PDA

View Full Version : Lost finale. What did you think?

i love t3nn1s
05-24-2010, 12:15 AM
I thought it sucked. Thats all i gotta say. What do you guys think?

Davis937
05-24-2010, 12:46 AM
Well, I've definitely seen better ... at least it didn't end as a dream!

himynameisNIKE
05-24-2010, 01:03 AM
it was amazing. after six years, im really happy with how they wrapped it all up.

Marshredder
05-24-2010, 04:12 AM
It didn't suck, if you think it sucked you didnt get it or were expecting more than you would ever reasonably have got!

It ended the way lost should have ended. It built up such a huge cult following because people loved to talk about what was going on, they never explained anything. If they led you by the hand and explained it all it would have been ruined, the message boards full of theoretical debating would have died etc. The ending they gave it was perfect, left it all to interpretation.

Personally I dont think they were dead on the island, only the flash sideways was where they were dead, and that was created by their collective unconsciousness' to bring them together, as only when you are with the people that matter most to you can you move on.

The island was all real. We know Hurley and Ben protected it for a while after the episoded ended because hurley said to ben "you were a good number 2" etc.

Pretty amazing.

bezs
05-24-2010, 04:45 AM
The feel good reunion at the end was nice good to see both Charlie and Claire together. Was surprised to see Lapidus floating around in the water.

I guess it was really appropriate when Jack said to Des "'I'll see u in another life Brotha!"

Anybody notice Kate was wearing a black dress throughout the night but at the final scene she was in a green top.

Never knew Marilyn Manson was a fan.

mikeler
05-24-2010, 05:16 AM
I thought the writers played it kind of safe. Lots of sappy music with everyone reunited. They could have shortened the show to 2 hours pretty easily. I was disappointed.

surfsb
05-24-2010, 05:24 AM
They ultimately avoided a lot of big questions that went throughout the series. While I didn't expect everything to be answered, it felt like this last season flew through all the big questions about why they were there.

FuriousYellow
05-24-2010, 06:38 AM
Personally I dont think they were dead on the island, only the flash sideways was where they were dead, and that was created by their collective unconsciousness' to bring them together, as only when you are with the people that matter most to you can you move on.

The island was all real. We know Hurley and Ben protected it for a while after the episoded ended because hurley said to ben "you were a good number 2" etc.

That was my interpretation of the ending as well. The concept of time didn't apply to the sideways reality. Jack died on the island, but the others may have lived a normal lifespan and Hurley may have lived for centuries afterward.

I think the writers left some things open, but I feel as if they answered most of the important questions.

mr_eko
05-24-2010, 07:04 AM
I went into the episode knowing that questions were not going to be answered. I enjoyed it. There were a lot of emotional moments. I was hoping to get more of Desmond. I think the people who didn't like the finale, did not understand it.

bezs
05-24-2010, 07:08 AM
Disappointed by the no appearance of Mr Eko, Mr Eko?

mikeler
05-24-2010, 07:15 AM
Disappointed by the no appearance of Mr Eko, Mr Eko?

They tried to get him back, but he declined.

mikeler
05-24-2010, 07:16 AM
I would not be too bothered about them not answering questions in the finale except they recently started saying they'll provide answers in the DVD set. Sounds like a marketing gimmick to me. I'll wait for people to posts those online.

FuriousYellow
05-24-2010, 07:43 AM
^It'll probably be like when they showed the reruns with the little popups on the bottom of the screen.

Yeah, but it may be a marketing gimmick but I can't begrudge them that. Just like selling all that commercial air time during last night's finale. Entertainment Weekly is reporting there was more than 45 minutes at $900,000 per spot.

babbette
05-24-2010, 07:52 AM
time for me to get the dvds of this show and start watching. I always wanted to start watching but I never did and before I know it's 6 years later.
Same with prison break and desperate housewives.

surfsb
05-24-2010, 07:54 AM
Jimmy Kimmell's "alternative" endings were pretty funny. I loved the Sopranos style ending

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/video/jimmy-kimmel-live-lost-endings-10726542

FuriousYellow
05-24-2010, 07:59 AM
Jimmy Kimmell's "alternative" endings were pretty funny. I loved the Sopranos style ending

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/video/jimmy-kimmel-live-lost-endings-10726542

Yeah, it was great. Even though I saw the Sopranos ending it still went right over my head until they showed Jin having difficulty parallel parking the Dharma van. I also enjoyed the "Survivor" alternate ending as well. I never saw the "Newhart" ending, so I didn't get it.

surfsb
05-24-2010, 08:32 AM
I never saw the "Newhart" ending, so I didn't get it.

