PDA

View Full Version : Nadal to play 1st match on Lenglen, Roddick to start on Chatrier

clayman2000
05-24-2010, 09:35 AM
Is this a joke? I know Nadal will likely run over mini-Monfils, and Roddick will struggle, but the schedule should be meant to appease fans. I mean, if I bought tickets for Chatrier, id be ticked off to watch Roddick over Nadal on clay.

El Diablo
05-24-2010, 09:51 AM
You know how the French are....they revere Jerry Lewis, Woody Allen, and Roddick. It's a comedy/tragedy thing.

TMF
05-24-2010, 09:56 AM
It’s about the interest of the audience. Sure, Rafa is ranked #2, but if most fans preferred to see Roddick’s match, it’s nothing wrong to put him in a bigger stadium.

If the number of tickets project to sell 10,000 for Rafa’s match but 15,000 tickets for Roddick, where would you want to place them to play? Didn’t think so.

david93
05-24-2010, 09:58 AM
They want Rafa to lose, the smaller court is faster :)
And his opponent is a Frenchman, so... ;)

fedfan08
05-24-2010, 09:58 AM
It’s about the interest of the audience. Sure, Rafa is ranked #2, but if most fans preferred to see Roddick’s match, it’s nothing wrong to put him in a bigger stadium.

If the number of tickets project to sell 10,000 for Rafa’s match but 15,000 tickets for Roddick, where would you want to place them to play? Didn’t think so.And where's the evidence that there is more interest in Roddick than Nadal at RG? Nadal is 4 time champion. Roddick's best result, is what, 4th round?

TMF
05-24-2010, 10:05 AM
They want Rafa to lose, the smaller court is faster :)
And his opponent is a Frenchman, so... ;)

The home crowd will definitely be on Mina’s side. Rafa had his way in Madrid, but now it’s fair for him to deal with the hostile crowd.

bolo
05-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Could be a strategic move. Smaller stadium, the crowd can really get into nadal's games.

Leonidas
05-24-2010, 10:14 AM
Just Haters at their peak. every year they get better at hating. No respect for the 4 time champion

TMF
05-24-2010, 10:15 AM
And where's the evidence that there is more interest in Roddick than Nadal at RG? Nadal is 4 time champion. Roddick's best result, is what, 4th round?

You and I don’t have any evidence, but there has to be a good reason for having Roddick’s match on center court. And my guess is more fans wants to see Roddick’s match.

Normally higher ranking players attract more viewers, but that’s not always the case. Weren’t the William sisters(and Jankovic) were placed in a smaller court in the past despite they were seeded higher than the other players?

TMF
05-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Just Haters at their peak. every year they get better at hating. No respect for the 4 time champion

What about Federer’s match against Ferrer in the semi and against Rafa in the final at Madrid?

I can say the same thing...haters don’t respect the #1 player in the world!

cknobman
05-24-2010, 10:29 AM
What court did Nadal loose to Solderling on?

tahiti
05-24-2010, 10:30 AM
Is this a joke? I know Nadal will likely run over mini-Monfils, and Roddick will struggle, but the schedule should be meant to appease fans. I mean, if I bought tickets for Chatrier, id be ticked off to watch Roddick over Nadal on clay.

Me too. I can't beleive they'd do that.

TennisandMusic
05-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Pretty absurd. They obviously hate the guy. It's kind of insane.

bolo
05-24-2010, 10:34 AM
Plus cut down on the territory that nadal has to play defense. But it is a nice thing to do for the 2nd court fans. IIRC there is a substantial price difference between the 2 stadiums, maybe I am wrong about this.

TMF
05-24-2010, 10:37 AM
They will rotate. If rafa and Roddick move on to the 2nd round, I’m sure Nadal will get to play on center court and Roddick will be on Lenglen. If I’m wrong, then you guys can suspect hatred!

Rippy
05-24-2010, 10:38 AM
I think they don't like to put anyone on PC for every match? So it could make sense to give Nadal his very first match on SL, so that in his later matches, he will play on the main court.

TennisandMusic
05-24-2010, 10:45 AM
Does Federer ever play on Lenglen? Ever?

bezs
05-24-2010, 10:50 AM
Looking at the fixture for tomorrow i'd much rather be at Lenglen than Chatrier the matches on Chatrier look like a real bore.

bolo
05-24-2010, 10:51 AM

Not sure. Doesn't directly apply but federer played on court 1 at the 2005 wimbledon vs. gonzo. Rd 16 I think.

Rippy
05-24-2010, 10:52 AM

I could be wrong, but I did think they put each "top player" on Lenglen once rather than Chatrier. Again, I do think I remember reading that somewhere, but could be wrong.

CMM
05-24-2010, 10:53 AM
And my guess is more fans wants to see Roddick’s match.

:-|:-|:-|:-|

Imaster
05-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Maybe the center court is playing faster than Lenglen, hence Rafa could have actually requested to be played on Lenglen......

TennisandMusic
05-24-2010, 11:00 AM
The flipside, is that it could potentially be Roddick's only match at the French, so they put him on the big court.

clayman2000
05-24-2010, 11:04 AM
Firstly, how many matches on Court 1 has Fed played at Wimby in the last 5 years?

Nadal always plays 1-2 matches on Lenglen.

CMM
05-24-2010, 11:05 AM
Someone said that Federer also played his opening match on SL before.

mandy01
05-24-2010, 11:08 AM
Someone said that Federer also played his opening match on SL before.
He has.I don't remember when though.And if I'm not wrong Roger prefers Lenglen over Chatrier.

CMM
05-24-2010, 11:12 AM
He has.I don't remember when though.And if I'm not wrong Roger prefers Lenglen over Chatrier.

In 2008, against Querrey.

tudwell
05-24-2010, 11:14 AM
Jesus, people. A court's a court. How is Nadal more likely to lose if he plays on Lenglen instead of Chatrier?

rocket
05-24-2010, 11:19 AM

props for being a Roddick fan, yet you know what's fair.

joeri888
05-24-2010, 11:20 AM
Firstly, how many matches on Court 1 has Fed played at Wimby in the last 5 years?

Nadal always plays 1-2 matches on Lenglen.

How many times was Federer a fourth round exiter at Wimbledon the year before, and said bad things about the crowd and public from a very nationalistic country?

I'm not saying it's the right call, but Rafa's team had some hostile environment coming their way. Not saying it's justified, just saying it's not that unexpected.

fedfan08
05-24-2010, 11:23 AM
You and I don’t have any evidence, but there has to be a good reason for having Roddick’s match on center court. And my guess is more fans wants to see Roddick’s match.

Normally higher ranking players attract more viewers, but that’s not always the case. Weren’t the William sisters(and Jankovic) were placed in a smaller court in the past despite they were seeded higher than the other players?Don't buy it that the crowd at RG wants to see Roddick more than Nadal. According to Matt Cronin they put Nadal on SL because they wanted a marquee match on that court for ticket sales.

CMM
05-24-2010, 11:23 AM
How many times was Federer a fourth round exiter at Wimbledon the year before, and said bad things about the crowd and public from a very nationalistic country?

I'm not saying it's the right call, but Rafa's team had some hostile environment coming their way. Not saying it's justified, just saying it's not that unexpected.

This doesn't have anything to do with the scheduling.

TennisandMusic
05-24-2010, 11:24 AM

The hostile environment existed last year though. Yeah Toni shouldn't have said the French public is "very stupid" (though they seem to act that way too often), but his comment was a result of how they acted towards Nadal. The whole thing is bizarre.

fedfan08
05-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Does Federer ever play on Lenglen? Ever?I believe he did through 2008, but in 2009 he did not. And at Wimbledon he only played on CC. I think that was the case in 2008 as well.

rocket
05-24-2010, 11:25 AM
Jesus, people. A court's a court. How is Nadal more likely to lose if he plays on Lenglen instead of Chatrier?

ask Sampras how he felt playing on court 2 at Wimby.

fedfan08
05-24-2010, 11:26 AM
Jesus, people. A court's a court. How is Nadal more likely to lose if he plays on Lenglen instead of Chatrier?Don't think anyone is suggesting he's more likely to lose, but he's 4 time winner of RG yet his opening match is on the #2 show court. And he's playing a Frenchman to boot.

christinamaniac7
05-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Just a typical french decision... Haters at their best!! :confused:

joeri888
05-24-2010, 11:35 AM
The hostile environment existed last year though. Yeah Toni shouldn't have said the French public is "very stupid" (though they seem to act that way too often), but his comment was a result of how they acted towards Nadal. The whole thing is bizarre.

There was no hostility towards Nadal, they just rooted for Federer in Nadal's matches. They were massively behind Soderling, but I didn't really see that much anger or disrespect towards Nadal. In the 90s they were ALWAYS rooting for the upset everywhere. Nadal-fans should just accept it as it is, because saying bad things about the french isn't gonna make a difference. If he just plays nice with the French, they'll be very kind to him, because their need for Roger to win the FO is fullfilled. Another upset would maybe be fun, but is not really necessary.

joeri888
05-24-2010, 11:36 AM
This doesn't have anything to do with the scheduling.

It doesn't? Than what does? The fact that Roddick went as deep as Rafa last year? Or the fact that Nieminen is the claycourt GOAT?

TennisandMusic
05-24-2010, 11:36 AM
There was no hostility towards Nadal, they just rooted for Federer in Nadal's matches. They were massively behind Soderling, but I didn't really see that much anger or disrespect towards Nadal. In the 90s they were ALWAYS rooting for the upset everywhere. Nadal-fans should just accept it as it is, because saying bad things about the french isn't gonna make a difference. If he just plays nice with the French, they'll be very kind to him, because their need for Roger to win the FO is fullfilled. Another upset would maybe be fun, but is not really necessary.

The way they acted towards Nadal in that Soderling match was pretty disrespectful though. I'm not saying it's worth complaining about necessarily, but it is what it is...

Cyan
05-24-2010, 11:38 AM
You know how the French are....they revere Jerry Lewis, Woody Allen, and Roddick. It's a comedy/tragedy thing.

And Pedo Polanski too:oops::oops:

bobbylechat
05-24-2010, 11:39 AM
they do that so that everybody gets to see the big players.
and it's only first round. He will play the other matches on the chatrier court.

joeri888
05-24-2010, 11:40 AM
The way they acted towards Nadal in that Soderling match was pretty disrespectful though. I'm not saying it's worth complaining about necessarily, but it is what it is...

Hmm, than I was very very very disrespectful myself. There might have been 1 or 2 moments, but it wasn't that much. (and I've watched that match 3 times in full I think).

Anyways, I think Roddick's match will be more interesting to watch as a neutral fan than Nadal's :). They should have put Murray-Gasquet over Federer as well. I'd like to see more 'picking tight matches' by the organizers, but than they should do it everywhere, and not just at the FO.

joeri888
05-24-2010, 11:41 AM
People are being disgracefully racist here by the way. It's just how the french are, a typical french ******** decision etc. etc.

bobbylechat
05-24-2010, 11:42 AM
just read all the comments and i must say i'm really disappointed....
it has nothing to see with the fact of hating rafa and so on....
like i said, tickets for roland garros are sold from december to february for the french licensed players....
tickets for the chatrier court are really tough to get cause they sale really really fast. If nadal and fed would play all of their matches on the main court, a lot of people wouldn't be able to see them play...
just think about it....

decades
05-24-2010, 11:43 AM
The French really can't stand Rafa and his tennis of brute force. And now you see the result....this is a slap in the face at the whole of Spain.

