010, 07:35 PM
24 hours = 48 people on the facebook group. Not horrible. Thanks to JamesBlakeFan#1 for the good email to NBC sports.

As for inviting Jon Wertheim and others to join the group...I can only invite my own friends to join the group. If someone can figure out how to link to another organization or invite another organization to join us, don't hestitate. I went ahead and gave everyone who joined admin privelidges.

my last resort idea: everyone sends a VHS tape of this years French Open Semifinal match to NBC Sports. Maybe send them some Duct Tape? or scotch tape?

I emailed Wertheim and posted a link on his FB fan page as well.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Jon-Wertheim/118439468180926?ref=ts

Maybe you could do the same, but I don't want it to get to the point of spamming him.

But I will repost the link for the FB group on this page in case anyone missed it...

PLEASE JOIN! :)
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=128826030463982&ref=ts

Serendipitous
05-24-2010, 07:39 PM
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There's the picture I posted!!! :D:D:D

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/2961/wincs.jpg

jamesblakefan#1
05-24-2010, 07:57 PM
Email Dick Enberg, Chairman of NBC.

DICK EBERSOL, CHAIRMAN OF NBC SPORTS: Dick.Ebersol@nbcuni.com

Email NBC Sports:
NBC SPORTS: nbcsportshelp@nbcuni.com

Overheadsmash
05-24-2010, 08:39 PM
I wish it could just all be on tennis channel like the other events.

I remember once, during the end of the last round of the masters, and with an exciting finish, the weather man breaks in with his new doppler radar thingy to tell us there are going to be sever thunderstorms (that's right - not tornadoes, no hurricanes - SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS) in a town in the viewing area that was about 50 miles south of me. I don't mean puts a little graphic on the screen either. I'm talking cutting away from the masters and going to his weather desk to see him doing the weather.

This is no joke - he spent like half an hour tracking this thunderstorm at 5:00 in the afternoon during the last round of the masters. He was feeling all important with his new instant weather tracker system like he was doing some big public service when in reality he was just looking for an excuse to play with his new toy. I was so mad I called the station and complained and they said I was about the 50th person to read them the riot act. This was on the local CBS affiliate. Tennis Channel would never pull a stunt like that and that's why I hate NBC for tape-delaying their part of the open. They will just dump all over tennis. Don't carry it if you are going to tape delay it.

heycal
05-24-2010, 09:04 PM
^^^^

While live tennis is always preferable, as long as they show the key matches at some point is the important thing, regardess of whether on tape. (I know on some occasions they only show one of the semi's, and that's an outrage, but a slightly different issue).

I have taped or dvr'd several grand slam finals and semi finals over the last few years to watch at a more convenient time for me. Then I avoided as much media and internet as I could until I'd had a chance to watch the match. This has worked suprisingly well, though it's always a bit nerve wracking hoping someone doesn't call you up and say "hey, how about that Federer upset?" I believe I've nearly always managed to not hear the results before I had a chance to watch. Hell, I have even lived on the edge a few times and visited Talk Tennis odd and ends or rants and raves before having a chance to watch the match and still avoided hearing the results.

kanamit
05-24-2010, 09:53 PM
We're so fortunate that NBC is even bothering to show us the matches! They could have bought the rights then blacked out coverage altogether. Thank god for NBC.

jamesblakefan#1
05-24-2010, 09:58 PM
^^^^

While live tennis is always preferable, as long as they show the key matches at some point is the important thing, regardess of whether on tape. (I know on some occasions they only show one of the semi's, and that's an outrage, but a slightly different issue).

I have taped or dvr'd several grand slam finals and semi finals over the last few years to watch at a more convenient time for me. Then I avoided as much media and internet as I could until I'd had a chance to watch the match. This has worked suprisingly well, though it's always a bit nerve wracking hoping someone doesn't call you up and say "hey, how about that Federer upset?" I believe I've nearly always managed to not hear the results before I had a chance to watch. Hell, I have even lived on the edge a few times and visited Talk Tennis odd and ends or rants and raves before having a chance to watch the match and still avoided hearing the results.

Viewers shouldn't be forced to bury their heads in the sand by NBC. Last year showing taped quarters and semis while live tennis was going on? Not showing the Roddick/Murray semi until it was an hour in? Then placing an embargo on ESPN not allowing them to show the matches either? It's ridiculous and enough is enough. And that's just on the East, West Coast viewers have it 3 times worse.

