PDA

View Full Version : Women's Tennis vs. Other Women's sports

pgreg
05-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Why is women's tennis so much more entertaining than any other women's sports. I can watch an entire women's tennis match, but I could never watch more than 10 seconds of a WNBA game.

jones101
05-23-2010, 02:11 PM
Womens track & field, gymnastics, swimming etc are all great to watch IMO

NLBwell
05-23-2010, 07:24 PM
In basketball, guys playing pickup games in the park are better than a lot of WNBA players (at least in good basketball areas like DC). In tennis, since skill is a far greater portion of the game, the women pros are light-years ahead of guys at the park. Jones is right, there are other women's sports that are entertaining, also.

nereis
05-23-2010, 07:42 PM
I only watch womens' synchronised swimming, figure skating, gymnastics and/or diving. Namely for the lack of clothes and artistic quality. Raw athletics will never be a draw as much as it will be for the men's side.

Raindogs
05-23-2010, 07:42 PM
I can't for the life of me imagine what that difference might be.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_S5P5zOlWrS4/SuEYqJBZclI/AAAAAAAABQc/IuW6HZggt4g/s320/ashley.jpg

OddJack
05-23-2010, 07:59 PM
^^^^ most likely pgreg would wonder what racket she is using.

OKUSA
05-23-2010, 08:01 PM
looks like a babolat pure drive to me

Raindogs
05-23-2010, 08:06 PM
TW discussion threads are breaking out even as we speak on the subjects of what grip she is using and if her string job knots are tied properly. :)

Juges8932
05-23-2010, 08:11 PM
I am in [kind of] the same boat as you. I love women's tennis and always have. However, I also like women's volleyball and Olympic sports (swimming, gymnastics, track/field). I am as big of a basketball fan as you will find, but I don't really enjoy WNBA. I used to watch it simply because it was something to hold me over until the NBA came back on, haha. In the past 5-7 years (I'm 21), I've watched maybe, MAYBE 5 WNBA games lol; last one being Candace Parker's first game out of curiosity. With the WNBA, the level of talent is just such a joke and it's APPARENT. High-school men's basketball teams would work WNBA teams. Their athleticism is just so unimpressive in comparison to the men that it really makes it unbearable. Their skills are also sub-par. With women's tennis, this is also true, but I just don't think it's as blatantly obvious because of the nature of the game. The court is smaller and therefore the room for movement is smaller, so it is a lot harder (IMO) to see the difference between the men/women, because the may run/sprint for 10 ft, as opposed to 80 ft on a basketball court. Also, tennis is a ground game, so players don't jump (often). On a fast-break in basketball, you see LeBron James just explode down the court and then effortly glide his head up to rim level and finish with such power, while on the flip-side, you see Diana Taurasi slowly sprint up the court, get 12 inches off the ground and lay it in. There just aren't jaw-dropping moments. With women's tennis, because it isn't based on as much athleticism, I find a lot more impressive, wow moments, when watching women's matches. Perhaps not as much as men's, but still a lot more than in a WNBA game. Women and men are different, plain and simple. Men are just far superior physically. It's no insult, just fact. This just becomes apparent in sports where explosive athleticism (Football, basketball, soccer) is a big part of the game (sprinting, vertical leap, quickness) on a much bigger field of play (soccer/football/bball fields/courts being 2,3,etc times as big as a tennis/volleyball/swimming court/pool). In regards to figure skating and gymnastics, I think women are more enjoyable to watch than men because their bodies are physical built for it. Those are elegant sports and with their smaller frames and feminine features, they are better suited to make it look good. Not to mention, they are more pleasing to look at (for me), haha. But even then, men perform more impressive feats, just it doesn't take away the quality/appreciation for what the women do in their own respects.