PDA

View Full Version : How do you un-see something?

ubermeyer
05-23-2010, 08:36 PM
This is a serious question. So I was on Wikipedia browsing, and for some reason I saw a reference to the page "Dog meat." Don't ask me why, but I clicked on it. I saw a picture of dog parts in a bowl half-cooked and I immediately threw up. Literally. Now I feel sick, physically and mentally, and I can't get that image out of my mind. I can't even look at my dog without feeling a new wave of horror wash over me. Now, I am beginning to understand why people are vegetarians. Am I mentally unstable or something, because I feel really sick and it won't go away... help me?

Juges8932
05-23-2010, 08:45 PM
No, you are just shocked, lol. It just depends, from person-to-person. You will likely forget about it when you are engrossed in something, like the French Open, school, work, etc. You'll think about it randomly, most-likely while falling asleep, in the shower, etc. Over time, you will have those moments less and less, fewer and far between. Then, at some point, you will be over it, and even if somebody brings up something that resurfaces this to your mind, you won't be so disgusted, even though it is extremely repulsive. In other words, there really isn't anything you can do besides give it time. And no, you aren't mentally sick, haha. You are probably just ignorant to how disgusting people really are, or simply didn't think dog-meat was in-fact, dog-meat. I feel your pain though. For me, I love animals and I hate seeing **** like this, or other disgusting things done to animals.

Puredrivetennis
05-23-2010, 08:53 PM
thats messed up... just chill out, relax, go do something to get your balance back into line

kimbahpnam
05-23-2010, 09:32 PM
seems like you have a weak stomach. probably doesn't help if you have a close relationship with a dog

SoBad
05-23-2010, 09:46 PM
Why did you click the "dog meat" link? You don't have to answer that here, but ask yourself that question and be honest with yourself. You are learning things about yourself that you weren't aware of before, that's whay I think is happening here.

quest01
05-23-2010, 11:55 PM
All I can say is that you have a very weak stomach, I don't know why you would throw up over a picture. That's good you don't fight in combat, you wouldn't last very long. lol

David_Is_Right
05-24-2010, 12:17 AM
You need to desensitise yourself to nasty stuff by looking at some of the gore-galleries on the web.

Feña14
05-24-2010, 12:27 AM
It's probably all in your mind. I went onto the page and the pictures didn't seem too bad to me, you couldn't really make out what meat it was.

kimbahpnam
05-24-2010, 12:34 AM
I like how this has encouraged us all to look up 'dog meat' on wikipedia. lol

now the mean thing to do would be to link the picture here for the OP :twisted:

Dreamcastin
05-24-2010, 12:40 AM
I know exactly how you feel. im not describing what it is i saw, it was a video and it had me messed up for a few days if not longer.

Hot Sauce
05-24-2010, 01:01 AM
http://www.ladda-ner-musik.net/images/what-has-been-seen.jpg

cucio
05-24-2010, 02:56 AM
Sometimes you don't want to unsee:

http://www.worlds-smartest-man.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/hitit.jpg

ubermeyer
05-24-2010, 12:01 PM
well, i guess you people were right... i am finding it easier to suppress my revulsion now.

jswinf
05-24-2010, 12:21 PM
Why did you click the "dog meat" link? You don't have to answer that here, but ask yourself that question and be honest with yourself. You are learning things about yourself that you weren't aware of before, that's whay I think is happening here.

Probably curious what kind of meat to feed his dog. I'd have to say that when I hear the classic threat "you're gonna be dog meat!" (not that this is directed my way, at least not often) I think of the poor threatenee being reduced to something only fit to give to a dog, not being converted into actual meat from a dog.

HellBunni
05-24-2010, 12:39 PM
You are probably just ignorant to how disgusting people really are, or simply didn't think dog-meat was in-fact, dog-meat. I feel your pain though. For me, I love animals and I hate seeing **** like this, or other disgusting things done to animals.

but there really is nothing disgusting about eating animal meat. it's natural. it's only that we have developed a close relationship with some animal and can't imagine them as food. But the same can be said for someone that had a cow as a pet.