Also is there any other major sporting event like this where major coverage is shown on tape delay and nothing is done about it? NBC has to listen to the concerns of tennis fans and show matches live, or else give up rights entirely. I'm 100% certain if ESPN/ABC had rights, they would not show matches taped.

heycal
05-25-2010, 07:21 AM
Also is there any other major sporting event like this where major coverage is shown on tape delay

Tennis is not a major sporting event.

NBC has obviously made a business decision they think is best about what to show and when. Just because we don't like it doesn't mean it's not best for the company and their shareholders. Hell, I wish NBC would just show only my favorite movies and shows at the hour of my choosing, but I don't own the company.

I'm 100% certain if ESPN/ABC had rights, they would not show matches taped.

No you're not.

Pwned
05-25-2010, 07:23 AM
ESPNs coverage of the AO is awesome.

jamesblakefan#1
05-25-2010, 07:43 AM
Tennis is not a major sporting event.

Wimbledon and French Open are both major sporting events around the world. Even though Soccer isn't huge in the US, major events are still given the courtesy and shown live. Same with Golf. But not for tennis. It's a disappointment and a shame.

No you're not.

Why wouldn't they? They regularly show the British Open every year live, no problem. The difference between Golf and Tennis isn't that big here in the US. If ESPN/ABC had all coverage of RG/Wimbledon, it is pretty likely they wouldn't make the boneheaded decision NBC has of showing matches taped.

And it's not just tennis NBC shows taped. NBC shows the Olympics taped for no good reason as well. That's not a major sporting event?

You may be ok with NBC's coverage, but several others aren't, and that especially showed last year. Now we are trying to do something about it. It may be futile, but it's better than sitting back and doing nothing. So please take your negative attitude away from this thread.

heycal
05-25-2010, 08:01 AM
Wimbledon and French Open are both major sporting events around the world.

No idea how popular they are "around the world", but NBC is an American company programming television in America. They also don't show much men's field hockey, which I understand is big in India...

Why wouldn't they? They regularly show the British Open every year live, no problem. The difference between Golf and Tennis isn't that big here in the US. If ESPN/ABC had all coverage of RG/Wimbledon, it is pretty likely they wouldn't make the boneheaded decision NBC has of showing matches taped.

I assume ABC operates much the way NBC does, and would probably make similar business decisions in similar situations. So unless you have compelling evidence of a entirely different business model and mindset in play at ABC, the assumption should be that they would act the same as NBC.

And it's not just tennis NBC shows taped. NBC shows the Olympics taped for no good reason as well. That's not a major sporting event?

What makes you think they have "no good reason"? You think they just throw a dart at a dartboard when deciding when to show what?

You may be ok with NBC's coverage, but several others aren't, and that especially showed last year.

You seem to think everyone in the world is a tennis fan, and NBC should cater to their whims.

Why not go over to "Talk Soap Opera" and see how they are complaining about all this stupid tennis interfering with their stories?

jamesblakefan#1
05-25-2010, 08:11 AM
Whatever. This is a thread for people who don't like the way NBC is doing things. Obviously on a tennis board, a lot of people have been upset for years with the way NBC broadcasts. You are the minority as far as I'm concerned in what tennis fans feel about this issue. Like I said, we have a group and are trying to bring some sort of change, rather than just sitting and doing nothing. You coming in here and being a contrarian isn't helping matters. I'm not going to get into a R&R style p!ssing match with you over it either. (I know you're upset that's gone, but get over it). Several articles have been written about NBC's coverage of not just this and it's gotten to the point where enough is enough. If you're fine with it, that's ok. But obviously several others aren't and want something to change. That's what this thread is hopefully the start of. Something positive, not the usual negativity that you know and love.

Serendipitous
05-25-2010, 08:12 AM
Whatever. This is a thread for people who don't like the way NBC is doing things. Obviously on a tennis board, a lot of people have been upset for years with the way NBC broadcasts. You are the minority as far as I'm concerned in what tennis fans feel about this issue. Like I said, we have a group and are trying to bring some sort of change, rather than just sitting and doing nothing. You coming in here and being a contrarian isn't helping matters. I'm not going to get into a R&R style p!ssing match with you over it either. (I know you're upset that's gone, but get over it). Several articles have been written about NBC's coverage of not just this and it's gotten to the point where enough is enough. If you're fine with it, that's ok. But obviously several others aren't and want something to change. That's what this thread is hopefully the start of. Something positive, not the usual negativity that you know and love.