CMM
It doesn't? Than what does? The fact that Roddick went as deep as Rafa last year? Or the fact that Nieminen is the claycourt GOAT?

I think every year he played a match on that court.
Besides, he didn't say anything bad about the French public. He was actually pretty nice considering the way he was treated.

But I know what you think, so don't bother telling me that the crowd can support whoever they want and stuff like that because that's not the point...

christinamaniac7
they do that so that everybody gets to see the big players.
and it's only first round. He will play the other matches on the chatrier court.

That is not a good reason for this idiotic scheduling?! it's a shame they don't respect one of the best clay courter of all time... it's really a shame :oops:

BreakPoint
05-24-2010, 11:46 AM
They would probably switch Nadal with Roddick if Nadal wore Lacoste clothes and Babolat shoes, and Roddick wore Nike clothes and shoes. The Babolat racquet and strings alone are not enough. :wink: LOL

bobbylechat
05-24-2010, 11:47 AM
christina, i can understand, but again they try to satisfy the audience, all of it...
and for those who say french people are ********, let me just remind you "budapest is the capital of what european country ?" maybe all american people think europe is a country ?
see ? i could say that you are all stupid but i don't, so please, be respectful

TennisandMusic
05-24-2010, 11:49 AM
People are being disgracefully racist here by the way. It's just how the french are, a typical french ******** decision etc. etc.

? Isn't France a country? I didn't realize "French" is a race.

bobbylechat
05-24-2010, 11:49 AM
and i don't understand, you should al be happy to see an american player play on the chatrier court :p
why do you care so much about rafa? i mean, he is european and ********, just like everybody outside the US :D

BreakPoint
05-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Me too. I can't beleive they'd do that.
If the French can put their own darling Gasquet versus Murray on Lenglen, it wouldn't even surprise me if they put Nadal out on Court 16. :shock:

mandy01
05-24-2010, 11:53 AM
The way they acted towards Nadal in that Soderling match was pretty disrespectful though. I'm not saying it's worth complaining about necessarily, but it is what it is...They didn't support him and it seems Nadal was hurt a little bit especially right after the match but they weren't too disrespectful .It could've been worse.
One can't say the USO crowds are that much better.

Backbored
05-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Good grief if The French Open is hurting for money, they need to do more than take the best player ever on clay (IMHO) and put him on a less desirable court, for higher sales. They need a complete overhaul financing and marketing. Has Uncle Toni or Rafa commented on this new winkle? I think Spain should respond in kind with French players. Oh wait there are no good French clay players.

TennisandMusic
05-24-2010, 11:59 AM
They didn't support him and it seems Nadal was hurt a little bit especially right after the match but they weren't too disrespectful .It could've been worse.
One can't say the USO crowds are that much better.

But it was their complete lack of support that was disrespectful. It was dead silent when Nadal would win a point, and roars when Soderling would win...I mean what the heck. No love at all for a guy who is nothing but extremely nice to all of the tournaments, and puts his blood and guts into his matches for these people. So yes, it was disrespectful.

Though Federer got similar treatment in Madrid so...

Marius_Hancu
05-24-2010, 11:59 AM
I'm surprised by the decision, but, hey, Lenglen is very nice, compact, lots of history

christinamaniac7
05-24-2010, 12:02 PM
If the French can put their own darling Gasquet versus Murray on Lenglen, it wouldn't even surprise me if they put Nadal out on Court 16. :shock:

Well with all the respect for richie, but he hasn't won RG for a single time!! he hasn't even been in the top 3 for a single week! he hasn't won a single GS, and of course he looks like nothing compared to nadal so that point is irrelevant :neutral:

christinamaniac7
05-24-2010, 12:05 PM
christina, i can understand, but again they try to satisfy the audience, all of it...
and for those who say french people are ********, let me just remind you "budapest is the capital of what european country ?" maybe all american people think europe is a country ?

Well i honestly don't think peoples' satisfaction is to see a player whose least favorite surface is clay playing on PC! :shock: he never loved red dust and he never performed well on it so why should people enjoy his match on PC?

yellowoctopus
05-24-2010, 12:07 PM
Could be a strategic move. Smaller stadium, the crowd can really get into nadal's games.

I think some of us are giving the French way too much credit.

http://brainwagon.org/images/dumb.jpg

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/pictures/2009/6/1/1243891505572/Rafael-Nadal-001.jpg

hugobosstachini
05-24-2010, 12:10 PM
:) :) Good one and as a french I'm proud to be a ******** if its just for a problem of who's best for which court. Interesting strategy from the tourney directors since the public in the Lenglen is very close to the players and can easily get into one's head moreover on "France 2" they already tried to destabilize Rafa in the ITW with Tati but Jamie will still lose. :mrgreen:

bolo
05-24-2010, 12:11 PM
I think some of us are giving the French way too much credit.

http://brainwagon.org/images/dumb.jpg

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/pictures/2009/6/1/1243891505572/Rafael-Nadal-001.jpg

ha ha. I don't know whether you are from the US but there is another show here that's called "are you smarter than a 5th grader?" or something. Not pretty. :)

Fee
05-24-2010, 12:11 PM
59 posts, only 3 that got it right.

The organizers have said they will put one large marquee match on Lenglen each day. Today it was Murray v Gasquet, tomorrow it will be Nadal. They do it for the money and to keep the ticket buyers somewhat happy because they sell a seperate ticket for Lenglen. Look for W to do the same in a few weeks, they sell separate tickets for their top 3 courts.

bobbylechat
05-24-2010, 12:15 PM
exactly what i meant fee !
thank you !

bolo
05-24-2010, 12:16 PM
Little do french tourny directors know that it's Littlemonf who needs the running space. ;)

http://lh6.ggpht.com/stephaniejoyce/SKq_8djGvkI/AAAAAAAAB8Q/K0ldyIMQEsc/rocket%20scientists.jpg

bolo
05-24-2010, 12:18 PM

The organizers have said they will put one large marquee match on Lenglen each day. Today it was Murray v Gasquet, tomorrow it will be Nadal. They do it for the money and to keep the ticket buyers somewhat happy because they sell a seperate ticket for Lenglen. Look for W to do the same in a few weeks, they sell separate tickets for their top 3 courts.

ofcourse they would say that! :)

rocket
05-24-2010, 12:24 PM
annual sale:

the best claycourter in the world is now 20% off!

aisle 2 everybody.

sdont
05-24-2010, 12:24 PM
I heard they also asked the ball boys to kick Nadal's water bottles at changeovers. :shock:

bolo
05-24-2010, 12:25 PM
annual sale:

the best claycourter in the world is now 20% off!

aisle 2 everybody.

that's cold. :)

Serendipitous
05-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Rafa Yell deserves a much larjer cort. :mad:

http://threadbombing.com/data/media/18/MonorailCat.jpg

BreakPoint
05-24-2010, 12:29 PM
Well with all the respect for richie, but he hasn't won RG for a single time!! he hasn't even been in the top 3 for a single week! he hasn't won a single GS, and of course he looks like nothing compared to nadal so that point is irrelevant :neutral:
No, it's not irrelevant. Why? Because Gasquet is FRENCH!!! And this is, after all, the FRENCH OPEN!

When was the last time you saw Roddick NOT play on Arthur Ashe stadium at the US Open? Or Hewitt NOT play on Rod Laver stadium at the Aus Open? Or Tim Henman NOT play on Centre Court at Wimbledon?

christinamaniac7
05-24-2010, 12:46 PM
No, it's not irrelevant. Why? Because Gasquet is FRENCH!!! And this is, after all, the FRENCH OPEN!

When was the last time you saw Roddick NOT play on Arthur Ashe stadium at the US Open? Or Hewitt NOT play on Rod Laver stadium at the Aus Open? Or Tim Henman NOT play on Centre Court at Wimbledon?

Ok i don't get your point, but neither roddick nor nieminnen is french!! :| i also don't get why would it be satisfying for people if the 4 time champ plays on lenglen and roddick -who ironically hasn't reached a single QF- on PC? :confused:

vive le beau jeu !
05-24-2010, 12:52 PM
what's the big deal ? all top players often play on this 'central bis'... it's not as if serena williams had been programmed on court 3 ! ;)
(the only thing to remember is that it's not a good plan to book tickets for the lenglen if you want to avoid nadal)

anyway, his amigo verdasco will probably have warmed up the crowd of the lenglen for him earlier in the day. :)

Mustard
05-24-2010, 01:28 PM

The Roland Garros crowd don't like Rafa because he continually denied their beloved Roger the French Open and they wanted Rafa out of Roger's way. The reason they prefer Roger has little to do with nationality, but almost everything to do with the playing styles of the two players.

BreakPoint
05-24-2010, 01:30 PM
Ok i don't get your point, but neither roddick nor nieminnen is french!! :| i also don't get why would it be satisfying for people if the 4 time champ plays on lenglen and roddick -who ironically hasn't reached a single QF- on PC? :confused:
That IS my point. Why would they NOT put Gasquet on Chatrier? If it's possible for them not to put Gasquet vs. Murray on Chatrier, then all bets are off! They can put ANYONE anywhere. Yes, even Nadal out on Court 16.

Can you imagine if this was the Spanish Open and the Spanish didn't put Nadal vs. Murray on center court?

ruerooo
05-24-2010, 01:34 PM

This is my question. I know he played on Chatrier this morning. Which is fair because he's the defending champion, but ...

namelessone
05-24-2010, 01:39 PM
That IS my point. Why would they NOT put Gasquet on Chatrier? If it's possible for them not to put Gasquet vs. Murray on Chatrier, then all bets are off! They can put ANYONE anywhere. Yes, even Nadal out on Court 16.

Can you imagine if this was the Spanish Open and the Spanish didn't put Nadal vs. Murray on center court?

Tomorrow's schedule on Chatrier:

Pironkova-Henin. Henin is belgian,close to french,and a big player. Understandable.

Roddick-Nieminen. What? Two no-names on clay and one is an american,who are clearly very loved in Paris:)

Camerin-Bartoli. At least Bartoli is French so maybe I can buy it.

Hewitt-Chardy. Hewitt is not so good on clay and Chardy isn't exactly in the top echelon of french player when they have tsonga,gasquet and so on.

At least one of the mens matches tomorrow could have been bumped to lenglen and Nadal could have played on Chatrier. Hell,he is playing a frenchie so it makes even more sense.

The reasoning apparently is that the frenchies want to sell more tickets to lenglen and they are using Nadal's star appeal. LOL. He will probably play on court 17 his next match:)

No respect for the four times champ.

ruerooo
05-24-2010, 01:42 PM

Hungary.
:roll:

Et je suis américaine, et je persiste à dire les organisateurs - et les fans de tennis françaises dans le passé dans Roland Garros - se sont comportés honteusement vers Rafa.

fedfan08
05-24-2010, 01:42 PM
This is my question. I know he played on Chatrier this morning. Which is fair because he's the defending champion, but ...Prior to last year yes. But in 2009 Federer only played on PC.

jerriy
05-24-2010, 01:44 PM

When was the last time you saw Roddick NOT play on Arthur Ashe stadium at the US Open? Or Hewitt NOT play on Rod Laver stadium at the Aus Open? Or Tim Henman NOT play on Centre Court at Wimbledon?But currently Gasquet (who until his Nice victory last week was ranked way outside the ATP top 50 for quite some time) isn't the French equivalent of Roddick or Hewitt. That'd be Tsonga and Monfils and one or two other French players.

