PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got s time machine?

Fandango
05-23-2010, 11:43 PM
Hi Guys, I know most of you all hyped up by all the French Open craze, but I've had something on my chest that I just needed to get off.

I'm about to turn 19 and I've been really caught up on stuff like work, class, tennis, studying, searching for scholarships, and the occasional break of video games. When this semester ended, my whole schedule was open. I had relaxed for 4 straight weeks-nothing but staying up late watching Its always sunny in philadelphia, playing video games, pick-up basketball games, and just internet surfing until it dawned on me that life was empty.

I've always had my career set on becoming a scientist. But with 19th birthday approaching I feel ridiculously old. I always wanted to try to learn guitar. But when I read about all the guitarists I looked up to:Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix, and Ryan Ross, Drake Bell (watched a lot of Drake and Josh growing up); they all started playing significantly younger than me.

I have to admit, its particularly discouraging. I just feel old and I want to start but the fact that Im already this old makes me feel bad about even starting. I even went for it when I was 16 but I had the same feelings.

Any advice?

Gaab
05-23-2010, 11:59 PM
Already feeling old at 19? If you want to learn to play guitar, you have two choices: either you keep thinking that it's too late, and forget it, or you think that age doesn't matter, you want to play guitar, so you're gonna try so as not to regret it afterwards.

It's never too late to try new things when you feel like it. I am 24, and began to play the piano two years ago—at 22 years old, while many begin way before they are ten. I won't turn into a Yundi Li, but this does not prevent me from enjoying what I'm doing.

David_Is_Right
05-24-2010, 12:07 AM
I started at 12 so I've been playing for 15 years now. However, that doesn't mean that most of those were high-quality practice years. I practiced a lot until I was 21 or so, then tailed off. I practice less frequently now and my practice isn't well-focussed. However, I practice enough to keep my hand in and learn enough things to keep my ear trained.

The moral of this boring story is that a few years of high-quality learning and practice is better than fooling-about for a lifetime, so don't get too hung up on who's played for longer.

albino smurf
05-24-2010, 03:28 AM
regret is a waste of time. figure out what you want to do and start now.

chollyred
05-24-2010, 03:50 AM
After playing drums most of my life, I started learning to play guitar in my early 40s. I know I'll never be good enough to entertain anyone but myself, but I have learned enough to enjoy jamming with some friends occasionally.

About 5 years ago, I loaned my next door neighbor's kid one of my acoustic guitars. He kept it for 3-4 months and returned it. I figured he'd lost interest. Heck no! This weekend they had a graduation party for him. At the same time, he also held a classical guitar recital. He learned more in the last 5 years than I'll ever learn. You get out what you put in. A little talent and a ton of practice and there's no limit. Only be forewarned. It's addictive. It's becomes a lifestyle.

jswinf
05-24-2010, 10:38 AM
Go for it already. Remember, half the guitarists you mentioned died young so you can make it up on the other end.