I fully support this poster. :)

heycal
05-25-2010, 08:16 AM
Several articles have been written about NBC's coverage of not just this and it's gotten to the point where enough is enough. If you're fine with it, that's ok.

Who said I was fine with NBC's coverage? I'm a tennis fan. I wish they showed much more tennis, had more camera angles, and so on an so forth. So I really have no problem with your campaign to get them to do things your way. What I do have a problem with is you assuming your interests are more important than non-tennis fans, or that NBC is necesarily doing something stupid just because you don't like it.

vbranis
05-25-2010, 08:28 AM
My biggest problem with NBC is the situation on the West Coast during Wimbledon. You watch ESPN live until 9AM and then you are blacked out completely (no tennis anywhere, live or taped) until noon when NBC takes over showing what was 3 hours earlier. Especially convenient when 9.00 happens to occur in the middle of a 5th set or tiebreak. This is absolutely ridiculous.

jackson vile
05-25-2010, 10:18 AM
very cool indeed

fedfan08
05-25-2010, 01:34 PM
All of the national networks would do what NBC does during the week - they would never interrupt their morning shows to show a sporting event. With golf the majors are on ESPN until the weekend. You'll never get NBC to ditch the Today Show in favor of tennis. So the best solution is for NBC to only show tennis on the weekends, and then make sure to show it live in all time zones. Maybe, just maybe NBC would forgo the Today Show on Saturday morning, but they'll never do so during the week. Let ESPN and TTC keep the weekday coverage.

BigServer1
05-25-2010, 01:49 PM
I joined, and I'll do whatever I can to help out. I sent emails to all the aforementioned addresses as well.

I doubt it will help this year, but maybe sometime...Who knows?

jamesblakefan#1
05-28-2010, 08:26 PM
BUMP.

We may need to add ESPN after today's debacle. Taped Serena, Nadal, Nadal interview, Federer, then Venus over 4 live matches (Cilic 5 setter, Kirilenko/Kuzzy tight 3 setter, Rezai/Petrova tight 3 setter, Dementieva/Wozniak tight 3 setter). It's not like these are no name players either. But ESPN sells to a specific audience, I guess we should expect it by this point, turning their back to hardcore tennis fans to bring in casual fans/viewers.

vbranis
05-28-2010, 08:42 PM
BUMP.

We may need to add ESPN after today's debacle. Taped Serena, Nadal, Nadal interview, Federer, then Venus over 4 live matches (Cilic 5 setter, Kirilenko/Kuzzy tight 3 setter, Rezai/Petrova tight 3 setter, Dementieva/Wozniak tight 3 setter). It's not like these are no name players either. But ESPN sells to a specific audience, I guess we should expect it by this point, turning their back to hardcore tennis fans to bring in casual fans/viewers.

I completely agree, today was completely unacceptable. I'm willing to accept ESPN's coverage of blowouts over 5-setters as long as they are showing LIVE tennis. But when they show taped coverage of blowouts over LIVE, interesting tennis featuring a defending champion (Kuzy), among others, now THAT is utterly ridiculous.

Leelord337
05-28-2010, 08:53 PM
this video of djokovic and troicki was soooo gay!
http://tennisnow.com/Tennis-Now-TV/Funny-Tennis-Videos/May-2010/Victor-Troiki---Novak-Djokovic--Rafael-Nadal---Sha.aspx

fedfan08
05-29-2010, 04:50 AM
BUMP.