Bob Newhart had two shows. One in the 70s called "The Bob Newhart Show" and one in the 80s called "Newhart". In Newhart he played Dick Loudon who ran an inn in Vermont and in The Bob Newhart Show he played Dr. Robert Hartley who was a psychologist.

In the finale of Newhart, Dick Loudon gets hit in the head with a golfball (which was a gag through the show how the Inn was always hit by golfballs) and he goes unconscious then he wakes up in a bed but this time it's Dr. Robert Hartley and he is in bed with his wife Emily and he is telling her about this dream he had where he ran an Inn in Vermont -- essentially the whole show Newhart was one giant dream the character from The Bob Newhart Show had.

Kevin T
05-24-2010, 08:46 AM
It didn't suck, if you think it sucked you didnt get it or were expecting more than you would ever reasonably have got!

It ended the way lost should have ended. It built up such a huge cult following because people loved to talk about what was going on, they never explained anything. If they led you by the hand and explained it all it would have been ruined, the message boards full of theoretical debating would have died etc. The ending they gave it was perfect, left it all to interpretation.

Pretty amazing.

This. I also really like the 'purgatory' plot. Each person had to right the wrongs (Jack heals Locke; Ben protects his daughter (or student); Sayid saves the love of his life; Sawyer's a cop instead of a criminal, etc.) in their previous life (or lives) before that big reunion in the sky. I give it an 8/10. I wish they would have explained more of the mythology but for me, it was the backdrop. The most important parts of the series were the relationships, personal growth, redemption, yadda yadda. Maybe not quite as good as the 'Six Feet Under' finale but miles ahead of 'The Sopranos' (I'm still angry about that one after all these years). :)

mikeler
05-24-2010, 08:47 AM
time for me to get the dvds of this show and start watching. I always wanted to start watching but I never did and before I know it's 6 years later.
Same with prison break and desperate housewives.

This is the best way to watch it. You don't have to wait so long between seasons. Some people get addicted to it and watch 5 or 6 episodes a night.

Hidious
05-24-2010, 10:27 AM
It was a great finale, no doubt but i was left on my appetite... I may not be smart enough to understand all: what about the numbers, the pregnancy on the island thing, the physics theory, the egyptian statue, Charles Whitmore (what was he trying to do?), Eloise Hawking, etc. Also, who was that samurai guy and who were these people in the pyramid, how could Sayid come back to life and what was that "test" the samurai ran on him that resulted in Sayid being evil?

I loved the character-driven ending but I'm a little lost when it comes to the island. If anybody can shed a little light on these questions, i would be grateful...

jswinf
05-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Ouch, my head. I looked at several posts before I started to suspect it wasn't about some guy who lost a final and didn't know how to spell. Nothing seemed to be making sense. So is there a TV show called "Lost"?:???:

AR15
05-24-2010, 10:29 AM
loved it:)

pmata814
05-24-2010, 11:25 AM
I've been analyzing the finale all day long trying to decide if I liked it or loved it. I've come to the conclusion I liked it. The finale was good but not great. I thought this final season was excellent so I expected the finale to be phenomenal and it just wasn't. I understand that they wanted to focus on the characters but I feel that the island itself was the most interesting character of the series and they just totally ignored it in the end.

Also, couple of things I'm wondering about and maybe someone here can shed some light on this:

--Why was aaron in the church as a baby? Aaron was left in the real world with his grandmother, and we have to assume that Claire made it back to him and lived a whole life at his side, so what was he doing there as a baby?

--Why does Sayid get to 'move on'? I assume the reason characters like Ben Lynus, Michael and Eko weren't there is because they had not earned the right to move on because of what they did in life. Sayid was no angel.

--Sayid and Shannon?? (I don't think he should've been there at all but since he was...)They were together for what? Two dates? And suddently she is the most important person in his life? Shouldn't it have been Nadia? Desmond got Penny right?

--The biggest question of all to me was that they kept saying the world would end if the somke monster left the island. They never clarified why? What exactly would happen to the world?