Once Gasquet continues his current climb up the rankings he will again be eligible for an automatic reservation of French Open center court/Philippe Chatrier

jamesblakefan#1
05-24-2010, 01:46 PM
This is my question. I know he played on Chatrier this morning. Which is fair because he's the defending champion, but ...

Federer played Querrey on Lenglen in 2008. At this point in time he was a 12 time slam champ and 2 time defending finalist at RG.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/7420050.stm

jamesblakefan#1
05-24-2010, 01:48 PM
But currently Gasquet (who until his Nice victory last week was ranked way outside the ATP top 50 for quite some time) isn't the French equivalent of Roddick or Hewitt. That'd be Tsonga and Monfils and one or two other French players.

Once Gasquet continues his current climb up the rankings he will again be eligible for an automatic reservation of French Open center court/Philippe Chatrier

Even Blake still got all of his matches on Ashe last year IIRC when he was in the worst slump of his career. BP's point still stands. If the French can still put Gasquet on Lenglen, and Fed's been on there in the past, certainly Nadal is fair game.

jman
05-24-2010, 02:39 PM
Tomorrow's schedule on Chatrier:

Pironkova-Henin. Henin is belgian,close to french,and a big player. Understandable.

Roddick-Nieminen. What? Two no-names on clay and one is an american,who are clearly very loved in Paris:)

Camerin-Bartoli. At least Bartoli is French so maybe I can buy it.

Hewitt-Chardy. Hewitt is not so good on clay and Chardy isn't exactly in the top echelon of french player when they have tsonga,gasquet and so on.

At least one of the mens matches tomorrow could have been bumped to lenglen and Nadal could have played on Chatrier. Hell,he is playing a frenchie so it makes even more sense.

The reasoning apparently is that the frenchies want to sell more tickets to lenglen and they are using Nadal's star appeal. LOL. He will probably play on court 17 his next match:)

No respect for the four times champ.

I would be so ****ed if I had bought Philipe Chatrier tickets for tommorows' matches. Seems like Lenglen has the better crop of players playing. At the AO, I always buy Rod Laver Arena tickets, cause you know they place marquee players there (fed & nadal).Guess, it's luck of the schedule for thr french.

fedfan08
05-24-2010, 02:46 PM
Even Blake still got all of his matches on Ashe last year IIRC when he was in the worst slump of his career. BP's point still stands. If the French can still put Gasquet on Lenglen, and Fed's been on there in the past, certainly Nadal is fair game.If they had to put Nadal on SL then at least put Verdasco on PC. OK Roddick is seeded 6 and Verdasco 7 but Verdasco has had a much better run on the clay this year whereas Roddick's clay season has consisted of 2 doubles matches.

On SL the could have Safina, then Nadal, then Sharapova then Roddick. And Sharapova or Roddick most likely would be live during ESPN's coverage window. Now we'll just get both of them on tape Roddick while other matches are being played live.

sillymonkey
05-24-2010, 03:04 PM
sorry, but I find it impossible to believe Roddick tix sell better than Nadal. At the USO, sure, but at RG? nah.

Backbored
05-24-2010, 03:17 PM
Let me get this straight. The high Euro court could be half empty so the smaller more economic court can be full. The only way this could work imo is if they sold the tickets in advance, with the knowledge that SL would have more top ten players than they had in the past playing there. Also the folks that bought tickets for PC would know that a certain number of events would have some lower tier players. That’s the only way to be fair imho.

JeMar
05-24-2010, 03:34 PM
The French don't like Nadal.

fedfan08
05-24-2010, 04:08 PM
sorry, but I find it impossible to believe Roddick tix sell better than Nadal. At the USO, sure, but at RG? nah.Of course they don't that's why Roddick isn't the 'marquee' match on SL. They don't have to worry about ticket sales on PC. And anyway he's not the one selling tickets - Henin and the Frenchies playing are.

tangerine
05-24-2010, 04:29 PM
You guys make it sound like playing on Lenglen is like playing in the parking lot.

I'm sure the organizers figure Rafa will have plenty of chances to play on Chatrier later in the tournament whereas Roddick probably will not. They're just spreading the wealth around, so to speak.

dmt
05-24-2010, 04:33 PM
does anyone have a good live stream for the fo?

clayman2000
05-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Look, I know the schedulers want to mix things up, but if your a person who bought Chatrier tickets for one day, and you find out you got gipped, id be ticked off

BreakPoint
05-24-2010, 05:36 PM
But currently Gasquet (who until his Nice victory last week was ranked way outside the ATP top 50 for quite some time) isn't the French equivalent of Roddick or Hewitt. That'd be Tsonga and Monfils and one or two other French players.

Yeah, but don't forget that the French have considered Gasquet - "The Anointed One" - ever since he's been in his mother's womb. He's been ranked higher than both Monfils and Tsonga are now, and the French still think of him as a Grand Slam contender.

vortex1
05-24-2010, 05:46 PM
Typical French. So bitter Nadal made Federer his pigeon in RG all those times, they don't show any respect to the King of Clay. I hope he triple bagels that challenger he's up against, so we have one less French mug playing in RG. (Yesterday was a good start. Dolgopolov and Murray made my day)

World Beater
05-24-2010, 08:50 PM
LOL @ people reading into this so much.

rommil
05-24-2010, 09:55 PM
What a bunch of drama queens. Ok to make it up to the Nadal fans, Rafa can play all his US Open matches at Chatrier.

malakas
05-24-2010, 10:05 PM
oh wow what a big deal this is.D: we should sign a petition.

dmt
05-24-2010, 10:10 PM
its no big deal. People need to relax.

namelessone
05-24-2010, 10:26 PM
I think people are missing the point entirely. This is not about how it would affect Nadal's game since he is playing a junior but that it is a sign of disrespect when chatrier has some mediocre matchups that particular day. Not to mention disrespecting the people who bought tickets for chatrier expecting some big names there in the first days.

The point with the frenchies(gasquet) and americans(blake) does not stand because those guys mean something to their tennis nations no matter how much they are slumping. I don't think any reasonable Nadal fans would have complained if there were some other stars on chatrier today but the closest thing we have to a star on centre court today is henin and hewitt,who is and always has been mediocre on clay. Even the frenchies out there today are not in the first echelon of french players,I am looking at you chardy. If there was a djokovic,federer on centre court I would have understood this switch but when roddick-nieminen is on chatrier one has to wonder what the frenchies are thinking.

And the thing is,today's lenglen round-up is just as un-attractive as the chatrier one but for whatever reason Nadal got bumped to lenglen when any one of those chatrier matches could have been moved to lenglen without any problem.

Just think about this: Roddick(a nodody on clay)-Nieminen(ditto) is on centre court whereas the king of clay and a promising french junior are camping out on lenglen. It would also have been a nice experience for mina to play on chatrier to what would probably be a packed crowd.

kanamit
05-24-2010, 10:47 PM
Even if Nadal were to complain, which he hasn't, what right would he have? Your fscking coach calls the French fans ignorant, then you expect everybody to bend over and kiss your constantly picked butt? And people here want to lecture the French on respect? Give me a break!

jamesblakefan#1
05-24-2010, 10:53 PM
I think people are missing the point entirely. This is not about how it would affect Nadal's game since he is playing a junior but that it is a sign of disrespect when chatrier has some mediocre matchups that particular day. Not to mention disrespecting the people who bought tickets for chatrier expecting some big names there in the first days.

The point with the frenchies(gasquet) and americans(blake) does not stand because those guys mean something to their tennis nations no matter how much they are slumping. I don't think any reasonable Nadal fans would have complained if there were some other stars on chatrier today but the closest thing we have to a star on centre court today is henin and hewitt,who is and always has been mediocre on clay. Even the frenchies out there today are not in the first echelon of french players,I am looking at you chardy. If there was a djokovic,federer on centre court I would have understood this switch but when roddick-nieminen is on chatrier one has to wonder what the frenchies are thinking.

And the thing is,today's lenglen round-up is just as un-attractive as the chatrier one but for whatever reason Nadal got bumped to lenglen when any one of those chatrier matches could have been moved to lenglen without any problem.

Just think about this: Roddick(a nodody on clay)-Nieminen(ditto) is on centre court whereas the king of clay and a promising french junior are camping out on lenglen. It would also have been a nice experience for mina to play on chatrier to what would probably be a packed crowd.

Fee already stated the reasons for putting Rafa on Lenglen.

It's not a conspiracy, it's not hate, and as noted even Fed has played on Lenglen in the past. Bottom line Lenglen isn't some no name court, it's a show court just like any other, the people that buy tickets there deserve to see a big star like Rafa from time to time.

Cry me a river, build a bridge, and GET OVER IT. And stop disrespecting other players (Roddick, Hewitt) just because you feel like Rafa got shafted. If the FFT feels Roddick and Hewitt's matches will be more competitive fore Chatrier fans, and also want to throw Lenglen fans a bone by putting Rafa there, it's their prerogative.

namelessone
05-24-2010, 10:56 PM
Even if Nadal were to complain, which he hasn't, what right would he have? Your fscking coach calls the French fans ignorant, then you expect everybody to bend over and kiss your constantly picked butt? And people here want to lecture the French on respect? Give me a break!

Actually Rafa has tried to keep a good relationship with this public who has rarely,if ever,supported him. And they are ignorant if they take his uncle's words as his own. Not to mention the fact that in that time Tony was speaking more from a uncle's point of view and less from that of a coach. And I agree with Tony,wanting someone to lose is a slightly conceited way of amusing yourself. It's ok to want someone to win but there are haters out there who watch certain players just in the hope that they will lose. Those people have problems IMO.

And to answer your first question,he does have every right to complain. His first match,while an easy one,will be on lenglen,a smaller and faster court while most of them matches afterwards will be on chatrier,a bigger,slower and windier court so he will have to re-adjust to those conditions afterwards. And mind you,if there were stars on chatrier today it wouldn't have been that big of a deal. But when hewitt and roddick are the big clay attractions today on chatrier one has to wonder what Nadal is doing on lenglen when they already have verdasco there.

kanamit
05-24-2010, 11:14 PM
Actually Rafa has tried to keep a good relationship with this public who has rarely,if ever,supported him. And they are ignorant if they take his uncle's words as his own. Not to mention the fact that in that time Tony was speaking more from a uncle's point of view and less from that of a coach. And I agree with Tony,wanting someone to lose is a slightly conceited way of amusing yourself. It's ok to want someone to win but there are haters out there who watch certain players just in the hope that they will lose. Those people have problems IMO.

And to answer your first question,he does have every right to complain. His first match,while an easy one,will be on lenglen,a smaller and faster court while most of them matches afterwards will be on chatrier,a bigger,slower and windier court so he will have to re-adjust to those conditions afterwards. And mind you,if there were stars on chatrier today it wouldn't have been that big of a deal. But when hewitt and roddick are the big clay attractions today on chatrier one has to wonder what Nadal is doing on lenglen when they already have verdasco there.