Fandango
05-24-2010, 12:51 PM
dont worry about it. it will be ok after awhile.

SoBad
05-24-2010, 07:00 PM
Probably curious what kind of meat to feed his dog. I'd have to say that when I hear the classic threat "you're gonna be dog meat!" (not that this is directed my way, at least not often) I think of the poor threatenee being reduced to something only fit to give to a dog, not being converted into actual meat from a dog.

Thanks for that – I suppose you might be right, although the lacking response from OP is a bit conspicuous. I do agree that “dog meat” is meant as meat for the dog, rather than meat of the dog. As a linguist amateur, may I ask where you picked up “threatenee”? I like it though haha…;)

Sentinel
05-24-2010, 08:16 PM
well, i guess you people were right... i am finding it easier to suppress my revulsion now.
No no. Don't try suppressing your revulsion. I think sometimes we see these things -- and they heighten the compassion in us.

I once saw some extreme cruelty to pigs, and it took me a long while to come over the shock. I could not even describe it to anyone, for I did not want to subject anyone else to what i saw. Don't try running away from it. Let it be. Let it work its way out or however it wishes to.

And btw, thanks for having the courage to share this.

jswinf
05-24-2010, 08:21 PM
Thanks for that – I suppose you might be right, although the lacking response from OP is a bit conspicuous. I do agree that “dog meat” is meant as meat for the dog, rather than meat of the dog. As a linguist amateur, may I ask where you picked up “threatenee”? I like it though haha…;)

Pretty much made it up--you got your threatener, you got your threatenee--language is a dynamic, growing thing.

rommil
05-24-2010, 09:35 PM
This is a serious question. So I was on Wikipedia browsing, and for some reason I saw a reference to the page "Dog meat." Don't ask me why, but I clicked on it. I saw a picture of dog parts in a bowl half-cooked and I immediately threw up. Literally. Now I feel sick, physically and mentally, and I can't get that image out of my mind. I can't even look at my dog without feeling a new wave of horror wash over me. Now, I am beginning to understand why people are vegetarians. Am I mentally unstable or something, because I feel really sick and it won't go away... help me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymSEibHKOgo&feature=related

SFrazeur
05-24-2010, 09:43 PM
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/397201/2/istockphoto_397201-ice-pick-awl.jpg

Or you can pull an Oedipus and get a brooch. . .

SoBad
05-25-2010, 08:25 PM
Pretty much made it up--you got your threatener, you got your threatenee--language is a dynamic, growing thing.

Yeah, I am with you - the internet seems to catalyse that development dynamic a good bit. My favourite 21C term is "foruming".;)

ubermeyer
05-25-2010, 10:54 PM

You lost me here...

SoBad
05-26-2010, 06:04 PM
You lost me here...

Sorry about that. How did you come upon the "dog meat" link, and why did you click on it?

SystemicAnomaly
05-28-2010, 10:28 PM
... Now, I am beginning to understand why people are vegetarians. Am I mentally unstable or something, because I feel really sick and it won't go away... help me?

Yup, recent studies have shown that vegetarians are mentally unstable. :twisted:

JK, of course - I may be a closet vegetarian myself (perhaps I'll come out of that closet some day). Ours is a curious culture. Many of us find it perfectly acceptable to eat ugly animals -- cattle, pigs, chickens, etc. However, some of us are repulsed with the idea of eating cute animals -- dogs, cats, horses, deer, bunnies, etc. On the other hand, this can also have a lot to do with our habit of co-habitating with some animals as pets. Many cultures where dogs & cats are consumed as food often do not adopt those animals as pets.

albino smurf
05-29-2010, 06:01 AM
The only way to unsee is to punch yourself in the balls immediately after seeing something. If that doesn't work try three more times. If that doesn't work hurry and get to a doctor. Your balls might be damaged.