I knew all along the ending would cause exactly this. Lost always answered 1 question in an episode and implanted 50 more in its place. So i'm not surprised... just wish they had answered some of the above :)

i love t3nn1s
05-24-2010, 04:05 PM
anyone know what happened to michael and his son? Last time i heard about michaels son was that his house was robbed in california. It was on the news.

MrFlip
05-24-2010, 04:56 PM
Lost wasted over 100 hours of my time. After reading the finale plot, I expected Jesus to turn up in the church with a big grin, giving Jack the thumbs up, pointing and walking away like at the end of Orgazmo when the characters are standing around and Joe is praying.

Lost = bunch of writers wanking each other off on the premise of how brilliant they were with symbolism, metaphors, philosophy, time travel.

Makes me so mad that these guys will get praised. The only reason Lost is enduring amongst the TV pop is because it has a cult following. The X-factor is all that kept it going through the years because everyone was hoping it would blow our minds, but as I thought (after watching Across the Sea) it wouldnt and would certainly leave us with some quasi-mystical ******** about life and death, fate vs free will.

**** Lost and **** the writers and producers for luring us into what looked to be a brilliant show but ended with a feel good reunion and half-baked religious connotation.

TennisBeginner
05-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Sure some questions weren't answered but we all new they wouldn't be :D Honestly I loved it, and it was very sad too, I was sitting with my dad though, so I had to tough it out and not shed the tears.

TennisBeginner
05-24-2010, 05:28 PM
--Why was aaron in the church as a baby? Aaron was left in the real world with his grandmother, and we have to assume that Claire made it back to him and lived a whole life at his side, so what was he doing there as a baby?

No clue :confused:

--Why does Sayid get to 'move on'? I assume the reason characters like Ben Lynus, Michael and Eko weren't there is because they had not earned the right to move on because of what they did in life. Sayid was no angel.
I think Sayid always thought he was doing the right thing, and in the end he realized he was wrong and decided to be the hero and finish life doing the best he could.

--Sayid and Shannon?? (I don't think he should've been there at all but since he was...)They were together for what? Two dates? And suddently she is the most important person in his life? Shouldn't it have been Nadia? Desmond got Penny right? Maybe Sayid, like Jack, had the most important moment of his life on the island rather than off of it with Nadia:confused:

--The biggest question of all to me was that they kept saying the world would end if the smoke monster left the island. They never clarified why? What exactly would happen to the world? I think with his power, and the fact that no one could kill him, he would basically be indestructible and do whatever he wanted in the world.

I knew all along the ending would cause exactly this. Lost always answered 1 question in an episode and implanted 50 more in its place. So i'm not surprised... just wish they had answered some of the above :)
Yep, gotta love those Lost creators, always just confusing us more :D

Juges8932
06-05-2010, 04:26 PM
I just finished the finale. I loved it. It was great. I have been really critical on LOST since season 4. However, the final stretch of season 6 was really good and I was sad to see it end, despite 2 years of basically disliking the show (despite watching every episode). I loved the first 3 seasons, especially season 1 (Watched it all in one day). This was a CHARACTER-driven show, and if the finale doesn't tell you that, then maybe you should try to re-watch it or re-think your mentality on the show. It was never about the island. It's always been about the characters finding their way, SPIRITUALLY. All of those characters were damaged goods in some way: Jack (his dad, etc), Kate (killing a man, fugitive, etc), Sawyer (Con-man, dead parents, etc), Sun and Jin (Their bad marriage), Sayid (What he's done in his life and losing his "soulmate"), etc. They didn't have a purpose and needed to find one, Hurley and Jack in particular. LOST is referring more to their souls being lost, then them being lost on the island. Sure, a large part of the mythological questions about the island were not answered, and personally, I am just fine with it. The finale brought us back to what the show was set out to do and be focused on, which is the characters. It's a sci-fi mystery/drama/fantasy. My liking and respect for LOST has sky-rocketed since the finale for the show overall. Also, they had the finale planned from the first episode. They knew what they wanted the ending to be.

The flash sideways was just a purgatory state in which they found themselves again and could all go to peace together.

mikeler
06-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Totally agree with the part in bold below. The writers have always had a fear of over explaining things. They would always reference the 3 newer Star Wars films where they explained that midichlorians (sp?) in the blood were what allowed the force in some people. I think they made an error on under explaining too many things. Once I saw Across The Sea, which I was convinced that I would love because it was a mythological episode, I was fairly certain that the ending would disappoint me and I was right on that one.