You can talk around the issue all you want to. Uncle Toni was an idiot to make those remarks, and whether it is right to interpret them as Rafa's, they have been and will continue to be, at least by the French fans. If they didn't like Rafa before, they almost certainly despise him now.

sh@de
05-24-2010, 11:21 PM
? Isn't France a country? I didn't realize "French" is a race.

Nobody said the French are a race. But they can still certainly be racist.

The French don't like Nadal.

And that's the simple truth. Whether you like it or not and whether you accept it or not is up to you. But that's really all there is to it...

Underhand
05-24-2010, 11:22 PM
*******s have much bigger ego than Nadal.

kanamit
05-24-2010, 11:23 PM

And that's the simple truth. Whether you like it or not and whether you accept it or not is up to you. But that's really all there is to it...

Really? What race is Nadal?

BreakPoint
05-25-2010, 12:06 AM

Well, let's just face it and call it like it is. The fact is more people around the world prefer the way Federer plays tennis than prefer the way Nadal plays tennis. That's just a simple fact of life. That's why every time there's a poll on this board, Federer always gets many more votes than Nadal does. Heck, even Nadal and Federer themselves know this to be true.

TennisandMusic
05-25-2010, 12:16 AM

Well somebody (was it you?) said people were being really "racist" in here (towards the french).

TennisandMusic
05-25-2010, 12:18 AM
Well, let's just face it and call it like it is. The fact is more people around the world prefer the way Federer plays tennis than prefer the way Nadal plays tennis. That's just a simple fact of life. That's why every time there's a poll on this board, Federer always gets many more votes than Nadal does. Heck, even Nadal and Federer themselves know this to be true.

Doesn't really matter. Obama won in a landslide here. That's not saying much now is it. Life isn't a popularity contest, nor are results. People "like" Federer because he has won more, and perhaps more people need to fill that void in their lives with his so called achievements. Many things could be said about pro sports and the fans that are created. Not really sure what your point is.

namelessone
05-25-2010, 12:18 AM

Do you read before you post? What does Fed having more fans have to do with my post about how they treat Nadal? Guess you couldn't pass up another "fed is better than rafa" opportunity,huh?

People like Fed better in Italy too yet they don't boo Nadal. Fed never won Rome but gets massive support there,more than Rafa. Fed has a bigger fanbase all over the world and more people are rooting for him to win than they are over Rafa BUT,and here's the point which you clearly missed(probably blinded by fanboyism),in other places Rafa(and his peers) are also respected if not as loved as Fed. Only in Paris,France does Rafa get negative feelings towards him,beeing booed several times,french commentators(see forget's comments) dissing him from his very first FO(in 05'). And he doesn't speak French and he regulary beats up the crowd favourite here,Fed. But he has always acted nicely towards the crowds even though he has had to putt up with a lot of BS from the crowds(see the anarchy during the grosjean match in 05',when he cheks for ball marks etc.) over the years even though he has given them some of the best CC tennis they will ever see.

If they don't like him they could at least ignore him. It can't be that the french are right(as the haters say) and the rest of the world is wrong. It doesn't work that way.

TennisandMusic
05-25-2010, 12:19 AM

Nadal is obviously a Mexican.

namelessone
05-25-2010, 12:19 AM
Nadal is obviously a Mexican.

Nadal is Blackxican.

Gen
05-25-2010, 12:29 AM
The ugly, chauvinistic and envious French public should know what people think about it. Tio Toni used decent language to describe the situation, Fernando Verdasco added some more picturesque vocabulary. As far as I remember the made Martina Hingis unhappy, Serena Williams swearing and booed Maria Sharapova. For nothing. Maybe if numerous people from various countries tell these idiots how bad they look, some French arrogance and hatred would be buried deeper inside?

BreakPoint
05-25-2010, 12:55 AM
Doesn't really matter. Obama won in a landslide here. That's not saying much now is it. Life isn't a popularity contest, nor are results. People "like" Federer because he has won more, and perhaps more people need to fill that void in their lives with his so called achievements. Many things could be said about pro sports and the fans that are created. Not really sure what your point is.
People like Federer not just because he wins. People love him even when he loses (e.g., '09 AO). People just like his style of tennis and the way he plays the game. That's why he'll always have more fans than Nadal, win or lose.

And that's my point. More people prefer "The Art of Tennis" than "Winning Ugly". :shock:

BreakPoint
05-25-2010, 01:01 AM
Do you read before you post? What does Fed having more fans have to do with my post about how they treat Nadal? Guess you couldn't pass up another "fed is better than rafa" opportunity,huh?

People like Fed better in Italy too yet they don't boo Nadal. Fed never won Rome but gets massive support there,more than Rafa. Fed has a bigger fanbase all over the world and more people are rooting for him to win than they are over Rafa BUT,and here's the point which you clearly missed(probably blinded by fanboyism),in other places Rafa(and his peers) are also respected if not as loved as Fed. Only in Paris,France does Rafa get negative feelings towards him,beeing booed several times,french commentators(see forget's comments) dissing him from his very first FO(in 05'). And he doesn't speak French and he regulary beats up the crowd favourite here,Fed. But he has always acted nicely towards the crowds even though he has had to putt up with a lot of BS from the crowds(see the anarchy during the grosjean match in 05',when he cheks for ball marks etc.) over the years even though he has given them some of the best CC tennis they will ever see.

If they don't like him they could at least ignore him. It can't be that the french are right(as the haters say) and the rest of the world is wrong. It doesn't work that way.
Thank you. You just made my point for me.

The French (nor anyone else) would treat Federer the way they treat Nadal. Care to venture a wild guess as to why? Most people already know the answer. And the answer is why the French treat Nadal the way that they do.

sh@de
05-25-2010, 01:06 AM
Well somebody (was it you?) said people were being really "racist" in here (towards the french).

Nope, it wasn't me, but I get what you mean. I thought it was meant that the French are being racist, not that someone is being racist towards the French. My mistake. You're right.

The fact that the French can be racist and the fact that they hate Nadal don't have to be lumped together.

1. The French are racist.
2. The French hate Nadal.

There is not necessarily any causal relationship between the two statements. They do not hate Nadal just because they're racist, but that doesn't mean they can't be racist and hate Nadal at the same time.

sh@de
05-25-2010, 01:08 AM

Hey nameless, this has nothing to do with your actual post (which I completely agree with), but could you put spaces after your commas please? :p

It makes it much easier to read. :)

namelessone
05-25-2010, 01:10 AM
Thank you. You just made my point for me.

The French (nor anyone else) would treat Federer the way they treat Nadal. Care to venture a wild guess as to why? Most people already know the answer. And the answer is why the French treat Nadal the way that they do.

Man,you are either too dumb to get my point or you are way too far up Fed's you know what to see what I am talking about. This is not about who has more fans(that is pretty clear),it is about how the french treat Nadal as opposed to Fed.Federer is loved more than Nadal in a lot of places but Nadal isn't treated with hostility in those places,unlike in Paris. Do you get it now?

You have no valid points,just fanboyism. If the french way of treating Nadal would or should be the norm then it would be so around the world but it isn't. Care to venture a wild guess as to why? Most people who follow tennis and not just one player religiously(no matter how good he may be) know the answer. Plus the fickleness of the parisian crowd is well known so I wouldn't hold them up as valid judges of character as far as tennis players are involved. They are the only crowd with a major bad rep in the tennis world.

BreakPoint
05-25-2010, 01:16 AM
Man,you are either too dumb to get my point or you are way too far up Fed's you know what to see what I am talking about. This is not about who has more fans(that is pretty clear),it is about how the french treat Nadal as opposed to Fed.Federer is loved more than Nadal in a lot of places but Nadal isn't treated with hostility in those places,unlike in Paris. Do you get it now?

You have no valid points,just fanboyism. If the french way of treating Nadal would or should be the norm then it would be so around the world but it isn't. Care to venture a wild guess as to why? Most people who follow tennis and not just one player religiously(no matter how good he may be) know the answer. Plus the fickleness of the parisian crowd is well known so I wouldn't hold them up as valid judges of character as far as tennis players are involved. They are the only crowd with a major bad rep in the tennis world.
No, it is you who doesn't seem to get it.

You want to know why the French treat Nadal the way that they do? First ask yourself why the French treat Federer the way that they do. Therein lies your answer. And, no, it has nothing to do with how much they win nor with how many fans they have. Most people already know the answer, but you don't seem to.

namelessone
05-25-2010, 01:20 AM
Nope, it wasn't me, but I get what you mean. I thought it was meant that the French are being racist, not that someone is being racist towards the French. My mistake. You're right.

The fact that the French can be racist and the fact that they hate Nadal don't have to be lumped together.

2. The French hate Nadal.

There is not necessarily any causal relationship between the two statements. They do not hate Nadal just because they're racist, but that doesn't mean they can't be racist and hate Nadal at the same time.

1.How are the french rasists? They have a lot of immigrants there,half of their national football team are blacks,some of the best tennis players they have right now are not exactly white(see tsonga) and so on. If they hate on the spanish(which I don't think they do) they can't be called rasists cause spanish isn't a race,it's a nationality.

2. Don't know if hate is the right word but there is a general dislike of Rafa in this city which I have not seen in any other city that he played in. He always got booed when he checked ball marks,when he had that banana incident,he had to put up with the *****s in the stands in the grosjean match in 05', the french media wasn't exactly friendly to him(putting fed always in front of him even though he was better on the clay), french accused him of doping also,guy forget said back in 05' that they don't need construction workers on their courts when refering to Rafa and now that Toni ran his mouth off you can guarantee that they haven't warmed up to him. Even though Rafa did nothing wrong,he has always been very respectful to this crowd even when he got booed,hell he got booed for retiring with a serious injury in Paris Masters 08'. Unfortunately for him,he is destined to have success in the one city in the world where he isn't liked.

namelessone
05-25-2010, 01:25 AM
No, it is you who doesn't seem to get it.

You want to know why the French treat Nadal the way that they do? First ask yourself why the French treat Federer the way that they do. Therein lies your answer. And, no, it has nothing to do with how much they win nor with how many fans they have. Most people already know the answer, but you don't seem to.

Answer this Einstein,why do people treat Nadal like this(with some degree of hostility over the years) only in Paris? Why not everywhere? And please don't give that BS answer that the french know better cause they have style/class or whatever. The italians also prefer Fed but never acted badly against Nadal.

The gist of your theory regarding on WHY Nadal is treated the way he is treated is that the french know better. Why do the french know better? Cause they love Fed more due to his approach to tennis. It's like running in a circle. Ask most tennis lovers around the world and they will say that they prefer Fed's style over Rafa's. But will they act badly towards Rafa even if he is second best to them? Nope,only in Paris. This is the tourney when people were cheering at the davydenko-verdasco match when they heard that Nadal was out last year. I think that says everything about them really.

sdont
05-25-2010, 01:28 AM

OK. I've done some research, and guess what I found? Guga Kuerten, triple RG champion and favorite of the French public, did play on the Suzanne Lenglen in 2001.

But yeah, I suppose they put Nadal on the Suzanne Lenglen just because they hate him.

Once again, your theory is falling flat on its face.

