PDA

View Full Version : Prince O3 Tour vs. Yonex RDX 500

brtennis
05-15-2005, 12:39 AM
Hearing so many praises about the new O3 Tour, I'm curious about how it compares to the RDX 500, my current stick. The two have very similar spec:

O3: 100 sq in., 27 in. long, 329g, 7 points HL, SW 327, stiffness 61, 18-20 mm beam, 16/18 pattern.

500: 98 sq in., 27 in. long, 332g, 8 points HL, SW 315, stiffness 62, 18-21 mm beam, 16/19 pattern.

Is O3 really swing heavier (SW 327 vs. 315)?

Someone posted a similar thread earlier but no one replied. Please share your experience if you've played both.

Thanks,

nguyenthuc
05-15-2005, 09:59 AM
They both play pretty headlight, very maneuverable. I think SW 327 for the O3 Tour is overstated (for me, I added 2 grams of lead tape to the O3 at 3 & 9). They both have great control. However, I find the O3 has a much larger sweetspot, better stability, awesome spin potential, with good frame flexibility and decent power. The downside to the O3 is that it feels overdampened (lack of feedback), most likely due to the elastomer grommets at the throat. For more feedback, I would use a stiffer string such as Duraflex 17 strung at 57 lbs.

Redflea
05-15-2005, 04:52 PM
Based on a brief demo of the O3...nice racquet, it had the best feel of any recent prince that I've hit with...not as muted as the Diablo or NXG. One of my pros just switched to it from a Volkl and he's quite high on it.

O3 head felt noticably larger and less maneuverable than the RDX, not as comfy/easy to volley with as the mid (but of course, I'm used to the mid). More power on serves from the O3 (RDX can get there but requires more effort to achieve the same level).

Frankly didn't get enough hits to comment on spin between the two. I wouldn't agree w/the comment above on the sweet spot...O3 did sweet spot didn't feel "much larger" than the RDX...it shoud be larger given the difference in head size (90 vs. 100) but I didn't get any "oh wow" out of it compared to the RDX.

brtennis
05-16-2005, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the replies, nguyenthuc and Redflea.

I just recently switched to RDX 500 and like it. I usually buy two or three once I settle in on a particular racquet. But before I commit I want to make sure I'm not missing on anything better...

Thanks,

Redflea
05-16-2005, 07:05 PM
There's always something new coming around, eh? :-)

Waiting to win the lotto, so I can just have all the racquet companies deliver one of each as soon as they come off the line. I wouldn't change my main racquet more often, but I'd have fun trying everything under the sun.

SocalTennis
05-16-2005, 08:25 PM
I just got my O3 from Prince today, first impression, not good, may be its the string. Some how the stringbed felt a lot stiffer than normal. Anyways, I've just restrung it and gonna give it another try tomorrow, I really want to like it since it look so cool. As of right now , I'm still in love with my RDX500 MP. I'll post again tomorrow for the follow up.

foetz
05-17-2005, 01:28 PM
500 is more classic but o3 tour might start the next generation of player's frames.
o3t has a unique feel. try it out at least.