I've been analyzing the finale all day long trying to decide if I liked it or loved it. I've come to the conclusion I liked it. The finale was good but not great. I thought this final season was excellent so I expected the finale to be phenomenal and it just wasn't. I understand that they wanted to focus on the characters but I feel that the island itself was the most interesting character of the series and they just totally ignored it in the end.

Also, couple of things I'm wondering about and maybe someone here can shed some light on this:

--Sayid and Shannon?? (I don't think he should've been there at all but since he was...)They were together for what? Two dates? And suddently she is the most important person in his life? Shouldn't it have been Nadia? Desmond got Penny right?

--The biggest question of all to me was that they kept saying the world would end if the somke monster left the island. They never clarified why? What exactly would happen to the world?

JohnS
06-05-2010, 08:33 PM
The first two season focused so much on Claire having to be The One to raise Aaron. I thought Aaron was going to play a major role; was he going to be evil or a saint? In the end. Kate was the one to have raised him and Claire eventually got off the island (speculating that she was able to see her son again).

I didnt like how they never explained Claire's purpose for raising Aaron.

MrFlip
06-05-2010, 11:16 PM
Jesus christ doesnt anyone here give a hoot that nothing was really explained and that the writers took us all for a ride on this so-called 'drama show'.

Its so obvious by about the 3rd season the writers didnt know where the show should have gone or was going so they threw in some mystical/ancient egyptian stuff and kept the guessing game going.

Lakoste
06-06-2010, 07:32 AM
I loved the finale, wish they would have talked more about the island itself. Like a background on Jacob's "Mom" would have been awesome.
It was from Jack's point of view, so he remembers him as a baby. Pretty sure at least.

Ben didn't feel connected to the group so he decides not to come inside, Eko wanted a lot of $$ to be in the final so they told him to **** off. No clue why Michael wasn't there. Sawyer wasn't that great of a guy either.

He obviously had more of a connection with Shannon than someone who died years ago. I try not to analyze the characters love emotions too much.

Did you see how easily the smoke monster killed people?

Jesus christ doesnt anyone here give a hoot that nothing was really explained and that the writers took us all for a ride on this so-called 'drama show'.

Its so obvious by about the 3rd season the writers didnt know where the show should have gone or was going so they threw in some mystical/ancient egyptian stuff and kept the guessing game going.
LOL pretty sure the writers had the main plot for the entire series written from early on. It's just a TV show, bro. Calm down.

Rippy
06-06-2010, 10:57 AM

That annoyed me... and quite a lot of people probably. Opinion was fairly divided on the finale.

Geezer Guy
06-06-2010, 04:44 PM
I liked the Fanale quite a bit. It didn't answer every question, but that show had so many that that would be impossible.

I don't think the writers had the ending planned from the beginning. Seemed to me like they were making things up as they went along, introducing new characters and twists. Then, after 5 years they decided they had one more season to wrap everything up and they just did the best they could.

vive le beau jeu !
12-03-2013, 09:28 AM
i know i'm a bit late to the party, brotha, but i just watched the finale... and just read this 'spoiler' thread ;) that i'm affording to revive !

while i understand it can be seen as a 'beautiful' way of ending it (assuming you don't overestimate the audience comprehension stills !), i'm a bit in two minds (lost ?) about it.

i guess it's because, while being a relatively ambitious/mystical ending -a bit beyond the scope of the island/plot/etc. in my opinion- i see it more as a finale for the season 6 than for the whole thing.
i liked the flashback/flashfoward/flashsideways idea... and of course, the ending is connected to to some elements from the past seasons (final island scene mirroring the first one, various hints scattered here and there, etc.) but this parallel/puragotory thing is only featured in season 6, after all.

in fact, even if it might sound a bit unspiritual/down-to-earth, i prefered the epilogue (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Man_in_Charge) mini-episode as a way of ending the storytelling... dude ! :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH0P-CA7ntE

all this shows that while it's already difficult to build a good fiction story... it's even less easy to end it, freckles !
anyway, despite this relative unsatisfaction, thanks to the writers keeping a good interest for a long time, with their subtle way of finding the right balance between unraveling mysteries and raising new questions. ;)
http://www.schoolnet.org.za/PILP/themes/trainer_offline/waw/KingTut/index_files/ankh4.gif