We may need to add ESPN after today's debacle. Taped Serena, Nadal, Nadal interview, Federer, then Venus over 4 live matches (Cilic 5 setter, Kirilenko/Kuzzy tight 3 setter, Rezai/Petrova tight 3 setter, Dementieva/Wozniak tight 3 setter). It's not like these are no name players either. But ESPN sells to a specific audience, I guess we should expect it by this point, turning their back to hardcore tennis fans to bring in casual fans/viewers.perhaps we need to lobby the slams instead to get them to change their contracts. Not sure when NBC's expires but there has to be a way to get them to give up coverage until the final weekend. I think we're stuck with ESPN though. And TTC doesn't have enough $$$ or viewership to take it away from ESPN.

aprilfool
05-29-2010, 04:57 AM
10chars...

fedfan08
05-29-2010, 07:54 AM
So at quarter to TTC and DirecTV stopped showing live tennis. Of course TTC doesn't tell you they have to stop. Wouldn't be surprised if NBC shows Nadal from the beginning rather than live in the 2nd set.

fedfan08
05-29-2010, 08:06 AM
NBC showing live tennis. :shock:

jesenk
05-29-2010, 08:07 AM
So TTC were prevented from showing the first set of Nadal - Hewitt, then NBC just pick it up live anyway. Oh well, at least we get a few different commercials.

OKUSA
05-29-2010, 08:09 AM
eurosport stream time for me, at AO this year DirecTV showed matches on NBC this is disappointing as I don't get NBC

myservenow
05-29-2010, 08:13 AM
So, let me get this straight. You're telling me on the Left Coast that you don't get to watch the final of Wimbledon live? You have to watch a tape delayed broadcast? Is this true?

Holy cow! I do not think I could bare the thought that the final of Wimbledon was being played and I was not watching it as it happened. I would be sick.

vbranis
05-29-2010, 08:34 AM
So, let me get this straight. You're telling me on the Left Coast that you don't get to watch the final of Wimbledon live? You have to watch a tape delayed broadcast? Is this true?

Holy cow! I do not think I could bare the thought that the final of Wimbledon was being played and I was not watching it as it happened. I would be sick.

No, thankfully, the final is shown live. The problem is the entire 2nd week, where from Monday to Friday, the Today Show from 9AM to noon prevents live tennis from being shown. So we are left watching at noon what actually happened at 9 with the annoying "LIVE EST" script on the screen.

West Coast Ace
05-29-2010, 10:54 AM

Holy cow! I do not think I could bare the thought that the final of Wimbledon was being played and I was not watching it as it happened. I would be sick.Semifinals on Fridays are jacked up by NBC. Thus the Friday reference in the title.

fedfan08
05-29-2010, 11:10 AM
If you're on the west coast are you able to get an east coast feed of NBC?

fedfan08
05-29-2010, 11:13 AM
NBC said they're going to show Venus and Federer tomorrow. Does that mean we'll get venus on tape while Federer is possibly playing live or will they show Federer if he's live and then switch over to Venus on tape? Shame really because Tsonga and Murray could be playing during NBC's window but yet we'll probably see a Venus beatdown of Petrova on tape.

mtommer
05-29-2010, 11:55 AM
Here's a solution.

All tennis events should provide free streaming HD video of all courts and for all matches. Don't hire commentators outside of the big arenas (let the tennis speak for itself). This way, networks can hook into the streams they want (all the networks - so end the exclusivity contracts) and viewers can hook into the streams they want. That's why events have sponsors in the first place, to help pay for this stuff.

leonidas1982
05-30-2010, 06:22 AM
Our embargo of NBC must be carried out today. Even if they show live matches of Youzhny v Tsonga and Murray v Berdych, let us show them how irrelevant and useless they are to us.

Tyrus
05-30-2010, 01:14 PM
We have the internet now, within a google search you can get live matches and usually the whole variety, granted there's no guarantee the stream will stay on the whole match. Remember what happened to music? You can't keep people from what they want, we have a choice now.

I just don't think NBC will ever get the point, after Conan/Leno and last year's media upheaval. Half of America is already telling them to stop shooting themselves in the foot. But they still aren't listening.

heycal
05-31-2010, 08:32 PM
NBC said they're going to show Venus and Federer tomorrow. Does that mean we'll get venus on tape while Federer is possibly playing live or will they show Federer if he's live and then switch over to Venus on tape? Shame really because Tsonga and Murray could be playing during NBC's window but yet we'll probably see a Venus beatdown of Petrova on tape.

Venus sure spanked Petrova, huh?

I'm stil not sure what the fuss is about here, other than the admittedly awful "show one semi and not the other" Friday problem. Most people want the things they enjoy watching shown at a convenient hour, and not, say, at 5am.

