PDA

View Full Version : How does Murray hit that crosscourt forehand so well?

naturallight
05-24-2010, 06:56 PM
Murray seems to hit the crosscourt forehand for winners more than most, especially on passing shots. He can get great angles even on a full sprint. How does he do it?

Is it something to do with his swing? Grip? Footwork? Obviously a lot of practice.

drakulie
05-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Obviously a lot of practice.

I believe you just answered your own question.

pjonesy
05-24-2010, 07:23 PM
Murray seems to hit the crosscourt forehand for winners more than most, especially on passing shots. He can get great angles even on a full sprint. How does he do it?

Is it something to do with his swing? Grip? Footwork? Obviously a lot of practice.

In my opinion, its because he moves very well and don't forget he is 6'3". That gives him more margin for error to hit flat. Murray can also take the ball early or late, hit with topspin or flat and has a very consistent swing. He is a very talented ballstriker all the way around. I never considered what grip he uses, but since you brought it up I'm a little curious.

Synesthetic
05-24-2010, 09:00 PM
Murray uses a Semiwestern grip

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/10/19/article-1078858-022CD58B000005DC-262_468x313.jpg

Vyse
05-24-2010, 09:03 PM
He is tall. You look at how those guys tower over the net compared to others like say Ferrer, it seems like it would be so much easier

slicefox
05-24-2010, 09:08 PM
6'3" ain't giant

Scientist
05-24-2010, 09:16 PM
6'3" ain't giant

Why do you rarely make any sense

Feņa14
05-24-2010, 09:17 PM
6'3" ain't giant

It's quite tall for the type of player he is, though. You normally see the taller players using their great reach to smother the net, Murray uses his at the back of the court to get some nice angles.

I think it's also something that he puts alot of time into on the practice court, which is probably the biggest factor.

ChanceEncounter
05-24-2010, 09:36 PM
It's his wingspan as much as his height. Murray has very long arms that allows him to stretch out for those balls more easily. A lot is made out of a player's height, but a player's wingspan and hitting plane is just as important.

Falloutjr
05-24-2010, 09:50 PM
"Murray", "forehand", and "well" in the same sentence: does not compute.

Choose two.

kraggy
05-24-2010, 10:21 PM
Great teeth!

sh@de
05-24-2010, 10:58 PM
In my opinion, its because he moves very well and don't forget he is 6'3". That gives him more margin for error to hit flat. Murray can also take the ball early or late, hit with topspin or flat and has a very consistent swing. He is a very talented ballstriker all the way around. I never considered what grip he uses, but since you brought it up I'm a little curious.

Huh? Doesn't margin for error to hit flat depend on the height of the incoming ball, and not the player's height?

orangettecoleman
05-25-2010, 12:22 AM
It looked like he hit it so well because Gasquet's forehand was on the other side of the net from it. Murray's forehand definitely breaks down against players with stronger forehands, he can't rally against a world-class forehand on that side. Not to take anything away from Murray because he's one of my favorite players, but that's definitely his weaker wing by far, probably the weakest forehand in the top 20.

Falloutjr
05-25-2010, 12:42 AM
Huh? Doesn't margin for error to hit flat depend on the height of the incoming ball, and not the player's height?

It partially depends on height because that determines the point which the ball drops in your wheelhouse. A tall flat hitter that doesn't hit the ball on the rise can hit the ball a little bit earlier than a shorter flat hitter because their strike zone is higher, while shorter players may have to wait for the ball to drop a bit, which can be the difference between a forced error and a ball coming back.

Synesthetic
05-25-2010, 02:06 AM
Not to take anything away from Murray because he's one of my favorite players, but that's definitely his weaker wing by far, probably the weakest forehand in the top 20.

Stepanek's still at #20 :)