TennisandMusic
05-25-2010, 01:31 AM
Looks like BP is back to his old antics. :lol:

Also, another way this could be interpreted, is showing some love to an American. Of course if they put Roddick on Lenglen, it could be construed as hate for Americans. Maybe people think the French just hate everyone. Hey that might not be far off, yeah?

cucio
05-25-2010, 01:36 AM

You've gotta love the irony.

jamesblakefan#1
05-25-2010, 01:41 AM
OK. I've done some research, and guess what I found? Guga Kuerten, triple RG champion and favorite of the French public, did play on the Suzanne Lenglen in 2001.

But yeah, I suppose they put Nadal on the Suzanne Lenglen just because they hate him.

Kuerten also played a 3rd round match against Gonzalez in 2002 on Lenglen.

http://bit.ly/bNrWfe

The cracks continue to form....:?

namelessone
05-25-2010, 01:43 AM

My theory is that they don't particularly like him,not that they actively hate on him. This move to Lenglen is weird not cause of Lenglen court itself but because of who is scheduled on chatrier today,such huge clay names as nieminen,hewitt and roddick,all very loved by the french public:oops:

If a top player(one who is competent on clay,not roddick) would have taken Rafa's place on chatrier I wouldn't have minded all that much. But to favour roddick over Rafa on clay,in RG,is plain stupid or malicious,however you wanna look at it. I could have also bought the move if lenglen needed some big names during the day but verdasco and sharapova are already playing there today. In fact chatrier could have used some bigger names today.

Players who will take the court in chatrier today: henin,hewitt,roddick,nieminen,chardy,bartoli,chard y. I don't have to tell the degree of clay pedigree roddick and hewitt have and poor hewitt also has had some big health problems in the last couple of months or so.

Players who will play in lenglen:
Rafa,Verdasco,Sharapova,Safina and a bunch of relative unkowns.

If anything chatrier needed more stars today,not lenglen. Roddick would also have benefited from the faster court on lenglen.

My problem is not the move to Lenglen,they could move him to court 17 for all I care,it is the context in which it is done and who was favoured over Rafa.

Rhino
05-25-2010, 01:46 AM
Why do people care about this?

mandy01
05-25-2010, 01:47 AM
Fragile egos.:)

jamesblakefan#1
05-25-2010, 01:50 AM
My theory is that they don't particularly like him,not that they actively hate on him. This move to Lenglen is weird not cause of Lenglen court itself but because of who is scheduled on chatrier today,such huge clay names as nieminen,hewitt and roddick,all very loved by the french public:oops:

If a top player(one who is competent on clay,not roddick) would have taken Rafa's place on chatrier I wouldn't have minded all that much. But to favour roddick over Rafa on clay,in RG,is plain stupid or malicious,however you wanna look at it. I could have also bought the move if lenglen needed some big names during the day but verdasco and sharapova are already playing there today. In fact chatrier could have used some bigger names today.

Players who will take the court in chatrier today: henin,hewitt,roddick,nieminen,chardy,bartoli,chard y. I don't have to tell the degree of clay pedigree roddick and hewitt have and poor hewitt also has had some big health problems in the last couple of months or so.

Players who will play in lenglen:
Rafa,Verdasco,Sharapova,Safina and a bunch of relative unkowns.

If anything chatrier needed more stars today,not lenglen. Roddick would also have benefited from the faster court on lenglen.

My problem is not the move to Lenglen,they could move him to court 17 for all I care,it is the context in which it is done and who was favoured over Rafa.

No you're blatantly changing your argument. You say guys like Rafa and Rog should play all matches on Centre Court, when shown that guys in the past like Rog and Guga and who knows who else, have played on Lenglen you try to change the argument. And you keep disrespecting guys like Hewitt and Roddick for some reason, just to pump up your weakening argument. Sharapova? The French hate her even more than Rafa. Verdasco a big name? He's never even made a QF at RG.

But that's besides the point. Your main argument was that it's a sham for a champ like Rafa to play on Lenglen. Now that you've been disproven and seen that Guga was on Lenglen, you're trying to change your tune. It's not working.

namelessone
05-25-2010, 01:56 AM

Because they denied the king of clay a place on chatrier even though there weren't any important players playing there that day. Unless you think hewitt, nieminen and roddick would draw more crowds than Nadal. It's not like Rafa got shafted from center court by a Fed or Djokovic, or even a tsonga to please the local crowd.

And like I said Lenglen had stars,they had verdasco(draws all the chicks) ,sharapova and safina. If they had put hewitt or roddick on lenglen it would have been a pretty good line-up. If I would have had tickets for lenglen I wouldn't have minded seeing a dasco or hewitt match there.

Also, Nadal practiced on center court up until now(thinking that there's no way he could ever play on anything else that PC) and now he has to move to the faster conditions of SL.

I hope they did this just so that the youngster could have a better chance due to the faster conditions and not just to diss Nadal.

jamesblakefan#1
05-25-2010, 02:02 AM
Because they denied the king of clay a place on chatrier even though there weren't any important players playing there that day. Unless you think hewitt, nieminen and roddick would draw more crowds than Nadal. It's not like Rafa got shafted from center court by a Fed or Djokovic, or even a tsonga to please the local crowd.

And like I said Lenglen had stars,they had verdasco(draws all the chicks) ,sharapova and safina. If they had put hewitt or roddick on lenglen it would have been a pretty good line-up. If I would have had tickets for lenglen I wouldn't have minded seeing a dasco or hewitt match there.

Also, Nadal practiced on center court up until now(thinking that there's no way he could ever play on anything else that PC) and now he has to move to the faster conditions of SL.

I hope they did this just so that the youngster could have a better chance due to the faster conditions and not just to diss Nadal.

This post is bs. Hewitt and Roddick are nobodies? Both are slam champs and former world's #1. Verdasco isn't the draw you make him out to be. Sorry but 'chicks dig him' isn't enough for a guy who's never made it past RG 4R and BTW didn't do himself any favors w/ his incident over the weekend. The French hate Sharapova even more than Nadal, so she's not selling there. Safina? Nuff said.

FFT put Rafa there to sell tickets, nothing more, nothing less. It's not a diss, as Fed and Guga have both played matches there in the past when they were well established. So please, get over it already and stop whining about how the French are out to get/hate Rafa. Rafa will win 1,1,1 and this is one big non issue TBH.

namelessone
05-25-2010, 02:03 AM
But that's besides the point. Your main argument was that it's a sham for a champ like Rafa to play on Lenglen. Now that you've been disproven and seen that Guga was on Lenglen, you're trying to change your tune. It's not working.

Nope,my argument was that they should play MOST OF THE TIME on center courts. However,if there are some local favourites I would understand moving Nadal/Federer/whoever around a bit because this is the FRENCH OPEN after all so they should give their players a bit of advantage,playing on this and that court. In the right context,I would not mind at all and Rafa probably wouldn't either.

In this context however this looks like a dickish move on the surface. Nadal has mostly trained on PC,thinking that he will play on PC and in the last minute they move him to Lenglen. Why? To make room for such epic claycourters as roddick and nieminen. Or hewitt. I have nothing against these guys but come on, Nadal means more to clay than them. I would have understood if they put in more frenchies but roddick-nieminen on PC just looks bad. The other matches aren't that great but at least they feature a frenchie or near frenchie(henin).

I hope this move is just a bid to favour mina more over Rafa since the courts are faster on SL.

cucio
05-25-2010, 02:10 AM
If I were French and had tickets for Chatrier I would definitely raise a ruckus about it and demand a ticket swap. All the yummy booables are playing at Lenglen!!! :mad:

jamesblakefan#1
05-25-2010, 02:11 AM
Nope,my argument was that they should play MOST OF THE TIME on center courts. However,if there are some local favourites I would understand moving Nadal/Federer/whoever around a bit because this is the FRENCH OPEN after all so they should give their players a bit of advantage,playing on this and that court. In the right context,I would not mind at all and Rafa probably wouldn't either.

In this context however this looks like a dickish move on the surface. Nadal has mostly trained on PC,thinking that he will play on PC and in the last minute they move him to Lenglen. Why? To make room for such epic claycourters as roddick and nieminen. Or hewitt. I have nothing against these guys but come on, Nadal means more to clay than them. I would have understood if they put in more frenchies but roddick-nieminen on PC just looks bad. The other matches aren't that great but at least they feature a frenchie or near frenchie(henin).

I hope this move is just a bid to favour mina more over Rafa since the courts are faster on SL.

You really think the French are that stupid and hate Rafa that much they think moving the match to Lenglen is going to be the silver bullet this no-name Mina is going to need to knock out Rafa? Mina has no shot, everyone knows that. Maybe they want to give the folks at Chatrier their money's worth and give them Roddick and Hewitt matches, both of which will probably be more competitive than Rafa's match. Fed's played on Lenglen in the past. Guga did it when he was 3x champ in 2002. But suddenly Rafa has to play one stinking match on Lenglen and it's a conspiracy to detrone King Rafa? Come on.

namelessone
05-25-2010, 02:12 AM
This post is bs. Hewitt and Roddick are nobodies? Both are slam champs and former world's #1. Verdasco isn't the draw you make him out to be. Sorry but 'chicks dig him' isn't enough for a guy who's never made it past RG 4R and BTW didn't do himself any favors w/ his incident over the weekend. The French hate Sharapova even more than Nadal, so she's not selling there. Safina? Nuff said.

FFT put Rafa there to sell tickets, nothing more, nothing less. It's not a diss, as Fed and Guga have both played matches there in the past when they were well established. So please, get over it already and stop whining about how the French are out to get/hate Rafa. Rafa will win 1,1,1 and this is one big non issue TBH.

They are clay nobodies. Roddick hasn't even made a SF here and comes here after basically skipping the clay season and Hewitt just had hip surgery a couple of months ago. Scorching matches they will not be. These guys are very respectable veterans but they don't amount to much on clay.

Verdasco has been the second CC'er this clay season behind Nadal.

Ok,so sharapova,dasco and safina aren't selling tickets on SL.

I take it that nieminen,clay legend roddick and hewitt will on PC?

They could have easily put roddick-nieminen or hewitt on SL and along with dasco's match they would have sold out IMO. If Roddick and Hewitt are a big draw on chatrier,why wouldn't they be on the smaller SL? In fact they could have made more money with Nadal on PC as he is big star and he was playing a frenchie so lots of tickets would have been sold.

Oh,and I never said that this was about the win. Rafa would win on carpet over this young fellow.
I was attempting to rationalize this move,if it can be done.
It's the context that bugs the hell out of me.

Leonidas
05-25-2010, 02:23 AM

Also, another way this could be interpreted, is showing some love to an American. Of course if they put Roddick on Lenglen, it could be construed as hate for Americans. Maybe people think the French just hate everyone. Hey that might not be far off, yeah?

There´s a saying around Europe, i heard it in different places. That is: Nobody likes the frenchmen....and the frenchmen hate everybody else. Not far from reality

jamesblakefan#1
05-25-2010, 02:24 AM
Henin/Bartoli/Chardy are the huge sells on Chatrier, plus Chatrier basically sells itself. Add to that the fact that Nadal's match is basically a walkover and the others are likely to be more competitive, and that's why Rafa is moved to Lenglen, to have a name to sell over there. Verdasco, Sharapova, and Safina alone weren't guaranteed sellers, but Rafa alone is a sellout draw on Lenglen. Replace Rafa w/ Hewitt or Roddick on Lenglen and it's a much weaker sell.