JustBob
05-31-2010, 08:51 PM
The FO has the best coverage of any slams in Canada simply because TSN uses the australian feed (Super Signal I believe). No idiotic interviews, no frigging human interest stories, no "back to the studio with idiot Brad Gilbert", no gossip, no nonsense, simply two guys describing/analyzing play. And lo and behold, they sometimes go 2-3 points without saying a word. How terribly odd. :)

West Coast Ace
05-31-2010, 08:54 PM
The FO has the best coverage of any slams in Canada simply because TSN uses the australian feed (Super Signal I believe). I know this wouldn't work but.... if I came up to Toronto and bought a receiver and knew where to point a satellite dish...

I'm sure NBC's thugs would be kicking down my door...

heycal
06-01-2010, 07:06 AM
I know this wouldn't work but.... if I came up to Toronto and bought a receiver and knew where to point a satellite dish...

Re your sig: I was in Scotland this winter, and a guy there told me that the when Murray loses, the British press will say something like "Scotsman Murray defeated", but when he wins they will say something like "Britain's Murray wins".

CDNguy87
06-01-2010, 09:33 AM
The FO has the best coverage of any slams in Canada simply because TSN uses the australian feed (Super Signal I believe). No idiotic interviews, no frigging human interest stories, no "back to the studio with idiot Brad Gilbert", no gossip, no nonsense, simply two guys describing/analyzing play. And lo and behold, they sometimes go 2-3 points without saying a word. How terribly odd. :)

So true. Unlike Americans, the Aussies know to shut up most of the time and just let the tennis tell the story. American broadcasters always have to turn sporting events into some sort of soap opera (their non-stop fawning over Melanie Oudin at the USO was nauseating to watch) and their announcers seem to feel every second must be filled with innane chatter.

JustBob, do you know if TSN has always used this Aussie feed for the French Open and if they might continue with it for Wimbledon (this would make me so happy)? I was out of country last year for the FO but I can't remember this Aussie feed for any years prior. I'm hoping TSN got so many complaints regarding the terrible American coverage in years past that they'll use this Aussie feed from now on for all Grand Slams.

Moose Malloy
06-02-2010, 04:15 PM
I was pretty surprised to see that TC will be showing the 1st mens semi live on Friday(7 am est/4 am pst) Depending on the length NBC may be live for the 2nd semi(or just a little tape delayed) for the east coast at least(11 am)

In the 20+ years I've been following tennis, only one other time has a FO mens semi been shown live in the US(2005 Fed-Nadal)

heycal
06-02-2010, 10:09 PM
What's up with EPSN not showing Serena-Stosur? I happened to hear the result earlier today, but if I hadn't, I sure would have been furious to turn on my DVR'd tape of today's coverage and have them start off the broadcast by telling us Serena lost. Why would they have not shown at least some of that match, and without telling us the result? I didn't need to see Nadal beat up on some slow footed kid instead.

jamesblakefan#1
06-02-2010, 11:31 PM
ESPN shows enough WS, they even went out of their way to show WS doubles over 5th set Djokovic/Melzer.

The SS match was on TC live this morning. Same as it's been all tourney, TC has morning coverage until noon ET. Don't see why that was such a surprise for you.

Though tomorrow ESPN does have exclusive women's SF coverage from 8am ET, though they may give it up due to Serena's loss today.

Fee
06-03-2010, 06:55 PM
eurosport stream time for me, at AO this year DirecTV showed matches on NBC this is disappointing as I don't get NBC

How does that work? NBC is a free to air network, I thought all cable and satellite systems were requred to carry the 4 networks.

OKUSA
06-03-2010, 07:03 PM
local channels aren't available on my DirecTV for some reason and I can't get the channels over the air since I live too far away

Atherton2003
06-03-2010, 07:04 PM
NBC only is going to show 3 hours of a mens semi-final match....not nearly enough time to cover the whole match....and only shows 1 of the 2 matches - ridiculous.

Fee
06-03-2010, 07:08 PM
local channels aren't available on my DirecTV for some reason and I can't get the channels over the air since I live too far away

That seems really odd. Do they want to try to get you to pay more for them for some reason?

jamesblakefan#1
06-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Bump for the WC folks. You guys always get screwed over. NBC did show live on the East, but decides the Today show is more important on the WC. Still mystifies me.

heycal
06-06-2010, 09:17 AM
The SS match was on TC live this morning. Same as it's been all tourney, TC has morning coverage until noon ET. Don't see why that was such a surprise for you.

It was a surprise to me because I don't have TC and don't know what the hell they show or when, and it was the first time this tournament I can remember ESPN not showing an obvious match to show.

jamesblakefan#1
06-26-2010, 05:11 AM
Once again time for NBC's awful Wimbledon coverage...this week is going to suck.

Fee
06-27-2010, 10:14 AM
Once again time for NBC's awful Wimbledon coverage...this week is going to suck.

No kidding. I don't think I will even bother with the TV.

jamesblakefan#1
06-30-2010, 09:49 PM
Does anybody know, will ESPN be showing both Men's/Women's SF live this year, or will NBC embargo them yet again like they did last year? ESPN has coverage 7am-12 noon on the east, then NBC takes over. But will NBC let ESPN show both matches live, or force them to block one of them?

heycal
07-05-2010, 12:10 AM
Does anybody know, will ESPN be showing both Men's/Women's SF live this year, or will NBC embargo them yet again like they did last year? ESPN has coverage 7am-12 noon on the east, then NBC takes over. But will NBC let ESPN show both matches live, or force them to block one of them?

I think they "forced" them to block one of them. Which is quite understandable, given that they paid to broadcast it, and was of no real inconvenience to viewers. From what I saw, both/all matches were shown on one or the other channel, so I had no real complaints.

jamesblakefan#1
07-05-2010, 09:32 AM
I think they "forced" them to block one of them. Which is quite understandable, given that they paid to broadcast it, and was of no real inconvenience to viewers. From what I saw, both/all matches were shown on one or the other channel, so I had no real complaints.

Yeah, watching one semi live then having to wait 2-5 hrs to watch the other semi taped, all while keeping yourself isolated from the internet and other spoilers, is of no real inconvenience at all. :?

heycal
07-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Yeah, watching one semi live then having to wait 2-5 hrs to watch the other semi taped, all while keeping yourself isolated from the internet and other spoilers, is of no real inconvenience at all. :?

No, not for 98 percent of the world. Most people don't park themselves in front of a TV for 8 hours straight anyway. Also, I've watched Wimbledon and other GS finals on DVR or VCR as much as 15 hours after they took place without encountering any spoilers, but just using a modicum of good sense and avoiding hanging out in "Match results" here at TT, etc.

So if I can find a way to avoid hearing the results of a Federer-Nadal Wimbledon final for 12 hours, you should be able to avoid hearing any spoilers for 2 hours about a less important match between two obscure players with funny names if you live in, say, America. Zonverarva defeats Pironka or whatever in the semis of a tennis tournament? Better bury your head in the sand, because people are gonna be screaming about the results of that one on street corners from Boston to Boise!

Also, you speak as if someone is to "blame" for making you wait a few hours to watch these matches. For some reason, you feel the networks should ignore any and all economic realities and their own business interests and just show the exact matches JBF wants to see, exactly when he wants to see them. It's an understandable trait in a 5 year old, but aren't you a bit older and more sophisticated than that?

jamesblakefan#1
07-05-2010, 07:47 PM
I expect to see sporting events live, that's not too much to ask. If NBC can't show them live, let another network take over that will show them live. NBC showed the entire second week live, but for some reason can't show the semis live? Them showing live coverage Sat, Mon-Wed from 10 AM ET proves that they can show live tennis if they want to. But once it gets to the semis, two of the most important matches of the tourney, they decide to go taped. Now what business sense does that make, heycal? Oh wait, this is the same guy that thinks Leno pulling in his lowest ratings since '92 is a great thing. :rolleyes:

As a consumer, I have right to voice my opinion. So do you, but there's no need for you to say my opinion isn't valid, or that it's not one that isn't possible. It's not like I'm asking them to show them whenever I wake up, or to pause whenever I have to go take a p!ss. That would be irrational. But something as simple as asking a network to show coverage live, instead of putting some of their consumers at a disadvantage, isn't irrational at all. And this is a tennis board, most of the people here are such supporters of the sport that they feel the exact same way I do; If NBC wants to cater to the soccer moms and grannies by showing 5 hours of the Today show instead of live tennis, that's fine, but as a TENNIS fan on a TENNIS forum, I have right to voice my displeasure.

heycal
07-06-2010, 06:21 AM
I expect to see sporting events live, that's not too much to ask.