Earlier you WERE harping on how this was disrespectful to Nadal. You said something to the affect of how Wimby would never put Fed on Court 1 and USO on Armstrong. When shown how champs of the past like Guga have played on Lenglen, you try to change the issue. Just admit this isn't that big of a deal and move on with it.

Leonidas
05-25-2010, 02:25 AM

There´s a saying around Europe, i heard it in different places. That is: Nobody likes the frenchmen....and the frenchmen hate everybody else. Not far from reality

sh@de
05-25-2010, 02:25 AM
1.How are the french rasists? They have a lot of immigrants there,half of their national football team are blacks,some of the best tennis players they have right now are not exactly white(see tsonga) and so on. If they hate on the spanish(which I don't think they do) they can't be called rasists cause spanish isn't a race,it's a nationality.

2. Don't know if hate is the right word but there is a general dislike of Rafa in this city which I have not seen in any other city that he played in. He always got booed when he checked ball marks,when he had that banana incident,he had to put up with the *****s in the stands in the grosjean match in 05', the french media wasn't exactly friendly to him(putting fed always in front of him even though he was better on the clay), french accused him of doping also,guy forget said back in 05' that they don't need construction workers on their courts when refering to Rafa and now that Toni ran his mouth off you can guarantee that they haven't warmed up to him. Even though Rafa did nothing wrong,he has always been very respectful to this crowd even when he got booed,hell he got booed for retiring with a serious injury in Paris Masters 08'. Unfortunately for him,he is destined to have success in the one city in the world where he isn't liked.

First... about number two, hate may not be the right word, so I'll take that back.

And about the first point, well the French can be racist, but hey, so can anybody, so can we drop that argument now?

And finally, how many times do I have to say it! I'm not FREAKIN SAYING THAT THE FRENCH ARE BEING RACIST TOWARDS NADAL OR SPANISH. I'm saying that you can be racist and you can hate Nadal, and that doesn't mean that they hate Nadal because they're racist. Get it??

sh@de
05-25-2010, 02:27 AM
You've gotta love the irony.

No irony here, because the French, as T&M has also pointed out, are not a race. So I can't be racist for calling them racist, but I can certainly called out for being... a French hater? :)

namelessone
05-25-2010, 02:32 AM
If I were French and had tickets for Chatrier I would definitely raise a ruckus about it and demand a ticket swap. All the yummy booables are playing at Lenglen!!! :mad:

Epic win:)

And come on,PC is bigger,they should move Rafa and Sharapova over to PC so that more people have a chance to boo. Be fair,give everybody a chance.
Too bad Hingis isn't playing. The crowd would have had a field day with her.

The french would pay top dollar for a Nadal(boo cause they don't like him), Roddick(cause he is american), Sharapova(you know why) and Serena schedule on a particular day. They would boo till they can't boo no more and they would all go home satisfied.:)

zagor
05-25-2010, 02:41 AM

Indian.

A little tribute to a former poster here :)

namelessone
05-25-2010, 02:42 AM
When shown how champs of the past like Guga have played on Lenglen, you try to change the issue. Just admit this isn't that big of a deal and move on with it.

Fed and Nadal should play on center courts most of the time. It is a right they have earned by being the best players in this generation. Also,most spectators who bought tickets to PC expect Rafa and Fed there,they got screwed royally today.
I understand exceptions being made when home favourites are involved.
I don't understand exceptions when they are done for no apparent reason and in a context that seems out of place.

Bottom line is this: In ALL GS's,the very top guys should play on the top courts,the only exception being for home favourites or when weather issues arise and you have to finish a particular match.

For me this wouldn't normally be a big deal. I'm not the kind to obsess over such small things. But the context is just wrong. If they would have put djoker,fed,soderling,whoever in Rafa's place on chatrier I would have understood it. You can rationalize such things,sod was a finalist here last year,fed is champ,djoker is a very good CC'er and so on. I can't understand however when roddick,the worst CC'er in the top10 is put on PC(a guy who basically skipped CC season) and hewitt,a respectable veteran who had physical problems this year and whose last QF here was in 04'. Maybe they were just being nice to hewitt and wanted to have a chance to boo roddick on PC,who knows?

Halba
05-25-2010, 02:45 AM

nope. hardly does. he is french speaking and pro french crowd love him.

roddick and hewitt for chrissakes on centre? they are not great on clay

namelessone
05-25-2010, 02:48 AM
nope. hardly does. he is french speaking and pro french crowd love him.

roddick and hewitt for chrissakes on centre? they are joke material on clay.

Federer has played on Lenglen.

Players rarely play all matches on CC but if guys like Nadal or Fed are bumped from CC I expect it to be for a damn good reason,like if they want to give a fellow frenchie another shot or if there are problems with the weather and so on. What happened with today's scheduling and Nadal's move to Lenglen,favouring roddick and hewitt over him,is just plain embarrassing.

gold soundz
05-25-2010, 02:59 AM
They're probably sick of Nadal and want him to lose at some point. Therefore maybe they put him on Lenglen for these two reasons:

1. It might get to him mentally that he's not playing on center court despite the fact that he's the king of clay.

2. Lenglen plays faster than center court apparently.

However, I don't think this will affect Rafa.

jerriy
05-25-2010, 03:15 AM
Some people need to get over themselves.

If Suzanne Lenglen was good enough for triple Champ and one of the best ever (Guga) then it's good enough for Rafa who has only one more of the same trophy.

jamesblakefan#1
05-25-2010, 03:29 AM
Bottom line is this: In ALL GS's,the very top guys should play on the top courts,the only exception being for home favourites or when weather issues arise and you have to finish a particular match.

And Lenglen isn't a top court anymore? When did this happen?

Again it's not like they shipped him out to court 17 or something (which they did do to JCF last year, now that was something to get a bit upset about). Lenglen is still a main court. And if Fed and Guga can play there, certainly Rafa can.

For me this wouldn't normally be a big deal. I'm not the kind to obsess over such small things. But the context is just wrong. If they would have put djoker,fed,soderling,whoever in Rafa's place on chatrier I would have understood it. You can rationalize such things,sod was a finalist here last year,fed is champ,djoker is a very good CC'er and so on. I can't understand however when roddick,the worst CC'er in the top10 is put on PC(a guy who basically skipped CC season) and hewitt,a respectable veteran who had physical problems this year and whose last QF here was in 04'. Maybe they were just being nice to hewitt and wanted to have a chance to boo roddick on PC,who knows?

Hewitt and Rod are both former #1s. It's not like they are nobodies. And it isn't 'no good reason'. Henin/Bartoli are the selling cards at Chatrier already, so stacking Rafa on there wouldn't have helped as much as it will on Lenglen, which needed a star to sell. Add to that the fact that Rafa's match isn't likely to be competitive, and Roddick/Hewitt's are, and that is why Rafa is on Lenglen. It's just a freaking court for christs' sake. Get over it. And stop ignoring my main points just because you have no rebuttal to rationale.

nfor304
05-25-2010, 04:02 AM
Nadal's match will be just Nadal smashing some unknown guy, while Roddick's match is probably going to be far more exciting since Nieminan has the ability to pull off an upset

namelessone
05-25-2010, 04:03 AM
And Lenglen isn't a top court anymore? When did this happen?

Again it's not like they shipped him out to court 17 or something (which they did do to JCF last year, now that was something to get a bit upset about). Lenglen is still a main court. And if Fed and Guga can play there, certainly Rafa can.

PC is the main court,SL is a big one but it is the second one,with a smaller capacity. The finals are played on Chatrier and that should tell you everything.

Hewitt and Rod are both former #1s. It's not like they are nobodies. And it isn't 'no good reason'. Henin/Bartoli are the selling cards at Chatrier already, so stacking Rafa on there wouldn't have helped as much as it will on Lenglen, which needed a star to sell. Add to that the fact that Rafa's match isn't likely to be competitive, and Roddick/Hewitt's are, and that is why Rafa is on Lenglen. It's just a freaking court for christs' sake. Get over it. And stop ignoring my main points just because you have no rebuttal to rationale.

Your main point is that if Fed/Guga/and others can play on Lenglen,Rafa should too. I didn't disagree with is per se,I just think it should be done in the right context and I stated above what the right context should be where Nadal and all big champs are concerned. It's not like he is a nobody so that you can bounce him from PC,you better have a good reason.

The frenchies did the same thing last year. Rafa was NR.1 and in the second round he got Lenglen while playing Tabashvili. And he got to play last on lenglen,with safina,santoro,simon and sharapova playing first. He got bumped from PC but look who was playing: murray the nr.3 seed,the champ ivanovic,cornet(frenchie),ouana-safin(and ouana got massive support) and venus williams. Rafa could have played here as well if v.williams or murray was bumped but it was a more respectable line-up than what PC has today.

It's not just a freaking court. It's not the court that matters. It's the gesture that counts and it's an embarrasing one IMO,pushing the 4 times champ to the secondary court when there are mediocre clay match-up happening on PC,match-ups that don't even feature frenchies in some cases.

I hope it works out for them. I hope they sell out in Lenglen and that Nadal gets through.

namelessone
05-25-2010, 04:06 AM
Nadal's match will be just Nadal smashing some unknown guy, while Roddick's match is probably going to be far more exciting since Nieminan has the ability to pull off an upset

And if roddick would have been upset by nieminen on Lenglen(which JBF#1 says is still a main court),would it have been less exciting? Monfils's match with Roddick there last year was thrilling,though I did feel very bad for roddick with the crowd making fun of him and even monfils being too cocky for his own good.
Maybe they put it on PC so that more people can boo and hiss at roddick if he gets upset by nieminen:). Who knows?

CMM
05-25-2010, 04:50 AM
Rafael Nadal: "I am getting great support from the fans in Roland Garros. Many thanks."

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=397611849521

Someone said that during Federer's post match interview on court, when the interviewer mentioned Rafa's name as a possible final opponent, the public already started booing.

Hitman
05-25-2010, 04:54 AM
I guess they may also be thinking that Rafa will likely win the title and will have plenty of chances to play on the main court.

Roddick and Hewitt are playing their weakest Slam, so they may not get another chance.

I'm sure most of Rafa's matches will be on centre court.

Safin4ever
05-25-2010, 04:56 AM
I cant believe that these partisan racist French ****ers have the balls to put the legendary Nadal on a second grade court.

Sartorius
05-25-2010, 05:14 AM
I personally was surprised as well, but I think there is no need to make a huge fuss out of this or even worse, make up a "context".

For those who wonder, Federer as No.1 and finalist played on Lenglen before.

cknobman
05-25-2010, 06:53 AM
Nadals gonna play on Lenglen and hes gonna like it!!!!

rocket
05-25-2010, 09:34 AM
Indian.

A little tribute to a former poster here :)

correction: Pakistani. haven't you noticed how he follows his routines "religiously"?

Cesc Fabregas
05-25-2010, 01:08 PM
People like Federer not just because he wins. People love him even when he loses (e.g., '09 AO). People just like his style of tennis and the way he plays the game. That's why he'll always have more fans than Nadal, win or lose.