Actually, it may be. Many tournaments and matches aren't even broadcast at all. Do you think TV networks have some sort of obligation to you to show tennis matches just because you "expect" them to?

I expect to see sporting events live, that's not too much to ask. If NBC can't show them live, let another network take over that will show them live. NBC showed the entire second week live, but for some reason can't show the semis live? Them showing live coverage Sat, Mon-Wed from 10 AM ET proves that they can show live tennis if they want to. But once it gets to the semis, two of the most important matches of the tourney, they decide to go taped. Now what business sense does that make, heycal? .

Are you suggesting NBC is purposely making bad business decisions? Why would they do that? Wouldn't their shareholders be upset? Why do you, young Jamesblake fan of Talk Tennis, assume you know what's in NBC's business interest more than experienced television executives who will get fired if they make too many wrong decisions?

And this is a tennis board, most of the people here are such supporters of the sport that they feel the exact same way I do; If NBC wants to cater to the soccer moms and grannies by showing 5 hours of the Today show instead of live tennis, that's fine, but as a TENNIS fan on a TENNIS forum, I have right to voice my displeasure.

Sure you have a right to voice your displeasure. Are you suggesting I don't have a right to express mine?

I prefer tennis more than "The Guiding Light" too, but I don't spend too much time sitting around whining about how the networks show soap operas all day instead of tennis matches. I live in the real world, and long ago realized it does not revolve around me and my interests.

jamesblakefan#1
07-06-2010, 01:27 PM
New York Times piece about NBC's taped coverage yet again.

http://straightsets.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/02/in-u-s-wimbledon-works-on-nbc-time/

No real inconvenience though...nice to know heycal speaks for all tennis fans now, and anyone who disagrees that it's 'no real inconvenience' is just a couch potato who thinks the world revolves around them. Irony? :?

West Coast Ace
07-06-2010, 04:54 PM
No real inconvenience though...nice to know heycal speaks for all tennis fans now, and anyone who disagrees that it's 'no real inconvenience' is just a couch potato who thinks the world revolves around them. Irony? :?You're almost troll feeding - I'm pretty sure heycal was just baiting you. Anyone dumb enough to come to this board and not think real tennis fans would be unhappy with tape delayed coverage is a clown.

Sure, NBC doesn't 'owe' us anything. But they could certainly step aside and let Tennis Channel or ESPN show the men's semis if they won't/can't show them live. I am happy for the overweight housewives who got their Al Roker and Ellen fixes; I'm sure they would have been traumatized watching world class athletes for one day...

I still think our best option is to write to the companies that choose to advertise on NBC during their tennis coverage. They are the ones who directly pay NBC. Unfortunately we'd probably need 10x (maybe more) the # of US posters on this board to all send a 'I have a lower opinion of your product based on your decision to advertise on a network that delays coverage of a major event in the 21st century' email.

heycal
07-06-2010, 07:32 PM
You're almost troll feeding - I'm pretty sure heycal was just baiting you. Anyone dumb enough to come to this board and not think real tennis fans would be unhappy with tape delayed coverage is a clown.

I've stated several times in several different ways that I much prefer tennis to "Ellen" and the like. There's a reason I hang out here instead of in the "Talk General Hospital" forum. I'd be happy if NBC showed live tennis 24/7, and never showed even five minutes of golf or whatever other crap they show.

But alas, I live in the real world, and don't see the point of sitting around with a bunch of other tennis fans moaning about how the world doesn't cater to our particular desires. Unfortunately, tennis ain't that popular, and NBC is presumably making the best decisions for their company -- not for JBF. One can hardly blame them for that.

Sure, NBC doesn't 'owe' us anything. But they could certainly step aside and let Tennis Channel or ESPN show the men's semis if they won't/can't show them live.

I guess they COULD step aside, but why would they if unless they think it's in their best interests? If ESPN and the Tennis Channel are so desperate to show these events live because evil NBC won't, tell those networks to put up the bucks to buy the rights to do so. Also, if Wimbledon and the other slams decide NBC offers them a better deal and assigns the rights to them -- even with full knowledge that NBC might not show every match live -- shouldn't your real beef be with the greedy tournaments themselves?

You boys don't seem to understand the TV business, or even basic capitalism.