And that's my point. More people prefer "The Art of Tennis" than "Winning Ugly". :shock:

Accept thats not true, you really think Federer would have so many fans if he had won 0 grand slam titles in his career? Of course he wouldn't.

jamesblakefan#1
05-25-2010, 01:13 PM
Accept thats not true, you really think Federer would have so many fans if he had won 0 grand slam titles in his career? Of course he wouldn't.

This coming from a glory hunting bitter Sampras/Nadal fan.

Cesc Fabregas
05-25-2010, 01:15 PM
This coming from a glory hunting bitter Sampras/Nadal fan.

What this got to do with you? If I were you I would ask the mods to change my username to RogerFedererfan#1. :oops:

joeri888
05-25-2010, 01:17 PM
So, the organizers were kinda right. Chatrier got an epic, while Lenglen got a snoozefest.

Too bad they don't always do this (yes, also for Federer.. put Murray-Gasquet there)

You can always see which matches are gonna be tight and good. They should be on the showcourts. Not the boring Nadal and Federer first rounds. Even though more people watch. They should try and please the real tennisfan, not just the casual slamfollower.

BreakPoint
05-25-2010, 01:22 PM
Answer this Einstein,why do people treat Nadal like this(with some degree of hostility over the years) only in Paris? Why not everywhere? And please don't give that BS answer that the french know better cause they have style/class or whatever. The italians also prefer Fed but never acted badly against Nadal.

The gist of your theory regarding on WHY Nadal is treated the way he is treated is that the french know better. Why do the french know better? Cause they love Fed more due to his approach to tennis. It's like running in a circle. Ask most tennis lovers around the world and they will say that they prefer Fed's style over Rafa's. But will they act badly towards Rafa even if he is second best to them? Nope,only in Paris. This is the tourney when people were cheering at the davydenko-verdasco match when they heard that Nadal was out last year. I think that says everything about them really.
I guess you're just never going to get it. How sad. :(

Why don't you ask a French person? Maybe they could spell it out for you.

And, yes, it does have something to do with the French having culture and being sophisticated.

Cesc Fabregas
05-25-2010, 01:24 PM

And, yes, it does have something to do with the French having culture and being sophisticated.

I guess the Wimbledon crowd aren't sophisticated , after they voted Nadal as their favourite player above Federer. :oops:

jamesblakefan#1
05-25-2010, 01:33 PM
What this got to do with you? If I were you I would ask the mods to change my username to RogerFedererfan#1. :oops:

You always seem to disappear whenever Rafa's in a slump, then once CC season comes around and Rafa's doing well you come back. Now who's the gloryhunter again?

BreakPoint
05-25-2010, 01:41 PM
If both Federer and Nadal had zero Slams, Federer would still have more fans than Nadal. It all comes down to playing style. Federer is an artist, Nadal is a brute.

BreakPoint
05-25-2010, 01:51 PM
I guess the Wimbledon crowd aren't sophisticated , after they voted Nadal as their favourite player above Federer. :oops:
Yes, because English cuisine and wine are renowned the world over. :-?

And I highly doubt Nadal has more fans than Federer in Britain. But if it were true, what does that say about the difference in sophistication between the French and the Brits? :oops:

namelessone
05-25-2010, 02:10 PM

I guess you will always learn to ignore arguments that don't go with your "fed is best" fits-all rationale. How sad.

The question isn't why the french prefer fed over rafa. Many people do that all over the world. The question is why is paris the only city in the world where he is met with some degree of hostility(so to speak)?

The italians also have culture and refined taste. They also love Fed more. But they also love Nadal and never acted against him. Why is that? Try to answer this question please.

Oh and Fed never won Rome just like RG until 2009. And Rafa stopped him once there when fed played the best cc match of his career. Yet the italians still loved Nadal,though they clearly love Fed more. So again,why is it that in two places of culture(rome-paris) that love fed over rafa,only in Paris does Rafa have hostility against him?

fedfan08
05-25-2010, 02:24 PM
So, the organizers were kinda right. Chatrier got an epic, while Lenglen got a snoozefest.

Too bad they don't always do this (yes, also for Federer.. put Murray-Gasquet there)

You can always see which matches are gonna be tight and good. They should be on the showcourts. Not the boring Nadal and Federer first rounds. Even though more people watch. They should try and please the real tennisfan, not just the casual slamfollower.Yeah right like they're going to put two journeymen on CC because it might go 10-8 in the 5th set. Nadal's match was a lot tougher than the scoreline indicated.

If it's true that Nadal was put on SL because they needed a 'marquee' match on that court to sell tickets then it seems to me it has zero to do with the competitiveness of the match. I still don't get though why someone like Roddick gets PC and they stick Andy Murray on court #1. I guess ESPN must have some sway in what courts he plays on.

jamesblakefan#1
05-25-2010, 02:45 PM
Yeah right like they're going to put two journeymen on CC because it might go 10-8 in the 5th set. Nadal's match was a lot tougher than the scoreline indicated.

If it's true that Nadal was put on SL because they needed a 'marquee' match on that court to sell tickets then it seems to me it has zero to do with the competitiveness of the match. I still don't get though why someone like Roddick gets PC and they stick Andy Murray on court #1. I guess ESPN must have some sway in what courts he plays on.

Roddick didn't play any of his 4 matches on Chatrier last year.

CMM
05-26-2010, 11:37 AM
Tomorrow there are chances to rain and they scheduled him to play the last match of the day. :rolleyes: I don't want to believe these conspiracy theories, but this is too much! :mad::evil:

Al Czervik
05-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Nameless, Rafa is a great kid off the court and still seems super humble. But, when I watch him jumping around like a monkey before the match, butt picking, other OCD antics, excessive celebrations, I can't help but root against him. The same with Murray. Seems like a decent guy with a dry sense of humor, but his on court antics are so ridiculous.

Fed is sort of the opposite. He says some semi-arrogant things and seems a bit of a $3 bill at times focusing on his fashion, not to mention the rockstar behavior hanging around with the Bush guy and the fashion chick...but he is all business and so smooth on court that I don't care about that crap.

Of course, maybe the French are just racists/nationalists and simply hate the Spanish kid.

jamesblakefan#1
05-26-2010, 11:46 AM
Veronique, a Nadal fan, posted this in the other thread.

No, that's the organizers' attempt to get the Lenglen seats sold out. The organizers' decisions have to do with the business aspect of the tournament mostly.
Regardless, Lenglen is a centre court and all top players get to play there. It's being misinterpreted as a slap in the face by people who've never been to RG and don't understand how the courts work. People pay about the same for a seat on Chatrier or Lenglen. When they buy tickets, it's always specified that the players' level and quality of play is equivalent on both courts and one cannot predict who will play where. It'd better be true, otherwise the people who picked Lenglen over Chatrier for big bucks will surely notice and ask for a refund!!
(The first week, RG has 2 main big centre courts, one "lesser" and smaller centre court which is court #1 and "annex" courts: all the others. You can buy 3 types of tickets: only "annex" courts, Chatrier + all courts except Lenglen or Lenglen + all courts except Chatrier. When your favorite player happens to play on the centre court for which you don't have a ticket, it's customary to swap or exchange tickets in or outside the stadium with people who prefer the other main court's program. If no major star was ever programmed on Lenglen, people would never buy those tickets, period. Everyone would buy Chatrier. This is precisely what the organizers need to avoid since their interest is to fill up both main courts. IMO, they put very popular names like Rafa and Sharapova from the get go, so that people get the message loud and clear that Lenglen is NOT a poor man's chatrier and that people who buy tickets there will get to see some big names all week.)

jackson vile
05-26-2010, 11:55 AM
Tomorrow there are chances to rain and they scheduled him to play the last match of the day. :rolleyes: I don't want to believe these conspiracy theories, but this is too much! :mad::evil:

Good, the Gods have spoken then. You see, the French can do what they want, but they can't do anything to stop the heavy conditions.

CMM
05-26-2010, 12:03 PM
Good, the Gods have spoken then. You see, the French can do what they want, but they can't do anything to stop the heavy conditions.

If the forecast is right and it will rain, he might not be able to finish the match tomorrow. He might not even get the chance to start it.
Why would they schedule him last? It's clear that they do this in order to upset him.

Hitman
05-26-2010, 12:10 PM

LOL!!!

Unless they make a roof in time, and say that Rafa must play under these conditions!!!!

Seriously though, I don't think it makes much of difference. Rafa is still walking out the champion this year.

Rippy
05-26-2010, 12:18 PM

When did they do that? Last year, there was a poll held at Wimbledon for the "Favourite Wimbledon Champion" and Federer won. Boris Becker announced it.

Cyan
05-26-2010, 12:42 PM
If the forecast is right and it will rain, he might not be able to finish the match tomorrow. He might not even get the chance to start it.
Why would they schedule him last? It's clear that they do this in order to upset him.

They are sabotaging Rafa. They hate him. They are the lowest of the scum and are willing to play all the mind games possible to upset him.

BTW, did you see the French crowd during the Monfils' match? Yuck, talk about Eurotrash:oops:

Commando Tennis Shorts
05-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Um, they must have changed the schedule or something, b/c it now shows roddick on lenglen and nadal on chatrier

jamesblakefan#1
05-26-2010, 02:20 PM
Um, they must have changed the schedule or something, b/c it now shows roddick on lenglen and nadal on chatrier

This thread was started 2 days ago when Nadal played on Lenglen. Notice it says 1st match.

CMM
05-27-2010, 03:06 AM
Nice to see that I was right. :rolleyes:

dmt
05-27-2010, 03:10 AM
anyone know how many hours before the nadal match starts?

fedfan08
05-27-2010, 04:19 AM
Why would they schedule him last? It's clear that they do this in order to upset him.Nadal's opponet is playing doubles and was playing a match that went late yesterday, hence they schedule the match last to give him more time between matches.

CMM
05-27-2010, 04:26 AM
Nadal's opponet is playing doubles and was playing a match that went late yesterday, hence they schedule the match last to give him more time between matches.

So what? His opponent will have more time, but if the match doesn't start today, the winner of the match would have to play for two consecutive days.
Playing doubles was his choice so I don't see why others should suffer from this.

Rippy
05-27-2010, 04:58 AM
So what? His opponent will have more time, but if the match doesn't start today, the winner of the match would have to play for two consecutive days.
Playing doubles was his choice so I don't see why others should suffer from this.

Surely someone has to play last in the day?

jamesblakefan#1
05-27-2010, 09:15 AM

Dawson Crying GIF

Poor Nadal has to play for 2 CONSECUTIVE DAYS? The horror, the horror!

Seriously I really like Nadal, I just hate the way some of his fans make him out to be a wuss - he can't play on Lenglen, he doesn't like the way the French treat him, he can't take playing two days in a row....it's becoming really pathetic TBH.

ViscaB
05-27-2010, 09:17 AM
Such a poor organization. Typical. We can probably expect a roof in Paris in 2100. It's not as if it never rains in Paris.

TMF
05-27-2010, 11:49 AM

Stop complaining. Every players have to go through the rain delay, not just Rafa. Roger’s match was suspended a few times b/c of the rain. You see any of his fan complaining?

You are a very spoiled fan. Even nadal himself doesn't get upset like you(and he the one who's playing, not you).

CMM
05-27-2010, 11:53 AM
Stop complaining. You are a very spoiled fan.

:lol: Don't tell me what to do.

TMF
05-27-2010, 11:53 AM
^^
And if you need to look for something to blame just to make you feel better, then blame on mother nature. The organizers didn’t invite rain.

CMM
05-27-2010, 11:57 AM
^^
And if you need to look for something to blame just to make you feel better, then blame on mother nature. The organizers didn’t invite rain.

I'm not in the mood to argue with you.

TMF
05-27-2010, 12:00 PM
I'm not in the mood to argue with you.

I’m not arguing with you, but giving an advice - STOP WORRYING. He’s not going to lose in the next round.

If Nadal is here reading this, he would give you the same advice.

Hitman
05-27-2010, 12:00 PM
In slams, sometimes you just have to play the hand that is dealt to you.

Unfortunately for Rafa, the rain affected the scheduling and play for the day. Tough break, but someone who has been there and done that will know how to adapt. He'll be fine, I think some fans just need to relax a bit. Its still early in the tournament, he should still be signifcantly fresh for the second week, and he will likely still be winning matches in straights.

CMM
05-27-2010, 01:14 PM
Finally some fair scheduling for tomorrow. Rafa plays the first match on Chatrier.

mandy01
05-27-2010, 01:19 PM
Roger on Lenglen tomorrow.Hope this stops paranoid ********s from complaining.

ksbh
05-27-2010, 01:25 PM
Really? That blows the 'French hate Rafa so they put him on Lenglen' theory right out the water! LOL!

onyxrose81
05-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Thank goodness. I like Rafa and all well enough but his fans drive me crazy most of the times. He's on Chartrier tomorrow and Roger is on Lenglen, happy now?!

Rhino
05-27-2010, 02:22 PM

Extactly. Hope the paranoia dies down a bit now. Nadal is first up on Court Philippe Chatrier, and Roger is 3rd on Court Suzanne Lenglen.

jamesblakefan#1
05-27-2010, 02:40 PM
What, no mea culpa from namelessone and co who were crapping their pants about Rafa being on Lenglen 'but the arrogant hateful French would never do that to Roger?' Where are you guys? Yeah I'm calling you out after all the bs you posted a few days ago.

jackson vile
05-27-2010, 02:40 PM

Sure isn't going to help the ****s paranoia LOL

namelessone
05-27-2010, 02:41 PM
Finally some smart scheduling from the frenchies. Rafa will probably have to play two consecutive days so it's good that they put him first and on chatrier where he has time to get used to the windy conditions since he will most likely play most of his matches there.

Rippy
05-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Finally some fair scheduling for tomorrow. Rafa plays the first match on Chatrier.

But Fed in third on Lenglen... Surely if you thought it unfair that Nadal was on Lenglen for his first match, you should equally consider it unfair that Fed is on Lenglen?

EDIT: Lol this is actually hilarious. The same people who were saying it was a disgrace Nadal was on Lenglen are now praising the "smart" scheduling when Fed is put on Lenglen.

namelessone
05-27-2010, 02:47 PM
What, no mea culpa from namelessone and co who were crapping their pants about Rafa being on Lenglen 'but the arrogant hateful French would never do that to Roger?' Where are you guys? Yeah I'm calling you out after all the bs you posted a few days ago.

Usually nr.1 and nr.2 seeds play on different days and they usually play on chatrier with the odd lenglen match. Because of the weather problems both fed and rafa play the same day and since Rafa already did his lenglen bit he was moved back to centre court while Fed took his place on lenglen. But again,normally both of them would play on chatrier alternatively.

Fed played all his matches in 09' on chatrier if I remember correctly and he was nr.2 in the world.

My complaints about Nadal being scheduled on Lenglen were just for that context(not in general),when no big clay players or french players were involved in the roddick-nieminen matchup that was favoured for centre court that day. I was not the only one who found that odd,neither on this forum or on other tennis forums.

jamesblakefan#1
05-27-2010, 02:49 PM
Finally some smart scheduling from the frenchies. Rafa will probably have to play two consecutive days so it's good that they put him first and on chatrier where he has time to get used to the windy conditions since he will most likely play most of his matches there.

Wait...so no outrage over Fed being put on Lenglen? Also you won't admit that you were wrong the whole time about organizers never scheduling other major stars on Lenglen to sell tickets? I'll quote veroniquem's post yet again in case you missed it.

No, that's the organizers' attempt to get the Lenglen seats sold out. The organizers' decisions have to do with the business aspect of the tournament mostly.
Regardless, Lenglen is a centre court and all top players get to play there. It's being misinterpreted as a slap in the face by people who've never been to RG and don't understand how the courts work. People pay about the same for a seat on Chatrier or Lenglen. When they buy tickets, it's always specified that the players' level and quality of play is equivalent on both courts and one cannot predict who will play where. It'd better be true, otherwise the people who picked Lenglen over Chatrier for big bucks will surely notice and ask for a refund!!
(The first week, RG has 2 main big centre courts, one "lesser" and smaller centre court which is court #1 and "annex" courts: all the others. You can buy 3 types of tickets: only "annex" courts, Chatrier + all courts except Lenglen or Lenglen + all courts except Chatrier. When your favorite player happens to play on the centre court for which you don't have a ticket, it's customary to swap or exchange tickets in or outside the stadium with people who prefer the other main court's program. If no major star was ever programmed on Lenglen, people would never buy those tickets, period. Everyone would buy Chatrier. This is precisely what the organizers need to avoid since their interest is to fill up both main courts. IMO, they put very popular names like Rafa and Sharapova from the get go, so that people get the message loud and clear that Lenglen is NOT a poor man's chatrier and that people who buy tickets there will get to see some big names all week.)

Thoughts?

namelessone
05-27-2010, 02:52 PM
But Fed in third on Lenglen... Surely if you thought it unfair that Nadal was on Lenglen for his first match, you should equally consider it unfair that Fed is on Lenglen?

EDIT: Lol this is actually hilarious. The same people who were saying it was a disgrace Nadal was on Lenglen are now praising the "smart" scheduling when Fed is put on Lenglen.

LOL,some people post without thinking things through. Nadal was put last yesterday and couldn't start because of the weather and because the frenchies don't need roofs apparently. It would have been outrageous if he didn't start first on chatrier since he will most likely play two consecutive days. The smart scheduling is because Nadal starts first and on chatrier(he already played on lenglen) because of the rain thing. I guess it is also smart to put Fed on Lenglen since Rafa is on chatrier too and they would want the start to be spread around like it would be with the normal schedule.

Without these weather conditions,Nadal would play one day and Fed another day and two thirds of the time they would play on centre court.

Lsmkenpo
05-27-2010, 02:57 PM
My complaints about Nadal being scheduled on Lenglen were just for that context(not in general),when no big clay players or french players were involved in the roddick-nieminen matchup that was favoured for centre court that day. I was not the only one who found that odd,neither on this forum or on other tennis forums.

Mina wanted to play on the smaller Lenglen court, it had nothing to do with disrespecting Nadal. Gasquet-Murray was played there also because Gasquet requested it.

namelessone
05-27-2010, 02:59 PM
Wait...so no outrage over Fed being put on Lenglen? Also you won't admit that you were wrong the whole time about organizers never scheduling other major stars on Lenglen to sell tickets? I'll quote veroniquem's post yet again in case you missed it.

Where were they gonna put Fed since it was Nadal's turn for Chatrier and they needed the stars to be spread around? Without these weather conditions they would have played alternatively on centre court and there would have been no conflict. Who was gonna go to lenglen with fedal on chatrier the same day?

Nadal was put on lenglen in favour of roddick-nieminen LOL.
Tommorrow,Fed will be put on lenglen because NADAL is playing on Chatreier.

Thoughts?

Again,I have nothing against Lenglen or Rafa playing there. But it should be done so when there are many frenchies on centre court or a top clay player there. And Lenglen wasn't lacking in stars that day.
My problem was and still is with the context not with the idea.

namelessone
05-27-2010, 03:02 PM
Mina wanted to play on the smaller Lenglen court, it had nothing to do with disrespecting Nadal.

Ok,if this is true than that changes everything. I did not know this. I can respect them wanting the best for one of their home players. They did the same for monfils yesterday though it backfired.

Though Tsonga(and gasquet before) apparently got the shaft before:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/tennis/05/26/tsonga.french.ap/index.html

veroniquem
05-27-2010, 03:03 PM
All stars (or about all) play one match on Lenglen. Nothing to worry about. However scheduling Rafa 5th on Chatrier today was kind of weird. He'll be better off playing the entire match tomorrow than the first few games today at dusk!

Rippy
05-27-2010, 03:07 PM
LOL,some people post without thinking things through. Nadal was put last yesterday and couldn't start because of the weather and because the frenchies don't need roofs apparently. It would have been outrageous if he didn't start first on chatrier since he will most likely play two consecutive days. The smart scheduling is because Nadal starts first and on chatrier(he already played on lenglen) because of the rain thing. I guess it is also smart to put Fed on Lenglen since Rafa is on chatrier too and they would want the start to be spread around like it would be with the normal schedule.

Without these weather conditions,Nadal would play one day and Fed another day and two thirds of the time they would play on centre court.

Yes of course it's smart Nadal plays first. I agree.

My point is it is double standards from people (not implying you) who criticised Nadal being on Lenglen, are NOT criticising Fed being put on Lenglen, regardless of where Nadal is playing tomorrow.

TMF
05-27-2010, 03:08 PM
Nadal was put on lenglen in favour of roddick-nieminen LOL.
Tommorrow,Fed will be put on lenglen because NADAL is playing on Chatreier.

What is your problem?

After two round, Fed, Rafa and Roddick will have each played on both court. It's all balance out and there's absolutely nothing wrong with the scheduling. As for the rain that causes the disruption, blame it on mother nature!

namelessone
05-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Yes of course it's smart Nadal plays first. I agree.

My point is it is double standards from people (not implying you) who criticised Nadal being on Lenglen, are NOT criticising Fed being put on Lenglen, regardless of where Nadal is playing tomorrow.

I agree about the double standards bit. Everything should be analyzed in context.

namelessone
05-27-2010, 03:13 PM
What is your problem?

After two round, Fed, Rafa and Roddick will have each played on both court. It's all balance out and there's absolutely nothing wrong with the scheduling. As for the rain that causes the disruption, blame it on mother nature!

The centre court is usually reserved for the top players(usually nr.1 and nr.2 but there can be others) and home players. No offense to roddick but he has not amounted to much on clay. That's why I felt Nadal should have taken his place but I have revisited my stand on the issue since Lsmkempo told me that this move to Lenglen was a request from mina,a french player. That I can get behind.

BTW,Roddick played all his matches on Lenglen last year,no chatrier.

Sartorius
05-27-2010, 03:14 PM
Everything should be analyzed in context.

And nothing should be over-analyzed.

TMF
05-27-2010, 03:15 PM
All stars (or about all) play one match on Lenglen. Nothing to worry about. However scheduling Rafa 5th on Chatrier today was kind of weird. He'll be better off playing the entire match tomorrow than the first few games today at dusk!

If every players on the tour have fans with an attitude like you, this tennis board would be in ruin.

If rafa and all players have an attitude like you, the organizers might as well shut down the tournament!

namelessone
05-27-2010, 03:15 PM
And nothing should be over-analyzed.

Touche!
10char